Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

the embody is a good chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Are the seat cushions on the Steelcase Leap replaceable? After five years mine has worn out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes but I think you'll have to phone a dealer

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Trying to decide between Embody and Steelcase Gesture. I went to some showrooms and tried both out but obviously I can't know how they'll feel sitting in them for hours.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Embody is peak chair

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

The Embody is peak chair

can confirm

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Yes but I think you'll have to phone a dealer
I emailed Steelcase and they directed me to a dealer in my area. Quoted $180 for the replacement cushion and $50 for the delivery/installation. I guess that's better than buying a brand new chair.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Five years isn't very good for something that's meant to be rated for 12 years of 8 hours per day use.
Is it worth asking them for a replacement under warranty?

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

NoDamage posted:

I emailed Steelcase and they directed me to a dealer in my area. Quoted $180 for the replacement cushion and $50 for the delivery/installation. I guess that's better than buying a brand new chair.

To Coxy's point, the back on my Mirra broke after 5 years and Herman Miller sent someone out to replace the back at no charge.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

~Coxy posted:

Five years isn't very good for something that's meant to be rated for 12 years of 8 hours per day use.
Is it worth asking them for a replacement under warranty?
I assumed it would fall under normal wear and tear and therefore didn't bother asking, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to check with Steelcase.

I probably would not have noticed except we bought two chairs at the same time and one gets much less use than the other. So when I switch back and forth between the two I can tell there's a difference in the amount of cushioning in the seat.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I used spray on stain guard, and later got a wool sheepskin cover for the seat part. A bit of extra comfort, and it protects the seat cushion from spills and just damage from rubbing the fabric constantly.

Thanks. Did you just get a chair pad that sits on the cushion, or something that attaches in some way?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pottsdam posted:

Trying to decide between Embody and Steelcase Gesture. I went to some showrooms and tried both out but obviously I can't know how they'll feel sitting in them for hours.

We just got Gestures at work, and I feel like the seat pan is angled slightly away from the backrest; after awhile, it feels like the chair is trying to dump me out of it, and my knees are tired of preventing sliding.

Which is stupid, because the video for the thing definitely shows the seat pan tilting back towards the back when it leans back, but that is NOT how it feels to sit in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UffocPgvqhA&t=221s

Maybe there will be a way for me to figure out how to not hate the thing yet, but my impression after the first week of use is not positive.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gromit posted:

Thanks. Did you just get a chair pad that sits on the cushion, or something that attaches in some way?

It has a non-slip backing and two dinky elastic straps. I had no faith in the straps, but in combination with the backing they keep it from moving around. Nothing fancy at all, but it works and doesn't look stupid.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Zarin posted:

We just got Gestures at work, and I feel like the seat pan is angled slightly away from the backrest; after awhile, it feels like the chair is trying to dump me out of it, and my knees are tired of preventing sliding.

Which is stupid, because the video for the thing definitely shows the seat pan tilting back towards the back when it leans back, but that is NOT how it feels to sit in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UffocPgvqhA&t=221s

Maybe there will be a way for me to figure out how to not hate the thing yet, but my impression after the first week of use is not positive.

I used a gesture for a while and went back to a cheap weird purple chair our office had prior to the gestures. I really dislike that chair

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Would a hard floor caster have more rolling resistance? I got a chair mat to protect my rug, but now the chair slides a bit too easily.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hard floor wheels have slightly soft rims so they grab the floor rather than slide over it. Rolling resistance isn't really changed in my experience.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Deviant posted:

Would a hard floor caster have more rolling resistance? I got a chair mat to protect my rug, but now the chair slides a bit too easily.
This doesn't really help, but I love the roll-resistant casters on IKEA chairs. Thought I would hate them at first but after using them for a while I wouldn't go back even if I could (IKEA uses an unusual stem diameter). Used to always have to pull my chair in like 6 inches every time I sat down, now it always stays close to my desk after I get up. Don't know if anyone else makes casters like this but they should because they are a lot better for chair mat users IMO.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

NoDamage posted:

I assumed it would fall under normal wear and tear and therefore didn't bother asking, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to check with Steelcase.

I probably would not have noticed except we bought two chairs at the same time and one gets much less use than the other. So when I switch back and forth between the two I can tell there's a difference in the amount of cushioning in the seat.
Turns out the seat cushion is indeed covered under warranty and they're sending me a replacement for free.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Trip Report

With the quiet discontinuation of the Volmar I opted to take halokiller's advice and picked up a used Steelcase Leap v2 for $275. Overall I like it; the seat cushion isnt as comfortable as I thought it would be but its not so bad, and the back is amazing. this one had most of the upgrades (doesnt have the headrest), so the fully adjustable armrests are pretty nice too.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I've started down the chair rabbit hole. After some research and in-person testing I've decided on a Steelcase Leap v2 as my next chair.

That said, is $590 a good price for a 3-4 year-old one with the polished aluminum frame? All of the regular v2's in the area are currently ~$375, so an extra $200 for a metal frame seems reasonable.

Then again I can be impatient when it comes to this stuff so I figured I'd get a sanity-check before I shell out :10bux: x 59

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

IAmKale posted:

I've started down the chair rabbit hole. After some research and in-person testing I've decided on a Steelcase Leap v2 as my next chair.

That said, is $590 a good price for a 3-4 year-old one with the polished aluminum frame? All of the regular v2's in the area are currently ~$375, so an extra $200 for a metal frame seems reasonable.

Then again I can be impatient when it comes to this stuff so I figured I'd get a sanity-check before I shell out :10bux: x 59

$590 is quite high, I got my Leap V2 brand new for ~$780 during one of Steelcase's bi-annual 20% off sales and that comes with a warranty. Also, the black frame is mostly metal and plenty durable, likely just as strong as the aluminium one, the polished aluminium is mostly for looks and does not really add any extra durability.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

$590 is quite high, I got my Leap V2 brand new for ~$780 during one of Steelcase's bi-annual 20% off sales and that comes with a warranty. Also, the black frame is mostly metal and plenty durable, likely just as strong as the aluminium one, the polished aluminium is mostly for looks and does not really add any extra durability.
Well drat, you've just saved me some bucks then. I'm more interested in durability over looks, so if the regular black frame will be just as sturdy as the aluminum one then there's no point in paying the premium for it.

What's this bi-annual sale you mentioned? I can't seem to find much of anything about it; Steelcase seems to want to engender an image of their stuff never going on-sale.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

IAmKale posted:

Well drat, you've just saved me some bucks then. I'm more interested in durability over looks, so if the regular black frame will be just as sturdy as the aluminum one then there's no point in paying the premium for it.

What's this bi-annual sale you mentioned? I can't seem to find much of anything about it; Steelcase seems to want to engender an image of their stuff never going on-sale.

Hmmm, back when I bought mine in 2015 they had a sale in spring and fall every year but I can't find any info on it anymore, maybe they stopped doing that? Sorry about that, I thought they still had sales pretty frequently. :(

Anyway, the plastic they use is really heavy duty, remember they sell these things to places like call centers where they expect 24/7 use for 12 years without needing to replace many parts. Also, aluminium is not necessarily stronger than plastic, there are a number of plastics stronger than aluminium, aluminium does tend to hold up to heat better but for an office chair this is a non-issue.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Huh, I just got a quote from a local vendor, a hair under $750 after tax for a brand new Leap! I wasn't expecting such a significant difference over MSRP, I was expecting to have to pay $1000+. In light of this new info I'll probably just buy new so my farts won't have to mingle with commoner butt funk.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, back when I bought mine in 2015 they had a sale in spring and fall every year but I can't find any info on it anymore, maybe they stopped doing that? Sorry about that, I thought they still had sales pretty frequently. :(

Anyway, the plastic they use is really heavy duty, remember they sell these things to places like call centers where they expect 24/7 use for 12 years without needing to replace many parts. Also, aluminium is not necessarily stronger than plastic, there are a number of plastics stronger than aluminium, aluminium does tend to hold up to heat better but for an office chair this is a non-issue.

I think it's the distributors who do the sales, not steelcase proper. At least I think so, based on what I've seen other people say. So they might still happen but it's moot for this case

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Moatman posted:

I think it's the distributors who do the sales, not steelcase proper. At least I think so, based on what I've seen other people say. So they might still happen but it's moot for this case

Well, I bought mine direct from the Steelcase online store so they used to do sales at least.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
anyone try a Mirra 2 chair? those seem to be reasonably priced.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

succ posted:

I believe the thread seems to regard it as the newer, better, less-expensive Aeron.

For what it's worth, I think I used these in the factory I previously worked at. I recall them being quite comfortable, but then again, when you're standing for 8-12 hours a day, most anything is pretty drat comfortable.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

succ posted:

I have one and really like it. I agree that it’s a better & cheaper version of the Aeron.

Only thing I would caution about is that a lot of the adjustability features are optional extras, so be sure you know what you are/aren’t getting for your money.

Cor Geal
Aug 2, 2012
I have a Herman Miller Equa 2 that's still in pretty good condition but the gas cylinder has failed and it no longer stays in a fixed position. Looking online I can see lots of replacements for people in the US but nothing that ships to the UK - does anyone have a recommendation for where to source one or will I just have to convert it to a static height?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Email these guys https://www.wellworking.co.uk/chairs-c2/parts-c65/herman-miller-m2

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
What’s wrong with this chair? (Besides needing a good cleaning). I assume it’s a Leap V1 but I’m not sure. $60 and only a 15 min drive...

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/d/steelcase-leap/6626787397.html

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lackmaster posted:

What’s wrong with this chair? (Besides needing a good cleaning). I assume it’s a Leap V1 but I’m not sure. $60 and only a 15 min drive...

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/d/steelcase-leap/6626787397.html

Why is the handle so dirty . . . ?

Like, take a damp rag to it before you take pictures, wtf man

(I don't know anything about the chair itself, sorry :( )

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
I have 2 Leap V1's, only thing I've had issues with is my left arm rests have started to split because I have stabby elbows or something.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Are....counterfeit chairs a thing? Because this seems good, if suspiciously cheap. It purports to be a leap, and it looks like a version 1, which seems fine for $100.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 3, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Boxman posted:

Are....counterfeit chairs a thing? Because this seems good, if suspiciously cheap. It purports to be a leap, and it looks like a version 1, which seems fine for $100.

I'm not aware of counterfeit chairs, I'd want to check it out in person but they might just be looking to get rid of it and need the money fast.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not aware of counterfeit chairs, I'd want to check it out in person but they might just be looking to get rid of it and need the money fast.

I paid 150 for a v1 Leap 4 or 5 months ago. Go check it out.

They didn't really know what they had.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How much better is the balance fabric over the rhythm fabric for the Embody? I have the opportunity to grab a brand new chair for 850, but it's rhythm fabric.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I need to replace the casters on my aeron. Is there a good affordable source for these or should I just shell out for the $15 a pop from Herman Miller directly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I spent 30 bucks for a set of 5 rollerblade casters on Amazon and they've held up fine. I've also used this site when I needed custom sized casters for cheap to put on my old Ikea Markus. (because Ikea doesn't like standardized dimensions :arghfist:)

halokiller fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 6, 2018