Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Dr. Anatoli Kaploun, University of Massachusetts Boston, is a professor of Mathematics and also teaches at Bunker Hill Community College. Dr. Kaploun is on the list for abusing his academic freedom by making final exams worth 50% of the grade and mistreating his students. One student said he is "extremely rude and calls the entire class stupid. If you ask a question he will scream at you and humiliate you. [He] makes people stand at the front of the class if they don't get something and embarrasses them." Another student said that not only did he fail almost 70% of the class but he also "forced you to ask a question, but then bit your head off if you did ask him a question. There were forty people in my class at the beginning, but now only five people come to class."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Dr. Andrew Little, a Professor at Cornell University, specifically said that hiring more Republican professors would increase diversity of thought, but would lower the quality of the professor on campus, calling Republicans “anti-intellectual.”

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

hackbunny posted:

Dr. Anatoli Kaploun, University of Massachusetts Boston, is a professor of Mathematics and also teaches at Bunker Hill Community College. Dr. Kaploun is on the list for abusing his academic freedom by making final exams worth 50% of the grade and mistreating his students. One student said he is "extremely rude and calls the entire class stupid. If you ask a question he will scream at you and humiliate you. [He] makes people stand at the front of the class if they don't get something and embarrasses them." Another student said that not only did he fail almost 70% of the class but he also "forced you to ask a question, but then bit your head off if you did ask him a question. There were forty people in my class at the beginning, but now only five people come to class."

ok, that guy is probably actually a problem

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Mycroft Holmes posted:

But not for any political reason, just for being a bully and all-around terrible instructor.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Why are authoritarians so loving retarded

“I’m dumb as hell, obviously I need to impose that on everyone else”

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are a couple entries on the list that imo are actually worthwhile, like profs telling their students or other profs or their representatives to kill themselves on facebook or twitter (there are several of these for some reason)- or even physically attacking students or whatever.

But then there's poo poo like this

quote:

Rebecca Shumway is a professor at the College of Charleston in South Carolina who specializes in pre-colonial African history, Atlantic world, and the slave trade. She recently made headlines after tearing down Turning Point USA posters on the campus because she found them "offensive." All of this was documented in a series of posts she made to Facebook regarding the Coexist posters where she declared that "she finds it offensive and believe it encourages violence. The guns are the problem." No action has been taken by the administration, yet.

The manbabies running the site just cannot stand for someone to yank down their posters that are literally targeting people like her for a watchlist

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

Dr. Wendy Haggren is a Professor of Biochemistry University of Colorado-Colorado Springs. She, along with her co-instructors, wrote an e-mail to students in her class saying that debating man's role in climate change would not be allowed and that if student's did not fully accept that climate change was occuring and man-made they should not take the course.

1. good, gently caress climate change deniers

2. lol at misspelling "occurring", maybe whoever made this site should've gone to college or somethin

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Assuming there's any truth to it of course

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Prof. Jamie Woodson is a professor at Jerkwad University.

She repeatedly referred to Charlie Kirk, our founder, as "Charlie Jerk". When asked nicely to stop, she responded "TPUsa more like Toilet Paper USA you guys can suck my lady dick." She later told the TPUSA representative in her class to "Relax" before stating that he should change the name of the organization to "A Bunch of Babies With Poopy Diapers Who Like to Poop in Those Diapers".

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Waffle House posted:

Why are authoritarians so loving retarded

“I’m dumb as hell, obviously I need to impose that on everyone else”

If they weren't stupid they wouldn't be authoritarians :shrug:

I hate TPUSA it's just another shitlord "grassroots" astroturf crapfest funded by rich conservatives who want more for themselves and less for everybody else. If I was General Secretary these people would be re-educated.

look at these scumfucks lol

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's right though

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

your friend a dog posted:

He's right though

*farts loudly*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://professorwatchlist.org/index.php/watch-list-directory/search-by-name/221-nicholas-lee

quote:

Nicholas Lee is an instructor at University of Colorado-Colorado Springs. He co-taught an American history class which promoted the idea that the Founding Fathers were terrorists.

Uhhhh, they were terrorists. It takes like five minutes of research. The Sons of Liberty were the semi-rich upper class and wanted independence to avoid taxation so they rallied the poorer citizens to join their cause. It began by escalating to a civil war. They had an agenda just like any radical group. They're not exempt from being called terrorists just because their actions ended up creating progress. Clearly the guy doesn't mean terrorism by the modern definition, dumb website man.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 30, 2018

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cowards focus on things like "white privilege" and "reparations" because that's easier to waffle about than something meaningful like economic equality

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

http://professorwatchlist.org/index.php/watch-list-directory/search-by-name/221-nicholas-lee

Uhhhh, they were terrorists. It takes like five minutes of research. The Sons of Liberty were the semi-rich upper class and wanted independence to avoid taxation so they rallied the poorer citizens to join their cause. It began by escalating to a civil war. They had an agenda just like any radical group. They're not exempt from being called terrorists just because their actions ended up creating progress. Clearly the guy doesn't mean terrorism by the modern definition, dumb website man.

Didn't they fight a primarily conventional war as opposed to targetting civilians?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Didn't they fight a primarily conventional war as opposed to targetting civilians?

You're right, but the first thing they did was sabotage the new trade deal so that it would disrupt things for everybody, rich or poor or otherwise. It's not terrorism in the cutting-people's-heads-off sense but it is domestic terrorism because it makes life hell for everyone (involved in the cause or not) to prove a point and get them on your side.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

You're right, but the first thing they did was sabotage the new trade deal so that it would disrupt things for everybody, rich or poor or otherwise. It's not terrorism in the cutting-people's-heads-off sense but it is domestic terrorism because it makes life hell for everyone (involved in the cause or not) to prove a point and get them on your side.

I mean, conventional warfare will make things hell for every one involved - blockading ports, restricting trade, destroying infrastructure. Is it more terrorism if it's done from the inside rather than the outside? Sincere question

your friend a dog fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 30, 2018

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

CowardsBlack people focus on things like "white privilege" and "reparations" because that's easier to waffle about than something meaningful like economic equality it affects their lives every goddamned day
FTFY

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Oh boy here we go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I mean, conventional warfare will make things hell for every one involved - blockading ports, restricting trade, destroying infrastructure. Is it more terrorism if it's done from the inside rather than the outside? Sincere question

imo that's the difference between domestic terrorism and the kind without a qualifier, but it's kind of semantics at that point. Domestic terrorism is easier to start from the inside I think, since the Sons of Liberty were an underground society first and foremost and all. Like I said, they were the people affected by the system more than the ones they rallied to their cause, and it would've been way harder to do that if they were Englishmen wanting to be colonials instead of the colonial side. They already were colonials, so their fellow colony-men saw their side quicker.

edit: Or an alternate reading is that they were Englishmen who portrayed themselves as wanting to be colonials, when all they really wanted was freedom from the tax laws. It doesn't really matter, the end result would've been the same with either interpretation of their status.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 30, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Terrorism is "unlawful" violence in pursuit of political aims. Conventional warfare is generally considered "lawful" when certain rules are followed. The British would have probably said the founding fathers were terrorists.

Boston Tea Party would def be considered an act of eco-terrorism at least according to some fairly vague rear end laws we have on the books today. Don't think anyone got hurt though.

e: imo so what though - people have a right to resist tyranny and injustice by whatever means they are able to

ee: people have a right to *resist

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 30, 2018

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I grew up and live in a majority black neighborhood and no one gives a poo poo about "white privilege" outside the kind of person that gets paid to talk about it. What they give a poo poo about is trying to pay their bills.

Instead of trying to assault the nebulous untargetable cloud of 'white privilege' and trying to tell people who're struggling to live hand to mouth that they're more privileged than a rich black person, you could address the actual problem of income inequality instead of wokely signalling your white guilt

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

imo that's the difference between domestic terrorism and the kind without a qualifier, but it's kind of semantics at that point. Domestic terrorism is easier to start from the inside I think, since the Sons of Liberty were an underground society first and foremost and all. Like I said, they were the people affected by the system more than the ones they rallied to their cause, and it would've been way harder to do that if they were Englishmen wanting to be colonials instead of the colonial side. They already were colonials, so their fellow colony-men saw their side quicker.

edit: Or an alternate reading is that they were Englishmen who portrayed themselves as wanting to be colonials, when all they really wanted was freedom from the tax laws. It doesn't really matter, the end result would've been the same with either interpretation of their status.

Moridin920 posted:

Terrorism is "unlawful" violence in pursuit of political aims. Conventional warfare is generally considered "lawful" when certain rules are followed. The British would have probably said the founding fathers were terrorists.

Boston Tea Party would def be considered an act of eco-terrorism at least according to some fairly vague rear end laws we have on the books today. Don't think anyone got hurt though.

e: imo so what though - people have a right to tyranny and injustice by whatever means they are able to

Interesting, thank you

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

trying to tell people who're struggling to live hand to mouth that they're more privileged than a rich black person

It's funny how this argument always comes back to some huge projection on the part of those who don't like it.

I'm sure some internet people say that dude but that's not the point of recognizing racial inequalities in this country - although yeah the real issue is class and the racism stems from that. Not that you can just address one without the other ofc.

But man I'm white and I can drive through any neighborhood I want at any hour and cops won't mess with me and that is absolutely white privilege regardless of my income situation.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd bet you that if we eliminated income inequality we'd 'magically' eliminate white privilege too

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
[giant headline font]Hometown boy makes good![/giant headline font]

Dr. Tobin Shearer is a Professor of African-American Studies at the University of Montana. He argues all statistics showing differences between races (such as economic differences, health differences, etc.) are traceable to systemic racism. In a Youtube video, Shearer says “To be white in America is to claim an identity that attempts to be de-racialized and is predicated upon the receipt of power and privilege simply on one’s appearance: a racialized appearance from the fundamental equations that whiteness equals access to power and privilege based on one’s racial identity.”

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'd really like it if the folks who defend free speech weren't complete twats.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Maybe the answer is shutting the heck up.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

I grew up and live in a majority black neighborhood and no one gives a poo poo about "white privilege" outside the kind of person that gets paid to talk about it. What they give a poo poo about is trying to pay their bills.

Instead of trying to assault the nebulous untargetable cloud of 'white privilege' and trying to tell people who're struggling to live hand to mouth that they're more privileged than a rich black person, you could address the actual problem of income inequality instead of wokely signalling your white guilt

That's a big thing with the visible left tbh. Everyone loves to sling academic terms like "privilege" and "problematic" which comes off as condescending and elitist at best, and just pointless posturing at worst. Yeah, a lot of poors have lovely opinions, if you are going to ease their plight and try to fix the system into something that treats everyone as a human being, you are going to need to get dirty.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'd bet you that if we eliminated income inequality we'd 'magically' eliminate white privilege too

Probably a lot of it, and it wouldn't matter as much anyway if people were more economically self sufficient (for example black owned businesses hiring black people instead of depending on the Walton family to provide jobs for your community). Banks aren't as forthcoming with business loans if you aren't white though (statistically) - can chalk that up to income inequality and some racial bias also imo.

Terrorism chat, one final note: I don't think 'terrorist' is inherently a bad word. It definitely carries certain connotations in modern day but really every armed resistance group is called a terror group by someone and context matters. The Nazis considered the French Resistance a terrorist organization for example (and they were!), but that doesn't mean the French people shouldn't have resisted foreign occupation.

e: for DS9 fans one group called themselves the Maquis

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 30, 2018

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I grew up and live in a majority black neighborhood and no one gives a poo poo about "white privilege" outside the kind of person that gets paid to talk about it.
Try telling some of those black neighbors you don't think racism is real and that the cops are colorblind, and see what they think of your brilliant economic solutions, then.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
So we're all going to submit these to this stupid website, right?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
definitely

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

pookel posted:

Try telling some of those black neighbors you don't think racism is real and that the cops are colorblind, and see what they think of your brilliant economic solutions, then.

except that a lot of racial profiling comes as the result of economic inequality, and solving that first would probably reduce a lot of racism? why does a black guy driving an expensive car in a white neighborhood get pulled over? because cops assume that blacks are poor - because they most often are - so a black man with an expensive car must've stolen it. it's human nature to reduce things to stereotypes because it's a survival mechanism outside of a civilized society. so the best way to work around that is to work to bring everyone up to an equal level and create a society where people aren't being automatically othered because their skin color is associated with a negative economic condition. but that's a lot harder than blanket condemnations and sweeping decries about how your skin color automatically makes you different than other people. oops, that sounds a bit like racism, doesn't it? hm hm hm.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of also don't like the implication that the issue is just white people need to be nicer to minorities and then things will be fine. Like oh it would be okay that you live in horrific poverty conditions as long as the cops are nice to you.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

I kind of also don't like the implication that the issue is just white people need to be nicer to minorities and then things will be fine. Like oh it would be okay that you live in horrific poverty conditions as long as the cops are nice to you.

its almost like the rich prefer pushing for addressing pointless social symptoms instead of attacking the root of the problem. i wonder why that is?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

so the best way to work around that is to work to bring everyone up to an equal level and create a society where people aren't being automatically othered because their skin color is associated with a negative economic condition.
LOL if you think racism in America is a result of poverty and not the other way around

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the poverty was started by racism but poverty is perpetuating the racism more than the other way around

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

except that a lot of racial profiling comes as the result of economic inequality, and solving that first would probably reduce a lot of racism? why does a black guy driving an expensive car in a white neighborhood get pulled over? because cops assume that blacks are poor - because they most often are - so a black man with an expensive car must've stolen it. it's human nature to reduce things to stereotypes because it's a survival mechanism outside of a civilized society. so the best way to work around that is to work to bring everyone up to an equal level and create a society where people aren't being automatically othered because their skin color is associated with a negative economic condition. but that's a lot harder than blanket condemnations and sweeping decries about how your skin color automatically makes you different than other people. oops, that sounds a bit like racism, doesn't it? hm hm hm.

It isn't racist to acknowledge that cops are hella racist my good bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

i agree

• Locked thread