Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BFGHML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
1. B

2. F

Regardless of who is responsible for what equipment this vignette has shown us everyone needs to be combat ready.

3. G

The French built a base in the middle of a valley in Vietnam. It was wiped out in the battle of Dien Bien Phu. Americans built their base on the top of a mountain.

Be like the Americans and take the high ground with good sight lines.

4. L

We are coming in late. We should spring for the defensive gear.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B
F
I
K

Let’s engage the squatters head on and see what happens. Maybe they’re having trouble with the deathworld wildlife and can be pushed for an alliance. Maybe Granny gets to christen her mortar. Either is preferable to trying to ignore another faction while they dig in and start locking down the best territory and loot.

We have enough ground to cover here that I think the advantages of mobility shouldn’t be underestimated. We want to be able to explore faster than the competition, raid them if they piss us off, and run away when we stumble into ambushes and neph nests.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Update will go up tomorrow, so still time to get your vote in.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
TBA

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 24, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh poo poo i forgot to vote

BFGL

Actually if voting is closed ignore this

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
‘Little Kadash’, Bastion

The heart of the Kaltoran community in Bastion is an old residence tower that survived relatively unharmed. Patched up with sheet metal and salvaged stone, it is a chaotic mass of activity as the dozen or so families celebrate some holiday you were unfamiliar with. Scores of children run about, demanding sweets or ‘tinny-back rides’. Jadzi begins to laugh at you, but she is quickly swarmed by a child-horde of her own. And when they discover that you are far stronger than you look, a new game was born. When twelve of them have attached themselves to you despite your protests, familiar laughter echoes over the babble. You shoot Jenni a dire look.
“This is not funny!”
*laughter*”Yes it is! The fearsome Captain is being overcome by toddlers, the only way it could be funnier is if they were puppies or kittens!”
“Heyya! Get offya! I’ll twist your ears you little hooligans!”

The mob runs off, laughing and hurling nonsensical insults at you and Jadzi. She apologizes, but you wave it off.
“Do not worry, if the worst thing that happens to me is to be used as a jungle gym I’ll be lucky. Jadzi, I’d like you to me-”

But Jenni is gone again. Although as the two of you make your way through the celebration, you think you see her here and there. Laughing at a puppet show, oohing at a fire-breather. You won’t lie, even if she’s being coy, its good to have her here. Everything is so close here, and even the smallest greeting or social interaction involves hugs and touches. It makes sense for a people that spent decades in near total darkness, but its all a bit… intimate for you.

There aren’t really enough Palantor to be called a society. A few tens of thousands scattered across the sectors surrounding the breached Palantor Network node. And even in the handful of places they gather into a Cluster to pool resources and knowledge, there is always a distance. Just the act of being pulled from the Network is traumatic, say nothing of those that were ex-Mechanoid. Everyone is helpful to each other, but most are too caught up in their personal issues to pull together as a close community.

But finally you’ve made your way through the crush, up to a small gathering on the roof. They’re all older, the heads of the various families chatting about the issues they're facing over a shared bottle of fermented mushroom juice. Another round of introductions and hugs ensue, until you’re introduced to Elder Luck. She’s the oldest Kaltoran you’ve ever seen, impossible to tell where the smile ends and the wrinkles begin. You make a show of clearing your nonexistent throat, and nod to her.
“Elder Luck, my friend Jadzi tells me that you and your family are skilled mechanics. In my travels, I have come across plans for an old-tech recycler.”
You hold out a holocrys which promptly displays complicated schematics.
“Unfortunately I lack the ability and wherewithal to construct the device, but I thought that you and yours would be able to do so easily.”

Elder Luck peers at you for a long moment, her ears twitching quickly. You’re about to lower your hand and admit failure when she erupts into laughter.
“Ohoho, I only wish you had a proper face dearieya. So earnest for a lady-electronic, your Swagger-child coached you well. You came here when you didn’t haveta and tried to honor our ways, so I accept the gift in the spirit in which it was given.”

She takes the holocrys and pats the sitting cushion in front of her. As you sit, she takes your hands.
“Now, the chatter is that you want to put roots down on Mishpacha. I would know your heart before you do thisya. My childhood was spent on this world, I might be the last person to have lived on the old Mishpacha. According to many of our faiths, that makes me its guardian.”

She places one of your hands on her chest, and you can feel the quick beating of her non-human heart. She puts her other hand over where your heart might be, and leans in until her forehead is touching your faceplate.
“My heart wants there to finally be kal-children that no longer bear the horrors of their parents. Captain Electronica TenSixths, what does your heart want?”

Chapter 2: Home on the Range
The Jenni, over Waistra Plateau

You bring the Jenni down in a smooth arc, circling the region at medium altitude. No surprises so far, everything lines up with the survey data.
“Looking good so far. Kruze, what’s the air like?”
“Dropping probe…. ah. Looks like the air is more or less clear at the higher altitudes, with increasing concentrations of neuro-effective compounds as you descend. I’d recommend filtermasks on the mesas, full-containment at ground level.”
“Excellent. I’m bringing us in, touchdown in 4...3..2..1. There we go.”

It would be nice to say that it was a textbook landing, but this is the Jenni we’re talking about. But there’s a minimum of bouncing, and only two alarms go off. You power down and grunt in satisfaction.
“Welcome to Waistra Plateau ladies, let’s get moving. Hydra and Kruze, give me a patrol of the area. Jadzi and Cody, you’re on fence duty. I’ll handle the sentry guns.”
“Yessir!”
“As you wish.”
“...Yes Captain.”
“...Aye Cap.”

Base Camp, Waistra

The rollout proceeds smoothly, you’ve chosen your crew well and they are all eager to get established. Kruze and Hydra’s patrol seems to be going well, only the occasional ‘Contact/Contact Neutralized’ over the comms marking encounters with wildlife. Jadzi and Cody have nearly finished rolling out the fence, the Synth Steel mesh extruding from post to post behind them. You roll the last of the sentry guns over to its spot nearby and hand them water canteens. Its a warm summer’s day, and there’s no shade on the bare rock of the plateau’s edge. Breathing through a filter mask also adds to the exertion, and you don’t want anyone getting dehydrated on day one. They thank you and drink.
“Yaknow Cap, this stuff doesn’t look bad but wouldn’t Legion gear have been a better choice?”

Cody shoots Jadzi a look, but shrugs instead of retorting.
“As much as I wouldn’t want to malign the good products of Body Count Conglomerate™, and in fact am legally forbidden from doing so, I have heard excellent reviews of Legion-sourced fortifications.”
“Yes, but they are also very expensive, and this isn’t a cash-positive operation yet. Plus, the fencing mesh is self-extending and self-repairing, as long as it has sufficient carbon feedstock. Which shouldn't be a problem, what with being in the middle of a jungle.”

Jadzi looks like she’s about to respond when she grabs her ears in pain. Cody looks confused, you feel a… tingle in your sensors. Suddenly a sound like Satan’s own whistle splits the air, and an plume of vapor shoots skyward from the mesa to your southeast. It lasts a few seconds and then the jungle is still again, except for the cries of agitated avians.
“.... what the gently caress?”
“WHAT?!”

The five of you watch from around your campfire as Geyser Mesa sounds off again. Jadzi, ear protection firmly in place, runs a few calculations on her tablet.
“Every 4 hours, 32 minutes, plus or minus. The Jenni’s sensors are picking up a release of thermal and EM energy in addition to the vapor. My guess is some sort of power plant that’s very unhappy. The ancestors say that the Archons generally used fusion, fission, or geothermal reactors depending on the requirements.”
“A fusion reactor would have run dry after a few months, and I doubt an automated hydrogen collector would have survived the War and lack of maintenance.”
“Ya, and a fission plant that was left on would probably have melted down. I'm not picking up any radspikes, so hopefully just an old geoplant that’s still partially active.”
“Well it’s definitely on the ‘Closer Look’ list. Of course, that list has most of the area on it, but I’ll move it up a few spots. Cody, were you able to get anything from that comms buoy over the center of the Plateau?”
“Not really. Its still functional, but no traffic has been logged for nearly a week. Which would line up with the Kaltorans’ survey pics with the big dust cloud. Oh, and the carrier wave is encrypted with Eden Brood algorithms. So its not second-hand gear, someone official is down there.”
“Hmmm, something else goes up a few spots on the list. But matters for later, for now what are your assessments of this eastern section of the plateau?”

The crew finish up their rations and pull out tablets and other devices, the portavid lighting up with the data they’re streaming in.
“The area is reasonably defensible, there are only two old footpaths up the edge that could be easily secured. While there’s not alot of treecover, there are enough tunnels and under-structure to defend from an air attack. We’ve got clear sight-lines to the rest of the mesa, although they might not be too helpful if we’re outnumbered.”
“The area shows signs of massive overuse of chemical and radioactive herbacides, most likely an attempt to stop the spread of mutated plant life up from the jungle floor. While the current soil levels have decreased, we would have difficulty with large-scale crop production.”
“We’re pretty far out here so I wouldn’t expect too much in general trade, but that applies to the whole area until we get things built up. There’s enough space to set up some industry, and we might be able to repair some of the old Kaltoran buildings.”
“Ya, and while it looks like there’s not an abundance of mineral deposits, some of the tunnel labels point to Archon facilities. Which means good tech salvage.”
“Excellent, its good to know the area’s not a dud. Get some sleep ladies, we’ve got alot of work ahead of us.”

=====
So -1 STP for getting Cody a combat drone, but +4 for a new chapter. Which puts us at 18 STP. This is good, as most outpost/colony stuff will require more STP. We’ve explored the Eastern Plateau Edge and made it our Base Camp, and its now a possible outpost site. I’ll be putting up an Outpost rules post shortly, but first some decisions. And a new map (the blue-outlined hex is the Base Camp).

Decision 1: What Did We Tell Elder Luck?
She asked us what we want, deep down in our heart. What did we tell her?
A: Forgiveness
We need to be absolved of our sins.
B: Family
We need a place where we belong
C: Power
We were horribly hurt, and need to be strong enough to keep it from happening again.
D: Nothing
Our heart is our own business.

Decision 2: Our Next Move
What are we going to do next?
E: Settle The Eastern Plateau Edge
An Outpost on EPE would be Industry/Security+ and Farms/Mines/Prosperity/Order-. (Note that an outpost’s stats can be changed in play, this is merely the starting value. We also only have enough Influence for one outpost right now.)
F: Explore Geyser Mesa
Something odd is happening there. Maybe the plant can be repaired, maybe we just need to keep it from going critical. But we need to check it out sooner than later.
G: Investigate the Central Waistra Plateau
Some sort of Eden Brood business is going down on the central plateau, you should figure out what it is.
H: Explore Somewhere Else
Check out another area of the region (let me know which).

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 24, 2018

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. AB
2. EF

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
1 A
2 F
Gotta know if the whole thing is gonna blow before committing an outpost.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

AF
Ideally we could fix up that power plant for ourselves, putting our outpost close to it would be really good imo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ABF

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

1AB
2F

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BCF

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 25, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

D is to hold out; you'll need a different letter for your write-in.

1 AB
2 F

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

dont be mean to me posted:

D is to hold out; you'll need a different letter for your write-in.

1 AB
2 F

Fixed. Weird that I didn't catch that. Guess it's expected at this point that the last option will be write in.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Blasphemaster posted:

Fixed. Weird that I didn't catch that. Guess it's expected at this point that the last option will be write in.

I'm generally open to write-ins even if I don't specifically call for them. I probably should give some sort of space for them though.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

CF

Captain TenSixths isn't really the touchy-feely type, and not just because she doesn't have organic nerves and emotions. We're an ex-spaceship with severe PTSD. In the past, people hosed with us. We're gonna make sure nobody fucks with us, or the people we like, again. Elf Granny doesn't need to worry though, we like her.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
1. AB
2. EF

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Crazycryodude posted:

CF

Captain TenSixths isn't really the touchy-feely type, and not just because she doesn't have organic nerves and emotions. We're an ex-spaceship with severe PTSD. In the past, people hosed with us. We're gonna make sure nobody fucks with us, or the people we like, again. Elf Granny doesn't need to worry though, we like her.

You actually miss being an enemy of the sapient races, don't you.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B. We need people to ground us.
G. I’m more interested in the Brood than the reactor. We’re under contract with Eden so we may find allies in need of help. Also depending in the situation it might provide a far nicer Outpost location.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Outposts

Like characters and spaceships, outposts are designed around 6 Attributes plus Traits that modify circumstances narratively and mechanically. Traits are divided up by the Attributes they apply to, and generally you can only have one Trait for each Attribute. Outposts also have Populations, which are like Character Species or Ship Builds, modifiers of the baseline.

When a possible Outpost is being created, the GM assigns max values for the Attributes (avg 12 total), and possible traits that have special requirements. These are based on the environment, location, and condition of the area the Outpost will be. The players then assign Influence to the Outpost to get Attribute values and Traits (Traits may have STP or other costs).

Attributes
The first three Attributes determine what Goods you produce in excess. The second set of three are used to make some derived stats of the Outpost.
Farms:
The amount of organic material your Outpost can produce, based on the arable land available. Farms produce (Farmsx2) Food and (Farms-2) Organisms
Mines:
The amount of minerals and power being produced at your Outpost, based on ore and energy sources available. Mines produce (Minesx2) Ore and (Mines-2) Energy
Industry:
The amount of organic and inorganic machinery being built at your Outpost, based on how suitable the area is for heavy industry/large factories. Industry produces (Industryx2) Machinery and (Industry-2) Tech
Prosperity: The wealth and well-being of the people living in your Outpost, based on the distance to other Outposts or trade routes.
Security: The safety of your Outpost. (ie: guards, towers, secure roads, etc…), based on how easy it is to defend, and the closeness of military aid.
Order: The efficiency of your Outpost, based on how easy life is here and how compelling of a place it is to live.

Derived Stats
Cargo Space: The baseline amount of secure storage space at your Outpost. (Prosperityx2)
Wealth: The taxable population living at your Outpost. (Prosperity+Order)
Workforce: The number of trained workers willing to work for you. (Security+Order)
Soldiers: The quantity of trained soldiers at your Outpost. (Security+Prosperity)

Goods
Your Outpost will generally be self-sufficient, barring extraordinary circumstances. The Goods produced (called Production Trade Boxes/Goods in the FE: Hacked pdf) are excess, and can be sold or used to improve the Outpost through paying for Traits or buildings (these have specific costs I’ll go into later). Specific trade possibilities are:
Food: 4 Food Trade Boxes may be exchanged for +1 Influence.
Organisms: 2 Organisms may be exchanged for 1 Food or a Flesh Rejuvenator.
Energy: 2 Energy may be exchanged for 1 free Commission Roll.
Tech: 2 Tech may be exchanged for 1 Food, Ore or Machinery.

Commissions
Outposts will generally operate on their own without needing you to micromanage things. But there are times when you need assistance from the people of our Outpost, which is when you Commission something from them. You may Commission an Outpost 4 times per cycle, and you must be in contact with said Outpost. You must spend a STP and possibly a Good, and its made easier by a higher Workforce Stat. The general Commissions are:
Tax: May be successfully performed once per Cycle per Outpost. Gain Valuable Trade Boxes = Wealth -2
Work: : Farms, Mines or Industry produces Trade Goods again. Costs 1 Food.
Deploy: Gain additional Combat units, will detail in Mass Combat
Develop: Cost 1 of each Type of Production Trade Good. Increase any Outpost Attribute Maximum by 1.
Transport: Move 8 Trade Goods from this Outpost or move 4 Trade Goods to this Outpost.

Populations
The various species of Haven System generally don’t get along enough to live together with out special research. Therefore you have to pick a single population for you Outpost.
House Rule: Since you are unaligned explorers, you will have to pay for your Population like it was a Trait (2 Influence). There will be chances to make inroads with folks and remove this penalty.

Corporation
Benefits +1 max, Industry, Prosperity or Order. You produce +1 Energy per session.
Drawbacks Deploy Commissions costs you +1 Valuable Trade Box. You produce -2 Food per session.
Kaltoran
Benefits +1 max, Farms and Mines. You produce +1 Food, Ore and Machinery (minimum of 1) per session. Deploy Commissions costs you -1 of each Production Trade Good Type.
Drawbacks -1 max, Prosperity and Order. Mass Combat Dice from Deploy Commission gain
random Mass Combat Types (normally you choose).
Nephilim
Benefits +2 max Security. +1 Soldiers. Organisms may be used in place of, and functions like, all other Goods.
Drawbacks -1 max Prosperity.
Legion
Benefits +2 Soldiers. Deploy Commissions do not require you to use a STP.
Drawbacks (This Outpost is underpowered). This costs +5 Influence if it is located in a non-cold environment. +10 if in a hot environment. You produce -2 Food, Ore and Machinery per session.
Mixed (Requires X amounts of Research)
Benefits You gain the Benefits and Disadvantages of X other Populations. You may select Traits that require these Populations.
Drawbacks -X max Security & Order.

A Outpost Example: Eastern Waistra Plateau
So that’s alot of words, let’s run through the example. A its been discovered, the EWP is an area with good defensive and industrial possibilities, but poor crop and trade possibilities. Distributing 12 points, I say the max values for an Outpost on the EWP is:
Farms: 1
Mines: 1
Industry: 3
Prosperity: 1
Security: 3
Order: 1
And the possible special area Traits are: Natural Defenses, Ancient Labs.

The Influence cost of each Attribute increases the higher it is, equal to its value plus all previous values, ie: 3 Farms would cost 6 (3+2+1) Influence. So given we have 20 Influence and have to pay 2 for our Population, we could do the following:

Farms: 1/1(1)
Mines: 1/1 (1)
Industry: 3/4 (6)
Prosperity: 1/1 (1)
Security: 2/3 (3)
Order: 1 (1)
Population: Corp (2)
Total Influence Cost: 15

This leaves us 5 Influence to pay for the Traits once we’ll produced the required Goods to develop them. The Corp Pop increases our Industry and Energy production, but it also means we’d have to pay them extra to get them to help with Commissions.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
B
F

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
BF

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

You actually miss being an enemy of the sapient races, don't you.

Not sapients, just meatbags :colbert:

If they don't want to die then why do they keep making themselves out of carbon and volatiles?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Crazycryodude posted:

Not sapients, just meatbags :colbert:

If they don't want to die then why do they keep making themselves out of carbon and volatiles?

That's all they know how to do; that's their cross to bear.

You could always help them be better able to survive and process information in this world... but I think I already know the answer to that question. :smith:

wait 'till you hear what humanity was made out of

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Geyser Plateau, T-minus 4:30

“Aaand we’re down. Alright ladies, we’ve got four-and-a-half before New Faithful goes off again.
“Plus or minus.”
“Plus or minus. So I want to be out in four, 5 minutes for final prep and our boots are on the ground.”

Everyone heads towards the airlock as you put The Jenni into standby. As you’re leaving the bridge, a message beeps on the ship’s comm:

Cain Luck posted:

Heyya Miss Electronica! Chatter says that you’re looking to clear out a bit of Mishpacha. If that’s the case, I’ve got a bit of an overcrowding situation here on Eliphas Observatory, plenty of hard-working folk looking for a fair shake. Holler backya if you are looking for a few extra hands.

Hmmm. Chatter indeed. Still, having volunteers is better than having to pay people to settle here.

T-minus 4:24

On the ground, your landing point looks like it actually was a landing pad before, the concrete broken and scarred but thick enough to keep the trees at bay. The facility lays to the south, overgrown with jungle.
“Its only a klick ladies, but its through Mishpachan jungle. Eyes open, weapons ready. Don’t touch anything with bare skin and keep your masks on at all times until we complete a decon cycle. Captain?”

As the only person without a weapon, you have trailbreaking duties. Hydra stands in the middle of your diamond formation, her height letting her fire over everyone’s heads. Larry-2 floats above, providing overwatch. Unsheathing your machete you ignite its arcfire edge, hoping the plasma will make quick work of the undergrowth.

T-minus 3:38

Well, relatively quick work. A slaughter-vine tries to take your arm off, but some quick footwork means that its the one that gets severed. The outer buildings of the facility provide cover from the jungle, but their collapsed hallways aren’t much faster. They’re interesting though. Squat, low, and utilitarian, in contrast to the usual airy and tall buildings of old Kaltoran architecture. Something to check out in further detail once you’ve dealt with New Faithful. The main building, source of the thermal anomaly, is huge. Separated from the out-buildings by what looks to be the remains of a low earthen berm, the building is easily eight stories high and covers 10 hectares. Nearly the entire structure is covered in vines and other such growth, explaining why it wasn’t easy to see from orbit.

Closing in on it you find the going slightly easier, the undergrowth clearer. You crew is not having it so easy, as the raised temperature is doing no them no favors. Hydra looks especially winded, and she gives you a ‘Hot But Surviving’ sign. At last, you make it to an entrance to the facility only to find an unpleasant surprise. The doors have been repaired at some point, reinforced with crude scrap-metal patches. Several skulls are mounted on it, and letters of Primal X’ion scrawled across it. Feral Nephilim. You motion Kruze forwards and she takes a look.
“Hmmm. I’m sorry Captain, I can’t make much of it. There are nearly 300 tribes of Feral Nephilim on Mishpacha at last count, and nearly as mainly dialects. The best I can do is say its some sort of warning.”

Jadzi gets your attention, pointing upwards. Some sort of opening, and old window or exhaust vent. Larry-2 is quickly sent up to scout, Cody intent on her controller. After a few minutes she pales and swears softly. Before Hydra can admonish her, Cody flicks Larry-2’s feed to all of you. A decently open room, large steaming pipes running through the perimeter. Pipes that are covered in eggs. Maybe two score in total, and a few large snake-like creatures lazing about. Larry-2 pans through to a doorway, and you can see even more eggs in the next room.
“Ah. Living Ammunition, that would explain the lack of small animals and low plants in the vicinity. Someone else must have made the sign, but the LA would definitely be a danger worth warning about”

You swear to yourself, in languages no one else knows. Nephilim warships don’t fire conventional rounds, their missiles contain specialized eggs. Once their target is breached, the eggs mature within minutes, disgorging horrors genetically programmed with the most efficient way to kill their targets. Most die off when their mission is complete, but given proper conditions independent nests have been known to form.
“Well hell. The field emitter?”
“Hmmm, of dubious help. Living Ammunition is barely sentient, more along the lines of a bright animal. Even if you brought them back into the Brood, they would still have their genetic compulsion to kill their target prey. Which given their location, would definitely include Kaltoran and Legion. It may provide a short-term distraction, but not much more.”

=====
So since we shared our heart with Elder Luck, we can now staff Outposts with a Kaltoran Population for free. And our choice of Family will color future interactions.

Decision: Dealing with the Living Ammunition Nest
The malfunctioning power plant is the site of a Living Ammunition nest. Lots of eggs and a bunch of horrors. What do?
A: The Ripley Gambit
Retreat to the ship, and blow up the plant. Will destroy the present infrastructure and jungle.
B: Come Back Later
Leave, and come back later with more troops/better plan
C: Sneak In
At the very least, you need to get in to check on the status of the plant. Try to sneak in around the nest.
D: Guns Blazing
You have a squad of skilled fighters and the element of surprise. Kick in the door and clean out the nest.
E: Other
Let me know.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 27, 2018

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
AB

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

What's the likelihood we can get Jazzy 2 to smuggle in a FAB or a bunch of incendiaries, and we just roast the interior, shooting down anything that makes it out? Maybe set off a non-explosive neutron emitter with enough yield to sterilize the building?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

They're animal level intelligence designed for shipboard terror operations. Set up a nice clear killing field and knock on the door. Then murder 'em as they are genetically compelled to rush us. Expect flanking.

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 27, 2018

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Blasphemaster posted:

What's the likelihood we can get Jazzy 2 to smuggle in a FAB or a bunch of incendiaries, and we just roast the interior, shooting down anything that makes it out? Maybe set off a non-explosive neutron emitter with enough yield to sterilize the building?

PA drones like Larry-2 can carry one or two small objects, so he could take a few grenades. You could probably strap a few satchel charges to him, but you'd be sacrificing him.

Currently you don't have any fancy explosives like FAB/neutron. Granny's mortar has shrapnel shells, and your crew has a mix of flashbang/smoke/shrapnel/napalm grenades, a pair of each.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Not Alex posted:

They're animal level intelligence designed for shipboard terror operations. Set up a nice clear killing field and knock on the door. Then murder 'em as they are genetically compelled rush us. Expect flanking.

Yup.

^ ^ ^ Okay, so we also have party favors to drag out the stragglers. Is there anything in the power station that would aggressively rather not get napalmed, that would complicate any "flush out the stragglers" plans?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

^ ^ ^ Okay, so we also have party favors to drag out the stragglers. Is there anything in the power station that would aggressively rather not get napalmed, that would complicate any "flush out the stragglers" plans?

There probably are control systems deeper in the building that shouldn't be grenaded/shot, but the outer rooms Larry-2 scouted were pretty robust. What you've seen look like it was built to last, probably why its still semi-functional after a century.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We should scout around and see if we can find multiple entrances. If there's just the one we could smoke 'em out and napalm the exit just as they start coming our way.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

PoultryGeist posted:

There probably are control systems deeper in the building that shouldn't be grenaded/shot, but the outer rooms Larry-2 scouted were pretty robust. What you've seen look like it was built to last, probably why its still semi-functional after a century.

If they're solid enough then our "knock" should be an incendiary through the upper window.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

E Use the drone to scout out how deep the infestation goes. Don't want to walk into the place if it keeps going past the first two rooms.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
CD

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D. Strong preference to wipe the LA out and take the plant. The more of them we can wipe out with grenades and the mortar from a safe distance and/or before they hatch the better.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How insane would it be to trigger the LA's kill-cycle then run the gently caress away? They're surely designed for short-term operation and won't have a long lifespan once active.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

sheep-dodger posted:

E Use the drone to scout out how deep the infestation goes. Don't want to walk into the place if it keeps going past the first two rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

The Lone Badger posted:

How insane would it be to trigger the LA's kill-cycle then run the gently caress away? They're surely designed for short-term operation and won't have a long lifespan once active.

You have two prey species with you (Kaltoran and Legion), which means the LA would pursue to their best ability. Legion are slow, and overheated Legion (which Granny nearly is) are doubly slow. So the chances of all of you outrunning the LA long enough for them to exhaust their metabolic stores is slim.