Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I'd watch Archer and think, what if it were a period piece? Like, not a mock period piece, like Archer: Vice, but an actual period piece?

So they gave us Archer: Dreamland. And I liked it.

So then I thought, "So, how are they going to ease us back into the standard timeline?"

So they gave us Archer: Danger Island!!

So far, so good. The opening credits, as per usual, have been customized for this season's time period. And, like last season, the music was also changed up a bit. This all reminds me of how Venture Bros. used to do this for the first episode of each new season. (It also reminds me of Venture Bros. because of J.G. Thirlwell, whose boots I am not worthy to kiss.)

I like that they're not afraid to mix it up a lot on this show, even doing things just because, well, gently caress it. I mean, the show's had more than its share of seasons by now, and this is one unique way to keep things as fresh as possible. So, let's run down the list....

Setting: Big Hotel on Fictional Island, in the 1930s. Fictional Island is a French colony/protectorate.

• Archer: is a one-eyed pilot. He's got an eyepatch. Other than that, he's Archer.
  • Pam: she's taller and less obese; more like an ox than a cow. Still tough as nails. She's partners with Archer or something. (Phrasing!) (Seriously, it's platonic.)
  • Cheryl: a recently married socialite, she wakes up in bed with... guess who... and it has the predictable consequences with her new husband.
  • Krieger: that's Crackers to you! Krieger is a parrot named Crackers. It's... funnier than it sounds, if it doesn't sound funny. Technically, he'a a macaw.
  • Malory: owns the hotel where everyone seems to live. As always, she's Malory.
  • Ray: he's the French police commander of the island.
  • Lana: princess of the natives of the island, but without an accent. Gee, I wonder if she'll be a love interest?
  • Cyril: he's now Siegbert Fuchs, and I'm mainly giving his character's full name here because it's pronounced "Zeegbert Fucks." So... yeah.

One episode in, and it's looking fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Please, God, let this show die with some loving dignity.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed it, solid debut.

Edit Parrot Krieger is a home run, Krieger was always a bit one note gimmick and him being more involved is goos.

Also the Pam/Archer duo is solid as ever.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I'm hoping they develop a nice running gag for the subject line of the thread.

I kind-of miss last year's "(rimshot) ... Stop it!" routine.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
That was 16 minutes long...for a 30 minute show.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Please, God, let this show die with some loving dignity.

Too late.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That wasn't bad, I just felt like it was all setup. I hate to say this but dumb throwaway jokes were lacking last season but I thought it was because they were trying to be true to noir. Not sure what reason they would have to not do that this season. Ray's "I'm shocked" bit was the only one I could think of.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

subtle thing I spotted: Cheryl Charlotte's new husband was none other than IV Stratton, who bullied the poo poo out of "Swirling" Archer at prep school and drat near kept Abbiejean out of LA's best pre-pre.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Could be worse, at least we know this is the penultimate season.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think he wakes up at the end of this season for one last spy hurrah or they just end on some non sequitur dream season?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

They could do Archer in Star Wars

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

algebra testes posted:

Do you think he wakes up at the end of this season for one last spy hurrah

That's the only way. If they don't do it, this show is absolutely dead to me.

Last season was the first one I couldn't finish. I just do not give a single solitary gently caress about Archer's coma dreams. Literally nothing of any importance or note is happening in these seasons. It's not even recognizably the same goddamn characters other than Archer himself. There is nothing for me in these stupid goddamn loving coma-dream seasons and I just want them to end so this show can get one last season of poo poo I slightly care about. But I have a feeling that's too much to ask, and it's just going to be more stupid loving coma bullshit in the last season.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
..yeah, that's the point. They ran out of material for making Archer, so they just reused the cast and designs for three new shows.

Just lol at caring so deeply about the plot of a sitcom.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yeesh, lotta negativity in this thread. I actually really liked this episode, and all of last season.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Last season was the first one I couldn't finish. I just do not give a single solitary gently caress about Archer's coma dreams. Literally nothing of any importance or note is happening in these seasons. It's not even recognizably the same goddamn characters other than Archer himself. There is nothing for me in these stupid goddamn loving coma-dream seasons and I just want them to end so this show can get one last season of poo poo I slightly care about. But I have a feeling that's too much to ask, and it's just going to be more stupid loving coma bullshit in the last season.
What are you even talking about? It's not like this show has ever had any kind of continuity or consequences for anything that happens. It's always been a vague excuse for whatever wacky high jinks the writers wanted to put the characters into that week. And the characters are still just as much themselves as they ever were - if you compare Ray, Cheryl or Pam from season one to season four they're basically completely different characters anyway.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If we don't get more ray the season will suck.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Tiggum posted:

What are you even talking about? It's not like this show has ever had any kind of continuity or consequences for anything that happens. It's always been a vague excuse for whatever wacky high jinks the writers wanted to put the characters into that week. And the characters are still just as much themselves as they ever were - if you compare Ray, Cheryl or Pam from season one to season four they're basically completely different characters anyway.

I think the idea is that however different the characters are acting it's part of an ongoing storyline. Ray, Cheryl and Pam, however they have changed, aren't even in these seasons. This is basically an Archer spinoff anthology where every year every character is reset to zero in a new exotic location. Archer isn't even in the show now.

The difference in the wacky tonal shifts in the past is that the cocaine stuff was setup and handled in the weird world they had established. They callback to Pam's street racing days. They reference and build on the universe. They didn't just teleport to 1980s Miami and shuffle all of the characters around with different names only to completely abandon the idea entirely at the end of season 5.

Everything is on hold, for two or three years, so that the show runners can get really wacky with dream settings and dream characters that don't exist.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 29, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I think the idea is that however different the characters are acting it's part of an ongoing storyline. Ray, Cheryl and Pam, however they have changed, aren't even in these seasons. This is basically an Archer spinoff anthology where every year every character is reset to zero in a new exotic location. Archer isn't even in the show now.

The difference in the wacky tonal shifts in the past is that the cocaine stuff was setup and handled in the weird world they had established. They callback to Pam's street racing days. They reference and build on the universe. They didn't just teleport to 1980s Miami and shuffle all of the characters around with different names only to completely abandon the idea entirely at the end of season 5.

Everything is on hold, for two or three years, so that the show runners can get really wacky with dream settings and dream characters that don't exist.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was about to post. They sold Archer to me as a spy comedy, and the characters that I signed up to watch are supposed to be spies and their wacky support staff, or at least these same characters moving on with their lives after ISIS is shut down. If you want to have H. Jon Benjamin and whoever voice a bunch of unrelated characters in a noir setting, that's fine I guess, but it's not really Archer. (HJB is probably the worst example here, because Archer's been the one character they've represented pretty faithfully, but I can't remember any of the other actors' names offhand.)

And I really didn't think their completely unrelated Noircher show was funny enough or told an interesting enough story to hold my interest all by itself. If they'd incorporated it into the real world story even a little bit? But no.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 29, 2018

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Phenotype posted:

And I really didn't think their completely unrelated Noircher show was funny enough or told an interesting enough story to hold my interest all by itself. If they'd incorporated it into the real world story even a little bit? But no.

I could have sworn they said these three seasons would have sterling's coma dreams collapse on themselves, giving him the hint something is terribly wrong. Oh well, it's only twenty five more episodes over two years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

None of the characters exist. It's all fiction. What's "on hold"? What are you even waiting for them to get back to? There's never been more than the barest trace of continuity between episodes to begin with.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

None of the characters exist. It's all fiction. What's "on hold"? What are you even waiting for them to get back to? There's never been more than the barest trace of continuity between episodes to begin with.

Don't be dense, they just explained to you what sort of continuity they meant. It's not about having one overarching plot, but the pre-Dreamland seasons had ongoing plotlines and character arcs (some weaker, some better), while the characters were always the same. Dreamland's only connection to the old seasons was Archer more or less being Archer while everyone else was playing a different role that somewhat lined up with their personalities of the previous seasons. Dream state/coma plotlines can still be fine (eg. as a half-season arc in some 20-episode show) but some people clearly dislike them because it means instead of incompetent spy team Archer the incredibly short seasons are purely spin-offs for, what it looks like, the entire rest of the show's run.

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 29, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was about to post. They sold Archer to me as a spy comedy, and the characters that I signed up to watch are supposed to be spies and their wacky support staff, or at least these same characters moving on with their lives after ISIS is shut down. If you want to have H. Jon Benjamin and whoever voice a bunch of unrelated characters in a noir setting, that's fine I guess, but it's not really Archer.

Okay then, the show you want is either cancelled or on long hiatus. Condolences!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I liked the first episode and loving KriegerCrackers.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't find anything to particularly like about the episode. If the jokes are gone and the overarching plot is gone and the characters are gone then what's really left? The animation style alone isn't exactly enough to keep me interested.

Also that scene when Pam standing behind Cheryl made Pam look like an absolute giant.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Okay then, the show you want is either cancelled or on long hiatus. Condolences!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, and it sucks, and I wish they wouldn't keep calling this one Archer. :( Thanks for the chat, though.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

I'm holding on to the belief that since they renewed it through season 10 in one deal a few years back, that there's a plan for it to eventually wind back round to reality in time for the end.

I'd like for it to be all of season 10 back in "reality" for Archer, there's still stuff to be said about Lana and AJ; however I fully expect this show to snap back to Archer in his hospital bed for the final seconds of the final episode where he'll promptly flatline. The end.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Parrot Krieger owns. Pam owns. A good episode.

Whats the bet Barry turns up as a cannibal?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Oh god I hope not but now it would be perfect.

Absolutely loving this season so far, I kinda actually like these roles over the original stuff.. Though Krieger is kinda tough to beat, sorry crackers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Are they gonna have Cyril speaking german the entire season?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are they gonna have Cyril speaking german the entire season?

Well, he is a German spy, so... probably. And Ray is going to speak French. And Archer will do his best H. Jon Benjamin impression all season long.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Personally, I liked Vice and last season. So far I'm digging Danger Island. Krieger/Crackers is the best.

But I can understand why some people are disappointed. Vice and the Coma Seasons still haven't touched the heights of the best spy-centric episodes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
God they look pretty though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also fair warning people who saw the screeners reported their being a very problematic joke at some point so, be ready for that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Since this is all happening in his head, I wish they'd bring back Nikolai Jakov and bodyguard.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Since this is all happening in his head, I wish they'd bring back Nikolai Jakov and bodyguard.

Yeah, still trying to navigate their place in the new Communist Party regime. Maybe Jakov still reminisces about the good ol' days under Tsar Nicholas II.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

algebra testes posted:

Also fair warning people who saw the screeners reported their being a very problematic joke at some point so, be ready for that.

This is way too vague, could you put in spoiler tags in what way it's problematic?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, uh, I'm not watching this season but I'm morbidly curious

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bet it involves bone in the nose cannibals sacrificing a virgin to the volcano god. If it's Lana Archer will save the day and say, Her? A virgin? Hahahaha little late boys.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Av club mentioned they interupt someone getting sexually assaulted and its played for laughs which considering that the screeners were three episodes means it has to be this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So like every other season then