Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

do I look like I’m made out of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NEED MORE MILK posted:

do I look like I’m made out of money

dude cat 5 and cat 6 virtually cost the same. my parents' latvian appartment from year 2000 has cat 6 lan. cat 5 in 2018 is exceedingly stupid

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

i hope you wired your house with at least cat6a if not cat7 in tyool 2018

cat 7 has adoption problems, not having cat 6 is not an excuse yea

pram
Jun 10, 2001

NEED MORE MILK posted:

Wave 2 and 4x4 mimo

also ubiquiti is good, the pro hd is expensive but the standard pro is completely reasonable. we just bought a house and I ripped the plaster ceilings down because they were in extremely rough shape and now I’m running cat5 everywhere for drops and ceiling mounted waps and it’s gomna be all ubnt gear everywhere

ah yes cat 5 in 2018

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i got my house wired with cat6 and it only cost like $500 for 6 drops hth

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I've got around 100m of cat5e and 100m of cat6 in my home and it doesn't really make any difference because 10gig ethernet is still annoyingly power hungry and expensive.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
smh if youre not wiring your house with 40g infiniband

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've got around 100m of cat5e and 100m of cat6 in my home and it doesn't really make any difference because 10gig ethernet is still annoyingly power hungry and expensive.

cat 5e sure, that's tolerable i guess. cat 5 is just lmao, it's 4 times slower than my internet connection

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have idk what it is. a cable

and my aSSus router delivers 5g to my ipad everywhere in my house

god I love my new ipad. but there are some very hosed things

there is not really a normal place to just have files on the ipad. I wante dot piut some movies on for a upcoming holiday BUT itunes being the worthless sak of poo poo its always been, couldnt transfer the videos

SO

I found a method to copy the videos into the "files" app basically.. BUT the files app isn';t like a file system browser and you cant create a folder for files.. files have to be saved "into" an app, so lol all my videos are "in" pages :rolleyes:

and come on when are they going to give more flexibility with icon positioning etc.

like I HATE janitoring my app icons but its incredibly lame iOS comes default with apps you NEVER use BUT then puts them on the first page which the home button takes you to. it takes minutes to move all that worthless poo poo to the next page and put the stuff you actually use ther.. BUT why isn't that default?

oh and you deleted an app? good now your muscle memory has to change becayuse everything else moved too

and on the ipad... they reorder when you orientate change? gently caress thats poo poo

just let us do it android style and put something somewhere and it stays there until YOU move it.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

cat 5e sure, that's tolerable i guess. cat 5 is just lmao, it's 4 times slower than my internet connection

I don’t think you can buy just regular cat5 anymore unless you go out of your way to. i don’t even type the e out because it’s implied nowadays except in yospos I guess where there’s enough grognards who are even aware of its existence

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 28, 2018

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

there is not really a normal place to just have files on the ipad. I wante dot piut some movies on for a upcoming holiday BUT itunes being the worthless sak of poo poo its always been, couldnt transfer the videos

SO

I found a method to copy the videos into the "files" app basically.. BUT the files app isn';t like a file system browser and you cant create a folder for files.. files have to be saved "into" an app, so lol all my videos are "in" pages :rolleyes:

and come on when are they going to give more flexibility with icon positioning etc.

like I HATE janitoring my app icons but its incredibly lame iOS comes default with apps you NEVER use BUT then puts them on the first page which the home button takes you to. it takes minutes to move all that worthless poo poo to the next page and put the stuff you actually use ther.. BUT why isn't that default?

oh and you deleted an app? good now your muscle memory has to change becayuse everything else moved too

and on the ipad... they reorder when you orientate change? gently caress thats poo poo

just let us do it android style and put something somewhere and it stays there until YOU move it.

lmao if the first thing you didn’t do when you set up you iDevice is make a folder for this poo poo and shove it 3 pages away

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
exactly

and new apps default to page two when you download

the "home" page of apps should be the ones you use most often. not the junk apple puts at you

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

pram posted:

maybe five years ago lol

got more fiber than shredded wheat

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
got a second hand time capsule and a ubiquiti AC lite powering my WiFi, works great

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

echinopsis posted:

SO

my man just download nPlayer and use it to copy video files to your iPad over the wireless network using smb or webdav or whatever the kids are using these days

its 2018 you don’t have to connect your idevice to computers with wires lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah i like wireless because there arent any wires

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just cache poo poo offf my plex server when I'm gonna be traveling and need it offline on my iPad or iPhone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
siri...no

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I made a Bootcamp partition or whatever and installed Windows 10 on my secondary Mac and uhhh....:stonk:

I don't know, feels kind of lovely. I miss Windows XP.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I made a Bootcamp partition or whatever and installed Windows 10 on my secondary Mac and uhhh....:stonk:

ur dumb

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
yeah :(

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

multimode fiber or bust

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I know what you mean. it’s the half-assed chunky flat theme with empty space everywhere, the weird not-quite-redundancy between settings and control panel ... win10 just feels half finished, like a linux. 7 was the last Windows that felt like it had a clear vision of what kind of interface it was going for

not that macos is any better these days. bring back aqua

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
considering both plasma 5 and gnome 3 have more consistent visions than windows 10, it's worse than a linux

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it still looks like windows 95 in a lot of places

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kalstrams thinks this is a revelation for yosposters

jokes on

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
in the world of windows, windows 10 is good

outside of it, eh.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
wait what was that about a feud between stebe and nvidia? with nothing nvidia in macs?

because i just upgraded my work late 2013 imac to kubuntu 18.04 and it has a "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [GeForce GTX 775M Mac Edition] (rev a1)"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
macbook nvidia gpus desoldering themselves

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lysidas posted:

wait what was that about a feud between stebe and nvidia? with nothing nvidia in macs?

because i just upgraded my work late 2013 imac to kubuntu 18.04 and it has a "01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [GeForce GTX 775M Mac Edition] (rev a1)"
stebe died in 2011 and took the feud to his grave

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pram posted:

macbook nvidia gpus desoldering themselves

wasn't it later tracked to an under-specced capacitor in Apple's power supply for the GPU making GBS threads itself?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the original nvidia feud is long over. the new nvidia feud is over then suing Apple for patents on gpus.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just because nvidia cards perform better in dx games on windows doesnt mean theyre good for linux and osx. performance will be garbage no matter what with opengl unless the games are already vulkan/metal

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stebe had a lot of unreasonable vendettas

the no-flash-on-apple thing started because adobe changed their primary platform target from mac os to windows sometime in the early 2000s cause literally no one was buying macs so they were making no money focusing their efforts there. so stebe hit the roof and no adobe products demoed in the next macworld keynote and history wrote itself

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

the no-flash-on-apple thing started because adobe changed their primary platform target from mac os to windows sometime in the early 2000s cause literally no one was buying macs so they were making no money focusing their efforts there. so stebe hit the roof and no adobe products demoed in the next macworld keynote and history wrote itself

that vendetta was nuts but boy am i grateful for the demise of flash

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

lol yeah that totally not because flash was terrible, power hungry and insecure

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

lol no it's cause flash sucked and caused a lot of problems on mac os. he didn't want to deal with the same security risks and bad performance on mobile devices

the twist: it didnt just suck on macos, it fuckin sucked everywhere and im glad its dead.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

my school still uses flash for their course registration page. i can’t escape that garbage software.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so many hilarious early 00s cartoons gone like tears in rain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

coke posted:

lol yeah that totally not because flash was terrible, power hungry and insecure

yes, it's good that all those lovely flash based web apps have been replaced by lightweight, secure, languages like javascript

flash was undoubtedly lovely but that wasn't why stebe killed it originally