Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

ICHIBAHN posted:

I'm tremendously upset

Apologies to anybody else who is also upset, in that case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMducuXJeKg

This is what recently just set me off. The dude is literally being willfully r-word and then pulling a "dude don't be mad, I'm just asking questions" when faced with the reality that what he's saying is horseshit.

When I was looking to start jiu jitsu a few months ago I checked out the 10th planet website. The front page was a photo of a bunch of dudes, dressed as slackers, lounging on a couch with whiskey bottles everywhere.

I noped right out and found another gym.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Unfunny Poster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMducuXJeKg

This is what recently just set me off. The dude is literally being willfully r-word and then pulling a "dude don't be mad, I'm just asking questions" when faced with the reality that what he's saying is horseshit.

I just wanted to hear him talk about the submissions last night and a few clicks in trying to find the time he is ranting about Qanon. I turned it off after that.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Does anyone know what the options are for watching ACBJJ on 13 May? Is it on Flo or YouTube of something?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

butros posted:

Does anyone know what the options are for watching ACBJJ on 13 May? Is it on Flo or YouTube of something?

ACBJJ is free on youtube

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

For those interested, last nights Bellator fight had a lot more bjj than I expected.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neon Belly posted:

For those interested, last nights Bellator fight had a lot more bjj than I expected.

The main card featured two BJJ aces against vastly overmatched opponents (and the one making his MMA debut ((dillon danis iirc)) is going to get KTFO unless he works a ton on his striking), a gracie against a somewhat decent black belt (that he was ineffective against in rd 1 and then squashed in rd 2) and a loving sick standing arm triangle in basically the only evenly matched fight in the co-main.

The main event featured very little grappling outside of a dope rear end throw from Fedor and was primarily glass cannon Mir being Mir.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Don't forget Rafael Lovato with some super slick jits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

Don't forget Rafael Lovato with some super slick jits.

He was one of the ones I mentioned in a match against an overmatched opponent. 5 days before the fight, Gerald Harris was retired for the second time and never planned on fighting again. Sure he had a 25-5 record, but those wins are against basically no body. His last win against I name I recognized was in 2010. This was just as much a squash match for Lovato as the match for Danis to start the main card.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Is there any sort of exercise or something I can do to keep from getting rib injuries? I have at least a bruised rib, possibly broken. Second one in 6 months. Getting really frustrating.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

L0cke17 posted:

Is there any sort of exercise or something I can do to keep from getting rib injuries? I have at least a bruised rib, possibly broken. Second one in 6 months. Getting really frustrating.

I was really suffering my first couple of months but then I started exhaling (like when you're doing a heavy lift in the gym) and it buys me some time to get out of whatever they're doing to me.

Hope it's not broke.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Neiman Gracie is one of my teammates and morning no gi classmates and he is a loving beast. I started rolling with him back when we were both purple belts and rolling against him made me want to give back my purple. He also is scary when he rolls hard. He broke someone's trachea in training.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yuns posted:

Neiman Gracie is one of my teammates and morning no gi classmates and he is a loving beast. I started rolling with him back when we were both purple belts and rolling against him made me want to give back my purple. He also is scary when he rolls hard. He broke someone's trachea in training.

I mean the fact that he was up against a black belt is the only reason i dont completely consider his match a squash match like the other two. Even still he pretty much effortlessly schooled Torres in the second round despite ending in a stalemate in the first.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

L0cke17 posted:

I tend to feel the most soreness creeping in when I'm spending time in bottom side (which is most of the time if we're being honest). What's really helped me reduce rib soreness is is getting serious about my framing game.

Yuns posted:

He broke someone's trachea in training.

:stare:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Black belt instructor was a no call no show again this morning. The brown belt who was running class (is actually really good) made another brown belt so frustrated he literally stormed out. Gym culture is becoming borderline toxic. I'm like 80% to get my purple belt and switch gyms if nothing changes soon.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Quick question, what are the different bjj groups? The gym I train at has atos on everything. Are they (the groups) very different?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Quick question, what are the different bjj groups? The gym I train at has atos on everything. Are they (the groups) very different?

There's literally hundreds, if not thousands. Atos, Gracie Barra, Gracie Humaita, Alliance, RGA, 10th Planet, etc. are among the largest

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The groups affiliations are different wrt training and etiquette, but I wouldn't say the skill level is significantly different until you get up to higher level blue, purple, brown, and black belts.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are they teaching different things, or is bjj just bjj no matter where you go?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Are they teaching different things, or is bjj just bjj no matter where you go?

Fundamentals are fundamentals. Everyone has their own style and prefers different techniques at different levels.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

Fundamentals are fundamentals. Everyone has their own style and prefers different techniques at different levels.

Cool.

Anybody going to any fuji tournaments? I'm signing my kids up for gi and no gi for an upcoming one.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

wtf...

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

Holy poo poo. How does this practically work? Is it like an 80s action movie where you can't breathe at all?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I'll let Yuns go ahead with stories if there are any but I can confirm Neiman is very intense.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Holy poo poo. How does this practically work? Is it like an 80s action movie where you can't breathe at all?

Guillotine??

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Could see it happening with a paper cutter or short arm choke from the back or ezekiel I suppose

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The victim is a very good friend of mine and the cause was a short RNC snapped on so violently that it was like getting clotheslined in the throat. End result was serious throat damage and an inability to talk due to vocal cord damage which has gotten very slowly better over the years but might not ever fully heal. My buddy was very very luckily it wasn't more serious or else he could have had his airway collapse. I don't think his hyoid was fractured.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 1, 2018

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

The victim is a very good friend of mine and the cause was a short RNC snapped on so violently that it was like getting clotheslined in the throat. End result was serious throat damage and an inability to talk due to vocal chord damage which has gotten very slowly better over the years but might not ever fully heal. My buddy was very very luckily it wasn't more serious or else he could have had his airway collapse. I don't think his hyoid was fractured.

Jesus. Glad he's (for the most part) okay.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

Atos is headed by the awesome Andre Galvao and is full of world class competitors like Galvao and the Mendes brothers and Keenan.
Atos means you love jesus and dancing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stXDCRjTCeo

For some reason Atos is the only BJJ academy that has a prom/formal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2c5zENtrI0

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

The victim is a very good friend of mine and the cause was a short RNC snapped on so violently that it was like getting clotheslined in the throat. End result was serious throat damage and an inability to talk due to vocal cord damage which has gotten very slowly better over the years but might not ever fully heal. My buddy was very very luckily it wasn't more serious or else he could have had his airway collapse. I don't think his hyoid was fractured.

I actually have permanent vocal damage from BJJ, but it was because I slipped while passing and fell neck-first onto a planted knee. Couldn't talk for 24 hours, went to hospital but didn't get surgery, voice came back on its own, but I lost the top octave or so permanently. It doesn't bother my talking, but I can't sing. That's the first time I've heard of a similar injury from BJJ, though your friend's injury sounds much worse. I hope it keeps improving.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Other gym stereotypes:

10th Planet: home of Eddie Bravo and Joe Rogan, weed and conspiracy theories
Caesar Gracie: Home of the Diaz brothers, 209; Stockton, Dont Be Scared Homie!, and weed
Gracie Academy (Torrence): one of the originals; home of Rorian Gracie and pure water jiu jitsu and his two top acai salesmen Rener and Ryron,

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I actually have permanent vocal damage from BJJ, but it was because I slipped while passing and fell neck-first onto a planted knee. Couldn't talk for 24 hours, went to hospital but didn't get surgery, voice came back on its own, but I lost the top octave or so permanently. It doesn't bother my talking, but I can't sing. That's the first time I've heard of a similar injury from BJJ, though your friend's injury sounds much worse. I hope it keeps improving.

Jesus Christ. And I thought there was nothing that could happen to me in BJJ that would affect my work.

:cry:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

butros posted:

I tend to feel the most soreness creeping in when I'm spending time in bottom side (which is most of the time if we're being honest). What's really helped me reduce rib soreness is is getting serious about my framing game.

spacetoaster posted:

I was really suffering my first couple of months but then I started exhaling (like when you're doing a heavy lift in the gym) and it buys me some time to get out of whatever they're doing to me.

Hope it's not broke.

This time it was from one of the black belts sweeping me straight to knee on ribcage. Thankfully they were only ~140lbs so it could have been a lot worse.

I definitely need to work on my framing though, but in this particular instance it probably wouldn't have helped too much.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I had something similar happen from a too-fast RNC. I can't do falsetto anymore, but I can sing in other octaves.

I used to sing reasonably well :/ I keep trying, hoping that it'll come back with time.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I'm gonna crosspost this from ylls because I could use some advice.

I'm looking to transition out of starting strength to a lower lifting program for a few reasons. I did starting strength for the past 6 months and it's been very helpful. My current stats are as follows

Height 5'6"
Weight 202
Press 125x5
Clean 145x3
Bench 175x5
Squat 295x5
Deadlift 325x5
Pull-up 6, 5, 5

The reason I'm looking to do less is because I want to lose weight, but am concerned about losing too much muscle mass. I've dropped from 210 to 202 over the last two months and my target weight is 185. I've also been struggling with frequent lower back pain and have been going much lighter on squats and deadlifts as a result, the numbers posted are my max 5 reps from a month or so ago. I've also only been lifting ss twice weekly over the last month.

I'm really into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and am coming up on a year of training regularly. I want to compete soon, hence the goal of weight loss. I'd like to train bjj 4 times weekly and lift twice, with one day to rest. More than improving strength, I just want to maintain my gains while losing fat.

Is there anything I could do as far as routines that could meet my needs? I'm not sure what's available with only lifting twice a week. Any help would be appreciated.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Train more, lift less, do functional training and more cardio

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Macaroni Surprise posted:

I'm gonna crosspost this from ylls because I could use some advice.

I'm looking to transition out of starting strength to a lower lifting program for a few reasons. I did starting strength for the past 6 months and it's been very helpful. My current stats are as follows

Height 5'6"
Weight 202
Press 125x5
Clean 145x3
Bench 175x5
Squat 295x5
Deadlift 325x5
Pull-up 6, 5, 5

The reason I'm looking to do less is because I want to lose weight, but am concerned about losing too much muscle mass. I've dropped from 210 to 202 over the last two months and my target weight is 185. I've also been struggling with frequent lower back pain and have been going much lighter on squats and deadlifts as a result, the numbers posted are my max 5 reps from a month or so ago. I've also only been lifting ss twice weekly over the last month.

I'm really into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and am coming up on a year of training regularly. I want to compete soon, hence the goal of weight loss. I'd like to train bjj 4 times weekly and lift twice, with one day to rest. More than improving strength, I just want to maintain my gains while losing fat.

Is there anything I could do as far as routines that could meet my needs? I'm not sure what's available with only lifting twice a week. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm new to martial arts, but I've lived in the gym for years.

There's a million routines you can read about on these forums (fitness log cabin), but whatever you do, make sure your sleep and diet is right.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'm a 10p blue belt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone know anything bout the NextgenBJJ tournament series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If you're only lifting twice a week I would try to put 2 or 3 days of rest in between each session and try to do compound lifts and total body stuff. I would do something like:

Day 1
Deadlift 4×6 120 second rest
Bench Press either 4x8 60 seconds
Bent over Barbell Row 4x8 60 seconds rest
Standing Military Press or Shoulder Press 4×8 60 seconds
Box Jumps
Secondary arm work, core, whatever
Squat 4x8 90 seconds or 4x6 120 seconds

Day 2
Clean and Press 4x8 or 4x10 120 seconds
Lat pull down 4x8 60 seconds
Close grip pully row 4x8 60 seconds
Incline chest press 4x8 60 seconds
Fly 4x8 60 seconds
Box Jumps
Explosive work, secondary stuff, rotator cuff, whatever you need care and maintenance on.
Squats

Idk if that's optimized for BJJ but it's a maintenance program I use when I play soccer or have to travel for work and will.be only intermittently able to use the gym.