Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Problem description:
I'll do you one better and show a picture:

Every now and then this happens. It isn't sudden. It takes a couple of seconds to go from a normal display to... that.

According to Google all signs point to a problem with the display cable, which runs through the left hinge. This is most likely the case as my temporary fix is "rock the screen back and forth until I hit a sweet spot and it goes back to normal."

Attempted fixes:
Reseated the display cable (both in the motherboard and in the LCD panel), but didn't accomplish much. It actually happens more frequently now, but with the ironic bonus of the rocking fix being more effective. Oops!

I don't have a second display to test but I suspect it won't happen there on account of the temporary fix above.

Recent changes: None.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home v1709 build 16299.371

System specs: Lenovo ThinkPad T540p. I got the one with the GeForce GT 730M

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No

Anyway I'm like 99% confident that the cable itself is busted. I can order a new one from Lenovo for like $20 and replace it myself but I'd like to get a second opinion before I waste my time and money doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
If you've already reseated the cable and it returns to normal when flexed just right then yeah, most likely the cable is bad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Myrridinos posted:

If you've already reseated the cable and it returns to normal when flexed just right then yeah, most likely the cable is bad.

Sorry to revive this old thread but I finally got a new cable and installed it and it didn't seem to work. That leaves just the screen, right?

While testing the new cable I poked at the connector where the cable attaches to the LCD display and managed to reproduce the problem. The connection seemed pretty solid and the contacts looked clean, so I don't know what else could help apart from replacing the panel altogether :shrug:

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
From what you have described replacing the panel would be the next step.

If that doesn't fix it then there could be a bad connection on the motherboard.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Myrridinos posted:

From what you have described replacing the panel would be the next step.

If that doesn't fix it then there could be a bad connection on the motherboard.

Yeah that's what I thought. I doubt there's a problem with the motherboard connection because playing with it didn't really do anything. It only screws up when I mess with the connection on the panel.

Looks like what I need is this one. My current screen is a standard matte TN display. Am I able to replace it with an IPS one without issue, you think? I didn't realize how bad the viewing angle would be when I first bought it to save a few bucks.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 29, 2018

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. I doubt there's a problem with the motherboard connection because playing with it didn't really do anything. It only screws up when I mess with the connection on the panel.

Looks like what I need is this one. My current screen is a standard matte TN display. Am I able to replace it with an IPS one without issue, you think? I didn't realize how bad the viewing angle would be when I first bought it to save a few bucks.

As long as it matches the model number and has the correct connector in the correct place it should be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Myrridinos posted:

As long as it matches the model number and has the correct connector in the correct place it should be fine

Excellent, thanks! I was worried they might have different power draw or something.

• Locked thread