Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

NJPW hasn't done a women's division mostly out of tradition and that's whatever. I could see them starting to consider it more now that they're lengthening those tours. The challenge would be how to present it.

I don't see them doing it, they actually have a fairly loaded roster and while they have modernized I don't see them wanting to talent raid any of the existing Joshi or mixed promotions to get the talent needed for a division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gaz-L posted:

Am I crazy or did they get Kevin to do the show from the 27th in post? I could swear it wasn't listed as having English announcing on the schedule, but I just logged into New Japan World and it's in the 'NEW' carousel.

One of the Korakuen shows from last week went up late in English too. Maybe he's dubbing some of them from home?

sigmachiev posted:

Main event didn't really do it for me, and even before the abrupt finish I was thinking it was a little below what my expectations were.

Spoilers in case anyone is still catching up today: Wonder if Naito winning means Ibushi or Kenny gets the shot at Dominion. I don't see them doing the champ vs champ match anymore now that Naito's champ.

I'm not sure what they'll do with the HW title but I assume ZSJ gets an IC shot soon.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

if Okada retains I'm sure they'll do Ibushi at Dominion and Omega at the Cow Palace. If Tanahashi wins who knows

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cody is challenging again sooner than later

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Chinston Wurchill posted:

One of the Korakuen shows from last week went up late in English too. Maybe he's dubbing some of them from home?

He was supposed to be there live but had a family emergency, he's now doing studio commentary for the shows he missed. Props to Kevin Kelly, he seems to genuinely care.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cody vs Kenny for the IWGP title would probably be a good Main Event for All In

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I don't see them doing it, they actually have a fairly loaded roster and while they have modernized I don't see them wanting to talent raid any of the existing Joshi or mixed promotions to get the talent needed for a division.

That's fair. NJPW is into longterm planning so the end goal would be to establish a women's dojo and start producing talent. Its doable but a lot of structure and planning required.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Cody vs Kenny for the IWGP title would probably be a good Main Event for All In

feel like that's gonna be cody vs. magnus for the nwa title. projecting out to All In is tough because you have the g1 between that and the cow palace.

having cody win would be a good way to keep the title out of the g1 though. maybe with hangman interference to mirror aj's win over okada

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

coconono posted:

That's fair. NJPW is into longterm planning so the end goal would be to establish a women's dojo and start producing talent. Its doable but a lot of structure and planning required.

Surely it would make more sense just to chuck some of that Bushiroad money at Meiko Satomura to buy Sendai Girls or something. Her dojo is already producing really good wrestlers.

Some people on Twitter seem really upset about the main event of Hinokuni. Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that a Naito/Suzuki match wasn't as good as a Jay White/David Finlay match especially after a great build but was it that awful? I thought it was perfectly serviceable.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I thought it was a pretty good match. But most of it was Suzuki having a kneelock on Naito and Naito trying to get out of it. I can see that being disappointing if you really wanted them to go after each other.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Baron Corbyn posted:

Some people on Twitter seem really upset about the main event of Hinokuni. Yeah, it's kind of disappointing that a Naito/Suzuki match wasn't as good as a Jay White/David Finlay match especially after a great build but was it that awful? I thought it was perfectly serviceable.

I wouldn't say I'm upset, seemed more like an off night is all. A Naito/Suzuki title match main event should be beyond perfectly serviceable but it's not like it was some disaster or anything.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I thought Juice/Goto was much more engaging, that match ruled.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Naito sucks

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I thought Juice/Goto was much more engaging, that match ruled.

That was probably the best match of the tour so far. The CHAOS vs NJPW guys matches have been far better than the Suzuki-gun vs LIJ matches.

Also they've been calling the unaffiliated guys 'hontai' on this tour. Is that new? I thought they were Sekigun

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Naito/Suzuki was good but it wasn't great and really didn't match any of the other HM singles on the tour and people were expecting something really good.

Anyway today's show was good and watchable but the real best card is the May 4th one with the JR and Heavy singles matches.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Maybe they knew and that's why it was on a Road to... show in the first place.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Worth mentioning that this week's free match is the first match between Tanahashi and Okada from 2012. I didn't know that Okada had a purple streak through his hair before, so now I know where Ospreay got his purple hair from.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

sigmachiev posted:

Main event didn't really do it for me, and even before the abrupt finish I was thinking it was a little below what my expectations were.

Spoilers in case anyone is still catching up today: Wonder if Naito winning means Ibushi or Kenny gets the shot at Dominion. I don't see them doing the champ vs champ match anymore now that Naito's champ.

Agreed, thoroughly underwhelming. It felt like 90% of the match was Suzuki putting the leg hold on Naito.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hi everyone, just a reminder Cow Palace Tix go on sale tomorrow 10 am PT

https://www.ticketmaster.com/new/venue/229523

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Looks like Naito leaving the title in the ring is setting up his new gimmick of completely ignoring the fact that he's intercontinental champion.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

Looks like Naito leaving the title in the ring is setting up his new gimmick of completely ignoring the fact that he's intercontinental champion.

Good, just the way it should be. Especially if it means Suzuki stalking him, trying to force Naito to take the belt (though admittedly that might a bit more up DDT's alley rather than New Japan).

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Germansimp posted:

Good, just the way it should be. Especially if it means Suzuki stalking him, trying to force Naito to take the belt (though admittedly that might a bit more up DDT's alley rather than New Japan).

It might not be in-character for Suzuki but I could definitely see Hiromu just sort of toting the belt around because nobody else is.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

potential blasphemy: naito has been amazing since he joined lij, but of njpw's top guys, he is the least interesting to me in the ring. i enjoyed the suzuki match, but yeah. about what i expected.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cams posted:

potential blasphemy: naito has been amazing since he joined lij, but of njpw's top guys, he is the least interesting to me in the ring. i enjoyed the suzuki match, but yeah. about what i expected.

I find him more interesting than Suzuki but he's lower than Tanahashi, Okada and Omega for me.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I wonder if Jeff Cobb on the CEO x NJPW show and announced as a NJPW Talent means anything in the long run or just Jebailey being dumb.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Naito is my favorite NJPW guy but yeah, even I'll agree Omega and Okada are probably better in-ring guys. Naito just has a certain thing that gets me more then those guys. Like Sazuki said, he's cool with the punks and teens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Draxion posted:

It might not be in-character for Suzuki but I could definitely see Hiromu just sort of toting the belt around because nobody else is.

Hiromu is suddenly announced to be in the G1 because he was carrying the IC title and Gedo just assumed he was a HW now.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Naito was a lot better during his initial return as the new LIJ dude. But Suzuki is right, now it's for babies and punk kids.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

cams posted:

I don't disagree. I was one of maybe three people on this board who flipped out in a good way when Okada beat him at the Dome. He's cool but would say he's my sixth favorite guy in the heavyweight division behind Okada, Omega, Ibushi, Suzuki and Ishii, in that order.

E: Seventh. Forgot Tana. I'm a bad fan.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 1, 2018

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Naito does at least get to be the leader of the best stable. He gets to hang out with Hiromu!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I enjoyed the entire LIJ vs Suzuki Gun part of the card. The Naito vs Suzuki match wasn't amazing but this was the first non WK card that I've stayed up for all the way through and it was nice to see Naito win that belt that he hates again

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The pacing of the Naito vs. Sazuki match was odd. 90% of the match was real good but was all of Sazuki on offense. Then it ended with a quick burst from Naito, Destino, 123. Naito needed more offense to really make the pin feel right. In the match it just felt sudden.

The blood trickling from Suzuki's nose was a great image.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Gumball Gumption posted:

The pacing of the Naito vs. Sazuki match was odd. 90% of the match was real good but was all of Sazuki on offense. Then it ended with a quick burst from Naito, Destino, 123. Naito needed more offense to really make the pin feel right. In the match it just felt sudden.

The blood trickling from Suzuki's nose was a great image.

When I saw people talking about someone being hurt, I thought it was Naitos knee because the sequence after Suzuki had that half crab in the ropes, he was selling so long and awkwardly. But I guess it was just paced weird.

Oh well, one not incredible main event isn't gonna kill New Japan. It's just a testament to how high the standard has been raised lately

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Naito does at least get to be the leader of the best stable. He gets to hang out with Hiromu!

He's not the leader of the actual Ingobernables.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

He's not the leader of the actual Ingobernables.

i think andrade is still a member

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

cams posted:

Naito's my favourite but I'd definitely put Okada, Omega, Tanahashi, Ibushi, Ishii and the Minoru Suzuki we're getting in 2018 way above him in terms of how much I enjoy their ring work. This was definitely the least I've enjoyed a singles match involving either man this year so far which is surprising considering Naito has a YOSHI-HASHI match under his belt.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah I agree, Naito is a hot interview and character worker but his in-ring is generally just good by NJPW standards.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think that's more true for Suzuki than for Naito actually, I at least haven't seen him have matches comparable to Naito/Okada from WK12 or Naito/Omega from G1 finals last year.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

He's like, 50 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I think that's more true for Suzuki than for Naito actually, I at least haven't seen him have matches comparable to Naito/Okada from WK12 or Naito/Omega from G1 finals last year.

Suzuki is in contention for wrestler of the year by my reckoning. His matches with Tanahashi, Goto, Matt Riddle, Moustache Mountain, Makabe and Okada/Ishii have all been great.