Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Voting ends in one hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

5 - What are they good for now?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Voting closed

Vote Count

Option 2: 8 votes

Option 3: 5 Votes

Option 5: Three different write ins, only one got more than one vote.

Option 2 wins

Update tomorrow morning.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 29, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Can we do 2 and 3? 3 is a thing we have worked out by observation.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Can we do 2 and 3? 3 is a thing we have worked out by observation.

I was debating about allowing it as a run off vote if Option 3 got a few more votes as I agree, the choices are complementary. However, the way approval voting is currently set up is that the single most popular option is chosen. Ill have a thread vote to see if people would like combinations to be a possibility in future votes.

For now at least, you will have to live in the shell hell of Jub's hut without letting your disgust be known.

Thread Opinion: In the future, if applicable, would you like the second most chosen option to influence the first? I am willing to allow it as long as it does not get too confusing.
Yea or Nay?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 29, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yea

Vote counting is obviously a finnicky art and it can pay sometimes to have hard and fast rules, but especially when the top options are pretty complimentary blending them together kinda like Diog does in Paradise Lost seems to be the best outcome.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

You recount what you have observed to Jub, almost blurting out your disgust of your surroundings but holding your tongue at the last moment.
He remains standing and listens, giving you his full attention while you describe each step. Your descriptions are fairly simple, only consisting of a series statements such as "You did this, and then that" though you did mention what you believe to be his reasoning behind discarding and sorting shells. Regardless of the simplicity of your description, however, Jub seems pleased by your ability to repeat back his actions to him, often nodding his head as you go along.
While you are talking a small swarm of crabs appears to investigate the shell shards at Jub's feet. He pays them no mind, focusing only on you.

After you are done Jub stands silently and appraises you for a moment before responding "Good, you have the eyes of an osprey, this will aid you in future lessons." He pauses for a moment. "Be wary of what your eyes tell you, sometimes they will lie." He reaches up and grabs a bundle of small smoked fish that was hanging from the ceiling, handing it to you. "Eat, heal, grow strong, you have many many lessons ahead of you, and you will never learn while the shark of hunger gnaws at you." Staring at the fish you suddenly realize how hungry you are and quickly devour them , bones and all. The taste and texture are strange to you but nice, smokey and slightly salty, with the skin having some nice crunch to it. You could get used to eating these you decide.

While you are eating Jub sweeps up the shell bags and departs through the huts sagging entrance, saying he will be back later at some point. He does not seem to care about what you choose to do in this time, likely guessing that you will stay in bed to rest. You take another moment to look around the hut. You are alone, besides the scuttling of the ever-present crabs.

What do you do with your time?

Option 1: You stay in bed to recover. You are sore, exhausted, and sunburnt. You pass out almost immediately. It has only been about a day since you were found and you still need time to rest and recover. You will likely wake up when Jub returns.

Option 2: You poke around Jub's hut, trying to see if there is anything that you can uncover with a more thorough observation of the hut. You are not sure what you will find in the mess but given how many objects and trash are scattered around you are sure you will find something if you look hard enough. You will continue searching until you find something, Jub comes home, or you feel like you have searched everywhere possible.

Option 3: You leave Jub's hut to explore the village. You do not like being kept inside all day and you might as well get to know the surrounding area and people. You will continue exploring until you get tired or it get's dark, whichever comes first. If this choice is chosen state if you will be focusing on interacting with people, exploring the area, or doing a bit of both.

Option 4: You leave Jub's hut to try to escape from the village. You do not like this new life, and want to try to find your way back home, wherever that may be. You are young, unfamiliar with your surroundings, and still recuperating from your ordeal.

Voting ends in 48 hours, thread opinion vote will also end at that time.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 29, 2018

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
We're tired, beat up and have just eaten a large meal. Let's get some rest and look at this situation in the morning with less tired eyes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If we wake up early then also 2

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1 sleep now, search with full acuity later.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
2, with the focus on what we can fix up. We've acknowledged that this place has some ... structural issues.

What do we know about ourselves?

Do we have basic skills for building shelters? Can we thatch? What do we bring to the table?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'd vote to start doing some home improvement but I'm pretty sure we're a half-dead child with no significant adult skills, much less the knowledge, resources, and physical aptitude to start repairing a hut all on our own while exhausted.

So 1, we really do need to rest.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Crazycryodude posted:

I'd vote to start doing some home improvement but I'm pretty sure we're a half-dead child with no significant adult skills, much less the knowledge, resources, and physical aptitude to start repairing a hut all on our own while exhausted.

So 1, we really do need to rest.

Are we? Are we adolescents? What's that mean on at this point in history?

What the gently caress else have we been doing with our lives prior to this? Constant maint. seems like something we should be familiar with since there's nothing else to do.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We have basically no memory of our previous life and I've been picturing us as like around 8 years old. Maybe that's wrong, I don't think it's been explicitly stated how old we are, but that's the impression I get.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Crazycryodude posted:

We have basically no memory of our previous life and I've been picturing us as like around 8 years old. Maybe that's wrong, I don't think it's been explicitly stated how old we are, but that's the impression I get.

I think you're right too, but I figure I'll throw something out there and get some confirmation.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What do we know about ourselves?

Do we have basic skills for building shelters? Can we thatch? What do we bring to the table?

The traumatic events around your arrival in the village, combined with your current general-near death state mean you currently do not remember anything specific outside a day or so ago. Past memories are hazy, though you do know that you are not originally from this tribe and that you supposedly have a family elsewhere. You remember your families voices, but not anything specific that they have said. You do not remember your original tribe-name, which is equally distressing.

Your sample size is one but you are slightly lighter then the people in this village.
You feel that, given Jub's praise, you are fairly good at observing and observational learning.
You seem to know just enough of shelter construction and maintenance to know that Jub's hut appears to be on the verge of collapse and that it could easily fit 2-3 more people inside. Other then that you are not sure if you would know where to start with repairs without bringing the whole thing down.
You know, looking at the hearth, that it will be burning for quite some time.
You do not like filthy huts. Especially ones filled with crabs.
Smoked fish is weird but you think it is good.
You hurt all over, you are exhausted, you are full.

Crazycryodude posted:

You do not know exactly how old you are. To give you, the reader, a rough picture of your capabilities and size, you are approximately seven years old. This should not be taken as a statement about your expected responsibilities or roles.

Ill answer anymore questions about things you might know about yourself. Keep in mind you are a castaway child who was found roughly a day ago after a tremendous storm season. You currently do not remember much.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Ok, so we're slight of build, probably didn't do a lot of schlepping poo poo around.
We can infer we typically didn't eat fish, so scratch sea-faring and river-folk for the most part.

How does our skin tone compare? Are we wearing anything significant? What are we wearing?

We have a common language, so trading might have been a commonality...

Do we have any interesting scars? Thinking scratches or bite marks from animals (animal husbandry?)

I'm very clearly throwing darts but there's clues here somewhere.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Ok, so we're slight of build, probably didn't do a lot of schlepping poo poo around.
We can infer we typically didn't eat fish, so scratch sea-faring and river-folk for the most part.

How does our skin tone compare? Are we wearing anything significant? What are we wearing?

We have a common language, so trading might have been a commonality...

Do we have any interesting scars? Thinking scratches or bite marks from animals (animal husbandry?)

I'm very clearly throwing darts but there's clues here somewhere.

Dart throwing is always allowed, you just might not get the answer you want or answer at all depending.

Jub is several shades darker then you, you are more of a medium tan while Jub is a deeper, darker, and richer color.

You are wearing what appears to be an animal hide shawl, though it has been perforated many many times so that is breathable and not too unbearable in the heat and humidity. Jub was wearing something similar. You do not know what animal the hide is from, it seems unfamiliar. The clothing was put on you sometime when you were unconscious and the style is unfamiliar.

You do not have any scars that you would deem interesting, you have the normal assortment of marks and scars that accumulate over childhood, such as a small burn scar on your left arm. You lack a reflective surface so your self examination is limited.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 30, 2018

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Thanks!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Voting ends in one hour!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Nap time!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Voting Closed

I will try to get an update up sometime tonight thought tomorrow morning is more likely.

Option 1 won! There will be a more detailed vote count later.

Edit:

Vote Count
Option 1: 11 votes
Option 2: 2 votes

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 2, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Update is going to have to be pushed back to sometime later today. Sorry, it is just that time of year again.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Telsa Cola posted:

Update is going to have to be pushed back to sometime later today. Sorry, it is just that time of year again.

Ah yes, the late lambing season. I understand if you need to be on hand to help the ewes.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

John_A_Tallon posted:

Ah yes, the late lambing season. I understand if you need to be on hand to help the ewes.

Thank you for your understanding, I shall name the first lamb after you.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I made the mistake of google image searching Jub Jub.

Turns out, there wasn't a single loving Ewok.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Telsa Cola posted:

What is it with accountants running CYOAs?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Outrail posted:

What is it with accountants running CYOAs?

Prior exposure to models run purely on execl macros

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Prior exposure to models run purely on execl macros

We've established TelsaCola is a sheep herder.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

John_A_Tallon posted:

We've established TelsaCola is a sheep herder.

or a farm-to-table sheep abortionist.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Having nothing else to do once Jub leaves, and exhausted from your ordeals you decide to head back to the bed and rest. Climbing in, you fall asleep as soon as your head hits the palm fronds.
You dream.

You dream of your mother. Her face is blurred and obscured but you know it is her from her voice and smell. You feel relaxed and safe with her.
"Little one, the time for sleep has come." You complain, telling your mother you are not tired. You feel your complaints would be taken much more seriously if you did not yawn in the middle of them. Your mother laughs and promises to tell you your favorite story to help you sleep. You grumble but head to your bedding, angry at your body for betraying you in your time of need. Settling in, you ask your mother to tell you about....

What story would you like to hear?
1: Tell me again how the People came to be. Where did we all come from?
2: Tell me again how the earth and skies came to be. Why does the Shattered One hide and weep?
3: Tell me again about Elder Animals mother. I swear I saw one outside the village today!

You wake up, feeling much better after some more sleep, though you are now hungry. Looking around, you realize that you have slept through all of the day and most of the night, only waking up when Jub returned to the hut. It takes him a moment to realize you are awake but when he does he hands you another bundle of fish which you promptly devour. He seems tired and worn, and as the firelight shifts in his direction you notice several small blood spatters on his clothes. He notices you staring and shakes his head "Axebeak got to Bah Te''s youngest on a hunt in the shrub lands. He will see another storm season, though he will have some hunting marks to remember it by, ornery beasts." Mumbling something about the son being a storming fool Jub sits by the hearth and eats his own meal. One, you note, made of smoked fish and freshly cooked meat. He sits in silence for a moment, watching crabs scurry after scraps, before turning to you. He appraises you silently for a moment before getting up and placing four bags by the bed. "If you feel able, your next lesson waits. Go to the beach at first light and collect four bags of clams while the tide is low." He makes a small indentation in the floor of the hut. "When you see this mark, dig swiftly and grab the clam when it appears". He sits with his back facing the hearth and waits for your response.

How do you respond?
A: Refuse, you still feel too exhausted to be doing any work outside. You tell Jub that you would like to rest more.
B: Refuse, you will not be spending your first day on your feet digging in the muck. You tell Jub as much.
C: Accept, you feel well enough to accept Jub's task. You tell Jub you will attempt to do the task.
D: Haggle, you feel well enough to do something but not digging in the sand. You ask if there is anything else you can do.

If you have any questions for Jub you may ask them now. Keep in mind he is quite tired.

Vote ends in 48 hours

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 3, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

1C, but I'll leave formulating questions to people not about to fall asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1C

Have you seen people like me before? Have you travelled to where I might be from?

• Locked thread