Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Hello Old Friend"

I admit even though I suspected this would happen it was still loving awesome. It's crazy how I probably am only halfway through the game and now there's even more poo poo to master.

It's been jarring to hear all these horrific Thor stories in the wake of a new Avengers movie lol. I forget just how brutal the Aesir stories are in classical interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not done so this is halfway between story and speculation but around 2/3 through:

Am I crazy or did they lay it on a bit too thick with the Kratos and Tyr are the same person, only they're not, because Norse mythology has time travel and paradoxes and :catdrugs:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Story time with Kratos is kind of amazing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Nigulus Rex posted:

So I just traveled to the first realm alfheim as part of the main story. I did all the lake stuff I could before this and I have so much xp the game is yelling at me to spend it. I have the axe frost melee poo poo and the first two precision axe throws, Atreus maxed, parry, and I leveled two items once each. I don’t really have anything I want to spend on at the moment. Is there any reason to spend or not spend? I was hoping to get the magic poo poo for Atreus to unlock or whatever those skills are but I’m pretty early main story I think.

The game lets you max out your skill trees without too much fuss, but also remember that each rune skill can be leveled twice. In general, the only thing I'd tell you is that you might want to hold off upgrading runes you don't think you'll use and you should be fine. I mean, you'll be fine either way, but holding off upgrading everything just for its own sake will let you upgrade the stuff you actually like a lot faster.

Monolith. posted:

I really wish you could replay the boat conversations from them menu. They're really great.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 30, 2018

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I cleared all the side stuff and maxed out all the skills and runic attacks and ended the game with >200k xp

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Monolith. posted:

"There was once a man. Some thought him a God. He was tasked with traveling to a mountain. Instead, he made the mountain come to him."
"...okay... what's that mean, Father?"
"Gods are assholes, BOY."

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
When do my fast travel doors start becoming traversable?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Monolith. posted:

I'd say about halfway into the game or so? It's part of the story.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

M not sure what I’m supposed to be doing in Niflheim other than getting mist here. Is the end goal just getting to the valk?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

im greatly appreciating the addition of kooky uncle mimir to he father and son road trip

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

M not sure what I’m supposed to be doing in Niflheim other than getting mist here. Is the end goal just getting to the valk?

Nilfhiem is a neverending loot chest for upgrades, with a side benefit of nearly-the-best-but-not-quite gear that you can farm trash mobs for if the Valks are giving you trouble. Beyond that, the only thing you get is a gold cheevo for unlocking all the loot in the center room.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Agean90 posted:

im greatly appreciating the addition of kooky uncle mimir to he father and son road trip

It just keeps getting better, my man.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

+ The end goal is unlocking the three realm tears in the center and killing all the monsters. You'll need an anchor of fog + 10000/20000 mist for each one.

+ If you unlock all the tears and open all of the chests in the center, you get a gold trophy.

+ Anchors of fog usually only spawn in the special side areas – the one where the Valkyrie is, and an identical one on the other side. They randomly appear in the gold chests.

+ Killing the valkyrie is obviously necessary for the valkyrie trophy. Unlike everything else in the area, she doesn't respawn.

+ There are some good items in the center chests, even if they're optional. Most importantly, one of them has a special trading material. You can trade it in at the shop for the final axe upgrade after you finish the main story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Monolith. posted:

If you mean when do they become 2-way, about 2/3 through the main plot (which can feel like very far into the game if you've been doing all the sidequests).

I wouldn't really recommend anyone rush to that point because even if you do all the sidequests you can before that, you still won't really be powerful enough to go fighting Valkyries or anything and going back for chests isn't something you need to prioritize either. They did a really good job at gradually making the game more and more open and accessible to the player I feel. (And I'm still not even done, I should probably actually play some tonight)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://i.imgur.com/xZRXIJB.gifv

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

+ The end goal is unlocking the three realm tears in the center and killing all the monsters. You'll need an anchor of fog + 10000/20000 mist for each one.

+ If you unlock all the tears and open all of the chests in the center, you get a gold trophy.

+ Anchors of fog usually only spawn in the special side areas – the one where the Valkyrie is, and an identical one on the other side. They randomly appear in the gold chests.

+ Killing the valkyrie is obviously necessary for the valkyrie trophy. Unlike everything else in the area, she doesn't respawn.

+ There are some good items in the center chests, even if they're optional. Most importantly, one of them has a special trading material. You can trade it in at the shop for the final axe upgrade after you finish the main story.

Sweet thanks. Where is the anchor of fog in the shop? I couldn't find anything related to that quest aside from the Talisman that extends time a bit.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Of course he's jamming it out to this playlist: https://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-songs-with-boy-in-the-title/ranker-music

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hey what was up with Atreus picking up that rune and having his body covered in runes? Immediately after that is when he starts acting like a little poo poo so I figured maybe he got cursed or possessed or something but they never acknowledge it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I always imagined Kratos as a Nu Metal fan with that goatee and the bad tribal tattoos, but I suppose he's hit his beardy woodworking/organic market phase at this point. He's still kind of a lame rear end so I'd guess he's jamming to Lumineers or Imagine Dragons or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Hey what was up with Atreus picking up that rune and having his body covered in runes? Immediately after that is when he starts acting like a little poo poo so I figured maybe he got cursed or possessed or something but they never acknowledge it.

Puberty Rune

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

veni veni veni posted:

I always imagined Kratos as a Nu Metal fan with that goatee and the bad tribal tattoos, but I suppose he's hit his beardy woodworking/organic market phase at this point. He's still kind of a lame rear end so I'd guess he's jamming to Lumineers or Imagine Dragons or something.

Kratos 100% enjoys Creedence and uses his divine powers to visit with John Fogerty in his sleep.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm that gif he's jamming out to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1FifK3bbg

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Sweet thanks. Where is the anchor of fog in the shop? I couldn't find anything related to that quest aside from the Talisman that extends time a bit.

There are no Anchors of Fog in the shop. You have to get them from random gold chests in the fog, in the side areas (Valkyrie area and opposite side).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I beat the game tonight and I have to get some stuff off my chest!

I call bullshit on 2 things.
1: I thought I'd get a peak inside all 9 realms but here we are only getting half-ish. I have to assume this is just so they can stick with proper mythology but something felt real gross about being given the option to choose 4 other realms despite not actually being granted entrance to them.
2: The actual ending, where you go home to sleep. Um. What? "Years later" it says but nobody has aged at all, ya'll wearing the same armor, and Ragnarok was supposed to start like exactly 3 years after you fell asleep and typically the tone of a "years later" phrase doesn't mean 2 or 3 years. And it took "years" for Thor to get mad at you? This scene feels like it was patched in just so they had somewhere to put the credits.
Edit: Wait my credits just ended and they basically confirmed that "years later" means 3 years. Ehhhhhhhhhhh........

Other thoughts!
When I was riding Jotenheim's magical room through the realms, Artreus says "Smells like Nifelheim" despite the fact I still didn't have the 4th translation stone and thus actually hadn't visited Nifelheim, let alone unlocked that realm. Whoops, writers. Whoops.
I did, however, get to Lavaland real early and fought enough to get the nice full armor set which kinda made almost all other armor pointless until the near end of the game. I guess that's on me and my playstyle but it kinda felt like maybe they set that stuff up wrong to let you just grab the second-most-powerful set in the game that early on and not provide any ways of improving it outside of just getting further into the Lavaland hole. I didn't even unlock Nifelheim until the final questline and will only bother with that realm if I get the itch to finish off the Valkyries.
Who else loved Dickie Bennett from Justified playing the role of Baldur? I wish there was more of him in the 2nd and 3rd quarter of the game. There was not enough of him to even make it feel like he was gonna be the game's big bad.
I wish my world snake would come back. I liked the landscape better when he was draped all over it.
So if Artreus is Loki, does that mean Kratos is not the father? I guess in Marvel, he's Odin's son, but in actual Norse lore, he's the son of Fárbauti, which I don't think is a name thrown around anywhere in the game so maybe that's Kratos?

In any case, I'm looking forward to 2 more games of God killing with Thor then Odin as the next 2 big bads followed by Egypt for the trilogy after that. Chinese, Mayan, and Christianity can all wait their turn.

Edit: The dark elf king saying we made a huge mistake... I assume he's saying we started Ragnarok early? Kinda wish that one got wrapped up instead of just being "oh he's a dying king of course he'd say that."

Jove posted:

Regarding the Shattered Gauntlet of Ages Epic Talisman, in case anyone hasn't posted it yet...

Once you fully upgrade it to have three enchantment slots, slot in andvari's soul, njord's temporal mind, asgard's shard of existence, muspelheim's eye of power, and/or the eye of the outer realm (any three of the five will do) to turn the Talisman into a mini-Infinity Gauntlet that shoots projectiles!
Holy poo poo I was wondering about this. Thanks for the tip!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 30, 2018

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Isn't Bayonetta already just Christianity God of War?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Scholtz posted:

Isn't Bayonetta already just Christianity God of War?

p much

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's a shame you can't replay that Kill 100 bad guys gauntlet in muscleheim since I'd love to just style on dudes over and over without any special gimmicks.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

It's a shame you can't replay that Kill 100 bad guys gauntlet in muscleheim since I'd love to just style on dudes over and over without any special gimmicks.

Should release all 100 at once.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jove posted:

Regarding the Shattered Gauntlet of Ages Epic Talisman, in case anyone hasn't posted it yet...

Once you fully upgrade it to have three enchantment slots, slot in andvari's soul, njord's temporal mind, asgard's shard of existence, muspelheim's eye of power, and/or the eye of the outer realm (any three of the five will do) to turn the Talisman into a mini-Infinity Gauntlet that shoots projectiles!

I just discovered that this morning, it owns. Wish I knew this prior to killing all the valkyries since it does crazy single target damage.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If I have a legendary crafting material that says for example, "used to upgrade pommels with shock damage effects". Is it safe to use that on the legendary pommel I have or are there multiple pommels that use it?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 30, 2018

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks

DaveKap posted:

So if Artreus is Loki, does that mean Kratos is not the father? I guess in Marvel, he's Odin's son, but in actual Norse lore, he's the son of Fárbauti, which I don't think is a name thrown around anywhere in the game so maybe that's Kratos?

I believe someone translated the Nordic runes used in the game and in the mural room in Jotunheim the pictures of Kratos are labeled as Fárbauti.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

The Skeep posted:

I believe someone translated the Nordic runes used in the game and in the mural room in Jotunheim the pictures of Kratos are labeled as Fárbauti.

Also Atreus's mother is Laufey, wife of Farbauti

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

If I have a legendary crafting material that says for example, "used to upgrade pommels with shock damage effects". Is it safe to use that on the legendary pommel I have or are there multiple pommels that use it?

All unique crafting mats that you can’t just loot from a chest or get in muscleheim/nippleheim have exactly as many applications as there are mats of that type in the world, so you’ll never be locked out from fully upgrading a piece of gear.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
niflheim is pure cancer

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kawabata posted:

niflheim is pure cancer

Are you playing on gmgow or something? I was doing laps in under an hour.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

JBP posted:

Are you playing on gmgow or something? I was doing laps in under an hour.

Yeah. And on gmgow you might just want to restart your lap if you find wulvers + the dark elf douchebag in the second room.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Also I've done something like 7 full laps and I've never found the Valk or the special items for the tears so clearly there's something I'm doing wrong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wolvar and Dark Elves get super owned by that heavy runic that leaves a huge frost patch on the ground, wish I discovered that one sooner.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Aaaand I found the valk, but even with a full Ivaldi, the mists killed me while I was about to finish her! Good stuff, game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think you’re doing it wrong if the mists killed you with full Ivaldi. She should be clearly marked on your map, you only need to clear two monster rooms to get to her.