Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey, MGS, thanks for that post. Very informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thank you for that post, it's very informative.

Another reason Sena is the best motorbike cam, it mounts in the safest possible spot. https://imgur.com/3XOAM17

Edit: Bicycle dudes, https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/news/10-things-to-know-about-mips-in-bicycle-helmets

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 30, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d feel stupid if I mounted a camera there and got brain damage in a one‐in‐five‐hundred scenario.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Platystemon posted:

I’d feel stupid if I mounted a camera there and got brain damage in a one‐in‐five‐hundred scenario.

If you got brain damage, you might not have the ability to feel stupid, so go right ahead :v:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

This is my dad. :ohdear: Really glad he doesn't ride anymore.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Thank you for that post, it's very informative.

Another reason Sena is the best motorbike cam, it mounts in the safest possible spot. https://imgur.com/3XOAM17

Edit: Bicycle dudes, https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/news/10-things-to-know-about-mips-in-bicycle-helmets

I love that helmet if that's a real design. Yeah, nearly half of all first-contact points with the ground are on your chin. Motorcyclists with 3/4 helmets are wack.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
This is cool and all but why has no helmet manufacturer, bike or motorcycle, marketed a helmet with cams embedded internally? Seems like a clear bubble integrated into the helmet, like the cockpit of a P-51, could house an internal cam and still provide slide ability.

Dammit nobody better steal my patent.

Of course I also want to know why no car manufacturer includes an integrated front/back cam recording ability. Heck the cameras are there, just include SD recording in the headunit. What are they worried about the dashcam mafia coming after them?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There have been motorcycle helmets with integrated cameras. They tend to not sell well due to the camera usually being a generation behind, or increasing weight through batteries, or just generally increasing the cost of the helmet that may not even fit you correctly.

Each major manufacturer tends to have a "head shape" they cater to, intentionally or not. This is picked up on by big review sites, like https://www.webbikeworld.com/ , and really hugely influences a lot of purchasing. If they made a camera integrated helmet, it would be higher cost and cater to a smaller slice of the market. Sure, GMAX or Shoei may have a camera in their awesome superfast latest helmet design, but what if your head is really a better fit in a HJC or Bell? Or what happens when your helmet hits end-of-life, due to a crash or just age? That's a lot of tech down the toilet.

Instead, camera and helmet manufacturers should come upon a semi-standard, like they have for bluetooth systems. A lot of helmets have appropriate pockets in the foam around the ears for speakers, and intentionally make space for microphones and the bluetooth unit near the front inner chin area. That's a kind of synergy that took a lot of years to reach. But, until the industry can decide on a proper spot for a low-profile camera (rear corner of the visor seems like a nice compromise, even though I'm still against attaching poo poo to your helmet), a standard camera size, etc, you're not going to see a lot of progress.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I love that helmet if that's a real design. Yeah, nearly half of all first-contact points with the ground are on your chin. Motorcyclists with 3/4 helmets are wack.

It's fine, their face is a crumple zone.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I found the camera mount in my helmet packaging, it is literally a break-away GoPro mount for the top of the helmet. So apparently Bell thinks it is safe enough (I mean, looks like 2% chance to hit that area and it pops away anyways)?

I guess if the only "safer" options are to use the top-of-the-head-breakaway or just handlebar-mount it, I'd probably go with handlebars because the helmet sounds like it would have atrocious aerodynamics.

For what it's worth the couple of times I've wiped on a bicycle it's been jaw/cheeks area, which is why I sprung for the chin-guard helmet. The Bell 3R was designed in a way that I still have 100% visibility; I can't see the chinguard or sides of the helmet in my peripheral at all.

edit: Also, I'm a Boston bike commuter, if we're going by common bike deaths in this area, then the camera/helmet won't factor much when the city bus runs over my skull.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 30, 2018

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

I found the camera mount in my helmet packaging, it is literally a break-away GoPro mount for the top of the helmet. So apparently Bell thinks it is safe enough (I mean, looks like 2% chance to hit that area and it pops away anyways)?

I guess if the only "safer" options are to use the top-of-the-head-breakaway or just handlebar-mount it, I'd probably go with handlebars because the helmet sounds like it would have atrocious aerodynamics.

For what it's worth the couple of times I've wiped on a bicycle it's been jaw/cheeks area, which is why I sprung for the chin-guard helmet. The Bell 3R was designed in a way that I still have 100% visibility; I can't see the chinguard or sides of the helmet in my peripheral at all.

edit: Also, I'm a Boston bike commuter, if we're going by common bike deaths in this area, then the camera/helmet won't factor much when the city bus runs over my skull.

Or a semi. On Mass Ave.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Helmet mounted cameras DO increase the incidence of spinal injury. Above "marginal" enough that we're trained to take extra c-spine precaution on a (motor)cyclist MVA with a camera or mount present versus one without. I mean, there's a reason helmets are made out of polycarbonate and as thin as possible: they slide instead of roll, and they keep the leverage length as short as possible. Also, a random rock kicked up, or a bird flying low across the road (pheasants :argh:) can kick your head back with a lot more leverage on the end of a camera bar versus on your helmet itself.

Hmmm. Like spog, I had considered the mount acting as a punch and going through the chinbar, but I hadn't considered it catching something and yanking my head around. Maybe I'll break out the chest harness again.

I also ordered a Fly12 thanks to this thread, though I encounter a lot more sketchy poo poo on the motorcycle than I ever have on my bicycle commute (thanks, dedicated bike paths!).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Luxury sedans are the enemy :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7rQBND9Zc

Wow my reaction time looks like poo poo from the camera's POV. I think they were behind my A column for the first part of the turn.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fats posted:

(thanks, dedicated bike paths!).

Weirdly enough, around here there still are a lot of pedestrians that manage to wander all over those, completely unawares - despite the fact that there is another path parallel to the one they're on, but with more pedestrians. The giant painted signs on the path surface might give it away, but so far I have never seen anyone care.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

On a long road trip my wife and I came upon a motorcyclist who had struck a deer. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet but struck the pavement (and maybe his bike) with his chin. He was barely breathing and obviously seriously injured. He died a few days later in the hospital.

Wear a full face helmet if you ride. You may think other drivers are what you need to watch out for, but nature can take you out just as easily.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nocheez posted:

On a long road trip my wife and I came upon a motorcyclist who had struck a deer. He was wearing a 3/4 helmet but struck the pavement (and maybe his bike) with his chin. He was barely breathing and obviously seriously injured. He died a few days later in the hospital.

Wear a full face helmet if you ride. You may think other drivers are what you need to watch out for, but nature can take you out just as easily.

I've seen a picture of a dude who hit a deer while wearing no helmet and the antlers pierced his skull.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Wow my reaction time looks like poo poo from the camera's POV. I think they were behind my A column for the first part of the turn.

I love your posts now because you and I seem to drive around the same places and I like figuring out where they are. So far, both have been in terrible spots.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Meydey posted:

Of course I also want to know why no car manufacturer includes an integrated front/back cam recording ability. Heck the cameras are there, just include SD recording in the headunit. What are they worried about the dashcam mafia coming after them?

GM is already there on the Corvette and Camaro. Though the picture quality looks pretty terrible, but you can do multiple data overlays for track days, or no overlays for a cruise.

Takes No Damage posted:

That intersection, and the northbound one just past it (at 75) are my mortal enemies. (so is the red light camera at Mockingbird and 75... only red light camera ticket I've ever had :argh:)

Also hate the intersection at NW Highway and Shady Brook, but more because (a) I hate delivering in The Village, and going through that intersection means I've just wasted 10-20 minutes getting lost in there, and (b) the northbound light only lets a few cars through at a time.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I had my windshield replaced, and lost the windshield mount for my blacksys CF-100 in the process. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

no-one?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I keep meaning to check the SD card on my Mobius and finally doing so just realized it hasn't recorded anything since 2017. Dammit. Check your cards people.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

STR posted:

Also hate the intersection at NW Highway and Shady Brook, but more because (a) I hate delivering in The Village, and going through that intersection means I've just wasted 10-20 minutes getting lost in there, and (b) the northbound light only lets a few cars through at a time.

Delivering to the Village? Try living there :( I just moved across the complex so now I go out Lovers to get to 75, before that I went out Shady Brook and yeah, if there were more than 2 cars in front of me I already knew I wasn't going to turn left until the next green arrow. It doesn't help that there's a dip/bump right where the roads meet that acts like a speed bump so everyone putters through that intersection at 5mph. In the mornings that entire road is backed up with people waiting to get through.

vvvvv Hah, my new complex does that. Half is addressed to the street on the south side, the other half to the street on the east side. I used to work for AT&T and some of the addresses we had for neighborhood phone boxes were... creative, to say the least.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 3, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah if it's anywhere near rush hour, I escape via Lovers or Skillman.

The best part is some of the buildings there have two street addresses... one for each side with entrances. Not many, but some. Google Maps is pretty useless in that whole area, except for that one newer complex with street names within the complex. The one next to it at least has signs telling you which way to go for various street addresses/building #s.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I keep meaning to check the SD card on my Mobius and finally doing so just realized it hasn't recorded anything since 2017. Dammit. Check your cards people.

Silicon Power seems to have one of the cheapest high endurance cards, and have favorable reviews. They'll also warranty them even when used in a dashcam, unlike Sandisk. That's what I'm running now.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Krispy Wafer posted:

No problem here!

I live on a rough dirt road and I have to empty mine every week because of the 'SOS' files. Any way to turn down the gravometric sensor?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cartoon posted:

No problem here!

I live on a rough dirt road and I have to empty mine every week because of the 'SOS' files. Any way to turn down the gravometric sensor?

every camera i have owned has the ability to set the sensitivity up or down.

I had the same problem due to coilovers in my old car (10/6KG springs) even on the lowest G sensor setting.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You could email their support and ask about buying one:
http://www.blacksys.co.kr/eng/other/contact.php

I'd probably try to 3d print one but I'm a huge nerd. I don't know which would fit correctly but people have made a ton of dashcam mounts on thingiverse. I'd imagine that blacksys probably uses something somewhat universal rather than make their own mounting mechanism:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=dashcam+mount&sa=&dwh=675aea9a41e6852

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Local subreddit delivers again, 4runner brake checks a van causing a :tubular: wuhwuhwuhwuhWIPEOUT :krakken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt7koAUph6Q

Remember your space cushion kids, one car length for every 10 mph :corsair:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like the 4Runner cut off the van before the brake check, you can see it's straddling both lanes just as it comes into view.

The reddit hivemind seems to agree.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Van probably deserved it for left lane camping. Everyone that drives on I20 is the worst.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I wouldn't say causing an accident (one that very nearly turned into multiple vehicles) is "deserving it", even for camping. That could have easily turned into a 5 car pileup with fatalities instead of a single vehicle accident; everyone on 20 is doing 85+ on that stretch most days. It would get ugly real quick.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Dashcam Thread: Everyone is an rear end in a top hat

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Van probably deserved it for left lane camping. Everyone that drives on I20 is the worst.

He wasn't camping the left lane though. He was legit passing the brown car to his right. Well, he was until the 4runner road raged at not being given room and brake checking him.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Big Taint posted:

Dashcam Thread: Everyone is an rear end in a top hat

Yeah, this. The best comment on the dallas subreddit about that video was "everyone's a dick".

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Have lived in DFW for over 20 years, can confirm. Everybody behind the wheel is actively trying to kill you. Especially on 20 and 635.

My lease here is up a week and 21 years after I first moved to DFW. Finally escaping this place.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sort of related to the topic: Does anyone have a recommendation on a good quality reverse camera system?

Rear vision out of my current car is garbage (2010 Mitsubishi Evo X) and as such I have reversed it into several things. on top of that my new house has a steep driveway that is best reversed into and a camera is becoming more important than I originally suspected.

the Previous Owner had a camera hooked up to the head unit, but he took the head unit out and replaced it with a new one that is not a colour LCD display (thank god) so I was looking at after market display options. Anyway, the camera is there and wired in, so I just need a display.

I think the best method is one of those clip on rear view mirrors, but they all seem to be low-rent chinese stuff. Is there any good quality ones on the market to look out for?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Any reason in particular you want the backup camera separate from the head unit? Is this a factory or aftermarket camera?

The in-mirror stuff tends to be pretty lovely is absolute garbage outside of OEM. A double DIN radio with a large screen is generally your best option, outside of something specialized (like what tow or repo companies use). There's a good reason car makers integrate this stuff with the radio.

This thread will probably be more appropriate.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 7, 2018

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I want to avoid a lcd head unit because they are all terrible displays outside of Apple CarPlay units and all the Apple CarPlay head units except one done have a physical volume knob, and that one i have experienced in a friends car and didn't like the way it sounded or the UI on the headunit (and CarPlay is pointless without wireless CarPlay, which that model is not). Also super expensive only to wind up in some yearly/bi-yearly hardware upgrade cycle to get new features and maintain compatibility.

I also wear polarised sunglasses so it's a 50/50 chance I'd even be able to use the LCD if I had one installed.

The high contrast nature of a dot matrix display like the one in my head unit is perfectly fine for my needs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bad news, pretty much every single aftermarket head unit (and most factory ones) out there uses LCD tech of some sort, unless it's OLED. LCDs rely on a polarizing layer to function. This includes a dollar store calculator. Unless it's a VFD, pretty much any non-static display in your car is guaranteed to be LCD. The only VFDs I can think of that still pop up in current vehicles are Toyota's dash clocks, and that's really a bit of a running joke in the car community - everybody swears Toyota bought a literal boatload of VFDs to use until the end of the world. </s>

The fact that you can even read your current radio with your sunglasses on means it's VFD, OLED, or the polarizing layer happens to align with your sunglasses. Next time you walk into a restaurant with menus presented on TVs, tilt your head to the side. See how everything disappears? Walk out to your car. Tilt your head the same way while looking at the displays. HOLY poo poo EVERYTHING JUST DISAPPEARED, DIDN'T IT?! Oh wait, some of them just went black, right?

As someone that also prefers polarized sunglasses, I feel your pain to an extent, but ruling out everything with "LCD" is eliminating pretty much, well, loving everything. Pioneer used to use OLED a lot in their high end stereos, but it was nowhere near picture quality. Getting an AMOLED display in a car stereo at a reasonable price is a long ways off - you can get AMOLED in a lot of phones, but you're spending a small fortune to do so. The bulk of the cost of your iPhone is the AMOLED display.

Unless you find a way to hook your camera up to a CRT (which is very possible if it's aftermarket, but do you really want to hang an 80s clunky CRT off of your dash?), you're stuck with some form of LCD for the immediate future. Try taking off the sunglasses for a moment. That dot matrix display is still LCD, the pixels are just massive instead of tiny...

Take a look at Kenwood and Pioneer CarPlay head units. Those are generally the two good brands to follow; Alpine is also solid. You're going to empty your wallet to find a quality CarPlay unit; you need to find some good car audio shops if you want to see this stuff in person - you'll need to see how well they work with your phone (and your glasses), in person.

tl;dr your dot matrix is still LCD, it just happens to agree with the polarizing layer in your glasses. Lift the glasses for a moment while backing up (sorry, reversing).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 7, 2018

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah I didn't need baby's first lesson on polarised lenses, I'm fully aware of what my current headunit has and is capable of (and the significant drop in brightness and contrast when viewed through my own glasses)

I just don't like full colour displays and would like to avoid them - I don't want a touch screen in the car for controlling poo poo since my cars steering wheel controls are limited to volume and source/track, and I prefer the function of a volume knob over buttons. Full colour head units are also expensive when all I need is a screen to show the reverse camera.

I'm not sure how you ended up at installing a CRT display but all I asked was "what's the best non-headunit method of viewing a reverse camera" not "here's my unreasonable list of demands for a mythical head unit to suit my specific needs"

My previous headunit was an alpine IDA-X100 and it's colour LCD display was almost unreadable in daylight with sunglasses on WITH the polarising lining up favourably, and half the reason I wanted to get away from that setup on my next car.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
OEM units aren't very readable in sunlight, either. The solution is to tint your windows.

Your best bet for a good reverse camera display is a head unit designed to work with CarPlay/Android Auto. They're already designed to mount in a car, have the right 12v power supply hookups, are probably easy to trigger when you put your transmission in reverse, etc.

You're going to have to choose a decent backup camera display or the volume knob; unless you're an electrical wizard and can modify a more universal knob to trigger the right resistance values on the harness with your steering wheel buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I on the other hand would like babby's first lesson in polarization if anyone has a link handy, please don't type it up on my account though. I fell in love with polarized lenses as soon as I had a pair, but while I get the basics of linearly-polarized filters I still don't get why gas pumps get illegible but not black, and lovely monitors are readable with my head upright while any slightly better tier of monitor will instead be black with my head upright and become visible when I tilt my head. A good friend of mine got a Volvo with HUD and had to choose between polarization and being able to use the HUD, but in that case the angles make sense as to why the light would need to be polarized one way for the HUD and the exact other angle for sunglasses to reduce glare.