Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat I left ATT to go to the cheaper variety that “wasn’t sprint” welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nsbmtwMrgY

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don't mess with MVNO's you fucks

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

What will it mean for T-Mobile costumers? Increased coverage?

Is there anywhere these days that Sprint out-covers TMobile?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Better coverage and higher prices, prolly.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

SeANMcBAY posted:

In the short term you can roam on Sprint's network if your device is compatible. :v: Longer-term T-Mobile gets Sprint's 2.5 GHz spectrum for rapid 5G deployment.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is there anywhere these days that Sprint out-covers TMobile?

Anywhere Sprint has 800 MHz deployed where T-Mobile doesn't have 700 MHz. But I'm not sure how many of those areas there are

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr.Radar posted:

In the short term you can roam on Sprint's network if your device is compatible. :v: Longer-term T-Mobile gets Sprint's 2.5 GHz spectrum for rapid 5G deployment.

Anywhere Sprint has 800 MHz deployed where T-Mobile doesn't have 700 MHz. But I'm not sure how many of those areas there are

Is the roaming possible now or when it’s official?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Considering this was just announced and there’s a very real chance of the government torpedoing things, I can’t imagine anything really changes today.

As we get closer to early 2019 when this deal would actually close I suspect we’ll hear more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is the roaming possible now or when it’s official?

Sprint phones can probably roam on T-Mobile , but not all T-Mobile phones can work on sprint. For instance, T-Mobile sold iPhone 7, 7+, 8 , 8+ and X all are non Sprint comparable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I hope they just shutter sprint and use the spectrum they owned, because sprint is literal garbage.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

e.pilot posted:

I hope they just shutter sprint and use the spectrum they owned, because sprint is literal garbage.

As a former Sprint customer, this is what everyone should be hoping. TMobile does have experience merging in/killing off CDMA networks with MetroPCS.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Maneki Neko posted:

As a former Sprint customer, this is what everyone should be hoping. TMobile does have experience merging in/killing off CDMA networks with MetroPCS.

I gave up an employee account at sprint that cost me $35/mo for unlimited everything when I switched to t-mo because they were so bad.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

e.pilot posted:

Every person I know with Sprint, hates them. I remember one girl from work who was always in the backroom yelling at Sprint because her bill was hosed up ... again, literally every month.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think I ever had a hosed up bill, but Phoenix got absolutely shafted on 4G coverage during the Wimax rollout, and the remaining 3G network was utterly decimated once the iPhone finally made it to Sprint. The in-store experience always sucked rear end, too. TMobile isn't quite as cheap but it actually loving works.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sprint is rear end and worse than even the most janky mvno

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’m trying to think of my favorite memories selling sprint for 3 ish years.

- Showing customers a map of the new 4G WiMAX coverage, and explaining that dark green was in building coverage, light green you still got coverage, but only out doors.

-4G WiMAX phones lasting 4 hours when you left 4G on.

-the day they turned off Nextel. Customer came in complaint their 12 business Nextel phone didn’t work. We sold them 12 sprint “walkie” phones. Customer came back next day after finding out they didn’t work because Sprint has half the building penetration of Nextel.

-selling those drat sprint replacement walkie phones. Sprint relies heavily on Verizon roaming (especially at the time). But with the new sprint Nextel’s, as soon as they jumped on roaming, walkie didn’t work until you power cycled the phone.

-selling the dual screen Kyocera Echo. Google it.

-every time you activated a Blackberry, the only way to get it to work was to do a full factory reset.

-as the above poster said, just how bad the network poo poo the bed once the iPhone became available. I vividly remember pulling over to give google maps time to load.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

wormil posted:

Every person I know with Sprint, hates them. I remember one girl from work who was always in the backroom yelling at Sprint because her bill was hosed up ... again, literally every month.

I was seriously gonna post about this. It seemed like Stockholm syndrome or just plain naivety. I guess using the proprietary hardware a la Verizon doesn’t help

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Duckman2008 posted:

-selling the dual screen Kyocera Echo. Google it.

What the gently caress???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0f4-FM95Q

(Note: that video came out only a year after the device launched.)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Nintendo ds was really popular at that time?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ds nuts

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man I missed the BOGO Galaxy S9 deal. Any chance they bring it back in a few months?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
T-Mobile is going to continue being T-Mobile, and Sprint is going to finish its descent into second tier status as it quietly merges with Metro PCS. I don't think you should look at this deal as though the two companies are somehow obligated to have their qualities meet in the middle.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Second tier is very generous

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

What the gently caress???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-0f4-FM95Q

(Note: that video came out only a year after the device launched.)

I think I only ever sold 3 Echos in my life. And 2 were def after they went to basically free. I got to use one for a few months though. I almost wish I could have kept it.

Edit: I forgot to mention: the battery life on the Echo was so bad that they included s 2nd battery with it in advance so you wouldn’t have to worry about battery life. Also, this was when 4G was seriously ramping up, and it was 3G only.

Edit 2: also, Sprint literally paid David Blain to do some performance to introduce the phone.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

T-Mobile is going to continue being T-Mobile, and Sprint is going to finish its descent into second tier status as it quietly merges with Metro PCS. I don't think you should look at this deal as though the two companies are somehow obligated to have their qualities meet in the middle.

Well, the difference is that Son owns sprint, and that guy is going to want a say in the merged company. That being said , he hasn’t caused the Sprint train wreck, he was just dumb enough to buy it, so I don’t think you can quite say it’s his fault or he will make bad decisions with it yet.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 30, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

E2M2 posted:

Man I missed the BOGO Galaxy S9 deal. Any chance they bring it back in a few months?

Tmobile constantly does bogo. Wouldn't surprise me.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Don Lapre posted:

Tmobile constantly does bogo. Wouldn't surprise me.

Yup, wait till Mother's Day.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I just updated my 5 line family Single Choice 4gb plan to the new Military ONE plan. My bill should be going from $126 with an 18% discount to flat $110 including Netflix.
Waited 2 days and then went to activate the Netflix portion. Website said I was not eligible even though Military ONE was turned on. HMMM.
Took a look at my plan, and the phone rep managed to make each of my 5 lines a single Military ONE primary line at $55 each. Total bill for next month was listed at $275.
Went instore and had them attempt to fix. Now my plan shows a hodgepodge of Military ONE and regular ONE, with the monthly total coming to $125 and going into effect 5/8.
How badly have they f-ed up my plan? There are no extras on there, everything should be default. I did not even bite on a 50% S9.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Sounds like the rep who switched you over hosed it up (which is an easy thing to do, tbh, because our systems are the worst bullshit ever) and the additional you're paying this month is the prorated charges from being on the multiple single line plans for, like, a few days. You could probably call 611 and bitch about it and they'd credit you the difference, if you really care about $15.

Everything should be fine from here on out.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 30, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
About the military plan, account is in my name, I'm a vet but not active; wife is active. I would need to close my account and open a new account in her name?

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

wormil posted:

About the military plan, account is in my name, I'm a vet but not active; wife is active. I would need to close my account and open a new account in her name?

Nope, any vet can be account holder. I got out in '92.

Daily Forecast posted:

Sounds like the rep who switched you over hosed it up (which is an easy thing to do, tbh, because our systems are the worst bullshit ever) and the additional you're paying this month is the prorated charges from being on the multiple single line plans for, like, a few days. You could probably call 611 and bitch about it and they'd credit you the difference, if you really care about $15.

Everything should be fine from here on out.

I am going to wait until 5/8 to see if everything looks correct. I'll eat the $15 just so no one goes back in and f's it up again. I got Netflix to bill correctly last night at least. Of course that starts 5/8 also.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

wormil posted:

Vet has to be account holder, active can just be an authorized user, but a vet being an authorized user doesn't qualify for the military plan, for whatever dumb reason.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This looks to be a pretty reasonable write-up if anyone has more merger questions:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/30/17301392/t-mobile-sprint-merger-preview-phone-carrier

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Daily Forecast posted:

but a vet being an authorized user doesn't qualify for the military plan

Because then people would just add vets to their account for the discount.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Vet has to be account holder, active can just be an authorized user, but a vet being an authorized user doesn't qualify for the military plan, for whatever dumb reason.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I switched to the 55+ plan, all TM did was change ownership to my wife, no new account created but it did do a credit check on her. Then they just changed the plan on the account and we setup new auto-pay on the account. It should be the same here if the active is currently the account owner.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Because then people would just add vets to their account for the discount.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner!

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Maneki Neko posted:

This looks to be a pretty reasonable write-up if anyone has more merger questions:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/30/17301392/t-mobile-sprint-merger-preview-phone-carrier

I’m hoping they’ll have some crazy promotion like 2 lines for $100 again.

That would cement me switching over.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Decairn posted:

When I switched to the 55+ plan, all TM did was change ownership to my wife, no new account created but it did do a credit check on her. Then they just changed the plan on the account and we setup new auto-pay on the account. It should be the same here if the active is currently the account owner.

They made you a new account. That's called a change of responsibility and I do it all the time. Run credit, make a new account under the new billing party's name, move the lines over, close old account.

It's not actually possible to change the billing name of an account.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm selling a Samsung S8 that I got as a replacement from Assurant for an insurance claim. I've heard that Assurant sometimes gives out refurbished phones; is there any way to tell? Ideally just from the IMEI because I'm trying to sell it sealed so there is less room for shenanigans.

I'd give a discount to a goon I guess so let me know if anyone is interested. I priced it at $440 at swappa which I think is generous but I'm worried about getting scammed by buyers there.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Meydey posted:

Nope, any vet can be account holder. I got out in '92.

Sweet, working on the switch now.

They want to backdate to last month, which seems okay since it's cheaper than my current plan. I can't think of any "gotchas".

Edit, I'm confused by the pricing, they told me it would be $100/mo for 4 lines with autopay. 55/25/10/10. But my account shows $110/mo charge 80/15/15/0. WTF?

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

wormil posted:

Sweet, working on the switch now.

They want to backdate to last month, which seems okay since it's cheaper than my current plan. I can't think of any "gotchas".

Edit, I'm confused by the pricing, they told me it would be $100/mo for 4 lines with autopay. 55/25/10/10. But my account shows $110/mo charge 80/15/15/0. WTF?

Mine got hosed up big time. They marked all lines as primary (5) at $55 each. Monthly bill showed $275. Should be fixed by Monday, but we will see.
Probably going to have to call.