Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Trying to decide what class to play now that Pillars 2 is so close to release. Leaning towards some kind of rogue since that's usually my jam, but I want to add a little bit of complexity and flavor, preferably while avoiding bogging myself down with long cast times. Any opinions on how a Trickster/Shattered Pillar might work out? Would I be best off with 2h, 1h, dual wield, or fists? I'd prefer not to use fists since finding weapons is more fun. Planning on diving into PotD so I'd like to make sure I'm not doing something completely stupid and unviable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A team of five (CEO, writer, artist, sound, and the ideas guy) with no programmer. That's a safe kickstarter bet

Edit: well they mention a supposed greater team that is just shy I guess.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 29, 2018

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Vargs posted:

Trying to decide what class to play now that Pillars 2 is so close to release. Leaning towards some kind of rogue since that's usually my jam, but I want to add a little bit of complexity and flavor, preferably while avoiding bogging myself down with long cast times. Any opinions on how a Trickster/Shattered Pillar might work out? Would I be best off with 2h, 1h, dual wield, or fists? I'd prefer not to use fists since finding weapons is more fun. Planning on diving into PotD so I'd like to make sure I'm not doing something completely stupid and unviable.

Trickster/Shattered Pillar isn't a particularly great combination, the only synergy they have that I can think of is the combination of Mirrored Images + Soul Mirror. A regular rogue would work much better with a Shattered Pillar monk.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/990491942285819904
I am unreasonably excited about Pillars X Ars Magica.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FuzzySlippers posted:

A team of five (CEO, writer, artist, sound, and the ideas guy) with no programmer. That's a safe kickstarter bet

It sounded like the CEO has software experience.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The art director worked on Witcher 3…’s advertisements!

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Yup, the Alpine Dragon is still a gigantic pain in the rear end/I still suck at this game after 200+ hours. Took me 3 or 4 tries before I killed him, not level scaled, party is level 12. Shame on me I think.

edit - shout out to being crush immune for no discernible reason.

User0015 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 29, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

User0015 posted:

Yup, the Alpine Dragon is still a gigantic pain in the rear end/I still suck at this game after 200+ hours. Took me 3 or 4 tries before I killed him, not level scaled, party is level 12. Shame on me I think.

have you heard the story of joseph and his wall of many colors

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

have you heard the story of joseph and his wall of many colors

no but I heard the story of sir spam confusion scrolls.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Basic Chunnel posted:

The art director worked on Witcher 3…’s advertisements!

Hell, the promotional materials ended up being my favorite part of the game, so this sounds promising

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

where is the fukken game

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CottonWolf posted:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/990491942285819904
I am unreasonably excited about Pillars X Ars Magica.

Yeah, that sounds great. I can get some use out of those painted Eder and Pallegina minis.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
That Kickstarter looks like a hit and run scam.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's a long-term ongoing scam if so, they were trying to drum up support for the game and talking about doing a kickstarter three years ago

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Smol posted:

That Kickstarter looks like a hit and run scam.
Not really. On the Internet Archive there are snapshots of their website going back to 2015 where they talked about the development. And there's some actual gameplay footage.
If this is a scam, then they invested more then effort into it then it would be worth.

It looks more like clueless people pretending to be gamedevs. Somewhat like that one kickstarter from a bunch of Bethesda-games modders who wanted to make a game using the Unreal engine and to promote their game showed screenshots of areas made in Skyrim's toolset.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The dice rolls in the PoE TTRPG look a little on the messy side for my liking. Just a bunch of different rolls and dices depending on abilities, from what I can tell? Which probably means just consulting the manual all the time while playing.

Maybe there's just some underlying logic I'm missing.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

High-frequency rolls are almost all 2d10.

The logic behind using different dice for different mechanics is that insisting on forcing a single die mechanic to represent everything is good for an initial learning curve, bad for modeling anything outside of the probability range represented by that die mechanic. I would rather use different dice to model different probability curves than force everything into a single curve or set of curves.

Wound recovery is handled during downtime, so you shouldn't need to consult it all during a session. I could have used 2d10 or 1d10+whatever modifiers to cover how many days it takes to transition from one wound type or another but IMO that would have resulted in some goofy time ranges. Each stage of recovery has a different time range, but they're all located in the same section and would all be resolved while the player is looking at that page.

I'm going to do my best to organize the final guide as well as I can for quick reference, but I have to admit that I don't care about appealing to the audience who doesn't like looking a few things up during play -- and especially during downtime, which is integral to how the game works. I'm designing the game for long-term play. You make characters, play them through decades of their lives until they are killed, die of old age, or retire. If you're the kind of player or GM who is time-pressed and doesn't really like planning things out, this will probably not be the game for you.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

rope kid posted:

The logic behind using different dice for different mechanics is that insisting on forcing a single die mechanic to represent everything is good for an initial learning curve, bad for modeling anything outside of the probability range represented by that die mechanic. I would rather use different dice to model different probability curves than force everything into a single curve or set of curves.

Wound recovery is handled during downtime, so you shouldn't need to consult it all during a session. I could have used 2d10 or 1d10+whatever modifiers to cover how many days it takes to transition from one wound type or another but IMO that would have resulted in some goofy time ranges. Each stage of recovery has a different time range, but they're all located in the same section and would all be resolved while the player is looking at that page.

I'm going to do my best to organize the final guide as well as I can for quick reference, but I have to admit that I don't care about appealing to the audience who doesn't like looking a few things up during play -- and especially during downtime, which is integral to how the game works. I'm designing the game for long-term play. You make characters, play them through decades of their lives until they are killed, die of old age, or retire. If you're the kind of player or GM who is time-pressed and doesn't really like planning things out, this will probably not be the game for you.
Rope kid, I´d love to play a CRPG version of what you describe since it sounds like it would be some kind of unholy gameplay fusion of Darklands and Pirates!.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

rope kid posted:

Okay, I usually think using different resolution mechanics within a given RPG is a bad idea, but you sold it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Rope kid come post about your ttrpg on the traditional games subforum

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Impermanent posted:

Rope kid come post about your ttrpg on the traditional games subforum

Submit to judgement.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Don’t do it rope kid

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Chris Avellone gave some nice meaty interview on RPG Codex, talking about Pillars of Eternity Cut Content and other interesting stuff

like he talks a bit about Durance and Grieving Mother

quote:

Eric Fenstermaker said Durance and the GM had a lot of "creative energy and research" invested in them. You seem to rely on getting approval every step of the way, which makes me wonder how that happened. Was there a miscommunication on the approval of your drafts and/or outline? And would you agree that the content had to be cut, or would you have tried to save it if you were at the helm? (Including Ulysses in FNV, not just PoE).

"Companion Design - not always. Usually, it's paragraph, page, then dialogue. In Durance and Grieving Mother's case - and this I can say - the Creative Lead told me after my departure that the Project Lead had interfered but didn't specify the reasons. I don't even know what the reasons were (although I couldn't tell if I did, to be fair). In short, the Creative Lead said he should have handled the whole matter differently and didn't, regretted it, and apologized for it.

It doesn't matter - what's done is done - cuts don't bother me (they rarely do, if you're a writer in the industry and aren’t willing to make cuts, you probably won't be a game writer for long), but how it was handled overall was an example of how upper management can get tangled up and despite any problems, perceived or otherwise, you can be the last one to know, which makes the whole situation more hosed up than if you'd gotten a direct critique, fixed everything that was requested, and then it's put to bed. It's not a huge deal unless you make it one."

frajaq fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 30, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

quote:

and the original tie in the GM and Durance backstories were they had violated each other physically and mentally and that’s what broke both of them, which I then cut – although I don’t know if the GM one got removed completely – the intention was the Watcher could fix it mentally by repairing their souls by walking through their minds in stages

:allbuttons:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He's talked about that before in a bit more detail and the idea seemed to be that Durance tried to purge her (for being an Eothasian, maybe he thought she was one, it possibly just for being a woman?) and she tore his soul up, and they basically beat each other up in a magic duel

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that's the plot of a NoMeansNo song.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Avellone was pretty open about wanting Durance/Grieving Mother to be important characters going forward with the series in other interviews, envisioning Durance potentially becoming an avatar of Magran and Grieving Mother becoming a villainess, and the rest was already known.

The miscommunication thing sounds lovely, but it's always bad form to just hear one side, and in the rest of the interview (which to be fair, was conducted over a long span of time, so he might not have known) Avellone talks about Fenstermaker leaving and sort of hints that it might be because Obsidian is a bad place to work at (which is totally possible and wouldn't be surprising, mind you, given game development studios tend to be) even though according to the former lead writer of PoE, it was largely because he just had a baby and wanted to spend more time with his family.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

All Avellone ever wanted was for the characters he designed to be the biggest and most important characters with the most resources devoted to them, is that too much to ask?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Imagine thinking GM did anything wrong and could be a villain. Manipulating peoples' thoughts so they don't murder disabled children is good actually.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Everytime I read a quote from Avellone where he shits on OEI's management, I can't help but shake my head and go "Weren't you part of the management, buddy?".

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

He's not like a regular boss. He's a cool boss.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It always feels a bit one sided with Avellone, mainly because he can just take potshots at whoever without anyone from Obsidian ever really being able to respond. Plus if you agree or disagree, he does have a reputation for being the ~rpg writing god~ in the industry which gets him a bunch of hero worship. Personally, I think he comes across as being incredibly bitter and I don't think it does him any credit. I must say, that I do enjoy reading the gossip he essentially spouts to his adoring fans though. It is interesting to see behind the veil of it all.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Avellone talks about Fenstermaker leaving and sort of hints that it might be because Obsidian is a bad place to work at (which is totally possible and wouldn't be surprising, mind you, given game development studios tend to be)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Is that about Obsidian? I would've assumed only Chris Roberts is dumb enough to structure a company like that :v:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

In general one of the problems I think PoE1 had is that it was kinda bipolar at times if it wanted a more Baldur's Gate style or more tormenty style trappings, and in general I think Avellone's companions kinda stood out there.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Basic Chunnel posted:

Don’t do it rope kid

Instead submit it to some other people wink wink

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Unrelated to this topic about as much as this post was, but remember when Danielle Riendeau wrote a review of a video game calling it transphobic and hateful and encouraged people to not buy it and then it turned out that the woman who wrote the game is trans and was extremely offended.

Then Danielle refused to apologize for mobilizing online harassment towards a trans dev and doubled down that waypoint has no influence on game sales and actually the writer is being an rear end in a top hat for being offended that her game was so maliciously misrepresented

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Avellone was pretty open about wanting Durance/Grieving Mother to be important characters going forward with the series in other interviews, envisioning Durance potentially becoming an avatar of Magran and Grieving Mother becoming a villainess, and the rest was already known.

The miscommunication thing sounds lovely, but it's always bad form to just hear one side, and in the rest of the interview (which to be fair, was conducted over a long span of time, so he might not have known) Avellone talks about Fenstermaker leaving and sort of hints that it might be because Obsidian is a bad place to work at (which is totally possible and wouldn't be surprising, mind you, given game development studios tend to be) even though according to the former lead writer of PoE, it was largely because he just had a baby and wanted to spend more time with his family.

They're the worst characters in the game.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

avellonme interview quote posted:

The art for the dream sequences would have required maybe 12 images, and it was designed so you could do 1 large image and split the scene, so each image could be repurposed. I will say there were other cuts (the GM’s special Planescape-y weapons and Durance variant equipment) that were just simply dropped and would have required little in the way of resources – it was more a matter of will vs. time in some instances.

miss me with this petty poo poo, fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Your Parents posted:

Unrelated to this topic about as much as this post was, but remember when Danielle Riendeau wrote a review of a video game calling it transphobic and hateful and encouraged people to not buy it and then it turned out that the woman who wrote the game is trans and was extremely offended.

Then Danielle refused to apologize for mobilizing online harassment towards a trans dev and doubled down that waypoint has no influence on game sales and actually the writer is being an rear end in a top hat for being offended that her game was so maliciously misrepresented

What does any of that have to do with a sacrosanct point on harassment in the workplace, though?

• Locked thread