Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

But they could have done it in so many other ways. Like others said, they could have broken up the scene to imply the passage of time, rather than literally watching the projectiles cross the inner solar system in 15 seconds. Or they could have said that the Mars ships had managed to sneak inside of Luna's orbit. Breaking the laws of physics doesn't add anything to the story either, so why do it?
Alright, I rewatched the scene. They do have cuts between war room scenes. They show the missiles flying during those cuts, but the way it's portrayed hours could pass between the key events. The only blatant inaccuracy is one brief shot where you can see the graphic of the missiles moving way too fast. That's it in terms of breaking physics, if you want to get pedantic. If if bothers you that much, get annoyed at that one graphical error rather than pretending Earth has FTL railguns.

As for what it adds- a sense of tension that they would not have been able to maintain if you cut to other stuff happening between missile scenes. All the people in that room were going to be on the edge of their seat, worried out of their minds about the lives in the balance for the entirety of that operation. If you want the audience to experience that, you can't cut to the crew of the Rocinante farting around, or Anna skyping her kid. You'd have to stay in that room and give the audience a taste of how long a time is passing and how helpless everyone is... and that would indeed be interesting, but it would necessarily take a long time. It was a drat good scene, but I'd really rather get the gist of it (as we very neatly did) and get on with it's implications and other story events.

Rewatching that scene, even with an eye for pedantry and knowing exactly how it goes down... it's incredibly tense! The quick wordless reaction shots of the General Secretary and Errenwright are really evocative. It gives you the experience of these people having made a decision and being helpless to do anything but accept the consequences at this point. It's a pretty great scene! It would be a shame to let pedantry ruin that for you.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ooh yeah that preview looked cool and it's definitely not something I remember from the books, could be really fun! I'm totally up for a completely original character to come in and mix things up too, if it's done well.

It serves a practical purpose too for the Roci's needs, should be fun. Shades of Julie Mao's situation way back in the premiere too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

If you really want to nitpick, it sure was a good thing that Earth had exactly as many planetary railguns as Mars had stealth missile ships :v:

The railgun sequence was good

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
This episode was amazing. I was literally talking out loud at my tv, begging Cortyar not to do it from the moment he told Theo to close his eyes, and that slow burn of Mao acting like a real human being and that doctor cheerfully being a monstrous sociopath back at him so reassuringly was incredible.

:unsmith: "It's good that the children can play together."
:v: "Yes sir, it increases their cortisol levels, which lets us turn them into mindless monsters more easily!"
:chloe: "....."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, that was pretty cool. Im guessing the doctor will rebel and refuse to dismantle the project and that will lead to some kind of containment failure (or intentional leakage)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

double nine posted:

she went through a bunch of different varieties of snickering as Avasarala tested her new dancing shoes and it was hilarious.

I like how she had a meltdown after the trolling Amos did by changing the MCRN logo

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the evil scientist doctor also plays the sycophant evil commander in Killjoys, and he's just as sophisticated/posh & evil here. Guy's got a niche is what I'm saying.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

double nine posted:

Guy's got a niche is what I'm saying.

It suits him well

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

etalian posted:

I like how she had a meltdown after the trolling Amos did by changing the MCRN logo

"Do you think that's funny!?"

"Well...not right now..."

God I need this show to be renewed so we can get more Amos... :swoon:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm glad that they actually had a city get nuked. It makes the stakes very tangibly real--you can talk about losing 40% of your fleet, but watching a part of South America just disappear really hammers home that oh poo poo, there's a war going on

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

"Do you think that's funny!?"

"Well...not right now..."

God I need this show to be renewed so we can get more Amos... :swoon:

I loved her angry face when she saw the defaced logo.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

404notfound posted:

I'm glad that they actually had a city get nuked. It makes the stakes very tangibly real--you can talk about losing 40% of your fleet, but watching a part of South America just disappear really hammers home that oh poo poo, there's a war going on

Well, and nobody has really mentioned the fallout probably ruining the Amazon Rain Forest and all of the good that will do for Earth's ecology and atmosphere...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

As if there's any rainforest left to ruin anyways on the hell-Earth with 30 billion people and like 40 feet of sea level rise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Well, and nobody has really mentioned the fallout probably ruining the Amazon Rain Forest and all of the good that will do for Earth's ecology and atmosphere...

Fallout hurts humans more than it hurts wildlife.

If anything it will be a boon for the area by forcing humans to live elsewhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope they go into how the people of Earth react to it. From their perspective, Mars launched a first strike against Earth. They have no idea that the UN fired rail guns against the Mars platforms. It would be interesting to see how the secretary general or whoever tries to explain that it's not a big deal and they aren't going to retaliate by leveling Mars.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Martian losses: some weapons of mass destruction

Terran losses: two million human lives and counting

Even though the UN precipitated the launch in an entirely foreseeable manner, Mars still comes out looking like the bad guys.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Platystemon posted:

Even though the UN precipitated the launch in an entirely foreseeable manner, Mars still comes out looking like the bad guys.

I definitely assumed that was part of the "backup" plan. I don't think the Earth getting hit with a nuke was intentional, but it had to be a consideration and the backup plan was to use it to further justify the war against Mars.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If its not the GenSec, Errinwright will sure as hell push for that. He also straight up threatened Anna, who I hope isn't as naiive as she seems, so she can fire back.

Though I'm sure they're going to be the devil and angel on the GenSecs shoulders.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does anyone know anything about the human habitat on titania or is that too book centric? It's a total dead-end on the wiki, so I don't think it's got any bearing on the main storyline.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They mention at some point the stations out at Uranus and Neptune are little science bases, like Antarctic stations. Saturn is the furthest that real settlement has gone.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grand Fromage posted:

They mention at some point the stations out at Uranus and Neptune are little science bases, like Antarctic stations. Saturn is the furthest that real settlement has gone.

Yeah that's what I meant. I haven't read the book but I get the impression that they're just mentioned in passing. I was wondering about how they're portrayed. That's an awfully long way away from anything so I was wondering if they had some measure of self-sufficiency, if they were all just single adults doing research or if there were families there, stuff like that. Just more world building poo poo.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

JossiRossi posted:

I definitely assumed that was part of the "backup" plan. I don't think the Earth getting hit with a nuke was intentional, but it had to be a consideration and the backup plan was to use it to further justify the war against Mars.

Yeah, I don't know if the GenSec is playing on that level, but Errinwright is definitely playing by "If it goes to plan great, if it doesn't well I'll feel bad for a literal minute even if it is my fault entirely, then start planning on how to use this to get everyone even more on board with the war on Mars." Until this episode I wasn't really respecting his political savvy, but he's earning his name as "Avasarala without any morals and totally willing to kill anyone he thinks he has to." I love how Avasarala on the other side is always trying to inspire people and deal in good faith, but at the same time while she might not have ordered it I get the vibe that she's not gonna lose any sleep when she hears about things like what went down on the dropship.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah that's what I meant. I haven't read the book but I get the impression that they're just mentioned in passing. I was wondering about how they're portrayed. That's an awfully long way away from anything so I was wondering if they had some measure of self-sufficiency, if they were all just single adults doing research or if there were families there, stuff like that. Just more world building poo poo.

I don't believe the books ever go into the Uranus/Neptune bases other than briefly mentioning they exist. Even with Epstein drives, Neptune's quite a haul.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope the last scene of this show is someone on a science station around Neptune trying to radio back to Earth and there's nothing because Earth and Mars nuked each other back to the stone age.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

I hope the last scene of this show is someone on a science station around Neptune trying to radio back to Earth and there's nothing because Earth and Mars nuked each other back to the stone age.

Isn't this a Tomb World special event in Stellaris?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

Don't forget, they lost Deimos last season, the bits of that coming down on colony domes isn't going to be a time of joy

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

R-Type posted:

Don't forget, they lost Deimos last season, the bits of that coming down on colony domes isn't going to be a time of joy

Like, a dozen people died on Deimos and they were all MCRN. I'm not condoning the Deimos strike, but that is not comparable to dropping a nuke on a large civilian population.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I mean, Earth must come first, amirite?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

R-Type posted:

Deimos' remains formed a feint ring, orbits don't work like that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

R-Type posted:

It was a Martian 9/11

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I assumed that Martian nuke launch was just automated. Once it detects incoming weapons it just launches everything.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it still blows my mind the destructive capacity Mars had over Earth with those platforms. one missile could score a hit on a city, and if Mars wanted to they could've launched all of them and turned Earth into a desolate hunk of rock

I'm guessing Earth keeps Mars in check by having better or more warheads generally? it seems weird if Mars was running around with the bigger stockpile

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Earth also has a massive nuclear missile stockpile. They fired a bunch at Eros and Fred Johnson hijacked some. They're mostly surface based IIRC, maybe on the moon too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Deimos' remains formed a feint ring, orbits don't work like that

Stable orbits don't. A massive explosion imparts new velocity vectors, and all it takes is a little nudge to degrade an orbit and set it on a reentry trajectory. If it was in Earth orbit, I'd say they'd probably burn up in the atmosphere, but Mars doesn't really have much of that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wow the wiki says the moon's got a population of a cool billion.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow the wiki says the moon's got a population of a cool billion.

pfft, lightweights.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

For the spoiler avoiders, don't go to the wiki. There's pretty big ones just right up front.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

it still blows my mind the destructive capacity Mars had over Earth with those platforms
The general idea is anything at the wrong end of a gravity well is in permanent danger of falling rocks. The nukes may be there in part to be more selective, not more destructive ...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

For the spoiler avoiders, don't go to the wiki. There's pretty big ones just right up front.

Well, sure. But I don't think talking the population of the moon is going to spoil anything about the actual show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well, sure. But I don't think talking the population of the moon is going to spoil anything about the actual show.

I wasn't replying to you, just a general warning after I went there to check something out and saw what sort of stuff is on the front page.