Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Hawkline posted:

Not saying you should give up, but you might need a plan B if an NG 9-5 in manual never feasibly shows up.

Out of nowhere, we've had a handful of NG9-3SS manuals, after giving up trying to find one.

kimbo305 posted:

I think I'd be happy if I could get one in the next 2 years. Just need to have the money ready to buy one instead of selling a car first.

That seems to be my eternal problem. I grab a fix-n-flip, and it sits here because $REASONS, and no cash to buy the cars I actually want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bipolar Transistor posted:

That seems to be my eternal problem. I grab a fix-n-flip, and it sits here because $REASONS, and no cash to buy the cars I actually want.

Having gotten more and more into BringATrailer lately, I think part of the plan for scooping up an uncommon car when it pops up is to have the cash and have a plan for parking it, which is slightly less trivial now that I have one off street spot in addition to street parking.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

kimbo305 posted:

Having gotten more and more into BringATrailer lately, I think part of the plan for scooping up an uncommon car when it pops up is to have the cash and have a plan for parking it, which is slightly less trivial now that I have one off street spot in addition to street parking.

NG9-5 manual obviously will take the off-street spot. You might try looking North; Dana Saab in Montana was a huge hub for sales in the entire region.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How many actual still-running Saab dealerships are there still around?

We ran into Flikkema Saab on the way out of Chicago:

http://flikkemasaab.com/

Something about the idea of businesses clinging onto dead brands is just so plucky.

They had a beautiful 25th Anniversary blue convertible 9-3 there, but for $15k....no.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

GD_American posted:

We ran into Flikkema Saab on the way out of Chicago:

http://flikkemasaab.com/

Ugh. They're NEVS supporters, too. There's delusional, and then there's delusional. I don't know of any SAAB-only places that still exist, anymore. Most do Volvo/anything-Bosch-based, these days. There was a little bit of life on the saabtechs Yahoo group a few weeks back: People just talking about a bygone era every so often.

So, have an odd new issue with an OG9-5. It's electrical somewhere, because fuse 3 activates courtesy lights and both in the trunk (normally parking lights). Never seen that before.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So, have an odd new issue with an OG9-5. It's electrical somewhere, because fuse 3 activates courtesy lights and both in the trunk (normally parking lights). Never seen that before.

Just found a fun one myself- there are 3 amber LED side markers set into the headlight assembly on the post refresh 9-3 (US spec only, it seems). Mine are out on one side (I knew this buying the car, figured it was an easy fix down the road.)

It's not.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344761

There was a TSB from Saab on how to add a resistor to the headlight assembly (once you get it open, which requires baking it in the loving oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes, but it turns out that only fixes a problem with the LEDs on the "eyebrow". There is no fix for the side LEDs.

Except for a new 600 dollar headlight assembly.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

GD_American posted:

Except for a new 600 dollar headlight assembly.

Just like when SAAB was still with us!

If anyone is still rebuilding their OG9-3/9-5 alarms, I bought a metric fuckton of batteries- and then my local "rebuilder" backed out of paying for his half.

If anyone wants a pair of CR17335SE, $10 shipped CONUS, $12 with tracking should cover it. I may not have enough capacitors to go around depending on orders, but I can do at least a handful of caps+bats if anyone is interested, because a guy only needs so many drat alarms.

Thanks to Mario for that link for the cheap bulbs- that's saved me a hell of a lot of money with my impulse purchase-fix-and-get-tired-of machines.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I should wing a low-ball on this, right?:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Saab-9-5/302659164910
2.5/5 for console button condition, but I've only seen 2 NGs that were spotless.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Seat leather looks bad, but that's one of the easiest things on earth to fix.

There's some aftermarket buttons around the Facebook groups, here's the dude's email:

saabsolutions@yahoo.com

9500 for the Aero XWD seems pretty nice. I'd be curious about those service records.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GD_American posted:

There's some aftermarket buttons around the Facebook groups, here's the dude's email:

saabsolutions@yahoo.com

Hunh, I was curious about that, cuz there's been a couple of otherwise cherry cars that have had mysteriously destroyed button caps.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

I should wing a low-ball on this, right?:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Saab-9-5/302659164910
2.5/5 for console button condition, but I've only seen 2 NGs that were spotless.

Please tell me you bought it; that's absolutely beautiful.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Please tell me you bought it; that's absolutely beautiful.

No, I put my eggs on this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222875477013
It had the propeller wheels, which was a huge plus.

I was the high bidder, but it ended early. Local buy?
Anyways, by the time that happened, the other car got bought.

e: looks like it's on their site for 7k: http://www.drivecbg.com/2010-Saab-95/Used-Car/Pheonix-AZ/10709890/Details.aspx

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

I was the high bidder, but it ended early. Local buy?

Well, the SoCal SAAB is still available:

eBay posted:

Yes it's available as of now. Sold it twice already but no one comes thru. Yes it looks like a cig burn but no cig smell at all inside.

Re: A pillar.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Socal one is back and I'll bid on it if my offer on this one doesn't make it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Saab-9-5-AERO/173216401084
A bit more, recent service, but maybe harder life in the snow to have warranted that service?

Both have different buttons with the paint flaking.

GD_American posted:

saabsolutions@yahoo.com

I emailed but didn't hear a response. Is he active on the FB group?

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Socal one is back and I'll bid on it if my offer on this one doesn't make it:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Saab-9-5-AERO/173216401084

What bothers me about this one is that it claims to be two owner, but the report says three, and CarFax, as useless as it is has 42 records on this. My 18 year old 9-5 doesn't have that many, and I need to smog every year. It was auctioned off at 3, and has several titles throughout it's short life. Something's telling me this is a dud.

Bipolar Transistor fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 19, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What bothers me about this one is that it claims to be two owner, but the report says three, and CarFax, as useless as it is has 42 records on this. My 18 year old 9-5 doesn't have that many, and I need to smog every year. It was auctioned off at 3, and has several titles throughout it's short life. Something's telling me this is a dud.

Could the frequency be from Ohio just being really anal about reporting things?
Yeah, I can't make sense of all the lien and personal titles.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

Could the frequency be from Ohio just being really anal about reporting things?
Yeah, I can't make sense of all the lien and personal titles.

Possibly. The last car like this that made my shortlist was a laser red 2009 9-3. It had 5 owners in 6 years. Needless to say, I didn't drive up to check it out.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I emailed but didn't hear a response. Is he active on the FB group?

I don't know. Just found it through searching.

Well, I know for sure I have a Saab now. Rear window gear crunched with the door open. 3rd time in 2 cars.

I guess if they had to have a weak point, it could have been lots worse.

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?

GD_American posted:

I guess if they had to have a weak point, it could have been lots worse.

Cup holders. Oh my god they could not design a cup holder to save their lives. The "diving board" cup holder above the radio in my 1999 9-3 snapped off whole I was on the freeway... Whole holding a cup of hot coffee. That was almost and death sentence in that traffic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

GD_American posted:

I don't know. Just found it through searching.

Are these national FB groups that I could join?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Mephistopheles posted:

Cup holders. Oh my god they could not design a cup holder to save their lives. The "diving board" cup holder above the radio in my 1999 9-3 snapped off whole I was on the freeway... Whole holding a cup of hot coffee. That was almost and death sentence in that traffic.

Not sure which kind you are referring to, but this is my most favouritest cup holder of any car ever.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Are these national FB groups that I could join?

Not sure; most of my better info came from SaabCentral, but there's still a surprising dearth of information on a few things out there. For example, the eLSD fluid change; I've found one thread with some bad photos, and I'm still leery of pulling the thing off for maintenance. I've changed all the fluids by this point except for that, and there was nothing out there about changing the automatic transmission fluid. Even the WIS software was a little confusing, but we finally figured it out. It's actually a pretty neat (if weird) design on the drain tube underneath.

I think there's a few ex-Saab techs (and of course, the "I work on Swedish cars" mechanic-types) around Facebook, but I don't really spend much time there so I'm no help.

One thing to be leery of with the 9-5NGs (I was looking at them too until I got the Turbo X) is that mechanically, you're pretty much up to your own devices. There is practically no how-tos, videos, or walkthroughs that I've ever seen.

Mephistopheles
Sep 24, 2003

How can I help you?

ionn posted:

Not sure which kind you are referring to, but this is my most favouritest cup holder of any car ever.

Ok I'll grant you that those ones in the 9-5 aren't bad. But the diving board ones were terrible. The faster you went, the more the road vibration would make them shake and your coffee would end up going everywhere.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Honestly, I'd stick a Tech2 on it at this point, because that's still strange, but I've had some aftermarket coils which didn't "unset" bad codes when migrated, because their data was loving garbage.

After a reflash and all "good" coils, it hasn't thrown a code in several years. The ECU issue is a big loving cunthole, though, yeah. Ask me about the 2006 I don't own, but still have to pay to repair!

You can always put the same Haldex on an old T-X/9-3x by migrating the module backwards. NG9-5? poo poo fried? Nice looking flowerpot.

Update,

I added two coils, ran fine since the last time I posted. Then the other two started making GBS threads, my wife limped it to our "Saab guy." They took a week to let us know that the ECU poo poo itself and that they couldn't do the work there. We then had it towed 40 miles to another shop that can program a new ECU. They verified it needed a new ECU and that we needed to replace the other two coils that I didn't replace. I have a used ECU being drop shipped.
I wanted to like this car, but man, what a piece of poo poo. I say this as an RX7 owner.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Here's a Saab for sale.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-saab-model-96/6568206135.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guess who bought an 2010 9-5 Aero sight unseen on eBay and is having a shop replace all the timing chain stuff?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

As posted in the craigslist thread: I want it but can't have it and its hurting me.

kimbo305 posted:

Guess who bought an 2010 9-5 Aero sight unseen on eBay and is having a shop replace all the timing chain stuff?

:getin:

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Cool. be interesting to see your take on it after driving fast/nice/fancy stuff.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Well, the quickest way to get in the pool is both feet towards the deep end.

Post pics when you can. The idea of owning an NG is both scary and alluring.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wish Charles River Saab were still around. I took it to an independent Saab/Volvo shop, and they seem pretty knowledgeable. The car has 110k on it, so they were surprised the chain was stretched. The cam position sensor was faulty on the bench, so they replace that hoping it would be just a sensor issue, but nope, gonna do the whole hog. If the chain is the main money sink for this car, I'll come out a little ahead all told.

The 3rd brake light is flickering, which had the inspection station call it a failure. I have one flying in from Germany, and will probably send the busted one up to the LED repair business.
Oh, the inspection also failed me for a broken reverse light, even though this gen 9-5 still only has one reverse lamp. What's the most official documentation I could give to the shop to demonstrate that? The manual isn't really that clear about it.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, the inspection also failed me for a broken reverse light, even though this gen 9-5 still only has one reverse lamp. What's the most official documentation I could give to the shop to demonstrate that? The manual isn't really that clear about it.

The dame edna OG 9-5s also have 1 reverse light on the non-wagons. My inspector has never even mentioned it in 3 inspections, but not real sure he's noticed.

Texas defers to the federal requirement on this, and the federal requirement is only 1 given it has certain visibility (look here and search for "backup lamp" if your state also defers to the federal requirement): https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The V6 in this Turbo X puts out a frightening amount of heat. I'm used to my old 2.0T and it was nowhere near as hot after a freeway drive; now I've seen a little bit of discoloration on the plastic engine cover on the side near the turbo and you can't touch anything in the engine bay afterward for a good half hour.

I realize I'm being nanny-ish, but where's a good place to start trying to bring the under-hood temps down just as a preventive measure? I've already replaced a vacuum line that split near the end; I'm not saying the heat did it, but it probably didn't help.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Have you got an electric fan with a timer/temp sensor ?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

spog posted:

Have you got an electric fan with a timer/temp sensor ?

Yes, and it runs for several minutes after I shut off if I drove it for more than a few miles.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Can i put the turbo from a 2000 95 Aero Wagon in a 2005 95 Aero Wagon?

I figure the work removing the turbo from the 2000 will give me an indication if i'll able to install it in the 2005 or if i should let a mechanic do it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GD_American posted:

Yes, and it runs for several minutes after I shut off if I drove it for more than a few miles.

I guess my concern would be whether it is running too hot when the engine is under normal use.

Does Torque let you see the real engine temp?

Possibly a coolant fluash and replace might make things coolers under there.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

underlig posted:

Can i put the turbo from a 2000 95 Aero Wagon in a 2005 95 Aero Wagon?

I figure the work removing the turbo from the 2000 will give me an indication if i'll able to install it in the 2005 or if i should let a mechanic do it.

It should be the same part.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

2010 9-5 is up and running after the chain replacement.
I created a separate thread for talking about it and another car:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3858411

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I like Saabs, they look nice but not flashy, are comfortable on long distance hauls yet somehow also quite affordable around here (w. europe) on the used market, especially compared to the German mid-to-high-end segment. I guess the Saab automobile bankruptcies have something to do with that much in the same way Rover prices tanked when that brand went under. I'd rather have '900' than '75' on the back of my car though. So they look good, but I learned to love them driving long distance in most of the 90s models over the years due to another Saab-nut friend. They were all very comfortable down long stretches of autobahn, which is mainly what I'll be using a car for. Honorable mention for the 9000 that had the most spacious back seats I've sat in ever until someone offers me a ride in an audi a8L or a drat maybach or something. The dedicated black panel button is just the coolest thing :c00lbert:

Two quick questions maybe this thread can answer: I'm thinking of buying a late eighties 900 Turbo because I am a massive sucker for tiny unpainted rear spoilers and the silhouette on those earlier models generally is awesome. I've got a lead on both a 4-door hatchback and a 2 door sedan in my price range. Before I make an appointment for a test drive, roughly speaking, are the newer models that shaped my frame of reference even remotely comparable to the older one on the type 99 chassis? In terms of comfort and feeling really 'solid' to drive. Second question, I'm new to it but planning to learn basic car maintenance work on whatever car I end up purchasing. I don't drive daily, I bike to work so it's no problem should I fail really badly or whatever, but is an 80s turbocharged scandinavian powerhouse a good starter car for learning this type of stuff or is that idea extremely flawed for some reason?

Last question: not sure whether that's a local thing or not, a rusty to decent 900 from 1985-1990 will cost around 1250 to 5000 EUR around here, whereas I can literally find dozens of 9-3's for under 800-1000 EUR in good visual condition, most of them having recently passed their yearly inspection. So they're not legally broken currently but I'm still puzzled whether those will fall apart rapidly in the near future -- or are they just 'worth' that little? That seems insane

e. last last question
the big one actually
do these older 900s have the black panel dashboard button feature???

Old Binsby fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 28, 2018