Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The new kit is also trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Is Bristol Bears better or worse than Bristol Shoguns™?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Vagabundo posted:

Basically, when you look at several rugby competitions, it's not unusual to see certain naming conventions.

New Zealand Super Rugby sides tend to be named after people:
Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders

There are a couple of exceptions, like one team named after the weather, and another named for a colour.

The South African ones tend to be named after animals:
Bulls, Sharks, Lions, even the Jaguares. The Cheetahs also fit this quite nicely.

The exception is the Stormers, also named for the weather. The Kings were one as well, but they've hosed off.

In the English Premiership, 6 of the 12 teams are named after people:

London Irish, Saracens, Harlequins, Northampton Saints, Worcester Warriors, Exeter Chiefs.

4 are named after animals:
Wasps, Newcastle Falcons, Sale Sharks, Leicester Tigers

2 have no real name, other than where they happen to be based:
Gloucester, Bath

Of course, if London Irish are relegated, and it looks like they will be, then they'll bring the number of teams named after animals to 5, equal to the teams named after people.

You're probably wondering about the Australian teams. They have no real central theme to their team names. Instead, they're all over the place:
1 team named after an actual animal (Brumbies)
1 team named for some sort of fictional creature (Sunwolves)
1 team named after people (Rebels)
1 team named after a colour (Reds)
1 team named after a flower (Waratahs)

plus 1 former team that is named after a concept in physics (Force)

Sort yourselves out, Australia.

Have you just discovered the true source of Australia's current malaise?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/brad_weber9/status/986178316716527617

https://twitter.com/brad_weber9/status/986178318994059265

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

They'll beat the Waratahs like 50-0 in New Zealand and he can rub Folau's nose in it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Schlesische posted:

They'll beat the Waratahs like 50-0 in New Zealand and he can rub Folau's nose in it.

With Joy Neville and Nigel Owens alternating as the referee.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/Tj_Perenara/status/986522961338286080

https://twitter.com/Tj_Perenara/status/986523035569016832

https://twitter.com/Tj_Perenara/status/986523128682627073

https://twitter.com/Tj_Perenara/status/986523251609227266

https://twitter.com/Tj_Perenara/status/986523324208435200

https://twitter.com/Tj_Perenara/status/986523479510892544

https://twitter.com/Tj_Perenara/status/986523547467038720

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Gotta say, that's impressive.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

One of the best gay rugby clubs in the world (there's apparently a championship for gay rugby union clubs, the Bingham Cup), the Melbourne Chargers issued an invitation for Folau to go to a training session to talk with them about why his comments were so hurtful, would've been a great way for the ARU to deal with it without actually punishing Folau in any way or putting words near his mouth that he was free to spit on at his pleasure.

If Folau doesn't stick with the ARU after this year (his contract is up at the end of the year?) this whole mess is gonna come back to bite them in the arse.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There are several Championships for gay rugby union clubs, there's also the Union Cup.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good on the man, it's nice to see players take stands like this.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I missed this in the Western Mail, since it came within hours of the tweet, but Nigel Owens put it into a fairly terrifying perspective.

He also suggests that at least one (current) player could potentially have outted themselves, but felt that the rugby community would reject them... Even before Folau and Bastereaux shared their opinions on the matter :(

quote:

A few years ago I sat down for hours and hours one night with a young lad, who played academy rugby then. He asked me if he could have a chat with me as he was really down and at his wits end because he’d attempted to take his own life.

And the reason why he attempted to take his own life was because he was dealing with his sexuality and he was afraid what his parents, family and friends would say. And he was afraid he’d have to give up rugby too.

I spent hours and hours with him over many weeks, saying listen, rugby will accept you for who you are like it accepted me and Gareth Thomas.

I said I can’t tell you if your parents will accept you or your friends, but I can tell you that the huge, huge majority in rugby will and I’m pretty sure that your friends and family, if they are anything like mine, will accept you no matter who you are, like mine did with me.

This was a couple of months after he attempted to take his own life. It took a few more chats and a few more months before he said he felt better and was now okay with himself and that he was coming around to accepting who he was.

He still plays rugby and he has accepted who he is but he has yet to tell his family and friends, and as I told him that choice is his and no-one else’s.

But comments like Israel Folau’s about gay people and all other types of bullying by all kinds of people is what can put people like that young boy in that moment where it’s enough to tip them over the edge, because there is a minority out there who give the impression that you cannot be who you truly are.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43849696

Poor bastard :(

tl;dr - Rob Horne forced to retire due to "life-changing nerve damage to his arm".

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

youtube commenter posted:

Is Bristol Bears better or worse than Bristol Shoguns™?

Worse

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Cardiff won and are on their way to Bilbao for the Challenge Cup final.
Now to see if Scarlets can join them there for the Champions Cup.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Nothing will be as tone deaf as the Exeter Chiefs’ logo/fans

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

stavros880 posted:

Now to see if Scarlets can join them there for the Champions Cup.

Looks like that's a no then.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Thankfully Ospreys saved Glasgow from the title of worst performance of the week by managing to lose to Zebre.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Vaders Jester posted:

Thankfully Ospreys saved Glasgow from the title of worst performance of the week by managing to lose to Zebre.

Glasgow weren't very good today, Price is a bit of a liability when you have so much talent outside him.

Glad to see Tommy Bowe go out on a high though, great servant to Ulster over the years.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, Price has had a bad slump since the 6N but even then there were so many mistakes by the whole team that it just exacerbated everything.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Price strikes me as a talented player that is still struggling to maintain firm control over a game. If things don't immediately go his way, he appears to be powerless to wrest control back, and still has a lot to learn about game management. Everyone was pretty quick to talk poo poo about Laidlaw, but it was clear that Laidlaw was far more adaptable, and could get the most out of his backline, and play in a way which emphasised his strengths while compensating for any weaknesses he had.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Some real home refereeing this Blues game. Not sure how many last chances they got there but it's certainly a new definition of the word last.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Another great night for Auckland rugby.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Oh wow.

So it's been over 18 months since the last time an Australian team beat a New Zealand team period, but here come the Jaguares.

Wow Australian Rugby is hosed.
I remember making a World Cup Final at some stage. Guess I'll have to keep that memory locked up tight.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Bye Tana.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Blues lose once more - what a shocker. Glad I stopped watching at half-time due to another commitment. I come home to read the result and just shake my head.

The thing is that the issues the Blues are having are not new. Changing the coach doesn't patch over whatever the real problems are. Honestly I don't know the issues but I have heard from people involved in North Harbour (coaching and playing) that there are issues with how Auckland rugby is run (but they wouldn't elaborate on details). Whether it is true or not this has become the perception the rest of the country has. Thats part of the reason they find it hard to attract decent players from outside the region but no problem losing players in their region to other teams.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Schlesische posted:

Oh wow.

So it's been over 18 months since the last time an Australian team beat a New Zealand team period, but here come the Jaguares.

Wow Australian Rugby is hosed.
I remember making a World Cup Final at some stage. Guess I'll have to keep that memory locked up tight.

Mate, Australian Rugby is hosed, but the Jaguares beating the Blues is hardly the symbol of that. The only surprise about the Jaguares is that they're not killing the comp given they're basically the Argentina Test team. The symbol of Australian Rugby being hosed is when the shambles of a team that is the Blues clean sweeps all our teams.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

Blues lose once more - what a shocker. Glad I stopped watching at half-time due to another commitment. I come home to read the result and just shake my head.

The thing is that the issues the Blues are having are not new. Changing the coach doesn't patch over whatever the real problems are. Honestly I don't know the issues but I have heard from people involved in North Harbour (coaching and playing) that there are issues with how Auckland rugby is run (but they wouldn't elaborate on details). Whether it is true or not this has become the perception the rest of the country has. Thats part of the reason they find it hard to attract decent players from outside the region but no problem losing players in their region to other teams.

It's two-fold. Auckland Rugby is not struggling to develop talent, but they're struggling to identify and retain talent. You also get players constantly recruited from the schools, and treated like stars with a hypetrain surrounding them, without being seasoned at the provincial level.

It's then exacerbated by a culture in which an Auckland-centric selection criteria sees talented players within the Blues catchment area being overlooked because they committed the grievous and horrendous crime of being affiliated with Harbour or Northland, how dare they the loving scum.

When you look at the players that are, or were within the Blues system at some point, or within their catchment area and doing well for themselves elsewhere, it puts together 2 things: 1, a pretty decent XV, and 2, a pretty damning indictment of a failure of the Blues to properly ID talent.

1. Chris Eves (North Harbour) - currently with the Hurricanes, played in the 2015 and 2016 finals, winning the latter.

2. Ash Dixon (Hawke's Bay) - formerly a Blue, let go without playing a single game. Played in, and won the 2015 Super Rugby final for the Highlanders, where he has been a regular starter, and is the current Maori All Blacks captain

3. Ben Afeaki (North Harbour) - formerly with the Chiefs, and has had to retire. Played in, and won both the 2012 and 2013 Super Rugby finals, and made the All Blacks from the Chiefs.

4. Brandon Nansen (North Harbour) - Currently playing with Stade Francais on a short term contract, has been capped for Samoa. Apparently not good enough for the Blues.

5. Jarrad Hoeata (North Harbour) - Spent time with the Crusaders as injury cover. Good enough to play for the All Blacks, but not the Blues, apparently.

6. Jack Ram (Northand) - Only used twice by the Blues, capped by Tonga where he was one of their star players at the 2015 RWC. Not good enough for the Blues though.

7. Dillon Hunt (North Harbour) - Ignored by the Blues set-up as a schoolboy. Otago gratefully took him in, and made the All Blacks before he even played for the Highlanders.

8. Dan Pryor (Northland) - Ignored by the Blues, has been a regular for the Highlanders, where he was part of the 2015 champion team. Good enough for the Maori All Blacks, but the Blues are too elite a unit for him.

9. Aaron Smith (Manawatu) - Part of the Blues squad in 2010, was dropped without ever being used. Has gone on to definitely not be one of the best halfbacks in the world, with no accolades like a Super Rugby title with the Highlanders, and most certainly did not win a World Cup in 2015. Nope, nah, never happened.

10. Mike Harris (Toshiba) - A reliable goalkicker for Harbour, and apparently good enough to play for the Wallabies. But because he had the nerve to be from the north side of the Harbour Bridge, this meant he was not good enough for the Blues, a truly champion team that only has not won any international competitions featuring Tier 1 test teams because they've yet to deign to appear in such competitions.

11. Brayden Ennor (Crusaders) - Miraculously made the Blues U18 development side, despite being "not good enough for the Blues." Has since ended up in Canterbury and the Crusaders, two teams that obviously never win anything ever.

12. Michael Little (Sunwolves) - Nominated for the 2016 Mitre 10 Cup Player of the Year award, having been a huge part of the North Harbour campaign which saw them promoted to the top flight. Apparently this was not indicative of sufficient quality to show that he is, perhaps, actually better than, say, TJ Faiane.

13. Malakai Fekitoa (Auckland) - Part of the Blues squad in 2013. 0 minutes and 0 seconds of game time was apparently good enough to determine that he was not of sufficient quality for the Blues, whom apparently have far more rigid standards of selection than the All Blacks did in 2014. Good enough to be a World Cup winner, not good enough to be a Blue.

14. Waisake Naholo (Taranaki) - Made a couple of appearances for the Blues, who immediately discarded him. The Highlanders most certainly did not pick him up, make him a huge weapon in their attack, and lead to him being part of the All Blacks and the 2015 RWC winning squad. Nope.

15. Robbie Robinson (Sunwolves) - Joined North Harbour in 2014, after being a big part of the 2012 and 2013 Chiefs champion teams. Apparently this still did not prove he was good enough for the super elite team that is the Blues, a team of champions that are always champions championing forever.

I first noticed this when Pat Lam was coaching in 2009, and in a way that resembled Homer Simpson coaching Bart's football team when it came to his Auckland boyzzzzzzzz - exemplified by Taniela Moa and Tasesa Lavea. Moa was having an awful season, where he was out of shape and out of form, while the actually far better Chis Smylie was stuck on the bench. Moa would frequently go missing during games, being MIA half the time when the ball needed to be cleared out, resulting in far too many turnovers caused from his absence, and when he did bother to turn up, his passes would completely miss the first receiver. Lavea was a poor man's Carlos Spencer, without the composure to consistently perform under pressure at 10 and when he was injured, Jimmy Gopperth, then playing for Harbour took over and had a hand in getting the Blues on to a bit of a winning streak. So when they had a game against the Reds at Albany which Lam described as must-win, he dropped the in form Gopperth, kept Smylie on the bench, and watched Moa and Lavea make the same mistakes they'd been making all season. But it was all good, because his Auckland boyzzzzzzzzzzz got to play.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Why does this sound eerily similar to the Waratahs?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Pro14 playoffs are set in stone :

Leinster vs [winner of Munster vs Edinburgh]
Glasgow vs [winner of Scarlets vs Cheetahs]

An Edinburgh vs Glasgow final is a real thing, that could really happen o.O

Also Ulster playoff against Ospreys for a Heineken Cup spot and £250,000.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
John Muldoon retires with a 100% conversion kick rate. 1 from 1

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/watch-connacht-legend-john-muldoon-kicks-conversion-perfect-ending-387878

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

julian assflange posted:

After the game Muldoon apologised for the conversion, telling TG4 "it wasn't meant in a bad way."

What's the deal with the Irish having such a hard-on for conversion kicks being some sort of sacred ritual?

It's totally a 100 year tradition that a retiring player gets a shot to take the final kick of the game. I've even seen it happen in matches where the game was actually won or lost on the prop's conversion attempt.

The greatest will always be Bakkies Botha making fun of Dan Biggar while he does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-cuYvoS6ww

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I never knew it was a thing

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

In the most amazing "gently caress you" to Israel Folau, it looks like The All Blacks will wear a rainbow jersey, when they play Australia in August.

So as not to break with the tradition of the kit always featuring black, the jersey is made of a fabric that switches between the regular black. and a rainbow spectrum, whenever part of it is stretched.

http://www-154.aig.com/csr-activities-sponsorship/diversityisstrength

Whoever came up with this is the greatest hero of our time. I literally cried when I watched the video.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 29, 2018

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

That's a neat lookin jersey

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
That is incredible.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Holy poo poo that is clever and hilarious and amazing and I'm loving buying one.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

If the ARU had any balls, they'd do the same to show that they don't support Folau's views. Of course, they don't have any balls so there's that.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I’m a little surprised not to have heard anything from Pocock about Folau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I want to say gently caress Edinbugh because of rivalry and all that, but really it's more gently caress Glasgow for ineptitude. I'm not sure if Edinburgh necessarily deserved to win, but we sure as poo poo didn't put in anywhere near a good enough performance. Our defence is a joke at the moment and we were severely lacking in attacking ability, the only saving grace being Van Der Merwe, who is just as awesome as he's ever been.

A good amount of the Scotland lads need to sort their heads out, otherwise there's no way we're going to win the championship.

EDIT: Also could somebody please punch Finn Russell in the head to knock him out of his Lamborghini buying daze.