Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

WebDog posted:

There's a fun one in Australia where a company called BNRenewals scrapes ABN (Aussie business numbers) renewal dates then sends out a letter claiming to be a service that renews your account.
You used to get a lot of similar scams regarding domain names, where some registrars will try to hijack your domain by sending you a letter that looks like a renewal invoice, but if you read the fine print it's actually a transfer agreement.

Most of them just try to make themselves the registrar, meaning you still own your domain and it will continue to work but now you're likely paying five times more than necessary for your renewals. With some of them you're actually signing over ownership of the domain to the scammer though.

It's become less of a problem with most registrars no longer making complete contact information public through the WhoIs system, but still happens occasionally.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

peanut posted:

My mom's card info was stolen... the bank called her about a suspicious ATM withdrawal. How the heck are they making fake cards that work in ATMs? What does the IC chip do anyway?

There was just a secret service alert about this today, someone's intercepting brand new cards in the mail to the user, then stealing the chip and switching it for a fake one. Real chip goes into generic fake card, real card with now fake chip goes to you, and they siphon all your cash as soon as you activate the card.

Sounded like they think it's an inside job at the post office

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

There was just a secret service alert about this today, someone's intercepting brand new cards in the mail to the user, then stealing the chip and switching it for a fake one. Real chip goes into generic fake card, real card with now fake chip goes to you, and they siphon all your cash as soon as you activate the card.

Whoa. Delaminating a card to remove the ic intact is kind of hard. This is either pretty sophisticated or there's something else going on.

Edit This article has pictures. They're not delaminating the card and the alterations are detectable.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 6, 2018

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i just got an activation code texted to me for something called 'sipmobile' - it's apparently an app of some kind for international calling?

needless to say, i didn't sign up for it, and none of the email addresses i use reference sipmobile (or seem compromised at all). how worried should i be, especially considering their activation code never got to them? unless my phone is being monitored, which would be very weird to me and seems like a lot of sophistication to use my phone number for a VoIP account

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most likely someone just typed their cell number incorrectly into the site.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone used my email by accident to sign up for a paid subscription to ufc.tv.

Too bad I don't care about fighting sports.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I think I may have been scammed.

I'm looking for a roommate situation in a new apartment. I found a place that looks good, rent is in my budget, the roommate seems nice, etc. I put down a deposit over the weekend and we wrote a hand-written receipt (EDIT: To be clear, I visited the apartment in person). It's pretty vague, just gives the dates and the amount with our signatures. At the very least I figure it demonstrates that some money changed hands. Was not concerned about a scam because I know her full name and address.

I checked to see if the ad was still up because I wanted to show a friend, as usually people delay a bit in removing their craigslist ads. I found the ad.. posted fresh this morning. I emailed anonymously to ask if the room is still available and the reply was Yes.

I think what I will do is call her from a different phone number tomorrow, ostensibly to ask about some detail in the apartment, and then I will mention that the ad is still up and see what she says. If she gives a weird answer I'll ask for the deposit back? Not really sure how to proceed.

Radio du Cambodge fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 11, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Craigslist scammers re-use legit ads all the time. It's probably good to check up like you're planning but it might not even be the same people posting the new ad

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I think what I will do is call her from a different phone number tomorrow, ostensibly to ask about some detail in the apartment, and then I will mention that the ad is still up and see what she says. If she gives a weird answer I'll ask for the deposit back? Not really sure how to proceed.

Cancel the check and report the transaction as fradulent to the bank, institute a chargeback. Save ads as evidence.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

shame on an IGA posted:

the culprit of this would wind up in the deepest, darkest Postal Oubliette

don't gently caress with the Postal Service, Postal Inspectors are terrifying

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the culprit of this would wind up in the deepest, darkest Postal Oubliette

don't gently caress with the Postal Service, Postal Inspectors are terrifying

You and I both know the correct distance to maintain from federal law enforcement's most overcompensating agency (A continent, minimum), but some don't or they wouldn't exist.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Can anybody explain to me how ticket scalpers work? Not stubhub which is its own kind of scam, but the dudes hanging out in front of every baseball game I've ever been to. I know that they buy low and sell high but I've always thought there must be something more to it. Sure it makes sense when it's a sold out game and people are willing to pay over face for tickets, but I've sold extras to these guys after the game has already started and the stadium is less than a quarter full. They never give me more than $10 for a $30 ticket, but they already have a stack of tickets and nobody else is showing up looking for one. How the hell do they make any money like that?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't they get refunds??

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I got a very angry voicemail today from a number that I've gotten scam calls from. The real owner was very upset that I kept calling her.
I sent her a nice text explaining that we both got screwed.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

peanut posted:

Don't they get refunds??

Even if they could, which I doubt*, certainly not after the game is already started.

*I have literally never bought a ticket for a sporting event myself, much less tried to return one.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
That's what's great about this website - I can go right to the experts on any given topic!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sorry we couldn't answer your scalper question. I'd suggest doing more research on Craigslist with your debit card, and then reporting back with an actual scam.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

maybe they have a big family who wants to see the game but is getting off work late????

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I got a very angry voicemail today from a number that I've gotten scam calls from. The real owner was very upset that I kept calling her.
I sent her a nice text explaining that we both got screwed.

I picked up a call one, I say "Hello", person on the other side says

"Who is this?!"

Taken aback, I say "Look, you're calling me. How about you identify yourself" followed by the man telling me I kept calling him. We were both confused. Alas.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Ah yes, the classic phone connection prank, I suppose it can be mildly entertaining for the man in the middle, more so if they previously agitated one or both participants.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The phone system we had at one of my earlier jobs allowed you to log into a web interface where you could keep a contact list and set your forwarding and so on. You could also place calls from the web interface which would case your phone to ring, and when you picked it up it would ring the recipient.

When you logged in you had to enter an extension but the system didn't confirm that it was actually your extension, which made it really easy to make man in the middle prank calls. Log in with someone else's extension, place a call to a second victim and you'd end up with two confused coworkers. :v:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

96 Port Hub posted:

Can anybody explain to me how ticket scalpers work? Not stubhub which is its own kind of scam, but the dudes hanging out in front of every baseball game I've ever been to. I know that they buy low and sell high but I've always thought there must be something more to it. Sure it makes sense when it's a sold out game and people are willing to pay over face for tickets, but I've sold extras to these guys after the game has already started and the stadium is less than a quarter full. They never give me more than $10 for a $30 ticket, but they already have a stack of tickets and nobody else is showing up looking for one. How the hell do they make any money like that?

Ticket brokers with extra tickets work out deals with scalpers to try to offload them last minute. They may not have a whole lot invested in that stack of tickets themselves.

Or the stack is just for show.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Right, but what about the guys shouting about buying up extra tickets? Last night outside the Blazers game there was a dude yelling something like "get cash instead of throwing it in the trash!" Are they pretty much just going to try and turn around and make a profit in the next 15 minutes before tipoff?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

tk posted:

Ticket brokers with extra tickets work out deals with scalpers to try to offload them last minute. They may not have a whole lot invested in that stack of tickets themselves.

Or the stack is just for show.

It's also possible that the stack isn't even legit tickets. Or any of the tickets at all, really. I always got told to never, ever buy a ticket from a scalper because there's a real possibility that it won't even be a real ticket. Then you take it to the counter and they're like "sorry you gots to pay full price this ticket isn't legit/from a previous game." If you go back to confront the scalper he won't be there anymore.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Recently back from a holiday in the US and Canada and why the gently caress does anyone ever buy tickets from scalpers? We bought tickets to nba, NFL and NHL games and were able to get cheap, official tickets within hours of the start for every one.

How dumb can you be?

(Reads rest of thread, cries quietly to self)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

StubHub let’s you buy seats for like an hour after the start, so people crash their prices down just to get something too. The secondhand market sucks, but you can get good deals. I’m lucky to live in a market that doesn’t care about hockey, so my tickets are already cheap and I can often pick up good deals. Still see scalpers at the games though.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

iajanus posted:

Recently back from a holiday in the US and Canada and why the gently caress does anyone ever buy tickets from scalpers? We bought tickets to nba, NFL and NHL games and were able to get cheap, official tickets within hours of the start for every one.

How dumb can you be?

(Reads rest of thread, cries quietly to self)

Sometimes you just can't get cheap, official tickets

Only 96 of the 18000 seats at the Air Canada Centre for the Leaf's first home playoff game were available to the public - all the rest were bulksold to corporations, season ticket holders, and yes, scalpers (although it's more that the corporations/season ticket holders/etc. turned around and sold theirs to the scalpers or stubhub sites).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's been impossible to get Carp tickets since they won the championship in 2016. loving internet scalpers :bang:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's also possible that the stack isn't even legit tickets. Or any of the tickets at all, really. I always got told to never, ever buy a ticket from a scalper because there's a real possibility that it won't even be a real ticket. Then you take it to the counter and they're like "sorry you gots to pay full price this ticket isn't legit/from a previous game." If you go back to confront the scalper he won't be there anymore.

I have heard this mostly from the people selling the tickets at retail. I'm in Washington, it's legal to scalp tickets here, and have bought tickets to Sounders games several times, and PAX passes for the last 5 years without ever pulling a forgery. A lot of the guys out there are out there every game/event, so while they can maybe make a quick buck doing that, that burns that option for them going forward.

Of course, I'm talking about sub-$30 tickets. Don't know if I would trust it for something more expensive.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I've seen the same guy scalping music tickets at every venue in my city for like ten years.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Does anyone scalp forged re-entry stamps that would be p cool

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

peanut posted:

It's been impossible to get Carp tickets since they won the championship in 2016. loving internet scalpers :bang:

The recent Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Live series was beset by scalping bots. They managed to mitigate it a little bit, but not enough for me to be able to get a ticket. I'm not one to be on the lookout to buy as soon as ones are available, though. I am a bad fan. :smith:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've sold tickets before when i had extras and I just have the guy scan them first before accepting any money. Why would anyone buy a ticket without doing that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I've sold tickets before when i had extras and I just have the guy scan them first before accepting any money. Why would anyone buy a ticket without doing that?

You may be surprised to learn that option isn't always available.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Vlonald Prump posted:

Had a very mystifying scam call the other day:

Me: Hello?

Scammer: [extremely Chinese voice] Hello, I am calling to inform you that your antivirus has detected a virus on your computer...

Me: Uh huh. What company are you calling from?

Scammer: You're supposed to known that!

Me: ...huh? What's the name of your company?

Scammer: You're supposed to know the company!

Me: Uh, OK. Hope the weather's nice in Beijing [click]

Poor scamtraining, frustration, or unusual honesty in a scammer? You decide!

Just learn mandarin and yell june 4th was the date of the tiananmen square massacre. works every time.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My very tech illiterate grandfather keeps getting pressured by the phone company to buy “WhatsApp credits” so he can call me in the States. Every time he immediately texts me asking if this is a good deal, despite the fact I've told him multiple times using WhatsApp to call me via wifi is free and that's the entire reason I showed him how to use that app in the first place.

Maybe I'll just like, make him a discord and convince him to use that just so the phone company stops bugging him.

snergle posted:

Just learn mandarin and yell june 4th was the date of the tiananmen square massacre. works every time.

六四事件不是假新闻

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

At least he's switched on enough to ask you first I guess?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Guess I hit the jackpot. Got this in my inbox this morning:

quote:

Greetings [MightyJoe36],

Our fast enlarging organization is in search of a Business Correspondence Corrector who's going to be fluent in English to assist in interaction with our foreign clients. Your duties are to examine our business textual content data as well as modifying sentence structure mistakes.

This kind of work is going to take just about 1-2 hours a day. You can do it throughout your spare time period.

Salary:

$5 per 1 Kilobytes. (which is approximately 1025 symbols of basic text).

This particular letter is approximately 1 Kb in size.

So, this will boost your salary up to $2,500 per month.

Necessary abilities:

- Country of residence: us.
- A Windows or mac based laptop or computer.
- Attention to detail.
- Past experience in interpretation or proofreading .
- Optimistic, result driven.
- Video interpretation knowledge is a plus.

For further details, reply to this e-mail with the following info:

- Your name (first and last)

- Country and region

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lmao @ measuring proofreading content in kilobytes.

Sucker: Wow lookit the size of this attachment!
Computer: Download ransomware.sys? Y/Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

quote:

$5 per 1 Kilobytes. (which is approximately 1025 symbols of basic text).

:wtf:

Who rounds 1024 up to 1025? Either leave it exact or round it down to one thousand (which is also the exact value if you measure in real kilobytes).