Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

supreme weasel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JShePFi-3mU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I've tried many times over the years but I just can't get into early Ween. Chocolate and Cheese? Hell yes, and almost everything since, but the first 3 records still don't do much for me :(

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fenrir posted:

I've tried many times over the years but I just can't get into early Ween. Chocolate and Cheese? Hell yes, and almost everything since, but the first 3 records still don't do much for me :(

Some of that stuff is better live and it makes it easier to enjoy. Some of it isn’t. It’s not like it’s earth shattering music. It’s ok if you don’t like it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Fenrir posted:

I'm basically the same. There's a few tracks prior to Chocolate and Cheese I love, but everything from that point on is gold to me. But same as the above comment, the live versions of some of the early stuff really shine and turn them into totally different songs. Dr Rock, Sketches of Winkle, Birthday Boy, Never Squeal, Nan (although I love the album version), Tick, Papa Zit, Big Jilm, Pumpin' 4 the Man ... all just killer tracks live!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That live Springtheme tho.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It is like Peter Pan: clap to believe.

Inside you know: that function

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoFRdGsrqTk

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Fenrir posted:

i'm completely the same way. the mollusk is one of my top albums of all time, and when i listen to it it's very apparent to me that it was the turning point where they started using the studio environment to its fullest potential. when i go back to anything before c&c it's hard to not wonder what those songs would be with the sort of execution of the later albums.

i think that's why the live versions are so good. you get the whole band up there putting their stink on those songs and it's just :kiss:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I love lo-fi obnoxious poo poo so early ween is perfect for me. Anything before GWS is a little too unpolished, though (they had some cassettes you can find on :filez: websites). One time I was listening to The Pod and my speakers weren't hooked up securely - it added a sort of noisy bass distortion to everything and I was asking myself "why does this album sound so much more awesome today?". After I fixed it, I tried to reproduce it again later but could never get it the same.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I find it helps to just get super hosed up wasted and then listen to The Pod on repeat.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Altered states of consciousness are pretty necessary for early Ween until it "clicks" then you can appreciate it sober

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I still listen to GodWeenSatan from time to time but it's far from my favourite album. I love the Pod and Pure Guava though. They're both those kind of albums that I can pretty much put on whenever. In fact, Pure Guava has slowly climbed my favourite album lists.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DoubleCakes posted:

I still listen to GodWeenSatan from time to time but it's far from my favourite album. I love the Pod and Pure Guava though. They're both those kind of albums that I can pretty much put on whenever. In fact, Pure Guava has slowly climbed my favourite album lists.

It’s good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pure Guava was my first Ween that someone recorded onto a blank tape back in the day, and playing it still takes me back to listening to it semi-covertly in Spanish class. First listen, the first couple songs went by me as sorta weird, not sure if I dig this, then Push th' Little Daisies came on and it was like reading Revelations.

GodWeenSatan, well, I'm still working on.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

The Pod is still my favorite album after starting with Quebec and working my way backwards chronologically. So many classics: Mononucleosis, Captain Fantasy, She Fucks Me, Demon Sweat, Dr. Rock, gently caress.

If any Ween fans in this thread want some more weird, then I'd highly recommend checking out The Frogs. No other band has fulfilled me in such a similar way, combining songcraft virtuoso with uncomfortable subjects lyrics-wise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iliwt9h6-a0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNc6NiDzDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02jO5bkfxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty6tvHymEDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkQ1D4ppz-E

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

doctorthefonz posted:

If any Ween fans in this thread want some more weird, then I'd highly recommend checking out The Frogs. No other band has fulfilled me in such a similar way, combining songcraft virtuoso with uncomfortable subjects lyrics-wise
I'm a huge Frogs nerd, actually! Flew out to Texas last year to see Jimmy perform a tribute show to his brother/band mate Dennis.

Like Ween they were also really cool about audience recording. I've got about 30 shows recorded off the soundboard, the best ones are filled with nonstop bickering at the audience, but man they knew how to stretch goofy little improvised songs into legit great jams

I've been wanting to do a Frogs thread for awhile now. They're basically the Velvet Underground of the '80s/'90s alt scene in terms of influence. Everyone loved them and tried to push them as hard as possible, but they refused to back down from what they were doing. It was a career filled with them shooting themselves in the foot over and over again and I love them very much.

EDIT: Here's a solid shoutout to The Frogs from Gener! Continues on Mutilated Lips, too.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 1, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just announced:

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

That signed album is extremely cool :cheers:

A Frogs thread would be delightful for a band with such a huge output and wild history. Steve Albini passed along one of their tapes to the head of Homestead Records which got them their first LP. They made a stop-motion VHS tape for Kurt Cobain, one of their biggest fans. Eddie Vedder attached a pair of batwings gifted by the late Dennis Flemion to his amplifier, and Pearl Jam has covered a number of their songs. Dennis also played drums for the drat Smashing Pumpkins at the height of their popularity. Jimmy played with Sebastian Bach's touring band at some point too. That's all just from skimming their wikipedia page, they were all over the place

If anyone reading this thread wants to get into em they're streaming on google's music service and spotify last time I checked. I reckon they'd be right up a Ween fan's alley for sure

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I feel like I'm kind of alone in thinking Chocolate & Cheese is one of Ween's weaker albums. It's not as chaotic and uncompromisingly weird as their earlier stuff, or as clever and polished as their later stuff, and kind of rests in that same middling goofy, mildly obnoxious territory as La Cucaracha. Freedom of '76 and What Deaner Was Talking About are the only tracks I'd consider among my favorite Ween songs.

I didn't start listening to Ween until after Quebec came out, though, and from there went back to Godweensatan and worked my way forward. Which is probably not the best way to come to appreciate a transitional album.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

La la Cucaracha is so loving stupid and it took me like two years before it clicked and now I love it.

The weirdest part was I asked my friends who are also huge Ween fans and oddly they all said the same thing.

It’s stupid, silly, and has some sort of dream-like essence.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

I feel like I'm kind of alone in thinking Chocolate & Cheese is one of Ween's weaker albums. It's not as chaotic and uncompromisingly weird as their earlier stuff, or as clever and polished as their later stuff, and kind of rests in that same middling goofy, mildly obnoxious territory as La Cucaracha. Freedom of '76 and What Deaner Was Talking About are the only tracks I'd consider among my favorite Ween songs.

I didn't start listening to Ween until after Quebec came out, though, and from there went back to Godweensatan and worked my way forward. Which is probably not the best way to come to appreciate a transitional album.

Tear for Eddie is a good song too. And Joppa Road.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

you'll pry the worm "roses are free" from my cold, dead ear holes

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rollersnake posted:

You are alone in thinking this yeah.

La Cucaracha is weird because it has so many good tracks but they don’t really come together as an album. Fruit Man, Woman and Man, Spirit Walker, and to a lesser extent Shamemaker are all bad. But the rest? Some great stuff.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Woman and Man is awesome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

:yeah:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Woman and Man has the best Deaner solo on any of the studio albums.

I couldn't stand Learnin' to Love for the longest time until I saw it live. It feels like the band is playing a really mean joke on the audience, it's hysterical.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Woman and man would be great if it didn't have the long intro. Past that it's a top notch song. Like 2:50+ is great

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Woman and man would be great if it didn't have the long intro. Past that it's a top notch song. Like 2:50+ is great

idk i'd say it's really cool like how the argus starts out slow but argus > woman and man

both songs are cool though, that's just ween

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

polyester concept posted:

I love lo-fi obnoxious poo poo so early ween is perfect for me. Anything before GWS is a little too unpolished, though (they had some cassettes you can find on :filez: websites). One time I was listening to The Pod and my speakers weren't hooked up securely - it added a sort of noisy bass distortion to everything and I was asking myself "why does this album sound so much more awesome today?". After I fixed it, I tried to reproduce it again later but could never get it the same.

that's a really cool observation re: blown speakers

i have an old vox combo tube/solid hybrid little guy amp that's supposed to emulate different cabs etc except the tube or something must've blown out because the input floor rose dramatically and whenever i'd play with it it's crazy fuzzy with absolutely zero sustain

i learned mononucleosis, what deaner was talking about, and don't poo poo where you eat on that sucker, and even though i replaced it with a newer version of the same drat amp i still bust it out because it just sounds totally hosed and super unique

e: regarding frogs talk, i really wanted to link from yt one of the few covers that they did and i just found it! bob dylan's "billy" from the old sam peckinpah film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJyN2zI5slQ
just a really cool interpretation, emblematic of the frogs' musical abilities

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 4, 2018

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

I agree to some extent. Aside from Cucaracha, it's the album I listen to the least. It does have Don't poo poo Where You Eat, which is one of my favorite Ween songs. And it was dedicated to John Candy, which is really cool.

I can't listen to anything prior to God Ween Satan. The early cassette releases are too low quality for me to enjoy them and it doesn't help that I didn't hear any of them until just a few years ago. I think some of Ween's early albums, especially The Pod, benefit from being listened to without influence of their modern albums. I can see how people wouldn't be into The Pod or GWS.

Edit for a crazy coincidence: After posting this reply, I hit play (via shuffle) on my Spotify playlist with about 4,600 tracks and first Garry comes on by DWG and then Don't poo poo Where you Eat came on next. I don't even have a ton of their studio albums in the playlist. Most of it is their live stuff.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 4, 2018

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Beastie posted:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Kvlt! posted:

Altered states of consciousness are pretty necessary for early Ween until it "clicks" then you can appreciate it sober

I discovered fake acid (DOB) and GodWeenSatan in the same summer before La Cucaracha came out. My enjoyment of the album has as much if not more to do with it bringing back memories of how hosed up I got that summer, and it's a similar story with Cucaracha. Love both those albums, though not necessarily on their own merit alone.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This work? Live stream of tonight's show.

Audio http://mixlr.com/mike-sassone

Video https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1692686360801068&id=100001791609749

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 3, 2018

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Live in Chicago killed C&C for me. It's a good album but I feel like it's the one where all the live renditions just blow the studio versions out of the water.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

Live in Chicago killed C&C for me. It's a good album but I feel like it's the one where all the live renditions just blow the studio versions out of the water.

I agree, except for:

Can't Put My Finger on It: Live versions (I've heard) never captured that super trippy effect during the "Are you surprised..." part (and I love that part). Also the 20 minute middle eastern chant run-up during some live versions is boring.

Tear for Eddie: I know it's ridiculous to say but I prefer the studio version. It's just so damned pretty and cannot be turned up loud enough.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

me your dad posted:

the 20 minute middle eastern chant run-up during some live versions is boring.

They did it when I saw them in Portland and it vibed incredibly, though it also may have been the drugs.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Got a chuckle out of this comment on the Ween facebook group about the setlist last night:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

snorch posted:

They did it when I saw them in Portland and it vibed incredibly, though it also may have been the drugs.
That was my first Ween show! That Fluffy solo at the end nearly murdered me dead.

...though it also may have been the drugs

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Taste the Waste

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Holy poo poo, Red Rocks got a "If You Could Save Yourself!"

Gonna re-post from the Vinyl thread:
Heads up! Schnitzel Records out of the UK just put up the pre-order for a new repressing of Ween's The Pod on silver vinyl, limited to 1,000 copies and advertised as "never going to be re-pressed in this format."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://archangelrecording.com/

quote:

The studio is really called "Deaner's Studio". It took me a long time to settle on the most obvious name, but by that time I had already registered this domain name. So on this website I'm just going to call it "the studio." First let me give you a little background about myself and the studio.  This assumes that I'll be producing and engineering your project while you're here. My name is Mickey, also known as Deaner or Dean Ween. I started recording myself at home when I was 14 years old. I used a cassette deck and a reel to reel machine and would overdub tracks while bouncing the existing tracks from tape to tape. This meant that by the time I was done --the drums (for instance) had been through four or 5 generations of bouncing. I figured out how to make the sonic quality as lossless as possible eventually. Soon after that I got my first four track cassette tape recorder. Ultimately,  I recorded many albums onto 4-track cassette, and they sounded good enough to eventually be released by major labels....blah blah. People like to call them "lo-fi" as if it's some badge of honor, but they actually sound awesome. There were great benefits to this way of recording though, although I didn't realize it until later on. First, it taught me how to be efficient, because  when you're using only 4 tracks everything has to count. A typical session would have the drums on track one, the bass on track 2, the guitar on track 3, and the vocals on track 4--with a solo coming in on track 4 when the vocals took a rest. The end result was that I wrote better songs, and learned how to get things done quickly and efficiently, without punching in or anything like that---everything was for keeps. This has served me well later in life. So moving on....
In the mid 90's I did what most people did at the time and bought into the original digital recorders with 8 tracks or more, like the Alesis Adat, the Yamaha SW-16, Tascam, and Sony hard disk recorders, they all had very crappy sounding Analaog to Digital converters. The sonic setbacks were immediately obvious to my ears, and again, it forced me to become an even better engineer, even though I was still on a very low (almost non-existent) budget, accruing equipment whenever and wherever I could along the way. To make an ADAT recording sound good you had to wrestle it to the ground pretty much--when I first started recording music the gear we owned wasn't all that good to begin with--hell, getting my first Shure Beta 57 and 58 microphones, that was a watershed moment in my life. I still find them to be the right choice for many purposes. 
After renting (and getting thrown out of countless places, for noise complaints and nonsense) I finally built and operate what I commonly refer to as my "forever studio".  The equipment here would satisfy the world's greatest producers in most expensive studios, only it belongs to me, and it doesn't cost $300k to get the sounds that are pleasant to my ears. The gear is too extensive to list, but briefly--everything is more or less "the classics". Neve Console AND an API console, Neumann microphones, LA-2A compressors, Fender, Martin, Gibson, Marshall, Amps, Ludwig, Alembic, all day long. I'm not a gear slut, well maybe a little, but there are just some things that everyone can agree on. Slayer could achieve their sonic goals here, and so could Barbara Streisand or Mariah Carey. I mean it.But lastly, and very very most importantly....
The Vibe. It took many years recording in many different environments to figure out what I wanted my studio to sound, look, and feel like. we are nestled back in the woods, where noise is never an issue at any hour of the day and privacy is total. It has enough of a parking lot for a tour bus or a trailer truck filled with gear to exist. But most importantly, and I guarantee this, I can promise that you will feel at home immediately. It is a studio for musicians built by musicians and everywhere you look  you'll find something compelling or inspiring within arm's reach, whether it's an instrument, a poster, a record on the jukebox. or just a walk outside to look at the wildlife. Bathrooms, kitchen, places to crash, we even have those too.
About me. I'll most likely be the one at the console recording you when you're here so I guess I'll do some honest soul searching here.  I live for music, I am EXTREMELY passionate about the music that I love, and I believe that if YOU LIKE SOMETHING, then it's good. There are no rules, no genres that are off limits, nd what "sounds good" is completely correct in context only. Hell, sometimes a Big Mac is the perfect choice in the moment. If it sounds good, then it is good. Period. I record and rehearse and jam here all day every day, and all night every night. I know the room extremely well. I know how the music will sound on your iPod (ugh), your car stereo, and on the radio, and  IN DA CLUB. Understand that me and the studio are not wide open to the public, for hire with regular hours to just anyone, per se, but I make myself available for projects that I enjoy, That I can stand behind and believe in. Feel free to send me a few sample songs of your work and we just take it from there.
I believe there are no rules when it comes to studio recording--everything is in play and experimentation is encouraged and supported. If I believe in what we're doing I will open my doors to you and you will get 100 percent of me as well--my opinions are very strong, but my instincts are also very sharp. I like to work on records to finality--recording, mixing, and mastering, although I am open to working with others, and can also deal with management and A&R people and pretend to hear their concerns. If this sounds right for you, call me at 215-693-4215.
-Mickey