Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Why is there a B-Wing in Star Trek?

I don't know why, but I'd like more of it please.

EDIT: Top of the page? Goddamn it.

To pretend I'm actively adding content, I saw Star Trek Beyond for the first time last night and I retroactively feel a little worse about Discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

excuse me but FASA was designing terrible Star Trek ships long before STO or deviantart existed

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FuturePastNow posted:

excuse me but FASA was designing terrible Star Trek ships long before STO or deviantart existed

Oh yes.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Not sure I would call energy derived from the alt-right as "clean," but hey what the hell.

Wasn't this the plot of the last Doom game?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FuturePastNow posted:

Especially for their early-TNG era stuff, which came out right before they abruptly lost their contract with Paramount due to "licensing difficulties."

Seriously, look at this crap:

:barf:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That first one is essentially the Sovereign, so yeah, :barf:

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Do not mess with the X-Bomber, it will ruin your day.

And it had a banger of a theme tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-9NZsYCQw

Dirty fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 30, 2018

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
http://vmashup.com/TMLPt0uC

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Yes, that fits well. Also, that X-Bomber looks like the Battlehawk from Terrahawks.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i really like this one as well

its like an upside down sailboat, or a regular side up garden trowel

Powered Descent posted:

Especially for their early-TNG era stuff, which came out right before they abruptly lost their contract with Paramount due to "licensing difficulties."

these ones all stink tho. needs the giant underside fin

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Powered Descent posted:

These look like something I'd draw in occupational therapy after a bad fall.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

The Royal Sovereign design isn't that bad, out of those FASA designs. While the secondary hull is a rather elongated hot mess, it at least looks like a ship contemporary to the Galaxy-class.
A lot of fan blueprints and starship designs from the 80's would have made excellent slightly-pre-TOS vessels, but what are you going to do?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think there's an interesting design lineage with the canon designs you see for Starfleet's cruiser-type ships.

Start with the Constitution. Saucer, engineering hull, nacelles, all on thin angled pylons.

The new cruiser type we see after the Constitution is the Excelsior. The neck pylon is now straight up rather than the forward-leaning neck of the Constitution, and much shorter and wider. The nacelle pylons are now straight right angles. It's a larger, stouter looking ship.

After the Excelsior is the Ambassador class, which largely keeps the shapes of the Excelsior but dramatically changes the proportions. The Constitution and Excelsior are both long, narrow, vertically tall looking ships. The Ambassador's proportions are quite different, it's short and fat, very blocky despite how rounded everything is. The nacelles especially are now short and wide, rather than the long, thin nacelles of previous cruisers. It's a rather compact looking ship by comparison to previous and subsequent designs.

From the Ambassador, we get the Galaxy class. Proportions are generally the same as the Ambassador, but the saucer is stretched out horizontally and the neck pylon stretches to accomodate in a cobra hood looking configuration. The secondary hull drops the 'tail' the Ambassador and Excelsior had, and the secondary hull almost seems to huddle underneath and behind the massive Galaxy saucer. It's not as compact or blocky as the Ambassador, but retains the short and wide proportions while remaining a rather tall ship.

Before we get to the Sovereign, though, another cruiser-type ship appeared in Star Trek: the Intrepid. I think the Intrepid is a divergent evolution of the Excelsior design, as it draws on the same design heritage but like the Ambassador makes some significant alterations. First and foremost, the neck pylon is eliminated, bringing the saucer down to sit directly on top of the engineering section. Additionally, the nacelles are brought down to level with the secondary hull, with shorter pylons. It's still a long and narrow looking ship, but now it's much shorter and sleeker than its predecessors and contemporaries.

The Sovereign, in my mind, is an evolution of the Intrepid rather than the Galaxy, as it retains the same proportions and styling. Saucer sitting directly on top of engineering with no discernable neck pylon, and low-slung nacelle pylons keeping the nacelles close to the body of the ship - on level with the saucer like in older designs, but feeling much closer in with much less empty space due to the Sovereign's different proportions. It's another long, narrow, low-slung ship like the Intrepid.

The Nova is very similar to the Intrepid in design and proportions.

Finally, the Prometheus seems to be another iteration from the Intrepid, this time almost completely eliminating the distinction between saucer and secondary hull (though given the Prometheus' gimmick, this isn't surprising), though you can still see the distinct parts.

There's a few other 'lines' of Federation ships I think you can trace in the canon. The Miranda class leads smoothly to the Centaur, with a brief fling with the Galaxy class leading to the Nebula, and from STD I think the Walker class (USS Shenzou) slides neatly into place as the Miranda's predecessor. The Akira obviously draws heavily from the NX with their catamaran design you see nowhere else.

And during the DS9 era, you see a flurry of new Starfleet designs with no clear design lineage that seem to be wholly new designs - the Defiant, Saber, Norway, Steamrunner, and Peregrine (the Akira not anymore thanks to Enterprise). Which makes sense if Starfleet is experimenting with new designs in response to threats like the Borg, and in my mind, perhaps advances in warp technology. In TOS, the Enterprise's nacelles were supposed to be dangerous in the eyes of the show's designers, and should be kept away from the ship. You see that philosophy continue until the DS9 era, so perhaps Starfleet came up with a way to make the nacelles safer.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Well thought-out.

Could also be considered that the Steamrunner, Sabre and Defiant-classes come from a similar design lineage or school of thought. Comparatively flat, with nacelles that are part of the main hull instead of connected by any sort of pylon assembly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wee Bairns posted:

Well thought-out.

Could also be considered that the Steamrunner, Sabre and Defiant-classes come from a similar design lineage or school of thought. Comparatively flat, with nacelles that are part of the main hull instead of connected by any sort of pylon assembly.

True, though they all appeared around the same time. Sisko personally designed the Defiant, so maybe he had a hand in the other two or it was part of a general experiment in making small, compact ships.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, that fits well. Also, that X-Bomber looks like the Battlehawk from Terrahawks.

Not a huge surprise given that Terrahawks was made because X-Bomber had been a huge hit in the UK, but the models etc had been destroyed earlier so they weren't able to commission a second series from Japan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thinking about the Starfleet designs, Discovery bugs me even more - it really doesn't look much like any Starfleet ship we've seen before or since, chronologically.

For one thing, the speed holes and spinny bits in the saucer. We've seen holes/negative space in Federation ships before, like the Vulcans' D'Kyr class from Enterprise and the catamaran design of the NX and Akira, but the Crossfield's saucer is something very different.

Partly because of that, the neck pylon of the Crossfield rises up over the saucer section, forming a handle to the pizza cutter. That's another strange bit of design never seen in a Starfleet vessel.

The secondary hull is truly bizarre from a Starfleet perspective, not simply because it's triangular, but because it's completely flat. Starfleet ships are almost always very rounded and smooth looking, hard lines and angles are an unusual sight, usually on a small scale like the rear hull of the catamaran series or the Miranda's roll bar. Stylistically, Starfleet just doesn't do flat, angled planes. The Saber and Steamrunner come closest, but even they break up the harsh lines with curves in the hull.

Finally, the nacelles are set directly atop the secondary hull. Not unheard of - see the Oberth, Saber, Defiant, and Steamrunner - but those cases all have the nacelles running the length of the ship, not in otherwise traditional nacelle positions trailing behind the hull.

The Crossfield class has all the elements of a Starfleet ship, but there's some strange choices involved and the proportions are just odd. It's a super long ship, made so mostly by the long nacelles, but if you were to trim the nacelles back to a more reasonable level you'd still have an awkward looking ship with that triangular secondary hull and the long pizza cutter design of the neck and saucer.

Still, no stranger than the Oberth, I suppose. The Crossfield at least can be written off as a twisted and rightfully forgotten spin-off of the Starfleet cruiser line. But I have no idea at all what design tree the Oberth dropped out of.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cythereal posted:

But I have no idea at all what design tree the Oberth dropped out of.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cythereal posted:

Still, no stranger than the Oberth, I suppose. The Crossfield at least can be written off as a twisted and rightfully forgotten spin-off of the Starfleet cruiser line. But I have no idea at all what design tree the Oberth dropped out of.

Starfleet's been around long enough they probably have tons of dead-end design offshoots and one-shots, just like they seem to have a lot of abandoned engine concepts using some of those ships as testbeds.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Cythereal posted:

True, though they all appeared around the same time. Sisko personally designed the Defiant, so maybe he had a hand in the other two or it was part of a general experiment in making small, compact ships.

Well, I suppose you could claim the Oberth comes from this lineage too. The secondary hull looks like an afterthought in its design.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Anyone hear if they're ever gonna do a second soundtrack volume for Discovery? As much as I loathe the name, I really liked the Black Alert music and want it, but I saw a snip of some interview with the composer where he sniffed and said something like "well i just like to release whole albums, so sorry (heh not sorry :smug:) if your favorite track doesn't make it" and I have the ugly feeling all we got is all we're going to get.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe in 20 years, DIS will get a glorified four disc soundtrack release on La-La Land records.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I've been wanting to watch this but I don't want to deal with yet another streaming service, especially considering the terrible things I've heard about CBS's service. I see that the show is now on Amazon Video as well. How does that work, exactly. Is the Amazon picture quality better than CBS or is that hoping for too much?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

...! posted:

I've been wanting to watch this but I don't want to deal with yet another streaming service, especially considering the terrible things I've heard about CBS's service. I see that the show is now on Amazon Video as well. How does that work, exactly. Is the Amazon picture quality better than CBS or is that hoping for too much?

Apparently much better, since Amazon knows how to handle high quality video streaming, and CBS doesn’t.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wee Bairns posted:

Well, I suppose you could claim the Oberth comes from this lineage too. The secondary hull looks like an afterthought in its design.

Could have been a case like that proposed underslung secondary hull on the NX. Ship doesn't have enough power? Just bolt another hull with a warp core onto it somewhere. Or the Mirandas, some of which have the Reliant-style roll bar and some don't.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Netflix series "the Toys that made us" had an episode about history of licensed Star Trek toys.

Spoilers: Som... most of them were really bad.

Bit taste, a kirk helmet:

(also available with text Spock)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

adhuin posted:

Netflix series "the Toys that made us" had an episode about history of licensed Star Trek toys.

Spoilers: Som... most of them were really bad.

Bit taste, a kirk helmet:

(also available with text Spock)

What do you mean, it looks pretty authentic to me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

Thinking about the Starfleet designs, Discovery bugs me even more - it really doesn't look much like any Starfleet ship we've seen before or since, chronologically.

Crossfield feels completely incongruous with literally all Starfleet designs, yes, while the Shenzhou looks like it would fit just fine in the 24th Century but looks completely out-of-time in the era of NCC-1701.

Discovery's ship design is all over the loving place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

Crossfield feels completely incongruous with literally all Starfleet designs, yes, while the Shenzhou looks like it would fit just fine in the 24th Century but looks completely out-of-time in the era of NCC-1701.

Discovery's ship design is all over the loving place.

Not to mention the Klingon ships that are all different and yet I can't really describe any of them because they all seem like non-euclidean tangles of spikes and greebles and not in a cool way

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently much better, since Amazon knows how to handle high quality video streaming, and CBS doesn’t.

Great. I was hoping that that was the case but one article I read made it sound like Amazon wasn't actually hosting it themselves but was just using their client on top of CBS's backend somehow, which would be really stupid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You still subscribe to all-access, but it's through Amazon.

One way you can see right off the bat that it's better streams is you get 5.1 audio.

Still sucks compared to overseas though where they can watch it on Netflix with HDR.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the thread title: We'll All Access it Elsewhere

:filez:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

...! posted:

Great. I was hoping that that was the case but one article I read made it sound like Amazon wasn't actually hosting it themselves but was just using their client on top of CBS's backend somehow, which would be really stupid.

I don't know how the CBS distribution system works, but it's possible that there are different deliverables for each distribution partner. So Netflix gets the 4:4:4 HDR file, Amazon gets one with 5.1, and CBS gets the same thing that airs on broadcast. If they have their own platform it really doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't sweeten the deal with better quality streams, but maybe they just don't have the infrastructure to support a bunch of AVC streams at those sizes.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tighclops posted:

Honestly I feel like blue light aliens and blue tech are overdone not just in this show, it's like a modern problem

Yeah, it's something that I absolutely hate these days. It's like blue LEDs came out and people just can't stop putting the loving things into everything. Give me some goddamn reds and yellows and greens too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's the orange/teal color grading craze that's gripped Hollywood and Disco is really rife with it. I'd grab some more screenshots if I weren't at work but here's a prime example I posted earlier in the thread:

Another example that really stuck out to me was how in the final battle with the Mirror Universe Super Battleship, the MU ship bridge was orange all over the place while the Disco bridge was super blue.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I miss the color green.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HD DAD posted:

I miss the color green.

Fear not, I'm sure the Romulans will show up sooner or later with or without some clumsy retcons to explain why STD did whatever the gently caress it wants with the them, much like how Klingons in STD are cannibal rapist religious fanatics who look nothing like Klingons and fly abstract modernist sculptures rather than warships.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Cythereal posted:

Fear not, I'm sure the Romulans will show up sooner or later with or without some clumsy retcons to explain why STD did whatever the gently caress it wants with the them, much like how Klingons in STD are cannibal rapist religious fanatics who look nothing like Klingons and fly abstract modernist sculptures rather than warships.

something something Section 31 did it!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/05/29/star-trek-discovery-designers-tease-new-and-reimagined-aliens-for-season-2/

They are chomping at the bit to do the Borg and also want to unmask the Breen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"When discussing how they approached the Klingons, Hetrick promised that there will be more exploration of the various Houses in season two:"

nooooooooo