Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How did Billy become a doctor anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

SlothfulCobra posted:

He was just really smart and self taught. Then the investors gave him an actual degree and license (i think) when he put King Gorilla's heart into Monstroso.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

SlothfulCobra posted:

Monstroso arranged it in exchange for Billy performing a heart transplant operation on him. The episode is http://teamventure.org/vbwiki/The_Silent_Partners .

Looking at the episode synopsis, it says that the doctor who asked about Billy's background information is a Dr. Odinson...is that actually stated in the episode? If so, it sounds like a reference to Thor's original alter ego on Earth Dr. Donald Blake.

...which, in turn, would be another super deep cut comic book reference from the Jackson and Doc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Billy's kind of a funny case given he was taken for a child prodigy (and basically kidnapped by Pete) but struggled when put into a university environment that wasn't based on just memorised trivia, then there's a bit of a gap between that and being the Venture family's resident doctor, basically. (and iirc, Pete White is a pretty good computer scientist, at least in being well beyond the surprisingly tech-illiterate adult cast, but doesn't seem to keep in practice. Hell, the pirate captain is more useful at the software company than he is) I figure there was a lot of offscreen misadventures and opportunities to learn by trial and error on various unfortunate subjects. He was already skilled enough to pass as a doctor at a prestigious hospital until they started checking his credentials, though we haven't heard much of whether he actually made use of the forged degree and license Monstroso gave him. (Presuming SPHINX let him keep it, hard to tell with that lot)

Billy and Pete didn't really tag along much with Rusty's escapades with only a few exceptions, right? (Spanikopita!) They do at least qualify as a protagonist duo in presumably the Level 1 rank of the Guild heirarchy, but otherwise they seem to mostly get involved in shenanigans in and around the Venture compound (and now VenTech) which, to be fair, is quite a lot.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Billy's kind of a funny case given he was taken for a child prodigy (and basically kidnapped by Pete) but struggled when put into a university environment that wasn't based on just memorised trivia, then there's a bit of a gap between that and being the Venture family's resident doctor, basically. (and iirc, Pete White is a pretty good computer scientist, at least in being well beyond the surprisingly tech-illiterate adult cast, but doesn't seem to keep in practice. Hell, the pirate captain is more useful at the software company than he is) I figure there was a lot of offscreen misadventures and opportunities to learn by trial and error on various unfortunate subjects. He was already skilled enough to pass as a doctor at a prestigious hospital until they started checking his credentials, though we haven't heard much of whether he actually made use of the forged degree and license Monstroso gave him. (Presuming SPHINX let him keep it, hard to tell with that lot)

Billy and Pete didn't really tag along much with Rusty's escapades with only a few exceptions, right? (Spanikopita!) They do at least qualify as a protagonist duo in presumably the Level 1 rank of the Guild heirarchy, but otherwise they seem to mostly get involved in shenanigans in and around the Venture compound (and now VenTech) which, to be fair, is quite a lot.

The Doc pretty much just calls Pete/Billy when he is in over his head and wants some help that he doesn't have to pay.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're best friends.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You love that headboard!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oily garbage bag.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I MISUNDERSTOOD THE QUESTION

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Dustbuster with corner attachment.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
That... sounds dangerous.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're best friends.

Yeah. "Friends." "FRIENDS."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Yeah. "Friends." "FRIENDS."

I still can’t tell if they’re being coy about being a couple or what. I just watched last season again and there’s a lot of pussyfooting around. Either that or i don’t get nuance at all anymore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TK-42-1 posted:

I still can’t tell if they’re being coy about being a couple or what. I just watched last season again and there’s a lot of pussyfooting around. Either that or i don’t get nuance at all anymore.

as far as I can tell they're a couple just not a gay couple. you know, like jay and silent bob

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

That’s the read I got. That they’re just platonic life partners and people around them just assume. But I figured I was also probably missing something because i’m an idiot.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TK-42-1 posted:

That’s the read I got. That they’re just platonic life partners and people around them just assume. But I figured I was also probably missing something because i’m an idiot.

No, that's pretty explicitly it. We've seen Billy express an interest in women and I believe we've seen Pete trying to hit on Dr. Mrs. the Monarch. They're just really close friends/bromance/whatever you want to call non-sexual/romantic male love. But Billy's mom just kind of assumes and he doesn't care to correct her.

I think what's more interesting is despite her age and otherwise conservative seeming values (rock music is the devil!) Ms. Whelan seems entirely supportive and accepting of Billy's (presumed) homosexuality.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

No, that's pretty explicitly it. We've seen Billy express an interest in women and I believe we've seen Pete trying to hit on Dr. Mrs. the Monarch.

bisexuality exists

Like, I'm not shipping or arguing for any interpretation of Billy and Pete's relationship, but bisexuality exists.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The cute moment was how Pete gets mad at first at Billy for telling his mom they were partners and when they meet Billy's mom, she says something along the lines of and you must be the handsome boyfriend and Pete looks at Billy.. you told her I"m handsome?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

DoctorWhat posted:

bisexuality exists

Like, I'm not shipping or arguing for any interpretation of Billy and Pete's relationship, but bisexuality exists.

Oh, yeah, no, totally. And, I mean, the show even has bisexual characters. But all the characters on the show that misinterpret their relationship seem to accuse them of being gay, not of being bi.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's one of those things that also doesn't really matter, in the sense that it actually changes nothing.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
It's funnier if they're straight, so I like that one.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Shindragon posted:

The cute moment was how Pete gets mad at first at Billy for telling his mom they were partners and when they meet Billy's mom, she says something along the lines of and you must be the handsome boyfriend and Pete looks at Billy.. you told her I"m handsome?

This scene is why they are straight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It is strongly implied Billy's mom is Triple Threat, she's been hanging with Team Venture since the old days and knows Colonel Gentleman, I think she'd by used to it. Also Broadway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love any time Col Gentlemen says "Rodney!"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is strongly implied Billy's mom is Triple Threat, she's been hanging with Team Venture since the old days and knows Colonel Gentleman, I think she'd by used to it. Also Broadway.

It's not implied. She is Triple Threat. That's not news at all.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Eat the pennies, Quizboy

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Sockser posted:

Eat the pennies, Quizboy

Easily my favorite non-phantom-limb-arch line of the whole show

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not implied. She is Triple Threat. That's not news at all.

I don't think it's actually been stated out loud, though of course it's obvious.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think it's actually been stated out loud, though of course it's obvious.

Yeah they do when she fights alongside old team venture then tries to lie to Billy about it by saying that she was a dancer in gargantua 2.

Also whatever flashback where action man and col. gentleman have their love interests pop out they acknowledge it's rose.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

“go all animal on her and show her my filth” is such a good line

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My favorite action man bit is they kept orpheus’ prediction from season one.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Nice! posted:

My favorite action man bit is they kept orpheus’ prediction from season one.

Funny that since Orpheus never specified WHO would die from the stroke it gave them an out from killing off Action Man while avoiding having to ignore it completely

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

drrockso20 posted:

Funny that since Orpheus never specified WHO would die from the stroke it gave them an out from killing off Action Man while avoiding having to ignore it completely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kXiVSYmC0g&t=69s
Looks pretty specific to Action man?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

I think it's one of those things that also doesn't really matter, in the sense that it actually changes nothing.

it's funnier if they sleep in the same bed not because of any sexual or romantic reason, but because they're manchildren who spend their irregular earnings on collectible toys and gimmick robots and they are forced to cohabitate out of a combination of poverty and mutual dependence (back when they lived in a trailer in the desert, and not in venture's skyscraper)

although didn't brock pretty much scare the dickens out of pete into taking care of billy after the OSI was done with him?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much, yeah. Pete's basically been a substitute parental figure or maybe big brother for Billy all these years. Plus they have Pete keep an eye on Billy for whenever he starts to remember how bad the OSI screwed him over.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
One of those little moments you don't think about is how many people's death sentence got signed when OSI learned that the memory wipe device is really only temporary.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

reignofevil posted:

One of those little moments you don't think about is how many people's death sentence got signed when OSI learned that the memory wipe device is really only temporary.

Looking at the potter's field in Rusty's backyard I don't think it's that many more then the usual game between the Guild and OSI. And it's probably not that many people honestly because the improved memory wipe is quite effective on Hank and Dean. And Shoreleave too!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

OGS-Remix posted:

Looking at the potter's field in Rusty's backyard I don't think it's that many more then the usual game between the Guild and OSI. And it's probably not that many people honestly because the improved memory wipe is quite effective on Hank and Dean. And Shoreleave too!

Time will tell.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

When did they find out it was temporary?

If you're talking about Billy's flashback, it's important to remember that when his memory was wiped, the technology was new and he was one of the early guinea pigs. And, he hurt his head, which is what led to the flashback because of the Rule Of Head Injuries And Memory Interactions. I don't think anyone else's memories have spontaneously come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

tarlibone posted:

When did they find out it was temporary?

If you're talking about Billy's flashback, it's important to remember that when his memory was wiped, the technology was new and he was one of the early guinea pigs. And, he hurt his head, which is what led to the flashback because of the Rule Of Head Injuries And Memory Interactions. I don't think anyone else's memories have spontaneously come back.

He didn't get his memory back from hitting his head, it was his robotic hand which was the memory storage for the video he was getting through his cyber-eye which was sucked out from that experiment that went wrong.