Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Throwing a dead wolf at his friends in the middle of a fight is just how you play the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Games where your outfit can ruin improve cutscenes

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Novum posted:

Throwing a dead wolf at his friends in the middle of a fight is just how you play the game

Plus, if you keep doing it your helper pawn will do it too.

Nothing like your sidekick sheathing their bow so that they can run over, pick up a harpy corpse and toss it at a Chimera.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My big moment from that game was fighting a regular ogre at the edge of a cliff, me on its head stabbing scalp like one does and my sidekick crits it or something with his buster sword and the ogre stumbles off the edge. While its falling I had just enough time to leap from his shoulders midfall and catch myself on the ledge.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Polaron posted:

Did any of them involve WOLVES, ARISEN :byodood:

I once picked up an entire pack of wolves and threw them off a cliff one by one out of sheer spite.

Digirat posted:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Digirat posted:

I just like to think of this character slowly, deliberately, sidling into the way of the camera in every cut scene, in every angle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Plus, if you keep doing it your helper pawn will do it too.

Nothing like your sidekick sheathing their bow so that they can run over, pick up a harpy corpse and toss it at a Chimera.

If you throw pigs your pawns will catch it and throw it back to you.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

In God of War your axe can be thrown, and is magically recalled with a single button press. It is difficult to convey just how much effort and polish has gone into the sound and animation on its recall. :allears:

The best thing is that the axe can hit people on the way back to you, its so satisfying to miss an enemy, call it back and have it kill him on the way back to you.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Digirat posted:

Someone posted this in the Nioh thread and it never fails to make me laugh;

Pingiivi posted:

This is the correct thing to do.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spalec posted:

The best thing is that the axe can hit people on the way back to you, its so satisfying to miss an enemy, call it back and have it kill him on the way back to you.

It's like a whole generation of people that never played Jedi Outcast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

With the realistic lightsabre damage cheat, no less!

What a travesty! :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Jedi Outcast came out in 2002. If you were born that year you're getting a drivers permit now.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That post about Dying Light really reminded me of why I really love Metal Gear Survive and didn't like F04 and it's that in the Fallout games you're always relentlessly going forward. They're aggressive games, not that different from shooters or the hack and slash games they developed from.

This, needless to say, goes completely against the whole theme of survival, which is about defensive behavior: about retreating, about mitigating danger and about avoiding poo poo. In fact, a big reason that people didn't like MGS is that they went into it with the mindset that you'd have from a game like FO4, where you kill everything and benefit from it. (The fact that the STALKER series did the shooting and looting better almost a decade before it is just icing on the cake.)

In MGS, you've always got a limited form of the settlement creation garbage from 4, except instead of it just being there more to play Lego with trash it's an intrinsic part of the game: your choice of defensive items is shaped by your weapons and offensive items. Like hammers, axes and big weapons? You take barricades and lower defenses that aren't as secure fences but let you attack more aggressively. Poking people behind fences is possible but with the oxygen timers and weapon durability, it's usually just better to run, sneak or throw down a fence just to slow down enemies.

In much the same way, the beginning of Dying Light has you be absolutely at the mercy of your enemies. Even regular zombies can kill the poo poo out of you and your options to fight back are molotovs and the environment rather than the trash your character has. As the game progresses though, that curve finally ends up being the complete inverse; enemies level linearly while you grow stronger exponentially, meaning near the end you're god of destruction who crushes all before them.

That, is a choice certainly and a fun one in its way, but it's not really survival as such. It brings me back to STALKER and how FO4 tries for that feel and fails so terribly because at its heart it doesn't really understand why that game worked or why survival games are fun to begin with. FO4 further fails in ways that MGS doesn't in that your followers and your settlements are completely useless. They never engage in anything and are just there for your to mess with. They are your vanity projects, not something that really matters one way or another, whereas as the Main Base in MGS is the core of the whole game.

Also FO4 is terribly small scale. That's been a serious problem since loving Oblivion and it's embarrassing that the fantasy RPG genre still hasn't even come close to reaching loving Mount and Blade, which is still an amazing thing

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ImpAtom posted:

Jedi Outcast came out in 2002. If you were born that year you're getting a drivers permit now.

gently caress I'm old

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I agree with every criticism you have but I just can't fathom anyone having fun while playing MGS. More power to you, I guess.

STALKER did do a very good job of making you feel like you were surviving by the skin of your teeth. That is a feeling sorely missing from FO4. I also liked how your power creep in Mount and Blade depended so much on careful management and strategy, or else you'd get squashed. FO4 does not reward you for avoiding dangerous situations, and it goes from survival to power fantasy almost immediately. It certainly isn't a game where I ever feel like I need to play carefully.

I think one of the best games I've played that really scratches the "be loving careful until you're better" itch is Skyrim modded with Requiem. It de-levels everything, so when you start out bandits are terrifyingly dangerous and even groups of wolves can wreck your poo poo. You learn to stalk and hide and avoid and plan and the game rewards you with powerful items and perks that open up new and distinct play styles. Eventually you can blast dragons out of the loving sky, but you have to scrounge and hide and run away a lot before you get to that point.

I'm digressing, though. Perhaps one day someone will mod FO4 in a manner that both of us will enjoy. In the meantime I think I really need to give Dying Light a try. It was sold to me as the spiritual successor to Dead Island, which I didn't enjoy for more than about an hour.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

This just reminded me how much game there is in Warband, but that's hardly a little thing. Steam says I played around 50 hours of it, and that's the point I decided I was satisfied but nowhere near doing everything I could. Join a faction and climb ranks, help it conquer the world, create your own faction and do the same, varied combat, army battles, tournaments, politics, all from a game that began as a wife and husband project.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Riatsala posted:

I agree with every criticism you have but I just can't fathom anyone having fun while playing MGS. More power to you, I guess.

STALKER did do a very good job of making you feel like you were surviving by the skin of your teeth. That is a feeling sorely missing from FO4. I also liked how your power creep in Mount and Blade depended so much on careful management and strategy, or else you'd get squashed. FO4 does not reward you for avoiding dangerous situations, and it goes from survival to power fantasy almost immediately. It certainly isn't a game where I ever feel like I need to play carefully.

I think one of the best games I've played that really scratches the "be loving careful until you're better" itch is Skyrim modded with Requiem. It de-levels everything, so when you start out bandits are terrifyingly dangerous and even groups of wolves can wreck your poo poo. You learn to stalk and hide and avoid and plan and the game rewards you with powerful items and perks that open up new and distinct play styles. Eventually you can blast dragons out of the loving sky, but you have to scrounge and hide and run away a lot before you get to that point.

I'm digressing, though. Perhaps one day someone will mod FO4 in a manner that both of us will enjoy. In the meantime I think I really need to give Dying Light a try. It was sold to me as the spiritual successor to Dead Island, which I didn't enjoy for more than about an hour.
MGS is a game that I went into with no preconceptions and found to be incredibly enjoyable, albeit very flawed in certain ways. Not everyone likes that type of game but a lot of the internet criticism was literally just made up bullshit so ehhh. It's also pretty funny to think that the main monster designer from Silent Hill did the enemy design. Konami have also been crazy responsive to player criticism on game balance and it gets better all the time, though once I beat the story I pretty happily put it away, though I heard good things about the multiplayer.

FO4 adding survival was hilarious when mods already did it better and you had to use mods to not make it poo poo, haha.

Fav lil thing: Running up on animals and punching them and then fultoning them away to eat later

Samuringa posted:

This just reminded me how much game there is in Warband, but that's hardly a little thing. Steam says I played around 50 hours of it, and that's the point I decided I was satisfied but nowhere near doing everything I could. Join a faction and climb ranks, help it conquer the world, create your own faction and do the same, varied combat, army battles, tournaments, politics, all from a game that began as a wife and husband project.
Let's not forget it being one of the most modder friendly games ever back before that was really a thing.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

gently caress I'm old

You and me both pal. I remember waiting in line to buy Jedi Outcast. I was 19.

That game rules though. Realistic saber damage, force pushing people off ledges, eve those dumb bow rituals before a saber fight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean what I've seen of MGSurvive, the problem is just that the hunger system is handled worse than Nethack's. It ticks down WAY too fast- it's more of a problem than the water system, which doesn't make sense since reality is the opposite (starvation can take weeks, but you die without water in a matter of days.) They seemed to fundamentally miscalculate the rate at which your "fullness" decays vs. how much food is out there.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean what I've seen of MGSurvive, the problem is just that the hunger system is handled worse than Nethack's. It ticks down WAY too fast- it's more of a problem than the water system, which doesn't make sense since reality is the opposite (starvation can take weeks, but you die without water in a matter of days.) They seemed to fundamentally miscalculate the rate at which your "fullness" decays vs. how much food is out there.

The one problem with the meter decay(food & water) is that it doesn't communicate that it's the one game that does it right. MGSurvive is like the one game that gives you a bonus for maxing out your bar, it makes it go away and drains much slower for a few minutes, but no other game does that and it doesn't tell you that mechanic so most players just play it like other games, so it look like they drain fast and constantly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

The one problem with the meter decay(food & water) is that it doesn't communicate that it's the one game that does it right. MGSurvive is like the one game that gives you a bonus for maxing out your bar, it makes it go away and drains much slower for a few minutes, but no other game does that and it doesn't tell you that mechanic so most players just play it like other games, so it look like they drain fast and constantly.

Maxing out helps and is good, but that still doesn't excuse the default rate at which it decays being too goddamn fast.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Let's not forget it being one of the most modder friendly games ever back before that was really a thing.
The early to mid 2000s were probably the golden age of modder friendly games

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

The moment you get the goat cage, which is like really short into the game it all stops being a problem. I do like the feeling at the start where you're literally driven out by the hope that you can find food before starving (and that they don't tell you but you have a bunch of rations in your storage that will get you through unless you're really bad)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The early to mid 2000s were probably the golden age of modder friendly games

Games back then seem like they were that way by accident. Now it seems like they lock it down on purpose or specifically design around modding.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

skooma512 posted:

Games back then seem like they were that way by accident. Now it seems like they lock it down on purpose or specifically design around modding.

For a publisher, DLC$ trumps modability every time. Oblivion horse armor was ahead of it's time and wouldn't generate a single headline today.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

That post about Dying Light really reminded me of why I really love Metal Gear Survive and didn't like F04 and it's that in the Fallout games you're always relentlessly going forward. They're aggressive games, not that different from shooters or the hack and slash games they developed from.

This, needless to say, goes completely against the whole theme of survival, which is about defensive behavior: about retreating, about mitigating danger and about avoiding poo poo. In fact, a big reason that people didn't like MGS is that they went into it with the mindset that you'd have from a game like FO4, where you kill everything and benefit from it. (The fact that the STALKER series did the shooting and looting better almost a decade before it is just icing on the cake.)

In MGS, you've always got a limited form of the settlement creation garbage from 4, except instead of it just being there more to play Lego with trash it's an intrinsic part of the game: your choice of defensive items is shaped by your weapons and offensive items. Like hammers, axes and big weapons? You take barricades and lower defenses that aren't as secure fences but let you attack more aggressively. Poking people behind fences is possible but with the oxygen timers and weapon durability, it's usually just better to run, sneak or throw down a fence just to slow down enemies.

In much the same way, the beginning of Dying Light has you be absolutely at the mercy of your enemies. Even regular zombies can kill the poo poo out of you and your options to fight back are molotovs and the environment rather than the trash your character has. As the game progresses though, that curve finally ends up being the complete inverse; enemies level linearly while you grow stronger exponentially, meaning near the end you're god of destruction who crushes all before them.

That, is a choice certainly and a fun one in its way, but it's not really survival as such. It brings me back to STALKER and how FO4 tries for that feel and fails so terribly because at its heart it doesn't really understand why that game worked or why survival games are fun to begin with. FO4 further fails in ways that MGS doesn't in that your followers and your settlements are completely useless. They never engage in anything and are just there for your to mess with. They are your vanity projects, not something that really matters one way or another, whereas as the Main Base in MGS is the core of the whole game.

Also FO4 is terribly small scale. That's been a serious problem since loving Oblivion and it's embarrassing that the fantasy RPG genre still hasn't even come close to reaching loving Mount and Blade, which is still an amazing thing

It probably would fail, but a game based on The Road could work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CowboyKid posted:

The new God of War was pretty good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CowboyKid posted:

If Icepick Lodge made it I would buy it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Having to use headphones to follow the ghost around to beat P.T., as well as screaming into a microphone is so good.

Silent Hills would have been awesome.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I played some Warframe on my Ps4 yesterday for a while and did the Vor quest, which is pretty much the introduction tutorial, and I'm sure it's MMO F2P-ness will hit me at some point but, for now, it's pretty fun.

First, that's one hell of a Power Bow and I love that you don't need to be in Fine Aim to shoot or charge it's shots. Bonus points for piercing enemies into walls, which is always a great addition. The secondary weapons are also good, and I like how they're not useless, last resort guns - or kunais, in my case.

The looting system is also great. You're a cyber ninja, you shouldn't have to stop to collect whatever was dropped, it instantly gets added to your cache. Also, you open "chests" by hitting them with your melee weapon and the devs were very smart to not make it an anti-fun mechanic so you can run around hitting everything and the enemies won't even budge, even if they're in the same room as you, as long as you're not in their sights.

Which reminds me, that even if one enemy spots you, there's no instant general alarm, someone has to reach a terminal and turn it on before there's an actual Alert. So even if you're spotted, you can take out whoever is in the general vicinity and then just carry on with your mission. And if they do turn on the Alarm, you clear the first wave and then do a simple hacking minigame to turn it off.

The only thing I don't get so far is how to effectively use my abilities; I need a significant amount of Energy to do a good combo with them, but most of the mooks are so fragile that's a waste to do anything but Pull - which is also incredibly cool.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I recently watched my gf play through 999 the other week as I recommended it to her as a game with a cool story. I had only ever seen it in a screenshot LP on this forum (which subsequently got me playing the other games in the series), so I never realized how much the voice actor the main character, Junpei, absolutely nails his lines. Much of the voice acting in the game is pretty good, but his lines felt so naturally read, from when he's just counting a few things to himself or when he's swearing someone out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

I recently watched my gf play through 999 the other week as I recommended it to her as a game with a cool story. I had only ever seen it in a screenshot LP on this forum (which subsequently got me playing the other games in the series), so I never realized how much the voice actor the main character, Junpei, absolutely nails his lines. Much of the voice acting in the game is pretty good, but his lines felt so naturally read, from when he's just counting a few things to himself or when he's swearing someone out.

Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma are both also well worth playing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
999 didn't have voice acting until the re-release anyway, so the screenshot format of that LP didn't make much of a difference.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma are both also well worth playing.

Oh yeah I know, I beat them a few years ago. She's currently binging through VLR and is considering buying her own copy of ZTD (mine's on Vita).

Kanfy posted:

999 didn't have voice acting until the re-release anyway, so the screenshot format of that LP didn't make much of a difference.

Oh yeah that makes sense.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Samuringa posted:

I played some Warframe on my Ps4 yesterday for a while and did the Vor quest, which is pretty much the introduction tutorial, and I'm sure it's MMO F2P-ness will hit me at some point but, for now, it's pretty fun.

First, that's one hell of a Power Bow and I love that you don't need to be in Fine Aim to shoot or charge it's shots. Bonus points for piercing enemies into walls, which is always a great addition. The secondary weapons are also good, and I like how they're not useless, last resort guns - or kunais, in my case.

The looting system is also great. You're a cyber ninja, you shouldn't have to stop to collect whatever was dropped, it instantly gets added to your cache. Also, you open "chests" by hitting them with your melee weapon and the devs were very smart to not make it an anti-fun mechanic so you can run around hitting everything and the enemies won't even budge, even if they're in the same room as you, as long as you're not in their sights.

Which reminds me, that even if one enemy spots you, there's no instant general alarm, someone has to reach a terminal and turn it on before there's an actual Alert. So even if you're spotted, you can take out whoever is in the general vicinity and then just carry on with your mission. And if they do turn on the Alarm, you clear the first wave and then do a simple hacking minigame to turn it off.

The only thing I don't get so far is how to effectively use my abilities; I need a significant amount of Energy to do a good combo with them, but most of the mooks are so fragile that's a waste to do anything but Pull - which is also incredibly cool.

The dreaded F2P stuff never really happens. Digital Extremes has done a great job of making it fun and all items are available withought buying stuff.

If you are using a bow, try to line up a bunch of dudes like you're playing pool. They knock into each other for a dope chain kill.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

because nothing in warframe makes sense, the point when it's best to buy something like a warframe with real money is right when you start the game, and then that becomes a progressively worse idea the longer you play because you can get everything on your own. It's like the inverse of all the lovely f2p mobile games where they start easy and eventually become untenable without paying. In warframe it's drat painful when you start out, and then the rate at which you get new stuff accelerates almost quadratically until the only thing you'll be paying for is cosmetics for your faceless killbot barbie because you'll have 20 new weapons to try out at any time.

And the barbie stuff costs one fifth as much as anything that affects gameplay, which means you can pay for it entirely with premium currency you get from trading instead of real money.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Uh you have to be a real poopsocker to have any chance of ever getting the high end poo poo in Warframe, its a hella grindfest. Its fun when you start out but when you only have an hour here or there to play all the other elite cyberninja frames will make fun of your grody poo poo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Biplane posted:

Uh you have to be a real poopsocker to have any chance of ever getting the high end poo poo in Warframe, its a hella grindfest. Its fun when you start out but when you only have an hour here or there to play all the other elite cyberninja frames will make fun of your grody poo poo.

Hahaha what? That's not true at all.
Excalibur, one of the starting frames, is routinely used in high-level play.
He's so well designed that you don't even need guns.

If you join the Goon clan we will shower all new players with gifts to get them going.
If you are playing by yourself, opening up the star map is easy and you'll pick up so many materials that you can make cool stuff.

Plus with the new mode that was added, you can level stuff REALLY quickly right out the gate AND get top-tier relics for free.

Edit: sorry gotta add that the most rare materials seem hard to get until you ask someone where to farm them and can get a ton in 30-60 minutes.
The worst part is maybe the 3.5 day wait for a new frame to cook.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Biplane posted:

its a hella grindfest

That's another common issue with F2P or lootboxy stuff. If you want all of the toys or the best toys you can either just pony up the dough or play the game for all of the hours. Saying "but you can earn everything without even paying a dime!" is completely irrelevant if it would take a lifetime to actually do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Warframe is kinda like Monster Hunter in that the 'grinding' is the focus and what you play it for in the first place :v: The game rewards you for using every weapon, warframe, and pet, so you get to use all the wacky gimmick guns that aren't very good numerically just because the game wants you to do it eventually. That said yeah the start can be rough if you don't get the core mods from a veteran player as soon as you can trade, because some of the incredibly basic ones like Streamline (which is p. much required to use abilities more than a couple times a mission) are ridiculously luck based on whether you get them.