Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gaj posted:

Well if anything it looks like the clan population has been decreasing steadily in the bunk so the population of :dumbs: has gone down in the last 3 years.

Yeah, looks like Octavia is doing a good job in decreasing the grounder population and keeping them happy at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Acacia REI posted:

Giving the Grounders such a disproportionate representation in the bunker over Skaikru was a bad idea lmao

Having everyone survive in peace with such limited space and rations for 5 years was gonna be hard enough, even with leadership that was already experienced in managing and maintaining similar living situations (like on the Ark). Now it's been more than 5 years and I'm guessing most or all of those rations are gone. And I'm guessing the Grounder leaders did not choose their most intelligent and level-headed when deciding who their hundred survivors would be for each clan.

Octavia's heart was in the right place, but what she should have done after the Conclave was let ALL of Skaikru's 400 or so members have a spot, and divide the remaining 800 spots up among the 11 remaining clans. Skaikru still would have less than half the numbers of the grounders, but they would be far more unified. The Grounder clans barely got along before living in a cramped bunker, but with only 70ish members per clan, it would have been easier for the more united Skaikru to keep a lid on everything and everyone.

Octavia should have prioritized Skaikru more in the first place after winning the Enclave. I could see how she'd be upset at Clarke after finding out she and Skaikru took the bunker before finding out the winner, but quite frankly they deserved the space more and were better equipped to survive down there. :razz:

You only feel this way because you relate more to skaikru since they’re suppose to be “modern humans” so of course “your people” should get preferential treatment. gently caress those savages and barbarians am I right. I mean why should skaikru have gotten extra spots like you’re suggesting? No really, can you articulate why?

The list that Clark made prioritized people with useful skills. It was fair to give them 100 and no more and no less. If you start making exceptions that you really need 1 extra spot because this guy is a doctor, then you’ll have to start making exceptions for treekru needing 1 extra spot for their shaman, and ice nation needing 1 extra spot for their ice cube maker.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

You only feel this way because you relate more to skaikru since they’re suppose to be “modern humans” so of course “your people” should get preferential treatment. gently caress those savages and barbarians am I right. I mean why should skaikru have gotten extra spots like you’re suggesting? No really, can you articulate why?

The list that Clark made prioritized people with useful skills. It was fair to give them 100 and no more and no less. If you start making exceptions that you really need 1 extra spot because this guy is a doctor, then you’ll have to start making exceptions for treekru needing 1 extra spot for their shaman, and ice nation needing 1 extra spot for their ice cube maker.

Because they have actual worthwhile skills and understand how to maintain the bunker which will be critical to their survival for the next 5 years. So yea unironically gently caress the grounders. Or are you seriously suggesting they should kick a real doctor / engineer / technician out and let in one of their healers / builders because it's the same thing?

I could see the argument for going half skaikru half grounders since the grounders would have expertise on surviving after they got out, but sadly the prime fire wave killed everything so everyone is on the same footing. If anything, skaikru has a leg up here too since they have modern techniques for agriculture and irrigation.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Because they have actual worthwhile skills and understand how to maintain the bunker which will be critical to their survival for the next 5 years. So yea unironically gently caress the grounders. Or are you seriously suggesting they should kick a real doctor / engineer / technician out and let in one of their healers / builders because it's the same thing?

if a second string guard bro with no notable technical skills like miller was on clarke's list of 100 (and he was, since we see him pulled away in the second cull) then skaikru's doctors and engineers were already accounted for. next

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

No. I feel that way because they are less likely to start fights, and because Octavia was representing Skaikru in the Enclave, so her obligation was to keep Skaikru's best interest in mind.

zeal posted:

we are all grounders

real talk if there'd stayed 400 skaikru in the bunker, plus ~800 from the other 11 clans, there would've been an open civil war between skaikru and the rest long before it was even safe for the bunker to open. there would've been far too clear a demarcation between skaikru and everyone else

making skaikru's allotment proportionate to the the other clans was the only chance for the group sharing the bunker to avoid slaughtering each other outright. happily, it was also the most just choice

the sky rippa will be a leader beyond the dreams of the commanders
I don't think there would have been any kind of civil war. Octavia won fair and square and earned the bunker, and I think they would respect that. She did it their way, on their terms, and if I remember correctly most of the grounders adhere pretty strictly and consistently to their traditions. I'm sure there would have been a few dissenters but I don't think they'd be problematic enough to cause everyone to start fighting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zeal posted:

if a second string guard bro with no notable technical skills like miller was on clarke's list of 100 (and he was, since we see him pulled away in the second cull) then skaikru's doctors and engineers were already accounted for. next

You assume Clarke's list was infallible. She put loving Bellamy on it and he deserved to die.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys are falling into the most basic of moral traps here.

Why did Clarke ________?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys realize that Octavia's rule isn't going to last right? Because the second they dig that bunker out and the Grounders see loving WANHEDA they are gonna bow the gently caress down to the Commander of Death who lived through PRIMFYA.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

You guys realize that Octavia's rule isn't going to last right? Because the second they dig that bunker out and the Grounders see loving WANHEDA they are gonna bow the gently caress down to the Commander of Death who lived through PRIMFYA.

And her nightblood of the sith apprentice.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rhyno posted:

it's because this show inspires such amazing sentences as this that I love it so

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I didn't even consider how likely it is that the grounders are gonna poo poo themselves silly when they find out Clarke is alive :allears:

That's gonna be fantastic.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just have to comment on how stupid it was to to build a stupid useless huge building above the bunker gate

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of wish that the entire episode had just stuck with Clarke and not shown what was going on with everyone else just yet. It would have been fun to have the first three episodes go over what happened to each group individually over the time skip.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

muscles like this! posted:

I kind of wish that the entire episode had just stuck with Clarke and not shown what was going on with everyone else just yet. It would have been fun to have the first three episodes go over what happened to each group individually over the time skip.

I'll admit that'd have been nice but ending the episode on "By the way, Octavia went full Thunderdome down in this bitch" was a pretty solid way to end it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

muscles like this! posted:

Agreed, though with The 100 being a show with typically a 10 or 12 episode count I'm fine with them splitting the premiere between the way they rather than focusing the first three episodes on establishing the 3 groups and their lives during the skip. It was mostly Clarke, anyway, and that was good enough for me, though a full episode would have been great. I really hope the second episode does the same same and focuses mainly on the bunker before spliting off to show us what's happening on the surface.

e: also yeah that episode end was too good to give up imo

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Are the adults in the Bunker? Assuming so but I can't remember who went up into space and who stayed down.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah. The only people in space are the people we saw in the episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Acacia REI posted:

Octavia's heart was in the right place, but what she should have done after the Conclave was let ALL of Skaikru's 400 or so members have a spot, and divide the remaining 800 spots up among the 11 remaining clans. Skaikru still would have less than half the numbers of the grounders, but they would be far more unified. The Grounder clans barely got along before living in a cramped bunker, but with only 70ish members per clan, it would have been easier for the more united Skaikru to keep a lid on everything and everyone.

Octavia should have prioritized Skaikru more in the first place after winning the Enclave. I could see how she'd be upset at Clarke after finding out she and Skaikru took the bunker before finding out the winner, but quite frankly they deserved the space more and were better equipped to survive down there. :razz:

Counterpoint: "YOU ALL MADE ME LIVE IN THE FLOOR MY WHOLE CHILDHOOD!"

GobiasIndustries posted:

Are the adults in the Bunker? Assuming so but I can't remember who went up into space and who stayed down.

The best thing is that all the Commanders had the voices of the previous Commanders in their heads via Flame, and Octavia presumably has 3 of the last 4 Chancellors haunting her in The Bunker. :laugh:

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Astroman posted:

Counterpoint: "YOU ALL MADE ME LIVE IN THE FLOOR MY WHOLE CHILDHOOD!"
Under the circumstances, it was necessary. The "one child law" existed for a reason - limited space and resources. If they made an exception for Bel and O's mom (or anyone who'd done the same before her), they'd have had to do it for everyone, and it could would have accelerated their crisis. Someone who's about to re-enter similar circumstances as the leader should consider all of that.

That said, I understand Octavia is young, bitter, and suddenly in charge, so I don't dislike her for her decision, just gotta acknowledge it probably wasn't the smartest.

Astroman posted:

The best thing is that all the Commanders had the voices of the previous Commanders in their heads via Flame, and Octavia presumably has 3 of the last 4 Chancellors haunting her in The Bunker. :laugh:
fffffff I did not even think of that. LMAO.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Acacia REI posted:

Under the circumstances, it was necessary. The "one child law" existed for a reason - limited space and resources. If they made an exception for Bel and O's mom (or anyone who'd done the same before her), they'd have had to do it for everyone, and it could would have accelerated their crisis. Someone who's about to re-enter similar circumstances as the leader should consider all of that.

That said, I understand Octavia is young, bitter, and suddenly in charge, so I don't dislike her for her decision, just gotta acknowledge it probably wasn't the smartest.

fffffff I did not even think of that. LMAO.

Sky Ripper has been in charge for 6 years. She was working up to that for another 2 years.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How many people are there again in the bunker? The end scene of the first episode, three people got offed during the Thunderdome. Doesn't seem a sustainable hobby. Hope they turned cannibals to justify it somewhat.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Props to this show for using CHVRCHES as the first montage song

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
😢

Full on bunker episode tonight. Wasn’t expecting some of it for sure.

Combat Pretzel posted:

How many people are there again in the bunker? The end scene of the first episode, three people got offed during the Thunderdome. Doesn't seem a sustainable hobby. Hope they turned cannibals to justify it somewhat.

There are over 1200 by a comment made in tonight’s episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm still hoping that by the end of the bunker flashbacks everyone inside will be dead because Octavia is a terrible leader solves all disputes with trial by combat system, which seems really stupid.

Kara was right to take over the farm. Sure was a good thing she won the trial by combat or they would have been hosed without someone to operate the farm.

:rip: Jaha. Your wild ride is finally over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress Octavia.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm still hoping that by the end of the bunker flashbacks everyone inside will be dead because Octavia is a terrible leader solves all disputes with trial by combat system, which seems really stupid.

Kara was right to take over the farm. Sure was a good thing she won the trial by combat or they would have been hosed without someone to operate the farm.

:rip: Jaha. Your wild ride is finally over.

see new posts in the thread, don't realise new episode has aired, immediately get spoiled. thanks for using tags

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

see new posts in the thread, don't realise new episode has aired, immediately get spoiled. thanks for using tags

In a thread with this little activity that is a guarantee, you played yourself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Live posting rules. Juancru doesn't do spoilers.

I'm a big fan of Desmond being the new Spartacus.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Trial by combat would normally be pretty stupid as only big, strong people remain who need lots of food and all the smart, small people get killed off.

But if you have to face an army of murderers who landed on your planet to fight for the last usable land it can turn out to be a good choice. #skyripadidnothingwrong

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I know I say this every season, and I probably said it alrdy this season but I loving love this show.

Great episode in general, but I was not expecting Jaha to go so early. I figured his wild ride would end this year, but not in the second week lmao

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I know I say this every season, and I probably said it alrdy this season but I loving love this show.

Great episode in general, but I was not expecting Jaha to go so early. I figured his wild ride would end this year, but not in the second week lmao

Well it was 6 years ago...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

True....

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh I'm glad they didn't drag it out. Jaha's story felt complete to me by the end of last season. May we meet again!!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm always surprised by how handsome this show is. The lighting and production design are great, lots of bright lush colours and bold but simple set designs, and I think it's a significant part as to why the show's lasted as long as it has. The look the bunker has this year is great, it looks like Fallout got lost on the way to the nuclear apocalypse and wandered into

Another part of why I like the show is thanks to its willingness to make big swings, and then follow through on those swings. This Octavia is one the show's been building to for a long time, but I'd be genuinely surprised if she survives the season. She's basically a angling for supervillain right now. Not particularly smart of you, Octavia, sending the head botanist to her death to prevent food shortages. You're lucky said plant lady turned out to be really good at pit fighting.

(On the other hand, they seem to have changed their mind as to what they're doing with Abbey between seasons. She was way, way worse at the end of last year.)

Love seeing the return of so many of my fave characters too. And Kyra Zagorsky is always a good value to a show too -- I remember her being a fab last minute addition to Continuum as well, though, like Octavia, I also suspect she'll fail to last the season.

Oh and Jaha died. Eh.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 2, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
octavia is exactly the warrior empress wonkru needs

what she's accomplishing here is glorious, genuine cultural syncretism

she's ishtar embodied, right down to the dead tammuz-husband, founding an empire in the underworld, i can't get enough

may she feed those tech'd up old worlders from the gagarin their intestines, and the nightbloods too if they object

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Octavia is perfect. :black101:
Now i only need King Murphy of space station sarcasmo1 and the show may run forever.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That zooming out shot of the surviving Grounders bowing to blood-spattered Octavia standing in a pool of insubordinate blood was gorgeous. This show continues to wow me visually every season. It's really impressive.

Like last week, it's gonna be hard to wait for the next episode because I'm just so curious what's gonna happen next. Surprised that Jaha kicked it this early too. Murphy's probably gonna be bummed out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
a little disappointed to see Jaha go, but honestly somebody should've knifed him over the whole 'becoming the prophet of robot apocalypse' thing a long time ago

his last act definitely saved the survivors of skaikru from kara's cowardice and treachery tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno posted:

Same.

I saw the preview last week so I already knew there was gonna be a gladiator scene so I was waiting for it the whole episode. I just didn’t think that Octavia was gonna do that.

• Locked thread