Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

If anybody wanted to air any of Cosby's show now, they should be able to put 'Eminence Front' in lieu of the original theme as a warning. Also, does anybody really play Cosby reruns anymore? The whole show went over nearly thirty years ago, it's hard to tell since I'm not even sure if reruns are a thing again now.

It's gone off and on the air a couple of times since everyone found out Cosby was a rapist. It'll be back on in 4 months. Family shows are weird in that even the lead cast member being a rapist won't deter some people from enjoying that good clean fun.

Two examples, the fact Duggars are still inexplicably a thing on TLC and Seventh Heaven still being in syndication even though the Reverend diddled kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Seventh Heaven still being in syndication even though the Reverend diddled kids.

Do the actors get any money from that?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Do the actors get any money from that?

Probably.

https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/can-tv-actor-live-off-royalties-forever.htm

quote:

Actors who play bit roles, or even leading actors whose shows are less successful, also receive residual income, but the amounts are often small -- sometimes laughably so. Actor Jeff Cohen, who appeared in one episode of "The Facts of Life," wrote an article for Backstage magazine describing how he spent a $0.67 residual check. He took it to Maeve's Re$iduals, a pub that once traded a free drink for any SAG-AFTRA check of $1 or less.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's better than New Zealand where actors on Lord of the Rings got zero residuals ever. It's good to be part of SAG AFTRA.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

gaydad posted:

I’m watching Bar Rescue and Jon Taffer consults a comedian to help some bar... turns out that comedian consultant is Owen Benjamin lmao this hasn’t aged well after his racist tirades

I read that as H. Jon Benjamin on the first pass and was PRETTY WORRIED.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd love to see Archer on Bar Rescue.

"Well, we're still having trouble attracting customers, but we made a profit on his tab alone."

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Which was a spinoff of The Danny Thomas Show. Which was renamed from Make Room For Daddy (and better known as that now).

If being Andy Taylor wasn't enough, there was another Andy Griffith Show, conveniently named The New Andy Griffith Show. This time he was Andy Sawyer. And because Griffith's previous attempt at a show, Headmaster, failed, Andy Sawyer was virtually identical to Andy Taylor. To the point a handful of old characters from Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry RFD appeared, making for an odd universe where Goober knew Andy Taylor and Andy Sawyer, but the Andys weren't the same person. RFD was still airing at the time.

The only Mayberry related shows I've watched was the original B/W episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, and now that MeTV started showing it, Gomer Pile USMC. This was an interesting post for me!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I do LOVE me some MST3k, but this host segment is 90's as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5n2IFzn1c

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It was very accurate for 1994, I have to say.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Somebody put Crow's computer into perspective, 24 years later

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Calaveron posted:

Somebody put Crow's computer into perspective, 24 years later

Close to, but not quite, top of the line for mid-1994 desktop PCs. At least of the sort you could buy for home use without spending $TEXAS.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wow.

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/894767493998399489

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

This was never good.
Though it reminds me, there were a lot of reasons the psych movie was terrible, but the one that stood out the most to me was ripping off this scene. Not even a parody, just straight up Shawn concentrating on words. Thankfully it wasn't as drawn out.

At least most of the tv show holds up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

That entire episode was full of bafflingly stupid decisions and that is just the most obvious one.

It's not the only show to have gone from good to bad but most of them take dozens of episodes to do it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

This is totally one of those segments near the end of an Ace Attorney case where you have to connect the dots and announce the final case-breaking fact.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd love one of those segments to just end with:

Watson: But what does that mean Sherlock?
Sherlock: Absolutely nothing.. sorry I appear to have confused myself...

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

This is totally one of those segments near the end of an Ace Attorney case where you have to connect the dots and announce the final case-breaking fact.

Specifically from Investigations, the Edgeworth spin-off where you do use Logic as a superpower.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love one of those segments to just end with:

Watson: But what does that mean Sherlock?
Sherlock: Absolutely nothing.. sorry I appear to have confused myself...

Yeah, like, I could sit around thinking of every word that starts with IN regardless of context and make weird jumps from like canon to the 1812 Overture but like that just shows I have ADHD not that I can solve crimes because I have a minority report computer in my brain.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Samuringa posted:

Specifically from Investigations, the Edgeworth spin-off where you do use Logic as a superpower.

I was thinking one of those revisualization sequences from the later games.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
It's supposed to be a mind palace, which is an old mnemonic device that apparently works pretty well, except a mind palace involves visualizing a place and visualizing the the things you want to memorize as being in locations in it, so it'd probably be more interesting to look at. Maybe use it for some character development, I dunno. Have Sherlock walking around a familiar or unfamiliar location with some surreal and dreamlike visuals or something. It'd probably be cheesy too, but it'd be something.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
In retrospect, there were only actually like two good episodes of Sherlock.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

It's supposed to be a mind palace, which is an old mnemonic device that apparently works pretty well, except a mind palace involves visualizing a place and visualizing the the things you want to memorize as being in locations in it, so it'd probably be more interesting to look at. Maybe use it for some character development, I dunno. Have Sherlock walking around a familiar or unfamiliar location with some surreal and dreamlike visuals or something. It'd probably be cheesy too, but it'd be something.

The funny thing is that they actually do that for a mind palace later. I guess they just never got the idea of...shooting at another location?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Laterite posted:

The unaired pilot version of episode one and...?

the unaired pilot felt a lot better to me at least in part because Sherlock gets caught because of hubris. The taxi driving serial killer sticks him with a needle because he's too busy thinking about other theories to see it coming. Its a small but important change from Sherlock gets into the taxi willingly because ???

Its weird because I don't think the show did age badly exactly, but each successive episode makes you realise more of the flaws that were always there.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I feel like with a lot of shows I watched when I was younger, like Quantum Leap, The X-Files or even later stuff like Battlestar Galactica, I have this idea that they're good because my head is only capable of remembering the dozen or so amazing bits from them, while filtering out untold hours of nonsense garbage.

This feels so much more obvious when I remember Sherlock because I always think "Yeah that show was pretty good" and within minutes convince myself "No wait it was mostly awful and you're recalling the one good bit per episode."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
HBomberGuy already proved that Sherlock is objectively poo poo in every way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Every episode with Moriarty was great

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

Every episode with Moriarty was great

Same, but Star Trek

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

HBomberGuy already proved that Sherlock is objectively poo poo in every way.
Oh well thank god whoever this is did that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh well thank god whoever this is did that.

Get a load of this maroon who doesn't know who HBomb is. :rolleyes:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Elementary is the Good Sherlock and I will fight anyone who argues

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

GrandpaPants posted:

The funny thing is that they actually do that for a mind palace later. I guess they just never got the idea of...shooting at another location?

or the budget

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

The dude's from Fulton, New York, basically racism central
Yeah :( A friend of mine has talked about seeing people get fitted for klan robes at a county fair in upstate NY. There's a serious racism problem.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Laterite posted:

I enjoyed all of S1 and S2. Some episodes were better than others, but they were all perfectly watchable.

S3 was such a pile of dogshit that I still haven't watched S4.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

trickybiscuits posted:

Yeah :( A friend of mine has talked about seeing people get fitted for klan robes at a county fair in upstate NY. There's a serious racism problem.

Clandestinely sew whoopie cushions into their shoes. Won't completely solve the issue, but then you'd at least have a funny racism problem.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sweevo posted:

I enjoyed all of S1 and S2. Some episodes were better than others, but they were all perfectly watchable.

S3 was such a pile of dogshit that I still haven't watched S4.

Even the racist Chinese episode? gently caress that show.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sweevo posted:

I still haven't watched S4.

It's revealed that Sherlock's sister has superpowers. Like comic book style suggestion superpowers. And she's stuck in a comic book style island prison because of said superpower.

It's real dumb, but you do also get a fun episode with Toby Jones, so that's something.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Who What Now posted:

Get a load of this maroon who doesn't know who HBomb is. :rolleyes:

Is that the guy that’s on the outs because someone came to him and said that someone else in that community had sexually assaulted them and he asked if maybe they were thinking of someone else?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm rewatching Friends, and despite being seen as progressive because of Carol/Susan, there's a lot of casual homophobia/sexism between Chandler/Joey/Ross any time they don't do/say something "manly" enough.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Koalas March posted:

I'm rewatching Friends, and despite being seen as progressive because of Carol/Susan, there's a lot of casual homophobia/sexism between Chandler/Joey/Ross any time they don't do/say something "manly" enough.

Just wait for the whole "Chandler's listening to a woman empowerment tape" episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Nuclear War posted:

Elementary is the Good Sherlock and I will fight anyone who argues

Seconded. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are strikingly effective as Holmes and Watson.

"Sherlock"'s only redeeming quality is that there's so little of it.