Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Alaois posted:

can I @ you to agree

That's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/990124360395608065

Good video. When he says it isn’t going to be funny, he isn’t kidding. :v:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Max Wilco posted:

Best kart racing game ever.

This is correct.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was sad it wasn't about sonic 2 but that's the best one.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

dmboogie posted:

What a day to be on wifi that can't access youtube, going to have to wait to hear Todd make fun of Chris Brown again.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
FYI bomberguy Facebook fan pages are proper creepy places to be right now...

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ryan Hollinger did a cool video about Are You Afraid of the Dark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxMkY90QGA

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
who is this ryan hollinger

i feel like i recognize that name from somewhere

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I don't know if anyone heard about this (I checked back to the thread page on the 23rd and nobody mentioned it that I saw) but apparently Mother's Basement and a bunch of other anime youtubers were having their content stolen by someone from Brazil? So that's messed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QN-ahNDLfI

This owned. The Jak franchise's world was so well-developed and fleshed out, and had so much potential legs to expand and spin-off, it's kind of astounding looking at it from a post-MCU perspective that it never came back after Jak X (not counting the crummy non-canonical sequel)

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 28, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Puppy Time posted:

What accent is this?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Irish

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

I like Ryan's content but when he starts talking about "SJW" it really puts me off. His take on "Get Out" was bordering on "liberals are more racist because acknowledging peoples' differences is bad".

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What accent is this?

Northern Irish

MonsieurChoc posted:

Unrelated, but anyone remembers Crash Team Racing?

This guy loves CTR and fits in with the theme of the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkh0NCRaB1M

Ed: forgot about the dumb skit, skip to 2:50

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 28, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Unrelated, but anyone remembers Crash Team Racing?

This guy seems cool (I'm subbed) and did a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8EF8UWh8ss

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Northern Irish

Thanks!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sanguinia posted:

This owned. The Jak franchise's world was so well-developed and fleshed out, and had so much potential legs to expand and spin-off, it's kind of astounding looking at it from a post-MCU perspective that it never came back after Jak X (not counting the crummy non-canonical sequel)

When I replayed the Jak trilogy years ago I was surprised how well the story stuff held up. I never played any ND game after Jak but hearing that they would go on to make some of the best stories in games isn't surprising. They were already doing a great job with Jak.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jak 3 had a good story and a great open world. Jak X is decent, as is the Daxter PSP game, but Lost Frontier sucks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's fitting that both a now tired meme and a now tired take are now converging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxoiWu0i3k

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sanguinia posted:

I wish ND could just make Jak and Uncharted games forever, though the problem with the latter is finding lost civs to find.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They want to make a Last of Us movie with mediocre gameplay attached to it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Been thinking about how my opinion on Movies With Mikey has changed recently. The point where I stopped thinking he was good was the "Joker is the hero of Dark Knight" video. "The bank he robs is run by criminals." Does he think gang wars are good vs evil? Joker is someone who commits crime and acts of terrorism because he thinks it's funny. Look at his speeches about the origin of his scar. Every time he does it, it's a different story, ending with Batman saying he doesn't care when the joker offers to tell a third version. It's a perfect response to Mikey's opinion of Joker's motivations, it's probably not correct and it doesn't even matter since he's just going around murdering people.

I one thing I thought was funny was how Mikey said it took him three viewings of TLJ before he liked it, because now he understood it. If he actually liked it he would have liked it in spite of not getting the themes the first couple times around. I could talk about how the prequels are interesting because they recontextualize the Republic and Jedi from being a fondly remembered era to a bunch of idiots who let themselves fall because they couldn't recognize they were being played against boogeymen by a real, internal threat and the Jedi code eventually leads to becoming ineffectual or falling. While these ideas are kind of interesting, the prequels were still poo poo garbage and the push in recent years to claim they're actually good on a level of artistic merit are idiotic. Good themes don't make a bad movie good, that'd be like saying good condiments can make a rotten meal edible; you'd still get sick from eating the food and you'd still be watching a bad movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Last Jedi script needed a few more passes, more fat trimmed and ideas fleshed out more. It felt like two films bolted together too.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Ross is putting his videos on delay due to home issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0vA64sSdqM

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

super sweet best pal posted:

I one thing I thought was funny was how Mikey said it took him three viewings of TLJ before he liked it, because now he understood it. If he actually liked it he would have liked it in spite of not getting the themes the first couple times around.

What? I'm not sure I'm on board with the idea that you have to like a movie on the first watch or two to "truly" like it. I've absolutely had films (and books, and albums) that I didn't like until I properly digested them, whether that took time, repeat experiences, or discussions with others about it. And I enjoy sitting through them perfectly fine now, so it's not just an "on paper" like.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I will say that I didn't much like TLJ on first watch but liked it a lot more when I took my nephews to see it, so I can see how someone's opinion can change drastically.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
That loving hyperspace scene is amazing, no amount of nitpickery can ruin it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

The Last Jedi script needed a few more passes, more fat trimmed and ideas fleshed out more. It felt like two films bolted together too.

Return of the Jedi is also two different movies welded together, so it’s not like that’s anything new for Star Wars.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TLJ was sloppy but I liked several parts of it and didn't feel like I'd wasted my ticket money, so I guess it was all right. I really liked the direction they took Luke in. That's my Star Wars review, please like comment and subscribe.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't usually watch Vampire Reviews because I don't care about vampires, but the recent episode on the first season of True Blood is a recommended watch.

I didn't see that show through to the end but I stuck with it a long time and still have fond memories. It was very informative in how I look at media, especially TV shows. As that show goes on it starts to fall apart and watching the show break down made me understand the importance of theme among other things.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

dmboogie posted:

"I told you this episode was gonna be no fun" should be the preface of all Todd in the Shadow reviews.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It took me one viewing to judge TLJ as the best Star War. It’s perfect for me. But whatever. I loved the movie with Mikey piece. Perfectly said what I’ve been saying since December 17th.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

MariusLecter posted:

That loving hyperspace scene is amazing, no amount of nitpickery can ruin it.

If I never hear some dickheaded grognard go on a rant about how that scene "ruins the LOOOOOOREE and why don't they ALLLLLWAYS do that," I'll die happy.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

TLJ was sloppy but I liked several parts of it and didn't feel like I'd wasted my ticket money, so I guess it was all right. I really liked the direction they took Luke in. That's my Star Wars review, please like comment and subscribe.

Star Wars is at its best when it's about Space Samurai fighting Space Nazis. When it tries to do anything more complex, it fails miserably (see Rogue One and sequels and prequels in general). That's why Palpatine is the best part of prequels. He's so obviously, cartoonishly evil as if to scream to the other characters "What kind of movie do you think we're in?!!".

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

rvm posted:

Star Wars is at its best when it's about Space Samurai fighting Space Nazis. When it tries to do anything more complex, it fails miserably (see Rogue One and sequels and prequels in general). That's why Palpatine is the best part of prequels. He's so obviously, cartoonishly evil as if to scream to the other characters "What kind of movie do you think we're in?!!".

Rouge One is fantastic though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I like Rogue One a grand deal more than TLJ to be honest

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Linear Zoetrope posted:

What? I'm not sure I'm on board with the idea that you have to like a movie on the first watch or two to "truly" like it. I've absolutely had films (and books, and albums) that I didn't like until I properly digested them, whether that took time, repeat experiences, or discussions with others about it. And I enjoy sitting through them perfectly fine now, so it's not just an "on paper" like.

It's not that he had to spend multiple screenings to like it, it's that he complained about being unable to like it until he understood it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

If I never hear some dickheaded grognard go on a rant about how that scene "ruins the LOOOOOOREE and why don't they ALLLLLWAYS do that," I'll die happy.

The complaint is stupid anyway. It's like looking at WWII and saying: "We beat Japan with nukes, why can't we just use them all the time???"

There are a lot of good reasons to not turn your ship into a giant suicide missile, even without bothering with stuff like "lore"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

There are a lot of good reasons to not turn your ship into a giant suicide missile, even without bothering with stuff like "lore"

There's a very simple answer; "They only have so many ships, and they're expensive."

Congratulations, you used your entire fleet of suicide ships to kill (say) 30 star destroyers.

Now what about the other 3,000+?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I like Rogue One a grand deal more than TLJ to be honest

Rogue One is my current favorite of the Disney-era Star Wars films. I wasn’t expecting much out of it considering the franchise’s track record with prequels, but it really surprised me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all the prequels are bad, including rogue one, and that will continue to be true with solo.

Sanguinia posted:

it makes absolutely no sense. it's like being mad isis builds IEDs instead of just running into everyone with a bomb.