Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Wouldn't it be easier to use machinery to clean up "The Colonies" than dying women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to use machinery to clean up "The Colonies" than dying women?

The implication is that things are so completely hosed that they don't have that option.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Eh, that's actually super true to life. It's cheaper to treat addicts than jail them, to provide universal healthcare than a patchwork of private solutions, etc. But for weirdly moralistic reasons we choose the inefficient option to make sure everyone gets what they "deserve" or doesn't get what they don't.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were a meaningless Sisyphean task and just a flimsy pretense to work undesirables to death.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Ideological regimes don't care about what's practical.

It was practical to use jews as slaves. Nazis killed them anyway.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

CelestialScribe posted:

Ideological regimes don't care about what's practical.

It was practical to use jews as slaves. Nazis killed them anyway.

That's incorrect, they did use them for forced labour.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Owlbear Camus posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it were a meaningless Sisyphean task and just a flimsy pretense to work undesirables to death.

Seems like this is probably the case as we don't see them doing anything else that one might do to clean up the area; though I'm guessing what they're cleaning up is going to fall under some artistic license.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Do we know why the environment is the way it is? Like was there a nuclear event (seems like someone would've mentioned it by now if so) or is it more a pollution/climate change thing?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I would be bummed if Lydia was anything but a school teacher. Part of what makes me cringe about the show is that there are real women, and men, like Lydia who work in schools right now.

Crow Jane posted:

Do we know why the environment is the way it is? Like was there a nuclear event (seems like someone would've mentioned it by now if so) or is it more a pollution/climate change thing?
I feel like in the books, the colonies just existed from the assumption that there would be a poo poo ton of toxic waste in the future.

But the TV show is more of an alternate reality, so it would be nice if they explained what exactly happened.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Timeless Appeal posted:

I would be bummed if Lydia was anything but a school teacher. Part of what makes me cringe about the show is that there are real women, and men, like Lydia who work in schools right now.

She reminds me more of the strict nun type.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I could definitely see her as a Kim Davis type bureaucrat

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I definitely feel like Lydia worked with kids in some way.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like in the books, the colonies just existed from the assumption that there would be a poo poo ton of toxic waste in the future.

But the TV show is more of an alternate reality, so it would be nice if they explained what exactly happened.

Ive always assumed the military in charge of missile silos blew them up or something else to avoid the Sons of Jacob getting their hands on them.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I feel like in the book the people in the Colonies are cleaning up the toxic waste.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Far Cry 5 is a canon prequel to the show.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
They could be digging up soil that's been ruined by oil spills, animal waste, fracking wastewater, microplastics, the exploded tesla gigafactory, and/or nitrate salts, sending it to go get processed. There's any number of things that could have ruined whatever they're working on.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Alexis Bledel is definitely cleaning up radioactive waste, the containers they’re filling at the worksite were all marked radioactive. Probably somewhere in the Great Plains or west coast if I had to guess.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Monglo posted:

Concerning the non-rear end in a top hat men, a curious thing I've noticed, that every outsider character who has helped the main cast was a man. Im actually more curious about where are the non-rear end in a top hat women in this show? It's like all of them have been made handmaidens.

seems like that's a consequence of only men having the relative freedom to travel around and do things.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Burst out laughing when I saw Clea Duvall. Of course she's the wife lmfao

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

esperterra posted:

Burst out laughing when I saw Clea Duvall. Of course she's the wife lmfao

I think I feel about her how you felt about about Bledel. Almost twenty years later and I still just see her as the worst part of Carnivale.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Alexis Bledel is definitely cleaning up radioactive waste, the containers they’re filling at the worksite were all marked radioactive. Probably somewhere in the Great Plains or west coast if I had to guess.

Western U.S. was my guess too. We don't see them doing decontamination or anything other than shoveling but like I said before there's probably some creative license going on here.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

I think I feel about her how you felt about about Bledel. Almost twenty years later and I still just see her as the worst part of Carnivale.

Western U.S. was my guess too. We don't see them doing decontamination or anything other than shoveling but like I said before there's probably some creative license going on here.

I was thinking the south. I still don't believe Gilead controls the west coast.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PaybackJack posted:

I like this show but boy does it lean on the melodrama a lot. Add in all the graphic violence, replace the facism with zombies and you're practically in The Walking Dead territory.

Except Handmaid's Tale is well written and well acted, with a plot that makes sense, and generally a fantastic if incredibly dark show, whereas TWD is a festering pile of poo poo the likes of which hasn't been seen since the later seasons of Dexter

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

CelestialScribe posted:

I was thinking the south. I still don't believe Gilead controls the west coast.

When we see Luke in Canada, we get a glimpse of the US flag with 48 hollow stars and two solid ones (presumably Alaska and Hawaii). I took that to mean the lower 48 are all either Gilead or it's colonies by now.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PaybackJack posted:

I think it's the great plains. The top soil is radioactive, so they're using Unwomen to manually remove it so that the land can be re-inhabited, hence their radiation burns.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like the theory someone else posted that the us military detonated the nukes in their silos as a scorched earth policy mayb

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The tactical realism dork in me wants to say there's almost certainly plans to scuttle nukes without detonating the warhead or spreading radiation but its just a show and I should really just relax.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 1, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PaybackJack posted:

Funnily enough I think Carnivale was one of the last good things Duvall did. I looooove Clea Duvall, but I swear every time I see her pop up anywhere these days it's to be the wife of a main character who is a lesbian, and thus I laughed. Love Bledel, too, but I've never thought she could play more than Rory (which lol her flashbacks this episode were kind of just gay Rory) and I couldn't picture her as Ofglen at all, but goddamn did she ever surprise me and I hope she starts doing some good, serious poo poo after this. The last time I saw a hint of range from her was Mad Men and she wasn't in it for very long.

Been digging the new content so far, I was really happy with how they adapted the book for season 1 and sprinkled in the little changes or additions to help build toward this. I was extra pleased they didn't have Ofglen/Emily kill herself, though that also meant she wasn't as heavily involved in Mayday or didn't seem to be in the show, anyway-- that role was mostly given to the other girl whose name is eluding me now. I do wonder if they'll use this plot beat for her in the end, but it isn't quite the same if she isn't killing herself to keep from giving up any information on the resistance. Whatever fate they end up having in store for her as the show goes on, I'm just glad Bledel is sticking around in the role for now.

I was a little bothered by learning June's name so quickly, even if only b/c it's a nice little treat to be able to pick up the hint from reading, but with the show being expanded beyond the scope of just her mind and her story it makes sense to learn it so much sooner and so definitively. Though it could have worked well as a dramatic beat in a later episode where she or someone else uses her true name to good effect.

tbh I can't think of much I DIDN'T like about the first season (other than about 70% of the music choices) because most of the stuff I went in worried about-- Bledel as Ofglen, casting Serena Joy and Waterford so young-- ended up being my favourite parts of the adaptation. I'm hella excited to see more of the colonies and I would assume more of Canada this season, really happy Atwood is on board consulting again as they move further past the book.

e: i'm assuming book spoilers are mostly safe now we're past the events of it, but eh just to be safe in case they do decide to pluck out some of the beats they didn't use

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 1, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No new episode today???

THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES :mad:

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

precision posted:

No new episode today???

THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES :mad:

Aren't new episodes on Wednesdays?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Aren't new episodes on Wednesdays?

Midnight tonight. Dunno whether to watch it before bed and maybe have nightmares or watch it before work tomorrow and be in a weird paranoid mood all day :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ah my bad. They were on Tuesday last season (midnight Monday)

I'm just glad it wasn't because they aired two last week and were gonna skip this week.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Just watched episode 3. Well, poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Liveposting thoughts:

gently caress yeah training montage! what's this song, it's really good.

lmao Canada's fine, nobody bothered to nuke Canada even a little bit I guess.

oh man i really want to read every one of those articles she's posting up. give me all the lore.

Take Back The Night rally. :smith:

Nick and June's Infinite Playlist

okay I was really expecting Nick to say "Why don't you just ask me about the Sons of Jacob?" but I guess they probably already went over that in the 2 month time skip.

wait, how does Canada keep out Gilead spies? Like the gay army guy - how did they know he wasn't sent there by Gilead? Is there a screening process for men? And couldn't Gilead just send a True Believer woman anyway? I'm probably overthinking this aspect of it. Maybe Gilead doesn't care if Canada picks up what few strays get loose, since it keeps the rebellion outside its own borders?

oh no please don't let the nice old man be a bad guy :ohdear:

man i love how cynical this resistance is. "brave or stupid or both. lot of both."

oh wow wait so Gilead has a prole class? this is definitely turning into 1984. now i'm worried this kid ringing the bell literally summoned the guardians.

did they seriously just try to make us think june is gonna break up this couple come on now

Good lord there's still 30 minutes left? OK I'll :justpost: for now

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

Well, poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Elisabeth Moss' pregnancy prosthetics in this are better than her Mad Men ones

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

Elisabeth Moss' pregnancy prosthetics in this are better than her Mad Men ones

I had to check and make sure she wasn't actually pregnant. It looks extremely real.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Kanine posted:

gently caress :smith:
Yeah. Hell of a Mother's Day episode :v:

precision posted:

I had to check and make sure she wasn't actually pregnant. It looks extremely real.
Tbf the Mad Men one was basically just a regular fat suit with ugly clothes on top. Which was kind of the point, I guess

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'll give the recapture two episodes before I say "gently caress you show".

If she's back in the Waterford home and Season One status quo is returned by next episode, then I'll bump up my timeframe.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 2, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm almost certain she won't just go back to the Waterford house, she's going to get the treatment we saw earlier in the premiere

That said I think we'll be seeing Serena again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Even if she does go back to the Waterford house, it'll only be until the baby's weaned. The show skips months at a time, it could only be an episode or two before she's off to some new misery. Stick around for the "fun"!

I suppose she could lie her rear end off and claim that she'd been kidnapped or something, but I don't see anyone buying it.

• Locked thread