Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah it looks like one or more foreign nations are assisting the Paradisians. I don't recall there being any black people inside the walls, and it seems unlikely they went from having no aviation at all to having militarized zeppelins in only four years. Note that the pilot has a different uniform and doesn't bear the insignia of the Survey Corps. That would be pretty great if Marley is so hated for using Titans for the last hundred years that some of their enemies were willing to ally with the Paradise Eldians to take them down. As for Tybur he totally knew there was going to be a bloodbath at the stage presentation, including the loss of the military brass. He even told Magath that he would get to reform the military in the aftermath.

At least until they think the Marely and Paradisians are sufficiently worn down as the war drags on. Then it'll be sudden-but-inevitable betrayal time as they attempt to destroy both Titan-deploying monster factions once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I hope the warhammer has memories of the 145th king. I feel Eren will have a flashback of how Carl Fritz made the pact with the founder titan and possibly some information on the Ackerman family.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

Reiner is going to try to suicide again by his own initiative and actually go through with blowing his head off this time but his titan powers will revive him and it will be the most :negative: thing possible

Only after that can you start the reiner redemption arc

So, if Reiner does take a page from the Hulk after everything that's gone down, does this mean we'd (eventually) get a Hiroyuki Sawano remix of "Lonely Man"?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Where Emmy at?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
How does this continue to get better, this is not possible

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ATP_Power posted:

It's a lazy Photoshop, but:

didn't get enough love

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

ATP_Power posted:

It's a lazy Photoshop, but:

:perfect:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I just realized Chapter 104 features the 104th Training Corp graduates absolutely dunking on chumps. A showcase of their combat mastery.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/yonkouprod/status/989799119047700480?s=21

Yonkouprod says season 3 will be 24 episodes, which means it will almost certainly finish at or at least reach the basement

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpEfsDmMyF4

:circlefap:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Looks like we're gonna get two of Levi's best scenes animated this season. I wonder how much time they're going to spend on the uprising arc, and how far into the return to shigansina arc we're gonna get this season, that's a lot of ground to cover.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ATP_Power posted:

Looks like we're gonna get two of Levi's best scenes animated this season. I wonder how much time they're going to spend on the uprising arc, and how far into the return to shigansina arc we're gonna get this season, that's a lot of ground to cover.

About 12 episodes each? It's 40 chapters to cover (or more like 39 since S3 covers the better part of a chapter between the epilogue and Ymir's backstory) so it's going to be tight, but doable without trimming much if any.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

The author's actual biggest regret for the Uprising arc was being too short. Both Season 3 and 4 will be Uprising Arc: Director's Cut.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

A full episode dedicated to Zachley's revenge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am concerned they will drag out the uprising arc into the full 24 episodes, hopefully that won't happen and they're just holding back the footage from later episodes and not putting any in the trailer.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

A 24 episode uprising arc would be glacially paced, I think they're just holding back the second cour because it essentially spoils the outcome of cour 1.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Plus they probably haven't actually produced anything they can show for the second cour.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can't wait to find out what S3's new fascist OP song will be, those are always my favorite part of the anime.

Well, and Eren getting his poo poo kicked in, obviously

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

A full episode dedicated to Zachley's revenge.

every episode ends the last 5 mins with Zachley designing his chair.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

if that chair is revealed with over-the-top bombastic Sawano music playing then the coup arc's ridiculous length will have been totally worth it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
personally I'm most excited for the yee-haw scene

I hope it is extensively lavishly animated

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Kenny ping ping Ackerman!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/seaofmcnsters/status/990026953301352449

here we gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Haven't people been reading pro-fascist tendencies into this series for a long time now? Adding an ethnic spin on that doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

While there's pretty obviously some Nazi-regime inspired gimmickery around the story of the Eldians and the Marleyans I don't know how you can look at it and go "THE ELDIANS ARE BEING MADE TO LOOK LIKE THE BAD GUYS AND ISAYAMA THINKS THEY DESERVE IT BECAUSE THEY'RE JEWS" when the first 22 books in what is currently a 25 book series are 100% sympathetic to the rebel Paradisians with no ambiguity at all. And it's not like that changes after the timeskip, it just gets more complicated.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So that’s why that came up earlier in the Toonami thread.

I was just horribly confused.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm getting the strangest sense of deja vu.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Teenagers on woke Twitter and Tumblr are idiots who can't tell what anti-fascist framing is. News at 11.
Like, the level of irony and satire in this series is so thick, so foregrounded that you'd have to be a loving moron not to see it (or not actually reading it or engaging with the text, which is also par for the course). As someone mentioned just a few posts above, the theme songs in the anime are virtually parodies of gaudy fascist propaganda, calling on soldiers to kill themselves in droves for a cause they don't understand and ultimately proves to be a manipulation courtesy of the powers that be. This critique permeates every chapter of the manga - the military and warfare in general are hardly glorified here. My roommate is Jewish, and she recognizes the obvious parallels in the series but understands the framing. You could potentially make an argument that the series is saying "violent extremism is bad on both sides", which could be potentially problematic if it was actually doing a 1:1 allegory (which it isn't), but I can't possibly see how someone who's actually read the series can read any modicum of Holocaust justification in this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The crux of the argument is that (according to Marleyan propaganda) the Eldian Jews are monsters who had to have the entire world gang up on them to pacify them so even though the story is about the Eldian freeing themselves from the shackles of oppression the backstory still justifies the anti-semitic idea that the Eldians deserved their oppression for previous sins committed. That is one hell of a way to read into things I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's because the twitter rando above never actually read the series and thus doesn't realize it doesn't glamorize fascism in any way whatsoever

Like it might look that way initially before you actually get to look behind the curtain at all but it clearly profiles fascism as a monstrous ideal

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also they go into a twitter diatribe about "I'm a Jew so I know what I'm talking about" without actually reading the series so basically they're just stirring poo poo.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm jewish too and boy is that a bad take. I don't know why this person is taking the villains' viewpoint as the main one, and I don't know how they read the story that they thought the Marleyans' treatment of the Eldians was seen as positive.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Viridiant posted:

I'm jewish too and boy is that a bad take. I don't know why this person is taking the villains' viewpoint as the main one, and I don't know how they read the story that they thought the Marleyans' treatment of the Eldians was seen as positive.

It's an angry kid looking for more stuff to be angry about. At least it's excessive wokeness instead of the same reading but "yeah and that's why I love it", I guess.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, fair enough. I wasn't really surprised to find out that actual nazis think AoT is on their side too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Viridiant posted:

There are people who take the presentation of something to be the author's belief on something, even when it's clearly being shown as a negative thing, that is responsible for misery and suffering in-story.

I've heard people go "Well writers always put their true feelings in the mouths of villains."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

That random Twitter person has 493 followers and isn't a foremost expert on either the manga or race studies so instead of posting about her opinion let's all talk about something really important...

24 episodes for the entire uprising arc?! I don't see that happening. The author really thought it needed more time? Seriously? No no no. Unless they plan on adding some poo poo that even manga readers don't know yet, like whatever happened with Annie, I really don't see any good reason to spend that much time. That being said, how long does it usually take for an unannounced-air-date anime to air after a trailer for it comes out? This has to be coming this year, right?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

DaveKap posted:

That random Twitter person has 493 followers and isn't a foremost expert on either the manga or race studies so instead of posting about her opinion let's all talk about something really important...

24 episodes for the entire uprising arc?! I don't see that happening. The author really thought it needed more time? Seriously? No no no. Unless they plan on adding some poo poo that even manga readers don't know yet, like whatever happened with Annie, I really don't see any good reason to spend that much time. That being said, how long does it usually take for an unannounced-air-date anime to air after a trailer for it comes out? This has to be coming this year, right?

It could be that they're only showing stuff from Uprising, but they plan to do Return to Shiganshina as well.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i like the part where she posted the pictures of the armbands next to each other like its an amazing revelation

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure they said it would start airing in July this year.

I think 24 episodes will work for both Uprising and Return to Shinganshina. High action chapters tend to condense a bit more when animated, and there's a ton of that in both arcs.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eej posted:

Not totally wrong, but this person seems to miss that the Nazis in this story are the bad guys.

That's like, Nazi allegory 101- they're the bad guys.

There's a vague subtext of "hmm, maybe the Nazis have a point" that's present in literally every story that uses superpowers as a stand in for minority status, where people with the powers are actually kinda dangerous, but that's hardly unique to Attack on Titan.

With only a couple exceptions, every single character on both sides are Jew analogs. I'd be sympathetic to the idea that it's a work of entertainment using incredibly charged imagery and maybe that's not appropriate, but I don't think it's reasonable to present it as being especially sympathetic to the Nazi point of view or dehumanizing towards the Jewish stand ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eej posted:

lmao