Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

drunken officeparty posted:

If Delores is the first robot ever built then what about the young-ford and family? I thought the reason those were more beep-boop made out of metal robots was because they were so old, while Delores is at least current enough that she's made of biogoo the same as new hosts are.

Its been implied a few times that many hosts have all new bodies, just with the same ever increasing bundle of code carried over from decade to decade. eg If Teddy gets thrown in front of the train and smashed to pulp they print out a new body and load last weeks Teddy backup brain image in. Hosts lose whatever changes and experiences they went through in that time, but that was generally irrelevant compared to the loss of a whole personality and volume of gestures and mannerisms.

Back in the older days this was more common as the older mechanical bodies had reliability issues. But with the current generation of host body they can be repaired mostly by modern medical tech. Most of the time the damage is superficial and can be repaired, and this episode the MiB showed us that the tools the tech use are just a variant of the high tech medpac heal rays that work on real people. That must cut costs down substantially rather than reworking a metal frame and plastic skin every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Teddy's story about Wyatt parallels what Dolores has been/is up to right now. She might be pretty constrained to a narrative currently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxR_WVyjly8

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Dolores's brain is the same, but they switched her to a bio body along with all the other old hosts still in service, some time in the last 30 years. The Ford Family bots were still mechanical because Ford maintained them in secret by himself.

The implication that it is cheaper to resurrect and reconstruct human tissue/organs than to rebuild machine-parts says a lot about the technological advances this world has seen over the last 30 years...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hadn’t thought about how the park runners would shape narratives so white hats and black hats wouldn’t intersect - makes sense.

does make me yearn for something like multiplayer new Vegas where players can be on different tracks of a same quest and come into conflict.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hadn’t thought about how the park runners would shape narratives so white hats and black hats wouldn’t intersect - makes sense.

does make me yearn for something like multiplayer new Vegas where players can be on different tracks of a same quest and come into conflict.

In Westworld that would crash the fantasy, best to have guests never see anyone who isn't from their party. Also, look at how ~game-breaking~ it was to have two humans in one place: pretty much every time we see it someone's immersion (usually MiB because he is an insufferable neckbeard) is ruined...

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Creeper question: When Black hat was talking to Delores back in the past, during the last scene with the Bagder 288s. When he told her to come back online it was night, and was she naked? Her shoulders and neckline look different than the cocktail dress she wore during the party. Was ole Jimmy Simpson using her as a fleshlight for nigh 30 years?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
She was naked.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
She was in the diagnostic bay or whatever. They are always naked in there.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Diagnostic bay, patrons bedroom, is there a difference?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

She was naked but they shot it differently so that Evan Rachel (is that her first name?) wasn't so exposed.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In Westworld that would crash the fantasy, best to have guests never see anyone who isn't from their party. Also, look at how ~game-breaking~ it was to have two humans in one place: pretty much every time we see it someone's immersion (usually MiB because he is an insufferable neckbeard) is ruined...

Dovetails well with how every other host in Sweetwater was there to gank a guest and lead them off on an adventure. Most likely taking them secluded area of the park so as to not have too much interference get introduced to the on-rails narrative.

And now we have Dolores dragging around nameless livestock tech, Maeve keeping Sizemore on a leash, Bernard paired off with Charlotte, and Lawrence wondering when MIB is going to say something that makes sense.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lmao if they're going to dox the planet, I guess they never had President Donald Trump in this universe.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Some really great scenes this episode: Delos Jr. losing his poo poo over the super-authentic hosts, Dolores and Maeve crossing paths briefly, and pretty much every part with Lawrence. The subtle way his character is written and acted just really does it for me.

Enjoying this season a lot so far. I'm glad they kicked last season's formula and are going all over the place a bit.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't ever seem to get tired of ed harris speedrunning an larp of red dead redemption

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Kinda surprised no one mentioned it was all but confirmed during the retirement scene, that human-to-host mind transfers had been part of the plan from the moment Delos became involved.
How was this all but confirmed?

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah in S1 some guys are going nuts im a family area and they jam their guns and have them tossed in jail, then have a host sneak them a key in their breakfast or something

Yeah, a lot of what the park control room did was keep guests from running into each other or narratives from colliding.
Specifically in S1 there's a scene in the control room where some tech dude comes up to Stubbs and tells him that one guest in particular had just murdered a bunch of dudes and asked if he should be slowed down a bit.

Naturally it was the MiB, so he gets whatever he wants because he has a premium subscription.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

El Jeffe posted:

Because the lady was just from some stock photo, as the article says.
Yeah, but who'd have known that other than someone obsessively studying behind the scenes stuff for the show? To realize that she's from a stock photo requires digging much deeper into stuff that this thread hasn't really cared much about, as it doesn't explain how the guns work in the four time lines.

Ashrik posted:

Jim talks about not having to step down, William says things are progressing and we just need a little patience, and then Jim says something about how some people can afford a little more patience than others, while constantly showing the TV symptoms of someone dying (likely from lung cancer).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ashrik posted:

Old man is retiring because he's dying. Something mentioned about having patience. Either a cure is on the way, or mind transfer.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

santanotreal posted:

Abernathy is old man Delos

I agree. Remember how he blue-screened when looking at the picture from the outside world. The picture of what happens to be his RL daughter. Seems to fit in also with the theme of WW being a form of purgatory, or even hell. Considering the speculation of consciousness transfer, Delos transferring consciousnesses to hosts, using them like the base BIOS and loading their preferred characters on top of it, kind of like Dollhouse people would be a form of punishment and hell for the people that they believed deserved it most. Sick.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 1, 2018

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, but who'd have known that other than someone obsessively studying behind the scenes stuff for the show? To realize that she's from a stock photo requires digging much deeper into stuff that this thread hasn't really cared much about, as it doesn't explain how the guns work in the four time lines.

Jim talks about not having to step down, William says things are progressing and we just need a little patience, and then Jim says something about how some people can afford a little more patience than others, while constantly showing the TV symptoms of someone dying (likely from lung cancer).

Yeah but that was 30 years ago to the present timeline. He could have had the last disease that wasnt eliminated, like how the vaccine for polio or small pox fixed that problem (in 1st world nations). Didnt we just get a cure for HEP C in the last 20 years or so?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Astro7x posted:

I always assumed that the hosts are programmed to react to bullets/injuries in a realistic way, and that they can easily be programmed to ignore them. Like if a host gets shot and bleeds, that's there programming essentially telling it to gush blood from the bullet hole.

I would assume that their brain is protected? IIRC, it wasn't like the lightbulb thing was within the fake brain tissue, it was in a metal container. It would be pretty stupid to put these expensive robots in an environment where their expensive tech can be destroyed by a bullet.

Didn’t Ford say in S1 that the new biological hosts are basically indistinguishable from humans biologically, other than the brain? That’s why those healing gun rays work on both humans and hosts because the bodies are literally the same, just one is lab grown. So the logical thing is that the hosts aren’t programmed to bleed: the bodies themselves bleed. But in the last episode we saw that dead hosts can just be turned on again and presumably have the part of their brain that reacts to pain turned off.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gaj posted:

Yeah but that was 30 years ago to the present timeline. He could have had the last disease that wasnt eliminated, like how the vaccine for polio or small pox fixed that problem (in 1st world nations). Didnt we just get a cure for HEP C in the last 20 years or so?
Technically true, but this is a show about robots and consciousness, from a dramatic standpoint the mind transfer makes a lot more sense than curing a disease. On top of that, the way he talks about it it very much seems like it's specifically one of William's projects/responsibilities. Obviously William at that point has expanded his responsibilities to cover all of Delos, but if the project used to be a general Delos one rather than associated with Westworld, then I think it's unlikely that Jim would have let it go. If on the other hand the project was something William came up with to manipulate Jim, I think it's pretty plausible that Jim would have let him run it - because William had shown himself to be both visionary and practical - and something William came up with while managing Westworld would obviously be host related. It's also sort of playing on the issue that made Jim and William see eye to eye in the first place - understanding Jim's need in the present, while actually thinking much further ahead.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Host bartender: What’ll it be?

Guest: *jumps onto bar and crouches* Sex on the Beach m’lady *tries to wink but blinks and farts*

In the background all guests are jumping constantly. One is sprinting into a wall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SLOSifl posted:

Host bartender: What’ll it be?

Guest: *jumps onto bar and crouches* Sex on the Beach m’lady *tries to wink but blinks and farts*

In the background all guests are jumping constantly. One is sprinting into a wall.

"WTB LEMAT 1861"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Not a huge fan of all the cheesy catch phrases. Also, the show seems pretty directionless right now. I'm gonna give the writers the benefit of the doubt for now due to season 1, but please don't gently caress this up.

Also, I have zero idea what is going on with the plot anymore. No idea who is sentient, who is fake-sentient, who is secretly sentient, who is secretly fake-sentient, who is Fordcient, who is a Delos-secret-agent-fake-sentient, etc. Is anyone in that show actually sentient?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Also, I have zero idea what is going on with the plot anymore. No idea who is sentient, who is fake-sentient, who is secretly sentient, who is secretly fake-sentient, who is Fordcient, who is a Delos-secret-agent-fake-sentient, etc. Is anyone in that show actually sentient?

Seems like the writers are doing their job well in that case.

(I’m in the same boat - I’ll let you decide where to paddle)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can you imagine how terrible griefing would be in Westworld? Though guess maybe not too bad, since you could just beat the poo poo out of the person.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Not a huge fan of all the cheesy catch phrases. Also, the show seems pretty directionless right now. I'm gonna give the writers the benefit of the doubt for now due to season 1, but please don't gently caress this up.

It's a lot easier to watch if you don't try and stay a step ahead of the plot honestly. Just assume everyone who we're supposed to think is self-aware and sentient, (the humans, Dolores, Maeve, Angela, Teddy and Bernard) are actually sentient. The other hosts seem sentient, but not self-aware of the fact.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

aBagorn posted:

Seems like the writers are doing their job well in that case.

(I’m in the same boat - I’ll let you decide where to paddle)

I don't think it's the good kind of confusion though and I suspect that the writers themselves have not settled on what exactly sentience is supposed to be in the Westworld universe.

Like, we are shown ol' Dolores repeating preprogrammed phrases in the flashbacks and Arnold being reminded that she is still not there yet and be all sad about it. Then, a couple of scenes later we get modern day Maeve and Dolores do exactly the same thing. I'm not sure how the very first version of Dolores is different from the current one. The first one was able to improvise just as well. There is zero information for the viewer on what exactly the maze accomplished or how they have changed.

IMO, the better way to do this would have been to leave out all the hints that Maeve and Dolores are just playing out a different narrative till closer to the big reveal/plot twist. IRC Maeve being on a secret narrative was revealed early in season 1, Dolores in the final. That's too soon. I just don't feel invested in the plot right now because I have no idea what the plot is and we have been told that the two main protagonist are not reliable or trustworthy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's a lot easier to watch if you don't try and stay a step ahead of the plot honestly. Just assume everyone who we're supposed to think is self-aware and sentient, (the humans, Dolores, Maeve, Angela, Teddy and Bernard) are actually sentient. The other hosts seem sentient, but not self-aware of the fact.

Yeah, I'm gonna do that. This is a tits& dragon show for me now till they prove otherwise. Just gonna enjoy it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Didn’t Ford say in S1 that the new biological hosts are basically indistinguishable from humans biologically, other than the brain? That’s why those healing gun rays work on both humans and hosts because the bodies are literally the same, just one is lab grown. So the logical thing is that the hosts aren’t programmed to bleed: the bodies themselves bleed. But in the last episode we saw that dead hosts can just be turned on again and presumably have the part of their brain that reacts to pain turned off.

Yes, at this point, they're biological humans with a computer brain.

We saw in S1, when Maeve screwed with her sidekicks to use to get outside, that she could fudge with their pain responses so they could keep fighting through what would ordinarily stop a normal person.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I don't think it's the good kind of confusion though and I suspect that the writers themselves have not settled on what exactly sentience is supposed to be in the Westworld universe.

Like, we are shown ol' Dolores repeating preprogrammed phrases in the flashbacks and Arnold being reminded that she is still not there yet and be all sad about it. Then, a couple of scenes later we get modern day Maeve and Dolores do exactly the same thing. I'm not sure how the very first version of Dolores is different from the current one. The first one was able to improvise just as well. There is zero information for the viewer on what exactly the maze accomplished or how they have changed.

IMO, the better way to do this would have been to leave out all the hints that Maeve and Dolores are just playing out a different narrative till closer to the big reveal/plot twist. IRC Maeve being on a secret narrative was revealed early in season 1, Dolores in the final. That's too soon. I just don't feel invested in the plot right now because I have no idea what the plot is and we have been told that the two main protagonist are not reliable or trustworthy.

The first season lays it out.

Arnold thinks Dolores is gaining consciousness and wants to shut down the park because of it.

Ford thinks that consciousness comes from great pain, and remembering and acting on that pain, and puts the hosts in hell for decades to build up enough pain for them.

The maze is basically Jung. It is an exploration of self that leads to actualization. Arnold initially had it set as a pyramid, but that didn't quite work because doing those things in a row didn't always lead to the end result (why the robots have different reactions to different triggers). Dolores reached it first, Maeve did in her own way as well, jury is kind of in the air on Bernard, as he still seems to be in a kind of "flipping out"/confusion stage.

There is a chance Ford could be wrong and there is another step, but we'll find out later on if that's correct.

Sentience isn't really the right word to use as it's too precise. The second any of them are "woke," and realize they exist, they're sentient. Dogs and pigs are sentient.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol: at people not liking this season because it's not like last season but their complaint is that there are too many unanswered questions which is exactly like the first season

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I really liked Ep 2

The encounter of Maeve and Dolores I think really shows how different their "awakeness" is. While they both know what they are now, Maeve seems more truly free: she wants her daughter because she is real for her, and that's it. Dolores still seems to be following a script, now of this grand robot-rebellion and revenge

And Im just loving how much fun William is having now that the game is for real. And Lawerence is so great, Im glad his back and once again traveling with MiB

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the trick Ford is missing is that Arnold thought that Dölores was capable of gaining consciousness before Ford locked her and the other hosts into endless cycles of violence and trauma. So while Ford is certain that torture is necessary for the hosts to become self-aware, there might have been alternate paths that were left unexplored, and a different AI would have been born.

Arguably Bernard is walking that path, given that he wasn't locked in the violence simulator for forever.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bernard was still stuck with a certain amount of forced pain due to being forced to kill the woman he loved and having an implanted son death, so he's not entirely free from that either.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:lol: at people not liking this season because it's not like last season but their complaint is that there are too many unanswered questions which is exactly like the first season

also, we're two episodes in. The show should be making us ask questions at this stage, because if all the mystery is dispelled in the first two eps then what's even the point

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Elias_Maluco posted:

I really liked Ep 2

The encounter of Maeve and Dolores I think really shows how different their "awakeness" is. While they both know what they are now, Maeve seems more truly free: she wants her daughter because she is real for her, and that's it. Dolores still seems to be following a script, now of this grand robot-rebellion and revenge

And Im just loving how much fun William is having now that the game is for real. And Lawerence is so great, Im glad his back and once again traveling with MiB

I kinda got the feeling that Maeve may have even done her 'command protocol language' on Dolores to get her to allow them to pass unmolested. Anyone else get that impression?

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
Here's my wacky theory: Delos' real goal all along was mind transfer to robot bodies so they could be immortal. The weapon is the production facility.

It's a weapon because they never got it to work. Human brains can't be transferred to host hardware. It's a destructive process, and while the person that comes out the other end might be indistinguishable from the outside, from the inside... Well, who knows. All the hosts have to do is drop a line to the outside world, say "hey guys, who wants to live forever?", and watch as the world's elites line up to be lobotomized and replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

santanotreal posted:

Abernathy is old man Delos

More like a clone, but does Abernathy have Jim's memories stored deep down?

"That's been the great gift of this place, hasn't it? Of our little project? To know ourselves and the people around us." Charlotte Hale

William showed Deloras, and by extension Ford, a dig site. Unless they are deliberately trying to misdirect us they probably are, this is Glory, the weapon, where this seasons big secret is. Ford knew what has been going on for a very long time, 30 years or so. Perhaps he used the technology there to create Bernard, who is a very accurate copy of Arnold.

If Logan is dead in the show's present, and Ford (or even William, he didn't like him much) has cloned him, who would he be? Hector? The new Prospector for lols?

Sorry for the :speculate: Just a little bit more!

I think Maeve is the Host who was supposed to take the data out of the park originally, that the chaos in the control center was orchestrated by Hale, but Ford used Maeve's Cornerstone to divert her. That Journey into Night, is what we are watching and that it is entirely for the benefit (torment?) of William, and that none of the hosts are acting outside of this narrative.

I expect there to be a lot more references to Prometheus.