Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

yes, it's good that all those lovely flash based web apps have been replaced by lightweight, secure, languages like javascript

flash was undoubtedly lovely but that wasn't why stebe killed it originally

why did you say he kill it again? simply out of spite for adobe releasing lovely software that crashed and hosed mac users? i say gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he killed it because adobe stopped targeting mac as their primary platform, on account of approximately no one buying macs or mac applications for the entire previous decade

steve was salty as gently caress

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

yes, it's good that all those lovely flash based web apps have been replaced by lightweight, secure, languages like javascript

yeah, javascript has become pretty good recently.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
html/javascript and flash are the same thing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

html/javascript and flash are the same thing

I think you mean flash and silverlight

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no Silverlight was wpf. flash was litterrally javascript.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I use flash to mine bitcoin

coke
Jul 12, 2009

eh, i literally was going to use battery saving mode 24/7 when it came out with iphone 7 but i encountered weird freeze and whatever even with stock apps so i haven't tried that again

already have background app refresh disabled and all so there wont be that much of a difference anyway besides limiting the amount of cores or throttling down

Jimmy Carter posted:

just use Ubiquiti APs. I put 2 in my parents' place, I have literally never heard anything from my parents about wifi since. The only issues logged when I went back a year later were that they lost power a couple of times, but that was the breakers for the house being pulled to replace the fire hazard that was the Federal Pacific circuit breakers

lol besides randomly tripping if you looked at those breakers wrong, the main wire coming in will literally melt the breaker next to it overtime and cause a short

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

no Silverlight was wpf. flash was litterrally javascript.

silverlight was almost good

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

echinopsis posted:

i have idk what it is. a cable

and my aSSus router delivers 5g to my ipad everywhere in my house

god I love my new ipad. but there are some very hosed things

there is not really a normal place to just have files on the ipad. I wante dot piut some movies on for a upcoming holiday BUT itunes being the worthless sak of poo poo its always been, couldnt transfer the videos

SO

I found a method to copy the videos into the "files" app basically.. BUT the files app isn';t like a file system browser and you cant create a folder for files.. files have to be saved "into" an app, so lol all my videos are "in" pages :rolleyes:

and come on when are they going to give more flexibility with icon positioning etc.

like I HATE janitoring my app icons but its incredibly lame iOS comes default with apps you NEVER use BUT then puts them on the first page which the home button takes you to. it takes minutes to move all that worthless poo poo to the next page and put the stuff you actually use ther.. BUT why isn't that default?

oh and you deleted an app? good now your muscle memory has to change becayuse everything else moved too

and on the ipad... they reorder when you orientate change? gently caress thats poo poo

just let us do it android style and put something somewhere and it stays there until YOU move it.

you can create any hierarchy of folders that you want to in files you shouldn’t have to be saving things to your Pages app folder hth

edit: actually no you can’t lol not in the “On My Device” section, folders only work for iCloud Drive or w/e other cloud storage provider you have installed

GenJoe fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 30, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
protip: folders are not the way files were meant to be interacted with in ios and any method of doing so will be an awful hack

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that vendetta was nuts but boy am i grateful for the demise of flash

the death of flash is very protracted and i am glad of it

i wish pdf would go that way as well but that may be too much to ask

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

protip: folders are not the way files were meant to be interacted with in ios and any method of doing so will be an awful hack

Makes sense since folders were first available only on the cydia store

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

I have an IATA fares pdf that requires flash for certain sections

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

syscall girl posted:

to be replaced by what? :s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dodoman posted:

*chokes on gum*

heh, that's cool

*rear end in a top hat tightens*

good deal

extremely my poo poo

*doubles over*

oh hey there's a new rcr on the mitsubishi mirage, gotta go m8

aaaaaaaaaaaa

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dodoman posted:

:shepface:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

my wife bought me air Poss against my will and they’re alright. I look even dumber with them in though

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

they definitely sound better than the wired pods

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i suppose they'd better, because they make you look like an absolute tool

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

for some reason the little bit sticking out on airpods always makes me think of dry pasta

lil bucatini ears

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I made a Bootcamp partition or whatever and installed Windows 10 on my secondary Mac and uhhh....:stonk:

I don't know, feels kind of lovely. I miss Windows XP.

win10 is bad. i hate it.

win 8.1u1 was the best iteration post win7

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

graph posted:

win10 is bad. i hate it.

win 8.1u1 was the best iteration post win7

maybe you could try ios graph

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

stebe had a lot of unreasonable vendettas

the no-flash-on-apple thing started because adobe changed their primary platform target from mac os to windows sometime in the early 2000s cause literally no one was buying macs so they were making no money focusing their efforts there. so stebe hit the roof and no adobe products demoed in the next macworld keynote and history wrote itself

lol no. stebe hated adobe for many reasons, going back to the font wars. but excluding flash was a well considered platform decision.

flash was and remains poo poo, we all know that. adobe did a terrible job maintaining it from a security and performance perspective. it was a huge power hog. and adobe’s lack of maintenance had already been a serious problem for macOS compatibility (64 bit flash player?). running flash would have made it the default media player in safari, just like it was in the desktop at the time. it would have left Apple updates dependent on adobe updating their poo poo, which took forever (see also: photoshop). browser flash was garbage with a touch interface, and the morons that thought they could just use their desktop flash applets with it instead of making a desktop site were wrong.

the android phones that ran flash showed this to be the correct decision. it was a usability disaster and failed miserably.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
otoh, flash from 2005 runs better than js from 2015

what a tragedy it would be to lose all those stickman fight scenes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
tbf to adobe, Apple was touting 64 bit carbon for a full year before pulling the rug out in a surprise wwdc announcement

stebe was right to deny flash on ios tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
looks like apple is managing to crack the indian market

quote:

Apple grew 44% in India, generating half the revenues but 10x the profits of Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo in FY 2017

Apple's Fiscal Year 2017 (ending in March) revenues in India grew YoY by 17 percent and its profits in the subcontinent grew by 44 percent, despite intense competition from Samsung and a series of Chinese makers working to flood the emerging nation with cheap smartphones.

That data, published in India Times by Writankar Mukherjee, comes from a Registrar of Companies regulatory filing by Apple. Now that growth in the massive Chinese market is beginning to contract, new focus is being given to India as a rapidly growing new market for phones with vast potential.

Apple's strategy in India appears to parallel its basic game plan for the U.S. and China: a focus on sustainable profitability with premium products. At the same time, the company has pursued efforts to make its products more affordable, including an initiative to sell remanufactured phones in the country--a plan that was challenged by the government. "Rather than pulling its profits out of India, Apple is reinvesting its returns "for further expansion of local operations""

As with China, Apple's total unit share of sales in India is falling as cheap models flood the market. However, an influx of low-priced smartphones hasn't stopped Apple from growing or profiting from its operations in India.

In January, the Indian government granted a waiver for five years on its taxation and sourcing laws that require "single-brand retailers" that are foreign owned to meet a 30 percent sourcing requirement for goods sold. Apple is now reportedly hoping to build flagship retail stores in New Delhi, Bangalore, and Mumbai.

Apple also started assembly of iPhone SE models at a Wistron facility in Karnataka, India, that has reportedly also started building more affordable iPhone 6s models as well.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...oppo-in-fy-2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in retrospect denying flash was good for many reasons, but it really is pretty clear that apple threw it out not because it was bad, but because they feared it would be good

adobe was, and recognized that they were, in an excellent position to own the rich application toolkit/infrastructure of choice across web, desktop and mobile at that moment. they even took a lot of the right actions. it just turns out their engineering team was clownshoes incompetent and couldn't implement a button without a thousand security holes and wonky performance

apple didn't even let programming learning toys for kids onto the iphone for a long time, they were very set on making the way software was delivered a known controllable process

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

see: every adobe air application ever made

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

you can't make me

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in retrospect denying flash was good for many reasons, but it really is pretty clear that apple threw it out not because it was bad, but because they feared it would be good

are you loving kidding me? as everyone has said flash was hammered dogshit that apple didn't want anywhere near its devices anymore.

plus it was an accessibility nightmare with no real answer for making it remotely useful for screen readers etc. good riddance

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

today i learned: people still defend flash.

also, apple did bundle flash with safari and really made an honest effort to support it, but it was just a crashy security risk and the writing was on the wall when adobe refused to make it work any better

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

are you loving kidding me? as everyone has said flash was hammered dogshit that apple didn't want anywhere near its devices anymore.

plus it was an accessibility nightmare with no real answer for making it remotely useful for screen readers etc. good riddance

o-oh, i didn't realize *everyone* was saying. -1 flamebait here i come i guess v:shobon:v

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

beatport 2.0 was great imo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

otoh, flash from 2005 runs better than js from 2015

what a tragedy it would be to lose all those stickman fight scenes

weren't those in shockwave

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

o-oh, i didn't realize *everyone* was saying. -1 flamebait here i come i guess v:shobon:v

it just confuses me me that someone would say that apple killed flash for being too good lmao

i even sorta get sagebrush's thing about apple firing back at adobe for making macos a secondary target for apps, because that still implies that adobe was pumping out second rate junk for apple devices..

but claiming that flash was "too good" has to be a troll

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

it just confuses me me that someone would say that apple killed flash for being too good lmao

i even sorta get sagebrush's thing about apple firing back at adobe for making macos a secondary target for apps, because that still implies that adobe was pumping out second rate junk for apple devices..

but claiming that flash was "too good" has to be a troll

you are misreading the post a bit, i am saying they *feared* that it would become a competitive platform. in retrospect it was thoroughly bungled, but it really was more engineering incompetence than necessity that kept flash from becoming some electron-like baseline everyone targeted by default to get platform reach

i am certainly *not* saying that that would have happened if apple let them into the iphone either, but being on the iphone combined with the effort not being obviously bungled would likely have done it

air and flex and so on was not bad strategy either, just badly executed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

adobe AIR was at least as good as the pile of steaming horseshit that is javascript

it drives me loving insane that apple has apparently tried to get rid of the folder concept in mac os in favor of some garbage fire pile o' files where you just search for whatever document you need or something

me, attempting to help a student install an arduino library on their macbook: "okay, open your user folder"
every student every time: "i don't know what that is"

i don't even know how to open a finder window that shows the root level of your hard drive any more

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

command-shift-G "/" or just keep hitting command-up until it stops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but yeah, "all my files" is not great if you have a need to do anything specific with the file system. the good news is, if you're using OSX, you don't