Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ff into the wilds

earth week got me thinking, it's completely possible to live without all this computer bull poo poo. i've heard the internet makes you stupid. I used to be really into hiking and camping but since becoming an adult I've slipped into some destructive patterns and forgotten my roots. I want to start making trips into the wilderness and really getting away from it all

all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Earth Day co-founder killed, composted girlfriend

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
why would i leave the only thing on this planet that i love, my computer?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Ploft-shell crab posted:

computer will always be there when you get back.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i want to live in a cave and become more familiar with the individual components of the rocks we put lightning in to and tricked in to doing math

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i want to try some drugs

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

drugs good

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i did that mostly for a week last month and camped in the desert and took photos. changed me somewhat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm going to destroy all computers

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i took some photos

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hmm i need to update my forum avatar

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Ploft-shell crab posted:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
every loving day op

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Poniard posted:

i want to live in a cave and become more familiar with the individual components of the rocks we put lightning in to and tricked in to doing math

computers is rocks.........with math inside?

:monocle:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hmm but do computers do math... :thunk:

or do we just INTERPRET it as math? :okpos:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

atomicthumbs posted:

i took some photos

dang that grain looks so choice

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Silver Alicorn posted:

hmm but do computers do math... :thunk:

or do we just INTERPRET it as math? :okpos:

like, what if a 9 to you. is a 6 to me!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

like your sixes are my nines and vice versa

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

ff into the wilds

earth week got me thinking, it's completely possible to live without all this computer bull poo poo. i've heard the internet makes you stupid. I used to be really into hiking and camping but since becoming an adult I've slipped into some destructive patterns and forgotten my roots. I want to start making trips into the wilderness and really getting away from it all

all of it

i would do this but my revolting nerd body is pathetically frail and would crumple into dust outside of a cushioned chair in a climate controlled building

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

dang that grain looks so choice

"hurr lower your ISO or use slow film to take landscape photos" can gently caress off, i used only HP5 pushed to asa 1600

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you only want to wander off into the wilds to have sex with a red panda, OP

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Silver Alicorn posted:

ff into the wilds

all of it

fun fact: I spent 3 summers living for 6 consecutive months entirely in the woods, 20+ miles from a road/internet/cell phone/whatever.

it's the only time i havent been depressed. ama.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

fun fact: I spent 3 summers living for 6 consecutive months entirely in the woods, 20+ miles from a road/internet/cell phone/whatever.

it's the only time i havent been depressed. ama.

did you do prep to have your IRL obligations sorted out so that you weren't stressing about them and such, or did you just say 'gently caress it'

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jonny 290 posted:

did you do prep to have your IRL obligations sorted out so that you weren't stressing about them and such, or did you just say 'gently caress it'

i was 19, 20, and 21 and had no obligations so it was pretty easy to just say gently caress it.

sometimes i daydream about going back and doing it again. i think i could probably pull it off but i don't have kids and any real responsibilities.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i did trail work in yosemite for those curious. it's a really awesome gig. you set up a camp in a backcountry location and live there for the summer. food / mail gets packed in on mules. the work is extremely physically demanding but generally very rewarding. and living with a small crew of 16 people is a pretty cool experience.

additionally i was working with a program that took 18-25 year olds and put them on a trail crew for the summer. so you get a bunch of inner city kids + some college kids and they live together in the woods for 6 months and you teach them how to do trail work and how to get along. best thing i've ever done. way better than this stupid computer crap.

but i wanted to be intellectually stimulated :rolleyes:.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 29, 2018

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell of a fitness plan too, nice

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really cannot understate how much happier i was living outside, doing manual labor, and working closely with a small community of people (good and bad). it felt like i was inhabiting a different brain.

part of it was probably the constant exercise and relatively healthy diet. but i think a lot also had to do with the simplicity of that lifestyle: my entire life revolved around work and the people on my crew. it was very much a living in the moment thing.

here's a video from one of my crews (i'm the guy from my av):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z4AoB6VHm0

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

vodkat posted:

every loving day op

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

President Beep posted:

like your sixes are my nines and vice versa

are you flirting beep

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i really cannot understate how much happier i was living outside, doing manual labor, and working closely with a small community of people (good and bad). it felt like i was inhabiting a different brain.

part of it was probably the constant exercise and relatively healthy diet. but i think a lot also had to do with the simplicity of that lifestyle: my entire life revolved around work and the people on my crew. it was very much a living in the moment thing.

ingesting 4000 calories and burning 4000 calories between sunup and sundown is amazing and you feel your body working. Very cool i'm fascinated

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
that's easy to say when it's spring and it's the nicest it's gonna be outside all year. let me know if you feel the same way in january.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

vodkat posted:

every loving day op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Laslow posted:

that's easy to say when it's spring and it's the nicest it's gonna be outside all year. let me know if you feel the same way in january.

ive experienced the thing where you take your tshirt off b/c youre chopping wood in December

i aint skeered

granted im saying this when i'm all doms from a several mile bmx ride around downtown denver yesterday but

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

touching computers is rotting my brain out of my skull but nothing else i can do pays enough to survive in this capitalist hellworld.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jony neuemonic posted:

touching computers is rotting my brain out of my skull but nothing else i can do pays enough to survive in this capitalist hellworld.

i think a lot of this are exactly here

i will sit there and watch a guy lecture me for six months on how to build the perfect kitchen table that will last 700 years, but I have bills to pay

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

are you flirting beep

uh oh...

*curb your enthusiasm music starts playing*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

at least as a consolation prize you all get to post in YOSPOS

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

vodkat posted:

every loving day op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is incredibly dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Laslow posted:

on my trip i camped in the back of my car in the sierras and when i woke up at sunrise it was 5 degrees out

it's nice