Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Taima posted:

Can we just stop with the implication that expensive vodka is better?

The $12 handle of vodka is as good or better than the supposed "grey goose" vodka. If anything you should just buy a handle of Grey Goose, drink it, and then refill it with the $12 handle for the rest of your days.

No one will ever, EVER tell the difference. I challenge you to get a few people you know and blind test the two bottles.

Vodka in general is a ludicrous scam based almost entirely on placebo and brand fellatio.

Sweet thanks for the heads up!

My wife would always ask for hey house, but I had read any article that rayed Tito's more highly, so I bought done and it wad cheaper by about 8 bucks a bottle. We both prefer itand can taste the difference. I will day that I could never tell the difference between grey goose and whatever well vodka that a bar would serve once it is in a drink, but I do like how clean Tito's tastes. Another goon had recommended 360 vodka as a cheaper and better tasting option. I'll be trying that once I work through my store of Tito's.

I reject the notion that there is no difference at all, but I generally agree that in many cases you can get a much better value than "popular upper mid shelf liquor that has brand recognition."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
That is a fair point and I can't claim to have tried every vodka.

I would, however, invite you or anyone here to grab a few good vodkas, including the $12 6x distilled Kirkland vodka (not the french one) and do a blind test.

What we found is that the $12 handle from Kirkland was as good as anything else. The differences in vodka are very slight and have a lot to do with placebo.

That's not to say that all vodkas are the same; far from it. But any decently manufactured vodka is going to taste pretty similar.

You could also easily make the case that since the placebo effect is 100% real, you are actually having a better experience regardless of the objective properties of the product.

I always suggest blind tasting when it comes to hard alcohol. You would be loving stunned to taste some of this poo poo blind versus going in with some kind of brand identity association.

e: As a side note, this is also why people like P Diddy got in early on making private label vodka like Ciroc. They know drat well that the brand matters infinitely more than the taste in the vodka game due to placebo and marketing, so they produce a relatively cheap, baseline vodka and sell it for insane prices based on that brand recognition.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 30, 2018

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Made the journey to the Japanese Costco again, food court updated their seasonal items. The seasonal pizza is a 4-cheese one that's pretty good, seasonal soft serve is strawberry which was also very good, better than competing strawberry soft serve. PBUC!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Taima posted:

That is a fair point and I can't claim to have tried every vodka.

I would, however, invite you or anyone here to grab a few good vodkas, including the $12 6x distilled Kirkland vodka (not the french one) and do a blind test.

What we found is that the $12 handle from Kirkland was as good as anything else. The differences in vodka are very slight and have a lot to do with placebo.

That's not to say that all vodkas are the same; far from it. But any decently manufactured vodka is going to taste pretty similar.

You could also easily make the case that since the placebo effect is 100% real, you are actually having a better experience regardless of the objective properties of the product.

I always suggest blind tasting when it comes to hard alcohol. You would be loving stunned to taste some of this poo poo blind versus going in with some kind of brand identity association.

e: As a side note, this is also why people like P Diddy got in early on making private label vodka like Ciroc. They know drat well that the brand matters infinitely more than the taste in the vodka game due to placebo and marketing, so they produce a relatively cheap, baseline vodka and sell it for insane prices based on that brand recognition.

Lol I bet the 6x filtered vodka treasures a lot like Tito's actually, given their signature is all about the 5x filtered. I wish my state allowed hard liquor to be sold outside of state licensed liquor stores. I could drive to Washington, but any saving would be eaten up by sales tax.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

Lol I bet the 6x filtered vodka treasures a lot like Tito's actually, given their signature is all about the 5x filtered. I wish my state allowed hard liquor to be sold outside of state licensed liquor stores. I could drive to Washington, but any saving would be eaten up by sales tax.

Costcos got you covered mate:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

gotta get those clicks bruv

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Has anyone ever got eye glasses from costco?

I used to get them there, they're not as insane as luxotica monopoly garbage poo poo for loving retards, but they also aren't as competitive anymore as a lot of online glasses. they were insanely good during mid 90s-mid/late 2000s but now i recommend zenni or eyebuydirect. i've purchased a lot of glasses and quality/vision wise there's been very little difference. ive had some kinda junky cheap frames so you shouldn't get the absolute bottom of the barrel ones, but generally comes out to be about ~$50 out the door with a lot of add-ons/whatever for online glasses vs about $120-ish at Costco

i still do my eye exam at costco because its like $95 for glasses+contacts. they have been a lot busier lately than they were 10 years ago sadly

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Xaris posted:

I used to get them there, they're not as insane as luxotica monopoly garbage poo poo for loving retards, but they also aren't as competitive anymore as a lot of online glasses. they were insanely good during mid 90s-mid/late 2000s but now i recommend zenni or eyebuydirect. i've purchased a lot of glasses and quality/vision wise there's been very little difference. ive had some kinda junky cheap frames so you shouldn't get the absolute bottom of the barrel ones, but generally comes out to be about ~$50 out the door with a lot of add-ons/whatever for online glasses vs about $120-ish at Costco

i still do my eye exam at costco because its like $95 for glasses+contacts. they have been a lot busier lately than they were 10 years ago sadly

Yeah this is what I do, though I generally get at least one pair at Costco because the luxury of getting a pair that fits and looks not-goofy is worth it. I get a bunch more off the internet though, nice to have a bunch of glasses.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

binge crotching posted:

Pretty sure the French Kirkland vodka is made by Grey Goose anyway, so you're really not going to be able to tell the difference.

The story of Grey Goose is that a marketing guy saw how much Absolte was selling for and thought "I can do that" so he found some failing bourbon distilleries in France and partnered with them to make his super expensive vodka. So unless someone else has started distilling vodka in France, Kirkland brand is Grey Goose.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Taima posted:

Can we just stop with the implication that expensive vodka is better?

The $12 handle of vodka is as good or better than the supposed "grey goose" vodka. If anything you should just buy a handle of Grey Goose, drink it, and then refill it with the $12 handle for the rest of your days.

No one will ever, EVER tell the difference. I challenge you to get a few people you know and blind test the two bottles.

Vodka in general is a ludicrous scam based almost entirely on placebo and brand fellatio.

But I have tried them both at the same time and I definitely like one better? :shrug:

Article is bogus because they used a pic of a regular dog instead of the glorious communion we all enjoy. loving heathens.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bucnasti posted:

The story of Grey Goose is that a marketing guy saw how much Absolte was selling for and thought "I can do that" so he found some failing bourbon distilleries in France and partnered with them to make his super expensive vodka. So unless someone else has started distilling vodka in France, Kirkland brand is Grey Goose.

Kirkland French vodka is produced by Distillerie De Gayant in Douai. It's not made by Grey Goose.

The American vodka is produced by some place in California. I've seen other low-end vodka from the same GNS supplier, most notably one of Total Wine's house brands: same stuff but a little cheaper because they're not putting it in a glass bottle. That bottle is kinda annoying so I usually just go ahead and make the trip to Total Wine instead. If there is a difference in taste I certainly can't tell once it's mixed into a Moscow Mule.

One of the many ethanol plants up here in Minnesota got into the vodka business. If you've had a "Midwest Grown" vodka, it was probably produced at a fuel plant. Shakers, Moon Mountain, Crop Organic, Prairie Organic, UV, Phillip's, etc.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
What do I use my Costco bucket for?

*laughs*

Thats where all my savings from shopping at Costco go.

:smug:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

Ahhh, brewing some mighty fine Alaskan homebrew.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Chinatown posted:

What do I use my Costco bucket for?

*laughs*

Thats where all my savings from shopping at Costco go.

:smug:

Is the plane somewhere in Costco?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Is the plane somewhere in Costco?

definitely could be. i will keep my eyes peeled next fime...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The sherpa blankets are the ones to get right?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

https://costco97.com

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The sherpa blankets are the ones to get right?

Yessss

embrace the sherpa

be one with the sherpa

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

My man

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I really hope that the rigid inflatable boat that Costco sells will go on sale soon. Please hear my prayers, PBUC

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rutibex posted:

Lol I’ve wondered how kilju tastes ever since they implemented it in My Summer Car

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This article is garbage and I automatically hate its author.

quote:

Most of Costco’s demographic is middle- and high-income households — the exact same demographic as Amazon Prime. The kicker is that Amazon Prime’s $119 membership awards them more than just groceries and a growing number of bulk essentials. Costco’s $60 annual fee and product line can’t say the same.

Oh really? So the cheap tires, propane, vacation packages, no-haggle new car buying experience, discounts on home and auto insurance, cheap prescriptions, and whole bunch of other things I can't remember, don't count?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Mortgage program too

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I have Prime, but it doesn't give me polish dogs with drink and refill for $1.50.

Edit: or roast chickens for 5 bucks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
also lol if you think amazon prime will be good once they kill the brick and mortar competition

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

If I had to choose between Prime and Costco, I'd dump Prime without a second thought.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not to mention the cost of Prime is going up, so it now costs twice as much as an annual Costco membership.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I like Prime also but they are raising the price again... It used to be $79 and now its going up to $119.

I order a bunch of stuff from them but if the price keeps going up that will be less of a bargain.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the more people use amazon the shittier it will become. that is literally their business model. the good deals were only there to kill competitors

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't think I order enough poo poo for Amazon Prime to be useful, and I never watch their TV poo poo either. This thread rules for reminding me to cancel that poo poo.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah the only reason I have prime right now is the 6 month free student discount. When the next season of Mrs Maisel and Patriot drop, I'll drop a month of prime video, but other than that I can't really justify it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Rutibex posted:

the more people use amazon the shittier it will become. that is literally their business model. the good deals were only there to kill competitors

This is easily what scares me the most about Amazon. They can't loving wait to close the bear trap right on society's nutsack as soon as it makes sense to do so.

In a sense it's incredible that no one else has followed through on this style of corporate vision (pass along profits to customers for years and years until reaching critical mass and then dropping the guillotine when everyone is trapped).

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 1, 2018

NightshadeGenitals
Dec 28, 2017

Star maths and wishy thinking
Probably a good time to get out now before the price hike. They wanted to charge me shipping on a return the other day which I had never seen before so Amazon can suck it. :flip:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

NightshadeGenitals posted:

Probably a good time to get out now before the price hike. They wanted to charge me shipping on a return the other day which I had never seen before so Amazon can suck it. :flip:

amazon has charged for returns for several years at least, if you voluntarily return it with "I dont want it anymore" reason. you can use "item is wrong size/doesnt fit/damaged/etc" reason and it'll be free returns

naem
May 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Whatever brick and mortar stores survive the longest and still have a large enough footprint for people to, go there and buy stuff, will equalize its prices with Amazon™™© more or less

Walmart and Target and Costco and Amazone will still be places where you can buy the things, the physical stores will all be right across the street from each other

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

naem posted:

Whatever brick and mortar stores survive the longest and still have a large enough footprint for people to, go there and buy stuff, will equalize its prices with Amazon™™© more or less

Walmart and Target and Costco and Amazone will still be places where you can buy the things, the physical stores will all be right across the street from each other

Thank god my two favorite stores are Target and Costco... well and Apple, but they will be fine.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why does apple even need a store? they only sell like 4 different things

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

They have 5 or six phone models now. vOv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rutibex posted:

They’re pretty much there for customer service. So people have a place to take their hosed up products or for old people to get their questions answered.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 1, 2018