Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

homeless snail posted:

That was hololens, it came out. It was never meant to be a game machine they just showed it at e3 to deflate psvr I guess.

Young Conker also came out, on Project Spark. Remember Project Spark

I remember hearing it was being shut down and thinking "oh, that came out?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://i.imgur.com/NYxcFZh.gifv

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Apple also did some AR table demos, but not at E3. It’s the next big thing now that VR clearly isn’t going to take the world by storm.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Battle for Middle Earth III?

A man can dream.

Unfortunately that is a EA title but Warner has the LOTR/tolkien license these days. But ya I loved those games. I spent an insane amount of hours playing online in those games and the community was pretty active for a long time.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm looking forward to Bethesda's big reveal being some kind of loot crate card game, and then an offhand comment in an interview that they haven't even started ES6 yet because the technology to do it is like a decade away. Again.

Eh not sure about that. Didn't Bethesda basically have a trailer in the Game Awards saying how they will focus still on singleplayer games. That being said I think we will still see them push their MMORPG and card game. I know the MMORPGs is active and some people like it, not sure about their card game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ever wonder what the bottom of an avatar's foot looks like?

WABAM!

There it is

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FanaticalMilk posted:

It isn't the end, but I can't think of any RTSes released past Starcraft 2 that are marquee titles like what you would see announced at a conference. The only thing I can think of is Halo Wars 2, but that's because anything involving Halo is good enough to be a part of a conference for Microsoft.

Age of Empires 4 would be big enough for E3 imo. It has already been announced but no gameplay trailer. The problem is that I don't think it is a Xbox One game so it would be weird to see it at E3. I hope they give it some attention though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

Apple also did some AR table demos, but not at E3. It’s the next big thing now that VR clearly isn’t going to take the world by storm.

I would put serious doubts on that. AR is severely limited because it's simply overlaying 3D models over video footage. VR is still in early adopter stages but developers are making progress and players are getting used to the sensations of being inside a 3d environment, it just needs time to grow and there's plenty of diehard enthusiasts who are willing to keep supporting new VR titles and hardware.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:drat: post+avatar combo.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ulio posted:

Unfortunately that is a EA title but Warner has the LOTR/tolkien license these days. But ya I loved those games. I spent an insane amount of hours playing online in those games and the community was pretty active for a long time.

...and good luck getting ea to make a rts game even if they had the license.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

...and good luck getting ea to make a rts game even if they had the license.

If they were was a way to monetize it and lootcratify it but ya RTS is a pretty standard genre with little wiggle room.

As an RTS fan it sucks that the best RTS games to play are SC2 and AoE2 which are amazing but old. At least the strategy genre in general is still doing well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

I would put serious doubts on that. AR is severely limited because it's simply overlaying 3D models over video footage. VR is still in early adopter stages but developers are making progress and players are getting used to the sensations of being inside a 3d environment, it just needs time to grow and there's plenty of diehard enthusiasts who are willing to keep supporting new VR titles and hardware.

AR has work purposes and is already being put into place in a limited fashion in some large scale factory settings. Whether it ever becomes a gaming thing is questionable but he companies working on it are banking on business clients.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AR has like zero applications in video games and all the AR HMD manufacturers are turning out to be venture capital scams anyway so you're not gonna see any of that at E3 this year. Check back in a year or two when the Apple HMD comes out.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Ya heard it here folks, Pokemon Go was a complete failure.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unreal_One posted:

It started very hot and faded rather quickly.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

It started very hot and faded rather quickly.

They said Pokemon Go, not vr.

Oh, wait, you said started very hot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Not an AR game. First thing most people did was turn off the camera.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pokémon Go faded when they filed off all the eminently viral quirky edges like hunting Pokémon at the holocaust museum or while driving.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

also the disastercon in Chicago

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

Not an AR game. First thing most people did was turn off the camera.

This is also a huge factor, it's a massive fuckin' battery drain.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

They said Pokemon Go, not vr.

Oh, wait, you said started very hot.

The state of VR now is nowhere like what it was at launch. It's come a long way on the software front that even noted cynic CrowBCat has put out a couple videos with a positive spin on VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcHnG8EDTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQmdhD520E

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

This is also a huge factor, it's a massive fuckin' battery drain.

The state of VR now is nowhere like what it was at launch. It's come a long way on the software front that even noted cynic CrowBCat has put out a couple videos with a positive spin on VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcHnG8EDTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQmdhD520E

Crowbcat makes joke youtube videos, lol at calling him a cynic or taking his advice to heart.

lol that second one is the video he deleted too, I bet.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The only thing that will be better than the Smash Bros footage will be Devolver Digital's new Eric Andre Show.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I want Final Fantasy Tactics 2 on the Switch please.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

I want Final Fantasy Tactics 2 on the Switch please.

There have already been two other FFT games, on GBA and DS, respectively.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I still don't think that Kinect was a terrible idea and it had a lot of potential, I had a lot of fun playing Kinect Adventures / Fruit Ninja / Happy Action Theater with my kids back at the time.
Much like every Microsoft peripheral, of course, it was severely underutilized and then thrown on the trash heap with all the rest of their unrealized peripherals, like...

Motto posted:

Remember the year they showed off some VR/hologram table thing that nobody ever heard of again.

Also, Smartglass

Ulio posted:

If they were was a way to monetize it and lootcratify it but ya RTS is a pretty standard genre with little wiggle room.

RTSes would probably be among the easiest genres to lootcrate / make into pay2win. Units / structures that you can only get with real money, for instance.

Motto posted:

also the disastercon in Chicago

tell me more about this

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 30, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

RTSes would probably be among the easiest genres to lootcrate / make into pay2win. Units / structures that you can only get with real money, for instance.

The reason that C&C Generals 2 died is that EA couldn't figure out how to add in lootboxes without having the pay to win aspect completely destroy any semblance of balance.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

univbee posted:

There have already been two other FFT games, on GBA and DS, respectively.

I didn't ask for another Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIf9cnn2-N4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fysno8xdJWo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I just hope we get Just Dance 2019 on Wii and Wii U, as well as NBA 2K19, FIFA 19 and PES 2019 on PS3/360. :ohdear:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

haveblue posted:

Anthem is probably being hastily retooled after the loot box backlash and after the game it was supposed to ape (Destiny 2) turned out to be a deeply flawed model.

What was wrong with it? I never paid any attention to destiny 2.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cuntellectual posted:

What was wrong with it? I never paid any attention to destiny 2.

There was basically no end game, and Bungie had rigged various xp mechanics.

It got dull really quickly.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Ubisoft should try announcing Beyond good and evil 2 again, just to see how many people remember it exists.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont even know who wants that sequel, the first game was a really middling mess of ideas that ended with one of the rudest bossfight mechanics possible in a Zelda ripoff.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Beyond Good & Evil has a huge cult following, a lot of people were really into that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was a charming and fun game and you could just turn your controller upside down for that bit of the last boss or indeed suck it up because it wasn't even that hard.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The reason that C&C Generals 2 died is that EA couldn't figure out how to add in lootboxes without having the pay to win aspect completely destroy any semblance of balance.

Ya thats what I meant when I said you can't lootcrate RTS. Because RTS games are all about balance. Of course you can put any game anything behind a paywall but in the RTS genre it just seems forced.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

homeless snail posted:

AR has like zero applications in video games and all the AR HMD manufacturers are turning out to be venture capital scams anyway so you're not gonna see any of that at E3 this year. Check back in a year or two when the Apple HMD comes out.

AR would make for some pretty kickass tabletop games, they just have to make it not cost thousands of dollars per headset first.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ulio posted:

Ya thats what I meant when I said you can't lootcrate RTS. Because RTS games are all about balance. Of course you can put any game anything behind a paywall but in the RTS genre it just seems forced.

Unit skins and unique models seem to be a thing they could do. Less C&C2, more Overwatch. I bet World War 2 spergs would shell out hundreds every year to get a rare chance at the time limited Pz. IV Ausf. J Ukrainian woodlands camouflage (1942) to show off in online matches.

Reminds me of how Company of Heroes 1 did it. I remember specifically dropping out of that game when the latest expansion pack added alternative "sidegrades" for some units (which were straight up better, though not really P2W, just annoyingly marginally better), but it also introduced a few unique skins for existing units. I never played Company of Heroes 2 but I remember that game being a flop because it came out when P2W microtransactions seemed like a good idea in a community built around the notion of balance, as you said.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think it had a rough launh, but COH2 didn't really flop, and is one of the only RTS games to maintain an active multiplayer in recent years.

Now DOW3 on the other hand...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everybody forgets about Halo Wars 2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Sakurazuka posted:

It was a charming and fun game

That's what garnered BG&E its cult following, was its charm and style. That's why I can't understand the BG&E2 trailer showing us none of that and instead give us a cursing monkey and a bunch of guns followed by a bunch of No Man's Sky style promises.

I'd love to be wrong, but I feel like we're getting a monkey's paw sequel.

• Locked thread