Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Phi230 posted:

It's a good thing the show is done after this season and that these dumb goon anthology ideas aren't coming to pass

Its adapting a book, not a pulp magazine, any future anthology would be poo poo, like game of thrones after they stopped adapting the books

poo poo yeah you're right, there probably aren't any other books or real life stories they could use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bligh's story of the mutiny on the Bounty and the subsequent many thousand mile voyage over open sea in a tiny boat is a story stranger than fiction.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Bligh's story of the mutiny on the Bounty and the subsequent many thousand mile voyage over open sea in a tiny boat is a story stranger than fiction.

Men Against the Sea was a great read. How they only lost a few men is absolutely ridiculous.

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Who's in the bag?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Thoughts on Ep7:

Loved the haunting scenes leaving the ship and making the final log entries!

Likewise, Goodsir's panic attack was well-acted, I thought.

gently caress that rocky hell hole island. I would want nothing to do with that place...

Also :tviv: drat, Hickey. :smith:

JustinMorgan posted:

Who's in the bag?

:dogbutton:

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
This is one of the best new shows I've seen in a while. I get anxious watching it - not even because of the supernatural threat, but just the horror of that voyage. I wouldn't want to do that trip even with modern equipment. The acting is also great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show is phenomenal but I have to turn on closed captioning to understand half of what they say. That isn't exactly a criticism.

I watch it with my daughter and she let me tell her a "spoiler" that they only relatively recently identified Mr Goodsir's remains. I found it humorous that she was disappointed. She said he is her favorite character. I don't think she understood the significance of the first episodes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wormil posted:

I watch it with my daughter and she let me tell her a "spoiler" that they only relatively recently identified Mr Goodsir's remains. I found it humorous that she was disappointed. She said he is her favorite character. I don't think she understood the significance of the first episodes.

we are gone! dead and gone

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So Jeffery Dahmer is the reincarnation of Mr. Hickey. Good to know.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Shitenshi posted:

So Jeffery Dahmer is the reincarnation of Mr. Hickey. Good to know.

Didn't look like he was eating them, but it was definitely premeditated, imo, because he stripped his uniform so he wouldn't get any blood on it.

Honestly, for half a second I forgot everyone is going to die and had a bit of hope when they found the Eskimo party.
:smith:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

gently caress that rocky hell hole island. I would want nothing to do with that place...

Even in the modern day Prince William is a pretty harsh environment.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
I just watched Ep 7 and holy poo poo, talk about a slow burn. This show has a huge cast even after six episodes of picking people off, but everyone brought their A game to this one. I read the novel on vacation a couple of years ago and thought it was entertaining if nothing special, but transmuted to film with these performances (and a bunch of well-judged narrative adjustments) it's so much better than the source material. Goodsir, Hickey, Crozier and Fitzjames were standouts but what a chilling, moving ensemble performance from everyone. I kept rewinding to rewatch scenes and catch all the subtleties.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jikes posted:

I just watched Ep 7 and holy poo poo, talk about a slow burn. This show has a huge cast even after six episodes of picking people off, but everyone brought their A game to this one. I read the novel on vacation a couple of years ago and thought it was entertaining if nothing special, but transmuted to film with these performances (and a bunch of well-judged narrative adjustments) it's so much better than the source material. Goodsir, Hickey, Crozier and Fitzjames were standouts but what a chilling, moving ensemble performance from everyone. I kept rewinding to rewatch scenes and catch all the subtleties.

My only criticism beyond not understanding much of the dialogue, is that they are increasingly acting like it is a mild spring day compared to the literal -170 to -100 degrees in the book. Haven't gotten to Hicky sunbathing and getting all stabby in the book yet, but unless it suddenly became warm (which would make me personally haul rear end back to the ships) then the show is being silly.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 2, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Didn't look like he was eating them, but it was definitely premeditated, imo, because he stripped his uniform so he wouldn't get any blood on it.

Honestly, for half a second I forgot everyone is going to die and had a bit of hope when they found the Eskimo party.
:smith:

I haven’t read the book, so I was kind of assuming at least a few of the crew would just take up with the Eskimos and not go back to civilization or something.

When Irving met the Eskimo party and went back to tell Hickey and the other guy the news, I don’t think I’ve ever gone :toot: to :aaa: so fast.

I’m curious if they established Hickey as being an imposter that stole the enlistment papers in the book ? I’m assuming they added that bit in to like, not offend any of his descendants?

‘My great-great-great Uncle wasn’t a murderous cannibal!’

‘Uhhh... oh, some guy stole the realHickey’s papers.’

‘Oh, fair enough then.’

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

chances are Hickey became a murderous cannibal, regardless of artistic lisence.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LadyPictureShow posted:

I haven’t read the book, so I was kind of assuming at least a few of the crew would just take up with the Eskimos and not go back to civilization or something.

When Irving met the Eskimo party and went back to tell Hickey and the other guy the news, I don’t think I’ve ever gone :toot: to :aaa: so fast.

I’m curious if they established Hickey as being an imposter that stole the enlistment papers in the book ? I’m assuming they added that bit in to like, not offend any of his descendants?

‘My great-great-great Uncle wasn’t a murderous cannibal!’

‘Uhhh... oh, some guy stole the realHickey’s papers.’

‘Oh, fair enough then.’

Oh, huh. Good thought there...yeah, I imagine they had to make some concessions like that. Need to rewatch this one, for some reason I thought they just used another actor for "young Hickey," but [insert Goons are bad at watching TV comment here].

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Oh, huh. Good thought there...yeah, I imagine they had to make some concessions like that. Need to rewatch this one, for some reason I thought they just used another actor for "young Hickey," but [insert Goons are bad at watching TV comment here].

spoilers but he has big rant in the last episode that makes it explicit: he killed or otherwise duped the real hickey, and took his place on the boat because he thought he'd get to sip exotic drinks on a beautiful beach. cruelly ironic.

everyone has mentioned the confusion, a lot of reviewers too. i think it's a deliberate choice - by showing a younger, fresh-faced actor all gussied up and excited, in a completely different environment, they're able to trick people into thinking they're nearly the same person. having the officers treat the crew like the audience does - a tough-to-identify group of similarly-dressed white brits - is a good way of leaning into it.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 3, 2018

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
I have to admit I thought the opening scene was a straightforward flashback for a moment even if it didn't make any sense to cast a slightly younger actor with a different look, but amongst other things the real Hickey in the opening actually has an Irish accent. It's really fun to revisit the earlier scene where Crozier has a drink with Hickey on the premise of Irish underdog brotherhood, and realise he accidentally furnishes some sociopathic English fugitive with a wild idea of reinvention as a Royal Navy careerist, leading directly to the kidnapping of Silence and the "as a boy" scene.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 3, 2018

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I was surprised when the show bookended the episode with the same reveal it opened with, because I couldn't imagine anyone missing it to begin with, but I guess not everyone's alarm bells go off when the cutest boy on the show is abruptly recast in a flashback.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
That murder scene was one of the most harrowing things I've watched, thanks to the weird-rear end score and the lack of sound from the actual stabbing. And just the bright daylight.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

JayMax posted:

the weird-rear end score

in a show firing mostly on all cylinders, the score has been terrific from beginning to end. RIP marcus

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Hasselblad posted:

My only criticism beyond not understanding much of the dialogue

I’m a dummy because I was like ‘what is everyone’s issue with the dialogue?!

Then I remembered I watch just about everything with CC on because I have some hearing issues.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Hasselblad posted:

My only criticism beyond not understanding much of the dialogue, is that they are increasingly acting like it is a mild spring day compared to the literal -170 to -100 degrees in the book. Haven't gotten to Hicky sunbathing and getting all stabby in the book yet, but unless it suddenly became warm (which would make me personally haul rear end back to the ships) then the show is being silly.

They're currently in the brief Arctic summer, so the temperatures would be in the mid-fifties Farenheit (about 10C I think?), and in the middle of a bare rock plain a lot of that heat would be reflected, raising the ambient temperature during the daytime. It wouldn't be swimsuit weather, but it would be a far cry from the winter temperatures in the same spot. That part didn't seem unbelievable to me.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jikes posted:

They're currently in the brief Arctic summer, so the temperatures would be in the mid-fifties Farenheit (about 10C I think?), and in the middle of a bare rock plain a lot of that heat would be reflected, raising the ambient temperature during the daytime. It wouldn't be swimsuit weather, but it would be a far cry from the winter temperatures in the same spot. That part didn't seem unbelievable to me.

I haven't gotten to that point in the book yet, but I did not think they jumped directly over to summer already.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hasselblad posted:

I haven't gotten to that point in the book yet, but I did not think they jumped directly over to summer already.

My biggest disappointment this season was when they pulled up to this giant ice mountain like "well gently caress me, eh?" and then one scene change later they are over the mountain and have made camp! :pwn:

I needed a little more catharsis after the ice-trek...

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's been years since I've read the book, but I don't think Hickey was an imposter at all in it. He was established as borderline psychopathic from pretty much the outset, though. His portrayal in the TV show is much more ambiguous, and better for it IMO.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My biggest disappointment this season was when they pulled up to this giant ice mountain like "well gently caress me, eh?" and then one scene change later they are over the mountain and have made camp! :pwn:

I needed a little more catharsis after the ice-trek...

I cannot recall if they had the sledges on the other side. Since the other side was basically landfall I assume they just carried the supplies over in small chunks. Otherwise I agree, pretty fooking jarring.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

jfood posted:

chances are Hickey became a murderous cannibal, regardless of artistic lisence.

Listen buddy. He was a reluctant cannibal.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Listen buddy. He was a reluctant cannibal.

He struck me as the one putting human meat in the mouths of others rather than his own.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The saddest thing about this show is that it's going to end. Be kinda hard to make a sequel, unless they show all following ships that were also stuck in the ice while looking for them or for the passage.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Season 2 is going to reveal that Blanky didn't die as he emerges out of the Tuunbaq's anus.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
This show is absolutely fantastic. It would be a disservice if it doesn't make a killing come award season. I have read half the book.....and really need to get back into it. Dan Simmons (along with Frank Herbert) are my favorite two authors. Need Syfy to get moving on the Hyperion adaptation. I wonder if it every would have been greenlit if Bradley Cooper hadn't been pushing for it for years.

And I'm doubtful that it will happen.....but I'd kill for a Carrion Comfort adaptation. AND PLEASE!!! someone redo Dune and don't botch it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how far along the show is, I've seen up until around the middle of episode 10. I really enjoyed it until it went off the deep end and completely fell apart around episode 8. I really like the 1800s aesthetic but the mystical bear or whatever really pisses me off because nothing they do seems to even affect it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how far along the show is, I've seen up until around the middle of episode 10. I really enjoyed it until it went off the deep end and completely fell apart around episode 8. I really like the 1800s aesthetic but the mystical bear or whatever really pisses me off because nothing they do seems to even affect it.

you are halfway through the last episode

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

I keep the OP updated with the current ep for bingers: which is currently #7! Three weeks before the spoiler gloves come off! :woop:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Dan Simmons (along with Frank Herbert) are my favorite two authors.
drat, it's that Dan Simmons, I didn't make the connection.

Cojawfee posted:

... the mystical bear or whatever really pisses me off because nothing they do seems to even affect it.

It's just a guess, but I've been assuming it's a wendigo. I also wouldn't assume the narrators or witnesses to be reliable. I do agree they shouldn't have shown it with a human-ish face because that was borderline corny.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Holy poo poo. Just finished it up. Home run miniseries. Super grim ending. I've got to finish reading the book now. I really don't see how they could have done a better job. It was visually stunning, sound was fantastic, script was excellent, and considering that I only knew a few of the actors, they were all great. Hell......even the opening credits were badass.

Hopefully the ratings are good and they continue to adapt Dan Simmons novels. This should clean up at the Emmys.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Hopefully the ratings are good and they continue to adapt Dan Simmons novels.

Man, I hope they do The Abominable at least, I desperately want to see the whole world react to the insanely dumbshit “twist” at the end.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

Quixotic1 posted:

I'm now on a lookout for both Blanky's sweater and also the officers' double breasted sweaters.

Personally I'm in the market for one of those woolen caps/wigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I want an officer’s coat with the old timey sunglasses.