Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Koalas March posted:

I'm rewatching Friends, and despite being seen as progressive because of Carol/Susan, there's a lot of casual homophobia/sexism between Chandler/Joey/Ross any time they don't do/say something "manly" enough.

Oh boy I bet you forgot about Chandler's parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

trickybiscuits posted:

Yeah :( A friend of mine has talked about seeing people get fitted for klan robes at a county fair in upstate NY. There's a serious racism problem.

It gets really rural really fast. Western NY is worse than the Capital Region though, from what I've heard.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Oh boy I bet you forgot about Chandler's parents

No I remember but, it's been years. My best friend (who is now an actor) and I used to download Friends scripts as kids and act them out as practice haha. Now I write scripts and she acts in them. 👭💟🙌🏾

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Besesoth posted:

"Sherlock"'s only redeeming quality is that there's so little of it.

I'd also argue that anything with Martin Freeman in it has some merit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I only watched a handful of friends episodes but I’m giving the series a proper go since it’s all on Netflix.

Why does it seem like everyone’s voices are so weirdly high pitched? Everyone does a little bit but especially Jennifer Aniston.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

I only watched a handful of friends episodes but I’m giving the series a proper go since it’s all on Netflix.

Why does it seem like everyone’s voices are so weirdly high pitched? Everyone does a little bit but especially Jennifer Aniston.

I wonder if the episodes are sped up like happened with Seinfeld recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzujLPnLg3s

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Koalas March posted:

No I remember but, it's been years. My best friend (who is now an actor) and I used to download Friends scripts as kids and act them out as practice haha. Now I write scripts and she acts in them. 👭💟🙌🏾

Sir this is a laundromat.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Araenna posted:

It gets really rural really fast. Western NY is worse than the Capital Region though, from what I've heard.

That's pretty much the case outside any urban center. Western WA, for all the "liberal" reputation it has, gets pretty redneck pretty fast outside of the Seattle bubble.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Convex posted:

I wonder if the episodes are sped up like happened with Seinfeld recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzujLPnLg3s

They're noticeably sped up on nick at nite reruns and it makes it really obvious how weird sitcom joke timing is lol

Netflix should be normal though.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

I'm rewatching Friends, and despite being seen as progressive because of Carol/Susan, there's a lot of casual homophobia/sexism between Chandler/Joey/Ross any time they don't do/say something "manly" enough.

I think the idea was, in that very dorkily earnest 90s way, that gay/trans issues could be mined for humor rather than contempt or outright hostility. That was also around the time pop culture decided to get "real" about sexuality an gender issues in general. It hasn't aged well, regardless.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

sassassin posted:

Sir this is a laundromat.

Well that explains why you're so pressed.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

food court bailiff posted:

They're noticeably sped up on nick at nite reruns and it makes it really obvious how weird sitcom joke timing is lol

Netflix should be normal though.

It might be a bad 50 to 60fps conversion job

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

SpacePig posted:

I'd also argue that anything with Martin Freeman in it has some merit.

Martin Freeman posted:

I met Lucy Liu at the Emmy’s who was charming, but very ugly. She’s a dog, come on, she’s a very unattractive woman.

Martin Freeman posted:

I’ve got drugs. I can just make them [mimes falling over]. Slip them something in their goblet. Some will get offended by that now, because they’ll call it rape or whatever. But, you know, for me it’s a helping hand.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Jokes can only ever be good natured comments about the other party's virtue and value to society, anything else is strictly forbidden :colbert:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Those are jokes. They're not very good jokes, but they are jokes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

HopperUK posted:

Those are jokes. They're not very good jokes, but they are jokes.

If people can read them at face value, their bad jokes.

How is "That woman is so loving ugly!" a joke? Just because it's an obvious lie?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still do not know how in 2018 people are still trying to absolve famous people of saying terrible things with "jeez can't you take a joke???"

Your posts have not aged well!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I believe that's what's known as "negging"

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Koalas March posted:

I always figured the joke wasn't so much "lol gays" as it was that these three effete do-nothing New York pantywaists are trying to LARP as manly men and failing. The zenith being when they are all totally alpha'd by Richard who is a - SO MANLY! - upper middle class eye doctor.

In many ways, an extremely apt predictor of the current wave of alt-right do-nothings who think a $60 fashy haircut and a grey button up will somehow make them into The Alpha Future of the White Race.

EDIT: Anyway, following Scrubschat further up thread, the episode with Colin Farrell was on today, and that is a dang weird episode. Colin Farrell hangs around a dude who's in a coma, impressing everyone with his sexy twinkly Oirishnizz and his ability to Live Life to the Max. They find out he put the dude in a coma in a bar fight, JD phones the cops, Colin Farrell gets out of jail [somehow] and guilt-trips him for Not Being Fun and the guy comes out of the coma and is like "hey mang it's cool" and Colin Farrell diddles off to spread Spontaneous Joy everywhere. Like, even at the time "this guy put a dude in a coma in a fight because he's a Fun and Spontaneous Chap" was kind of a hard sell, but nowdays we

a) Know that concussions are loving Serious and being knocked out is Even Seriouser.
b) Culturally seem to have less of a tolerance for random acts of violence than we did 10 years ago.
c) Have since had Colin Farrell as Ray Velcoro, where he made a life of impulsive excess seem a lot less fun.

So yeah, Scrubs. Not aging well.

Disgusting Coward has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Apr 30, 2018

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sentient Data posted:

Jokes can only ever be good natured comments about the other party's virtue and value to society, anything else is strictly forbidden :colbert:

Jokes need to be funny :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Who What Now posted:

Jokes need to be funny :colbert:

The careers of many, many comedians are evidence to the contrary.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Those jokes are so tired that they may have drank from Martin Freeman's goblet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Martin freeman drugs and rapes women

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Also he loving sucked in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

Then again that whole movie sucked except for Alan Rickman and the Vogon costumes.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

If people can read them at face value, their bad jokes.

How is "That woman is so loving ugly!" a joke? Just because it's an obvious lie?

nobody is taking martin freeman saying lucy liu is a dog at face value unless they have some kind of cognitive impairment in which case they're the sort of person who would take Ken M posts very earnestly too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thanks farooq

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ulex minor posted:

nobody is taking martin freeman saying lucy liu is a dog at face value unless they have some kind of cognitive impairment in which case they're the sort of person who would take Ken M posts very earnestly too

He's a British man. I wouldn't expect him to know a good looking woman if she bit him in the dick.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Besesoth posted:

Seconded. Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu are strikingly effective as Holmes and Watson.

"Sherlock"'s only redeeming quality is that there's so little of it.

Elementary is just Numbers with a better cast.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I liked Numbers better when it was called Yu Yu Hakusho.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fruit on the bottom posted:

I liked Numbers better when it was called Yu Yu Hakusho.

I liked Yu Yu Hakusho better when it was called Bleach

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Who What Now posted:

I liked Yu Yu Hakusho better when it was called Bleach

I liked Bleach better when it was called Threes company.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CharlestheHammer posted:

I liked Bleach better when it was called Threes company.

I liked Three's Company better when it was called Man About the House.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

oldpainless posted:

Martin freeman drugs and rapes women

To be “fair,” that was apparently him talking about how Bilbo would score with an elf, not his personal real world behavior. Not really an excuse though, especially in 20-whatever-teen when he did the interview.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pieces of Peace posted:

To be “fair,” that was apparently him talking about how Bilbo would score with an elf, not his personal real world behavior. Not really an excuse though, especially in 20-whatever-teen when he did the interview.

I refuse to believe this

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Nuclear War posted:

Elementary is the Good Sherlock and I will fight anyone who argues

New season starts today and I am glad it is back.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Pieces of Peace posted:

Iirc he has said some crazy racist poo poo, which is why a lot of people were questioning why he was cast in Black Panther.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I have always, always hated this show, and always, always laughed that America did Sherlock Holmes better with Elementary. Using their own Brit!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, Elementary, an actual good show, is back on tonight with Season 6. And here's the thread.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got bored of Elementary but that was after watching nearly 50 episodes. The little arc they did with the British girl that was raped was well done. Is Clyde still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I got bored of Elementary but that was after watching nearly 50 episodes. The little arc they did with the British girl that was raped was well done. Is Clyde still alive?

Clyde is still alive and Kitty returned in a really interesting way that was handled well.

You did yourself a disservice by not waiting until Sherlock's dad showed up in Season 4, it was worth the buildup and he owns. :pusheen:

I'd rank the seasons as probably 4, 1, 3, 2, 5. Which is a weird pendulum, but none of the seasons are bad.