Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Didn't see a thread for this, thought I'd start one.

The Handmaid's Tale is an award-winning dystopian/speculative fiction show, based on the novel by Margaret Atwood. It takes place in the present or near future (with flashbacks for context), where human fertility is dangerously low, the environment is in terrible shape, and an authoritarian, Old Testament regime has recently taken control of America and turned it into a terrible, oppressive theocracy called Gilead. This society is very strictly ordered, with the Commanders (powerful rich men) in charge of everything, and just about everyone else is in strictly defined and enforced roles.

Handmaids are fertile women who basically serve as sex slaves/incubators for the Commanders and their wives, with a ritualized rape ceremony once a month. They are very strictly trained, watched, and controlled, treated little better than livestock, with even their names taken from them. Once they bear and wean a child, they're shuffled off to make babies for another couple, and this presumably repeats until they can't anymore, then get sent off to the colonies to clean up nuclear waste until they die. It's a miserable loving existence.

Our heroine, Offred/June Osborne, played by Elisabeth Moss, is one of these Handmaids.

Before Gilead happened, she was a normal woman with a husband and a young daughter, working as an editor at a publishing company. She tried to escape to Canada with her family when poo poo was hitting the fan, but got caught and sent to a Red Center, where Handmaids are trained and indoctrinated. Throughout season one, she was in the service of the Waterfords, a wealthy couple who had been instrumental in the forming of the new regime. She is now pregnant and on the run, though how far she gets remains to be seen.

Others:
Ofglen/Emily, played by Alexis Bledel:

A former cellular biology professor, she was separated from her wife and son and forced to be a Handmaid. In season one, she is part of Mayday, a resistance movement, and gets Offred involved. Caught having a relationship with a Martha (the domestic servant class of women), she is quickly put on trial, forced to watch her lover die, given a clitoridectomy, and transferred to another couple. The last we saw of her in season one, she briefly stole a car and ran over a couple soldiers, for which, as we learn in season two, she was sent to the colonies to clean up nuclear waste. Looks like she'll be playing a larger role this season, which is exciting, as she's great in the part.

Moira, played by Samira Wiley:

June's best friend from college, a rebellious, outspoken lesbian. She was also sent to the Red Center in season one, but escaped, only to be caught and forced to work at Jezebels, a brothel for high-ranking men. Last season, she stabbed her way out and managed to make it to Canada, because she's awesome. Hasn't yet popped up in season two, though I hope we see a lot more of her.

Ofwarren/Janine, played by Madeline Brewer:

Sweet, unbalanced young girl, whose eye was removed for disobedience at the Red Center. In season one, she gave birth to her commander's baby, and believed that he was in love with her. When she was then given to another family, she kidnapped the baby and attempted suicide by jumping off a bridge. She survived, and as of S2E2, is sent to the colonies.

Serena Joy Waterford, played by Yvonne Strahovski:

Offred's mistress. Before Gilead, she was a Phyllis Schlafly-like "domestic feminist", and one of the chief architects of the regime. She is controlling, tightly wound, and generally awful.

Aunt Lydia, played by Ann Dowd:

One of, maybe the chief, Aunt, a true believer older woman in charge of training and keeping tracks on the Handmaids. She's a terrifying and sadistic, but oddly maternal, authority figure, who honestly seems to believe that she's doing what's right for her "girls". Dowd is fantastic in the part.

And the men:

Commander Fred Waterford, played by Joseph Fiennes:

Offred's commander, and a high-ranking official in Gilead. Dickhead.

Luke, husband of June/Offred, played by O-T Fagbenle:

Decent, regular guy, who unfortunately didn't try to escape with his family until it was too late. He is now a refugee living in Canada, and at the end of last season had been reunited with Moira.

Nick, played by Max Minghella:

Commander Waterford's driver, and also an Eye (spies/secret police, more or less) and possibly a member of Mayday. In season one, at the behest of Serena Joy, he and June began an affair, and he is almost certainly the father of her current child. Seems a bit dim, but he helped June escape the Waterfords, so there's that.

I think that's the main bits, if I've missed anyone or anything let me know and I'll edit. The first two episodes of season two are now out on Hulu, with a new one being added at 1200 est on Wednesdays. Let's enjoy the misery together, shall we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Honestly about 2/3rds through this episode I was done, wasn't going to watch the season. I couldn't deal with another entire season of this bleak poo poo. But now, I'm in. Hopefully theres some hope this season.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I felt the same way. The cafeteria scene was way too much in so many directions. I doubt there will be any good things to come in this show though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Yeah, I watched the first few episodes of the new season starting at around six am last Wednesday, and it pretty much hosed up the rest of my day. I'm not usually squeamish, but this show is loving brutal.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Honestly about 2/3rds through this episode I was done, wasn't going to watch the season. I couldn't deal with another entire season of this bleak poo poo. But now, I'm in. Hopefully theres some hope this season.
Kate Bush singing This Woman's Work as the girls are led to the gallows was really loving hard to watch and when that scene concluded I literally yelled WHAT KIND OF hosed UP poo poo IS THIS?!

The writing was really good in season 1 was good so I'll still watch, but drat. What the gently caress.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I've never wanted to see a face caved in with a rock more than Aunt Lydia's, Jesus

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

resting mitch face posted:

Kate Bush singing This Woman's Work as the girls are led to the gallows was really loving hard to watch and when that scene concluded I literally yelled WHAT KIND OF hosed UP poo poo IS THIS?!

The writing was really good in season 1 was good so I'll still watch, but drat. What the gently caress.

Yeah, that scene definitely had me questioning if I wanted to put myself through more of this. I thought the second episode was a little easier to stomach, though of course that's extremely relative as far as this show goes. Shame to see Marisa Tomei come and go so quickly, but I'm really liking Emily a lot.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I've never wanted to see a face caved in with a rock more than Aunt Lydia's, Jesus

Ann Dowd is so loving good, though.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Aunt Lydia is terrible, no doubt, but Ann Dowd's performance is so powerful that it's hard to look away. I can't think of a better actress working today.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

clown shoes posted:

Aunt Lydia is terrible, no doubt, but Ann Dowd's performance is so powerful that it's hard to look away. I can't think of a better actress working today.

I really hope we get some flashbacks into what made her... her.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Crow Jane posted:

I really hope we get some flashbacks into what made her... her.

In the first episode when the teacher calls to tell her she sent her kid to the ER I swear to god that was Lydia’s voice on the phone being a hardass.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Anyone have a link to the S1 thread? Finally getting around to watching it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

In the first episode when the teacher calls to tell her she sent her kid to the ER I swear to god that was Lydia’s voice on the phone being a hardass.

I'd have to listen again, but I can see it.

I wasn't quite sure whether to read the scene of her tearing up before ringing the bell as her being glad June's pregnant, or as a small moment of regret for the hell she's putting the girls through. Either would be totally her, of course.

esperterra posted:

Anyone have a link to the S1 thread? Finally getting around to watching it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818662
Requires archives

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Thanks!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ugh. This show is so good, but it just loving hurts to watch.

Woden
May 6, 2006

resting mitch face posted:

That scene really annoyed me because I knew they wouldn't kill the main character and every thing is so over the top. The writing in the first season was really good so I'll stick around, but they dropped the ball by reminding you the main character is unkillable.

The cafeteria scene was really good though.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
They're not going to kill a ton of fertile women, period. They would absolutely suffocate them to the point of anoxic brain injury, or paralyze them and use them as thoughtless wombs life support devices, though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I thought they were just going to let a few spots on the gallows drop, killing (or yeah, paralyzing or turning them into vegetables) a few random Handmaids to teach the others a lesson seems like it'd be right out of the Gilead playbook.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Crow Jane posted:

I thought they were just going to let a few spots on the gallows drop, killing (or yeah, paralyzing or turning them into vegetables) a few random Handmaids to teach the others a lesson seems like it'd be right out of the Gilead playbook.

That what I was thinking initially, that they'd kill one or two, or maybe drop everyone just enough that they could stand on their tiptoes struggling to breathe until the slacked the ropes. But in the end, the scene was still effective. I certainly wasn't sitting there thinking, "Oh, whatever, June can't die."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

clown shoes posted:

I hate to say it but I think she hams it up too much. Feels like a cartoon more than a believable person to me. Although, a lot of that falls on the writing.

Edit: In regards to this first episode at least. Not so much season 1

Also

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 29, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Aunt Lydia got referenced in the White House Press Dinner roast of Sarah Sanders.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

I never read the book (books?) But is the story from a book or are we off the rails?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I hate to say it but I think she hams it up too much. Feels like a cartoon more than a believable person to me. Although, a lot of that falls on the writing.

Edit: In regards to this first episode at least. Not so much season 1

Also

To some extent I think the persona she puts on in front of the girls is meant to be exaggerated, sort of in the same way a drill sergeant or dominatrix is. Doesn't make her any less horrible or terrifying, of course, and I've no doubt she's a true believer, but in a way it's no different than the Handmaids acting meek or the wives acting aloof. Plus she was apoplectic with rage at the time because they refused to stone Janine, makes sense she'd ramp it up a few dozen notches to really put the fear of god in them.

etalian posted:

Aunt Lydia got referenced in the White House Press Dinner roast of Sarah Sanders.

Shucks wishes she was half the actress Ann Dowd is, maybe then people would actually believe her lies.

Anyway, what do y'all think of the Colonies so far?

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 29, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good point.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Honestly I think I'd like an aunt Lidya back story. What was she before? Was she part of the all men plan? Someone's mom, wife?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Working my way through season one, but I wanted to pop in quick to mention just how happy I am with the adaptation so far. I had been worried about some of the changes, but stuff like making Serena Joy much younger turned out to be a huge boon for the show imho. I'm super impressed with Strahovski so far, and ofc Bledel but I already knew she won an Emmy so I'm not too surprised by her pulling an A+ performance for once.

This is good poo poo and I look forward to season two. Does the first season wrap up more or less where the book ends, with two moving past those events or is there some overlap?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I never read the book (books?) But is the story from a book or are we off the rails?

there was only ever one book and they're officially outside of it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

God I hate Hulu’s weekly release schedule

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

esperterra posted:

This is good poo poo and I look forward to season two. Does the first season wrap up more or less where the book ends, with two moving past those events or is there some overlap?

Yeah, from my memory (haven't read the book since high school, should probably remedy that) the first season lines up really neatly with the book, minus some of the extra stuff the show adds. Margaret Atwood helped write the new stuff iirc, or at least served as a consultant.

veni veni veni posted:

God I hate Hulu’s weekly release schedule

God, :same:. I'd rather just rip the Band-aid off all at once like I did with the first season and a very depressing weekend.

Also yeah, I want an Aunt Lydia origin story really badly.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 29, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah, from my memory (haven't read the book since high school, should probably remedy that) the first season lines up really neatly with the book, minus some of the extra stuff the show adds. Margaret Atwood helped write the new stuff iirc, or at least served as a consultant.

Yeah, finding out she consulted heavily is one of the reasons I finally jumped in. Her cameoing to slap Moss in the premiere was a riot lmao.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Thank you for making this thread. I was staring at gifs and source codes two nights ago trying to get my posting mojo on but i....didn't do anything. Unlike our hero! Cutting my ear off to own the chuds!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Fragmented posted:

Thank you for making this thread. I was staring at gifs and source codes two nights ago trying to get my posting mojo on but i....didn't do anything. Unlike our hero! Cutting my ear off to own the chuds!

No probs! Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to add to the op, I kinda slapped it together.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Great thread title, though I was gonna go with "Season Two: Externalized Misogyny"

Holy god drat it's off to a good start though. The Colonies look brutal and oddly gorgeous. And I let out the biggest gently caress YEAH at the "poison, not medicine" reveal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That what I was thinking initially, that they'd kill one or two, or maybe drop everyone just enough that they could stand on their tiptoes struggling to breathe until the slacked the ropes. But in the end, the scene was still effective. I certainly wasn't sitting there thinking, "Oh, whatever, June can't die."

I knew it was a mock execution, but the scene was still effective at selling the terror the handmaids were experiencing, and mock executions are absolutely a terror tool of totalitarian regimes.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Binged the series in a couple of days, really enjoyed it. The cinematography and the performances, especially. Aunt Lydia is probably my favourite - the brutality and affection for her handmaidens the actress portraits is mesmerizing to watch.
The colonies were a bit disappointing though - it didn't look as horrible comparably to what I imagined it, specifically the way the women were digging at the ground with some shovels - it looked underwhelming. Also, are only women sent to the colonies?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I think the Colonies vary; the one we saw was all women, but it stands to reason there might be some for men out there as well. I'm actually mildly curious about what exactly happened to all the regular/non-rear end in a top hat men in Gilead, though not enough to want the show to devote much time to it.

Vvv Rita seems alright, and the Martha that Emily slept with was probably okay. Also that second Wife Emily was assigned to tried to delay the monthly rape, which I guess counts as being a good person in Gilead

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 30, 2018

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Concerning the non-rear end in a top hat men, a curious thing I've noticed, that every outsider character who has helped the main cast was a man. Im actually more curious about where are the non-rear end in a top hat women in this show? It's like all of them have been made handmaidens.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Monglo posted:

Concerning the non-rear end in a top hat men, a curious thing I've noticed, that every outsider character who has helped the main cast was a man. Im actually more curious about where are the non-rear end in a top hat women in this show? It's like all of them have been made handmaidens.

The Waterford's Martha helped June in S1.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I like this show but boy does it lean on the melodrama a lot. Add in all the graphic violence, replace the facism with zombies and you're practically in The Walking Dead territory. I'm going to keep watching because this season has been doing a good job building up the backstory, while also giving the characters a bit more depth but I wouldn't mind an episode that didn't hammer in some dramatic beat with music or act of graphic violence. I soured a bit on Moss after watching Top of the Lake S2 recently, so that's not helping things.

Also if Offred is recaptured and we go backwards, I'm done. This is a good time to have her lying low among the common people, and give us some perspective on what's happening in the immediate world from a perspective other than the upper class.

Anyone got any guesses where the 'colonies' are? I'm trying to think where the U.S. would nuke, then want to colonize that looks like where they are in the show.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Monglo posted:

That makes sense, the men have freedom of movement and the legal ability to read. That helps a lot for plotting handmaid escapes and such.

Given the massive drop in the labor force when you remove all the women and send most of the young men off to war, I have to imagine all the remaining men have their hands full with work just trying to keep the economy from cratering any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

The Waterford's Martha helped June in S1.

And she found the letters.

• Locked thread