Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kiké

(lmao it won't let me put an é in a thread title what year is this)

Traveling somewhere for a game? Check this poo poo out! (also contribute to it please because as of this posting only three posts have been made and two of them are about Ohio :barf:)

Carlosologist posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855083

Speaking of travel plans, my thread is up! Please fill it up with good posts about places I've never been to so that I might go to them one day

GO MAKE DUMB PREDICTIONS AND TOXXES!

I don't know what's up with the pictures :shrug:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If I had a dollar for every time I ran into "Invalid character in title" while doing a change, I'd have... a bunch of dollars.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
On a Mac, type Option-e, then whatever letter you type next will have the accent over it: éáíóú (sometimes ´y)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
N:
https://twitter.com/jareddiamond/status/990970089758437376

V: Astros pitching owns

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Marisnick and Stanton are determined to make this a reality

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
in my current OOTP game, Joey Gallo wound up with 700+ HRs, a career OPS of ~.850, a career average of ~.220, and well over 3000 career strikeouts

sometimes evil wins

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Robot home plate umpires.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

is this really a crisis? I feel like people love sick Ks and long dongs and we're getting tons of both

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

is this really a crisis? I feel like people love sick Ks and long dongs and we're getting tons of both

It's not. This ridiculous pearl clutching over pace of play and home runs and strikeouts is so loving dumb.

Pitchers are part of the game too, people loving love sick punchouts. And that's speaking at a practical level, not even getting into the terrible, horrible use of language around this by MLB and baseball writers.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Poque posted:

Yeah I'm not upset about it, I just posted it because it was interesting

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Baseball writers are the foremost authority when it comes to pearl clutching over *checks notes* seemingly harmless things that ultimately are part of the game. At least the older ones.

Hockey writers are a close second, especially if Canadian.

Football writers will laugh at baseball's pace of play while conveniently ignoring that their pace of play is the same, mostly because it feels faster because there's a clock involved (read: it's artificially fast).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

On that note, I've found myself enjoying baseball a lot more when I came to understand that it's a much more casual affair than the other three major US sports. It's not fast paced, and that's fine.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

iospace posted:

Baseball writers are the foremost authority when it comes to pearl clutching over *checks notes* seemingly harmless things that ultimately are part of the game. At least the older ones.

Anything that's a change from the old ways is a CRISIS. The median age of a baseball viewer is 53 years old, so this fits right in with their viewpoint on most things.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
can you all even imagine what it was like when a BLACK GUY showed up to play? imagine that poo poo with skip bayless or that other idiot chiming in with hot takes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins are actually winning a bit for some reason, which should embarrass any teams they beat who lose to a glorified AAA squad

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
For that matter option-n Acuña

Acuñññññña

Much more satisfying

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This year is the first time in a long time I've been excited to watch a Braves game. Like I'd watch them before but it was more out of habit or some made up obligation. They're fun to watch for the first time in forever.

I want to get an Acuña-tar or one for Ozzie but I did that last year with Dansby and we saw what happened - I don't want to jinx it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just realized Josh Hader is the meth and Schlitz fueled equivalent of CJ Edwards for Milwaukee.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Cubs have now won five in a row while scoring 3 or less runs per game. They're the first Cubs team ever to do that, and the first team period since the 2011 Brewers. If they pulled it off again today for six wins, they'd be the first team since the dead ball era to do it, and if they by some miracle then pulled it off the day after tomorrow as well they'd be the first baseball team ever to win seven in a row while scoring 3 or less in each game.

V: I'm really, really glad Cubs pitching decided now was the time to remember how to pitch, because the bats have been cold as gently caress and there's an uncomfortably close flip-side where the Cub could have easily lost the last five in a row.

simble
May 11, 2004

The D-backs went a full calendar month without losing back to back games for the first time in their relatively brief history.

Everything is working so far. Starting pitching has been good. Hopefully Robbie Ray comes back from his strained oblique relatively quickly, but I'm guessing 60 day DL. I don't really care about Taijuan Walker, especially with Matt Koch pitching surprisingly well. I never really liked Walker that much, regardless. Patrick Corbin wants a huge payday next year so congrats to whatever team gets him next year. The dude is a legit ace, in my opinion.

The hitting and run production has been fantastic. There were a few games where they just couldn't get a runner in from third to save their life. Peralta took one off the wrist last night, but x-rays were negative so I'm guessing he'll probably be back later this week. Also holy poo poo AJ Pollock 3 homers last night, get back to your 2015 self please.

And the bullpen has also been great, but I think the starting pitching going deeper into games has really helped here.

Stay healthy, my dudes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

elentar posted:

For that matter option-n Acuña

Acuñññññña

Much more satisfying

Alt-0241 for those who are woñdériñg.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
No pitcher with at least 15 IP has ever had a K/9 over 18. Hader finished April with 19.5.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hand Row posted:

No pitcher with at least 15 IP has ever had a K/9 over 18. Hader finished April with 19.5.

2010 Carlos Marmol had 16.0 K/9 in 77 2/3 innings. I wonder if that's the record for someone with over 70 IP in a season.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

2010 Carlos Marmol had 16.0 K/9 in 77 2/3 innings. I wonder if that's the record for someone with over 70 IP in a season.

It is.

Marmol 2010: 15.99
Betances 2016: 15.53
Chapman 2012: 15.32
Gagne 2003: 14.98
Wagner 1999: 14.95
Lidge 2004: 14.93
Knebel 2017: 14.92
Miller 2016: 14.89
Kimbrel 2011: 14.84
Benitez 1999: 14.77

Hader, Tayron Guerrero, Edwin Diaz, Ottavino, Betances, and Cingrani all finished April 2018 with a K/9 over 16 (min 10 IP), but Hader's 19.5 dwarf's Guerrero's 16.95.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/status/991351183213293568?s=20

V: Dexter Fowler is the best and I miss him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DOBrienAJC/status/991352450371203075

:getin:

https://twitter.com/coryjmccartney/status/991350854040145920

This is 100% sustainable.

e: \/\/\/ :smug:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Soroka called up to start tonight i guess in place of Sanchez. Braves have 3 youngest players in MLB.

Efb

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Soroka’s a nice guy, I hope he does well

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I forgot to add in a month for Haders stat.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I like Soroka a lot, he's one a them there command pitchers.

Probably will get beat around some at the start, especially as borderline calls go against him, but I think ultimately he'll be in the rotation for years to come.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm legit annoyed that the Braves already came to town because seeing Albies/Acuña/Freeman as the 1-2-3 sounds amazing.

There's one left that was rescheduled but it's a weekday day game.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I love April stats. NL HR leaders include a short second baseman and a 27 year old rookie who was recently (2016-17 offseason) a minor league free agent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

An oral history of Kerry Wood's 20-strikeout game, which happened 20 years ago this month.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

I'm legit annoyed that the Braves already came to town because seeing Albies/Acuña/Freeman as the 1-2-3 sounds amazing.

There's one left that was rescheduled but it's a weekday day game.

Yeah it’s a Monday game. I’m thinking of taking the day off and going, I’m sure Tickets will be had for cheap

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/TalkingChop/status/991366377687658496
Absolutely gonna make this my av when I get home and see if it reads at that size

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Oh poo poo, this game is on YouTube. There goes my time management budget. And if you need to waste more time more apropos of

bewbies posted:

can you all even imagine what it was like when a BLACK GUY showed up to play?

The original 1950 movie, The Jackie Robinson Story, starring Jackie as himself, is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ACLvmA-CM&feature=youtu.be It's remarkably frank, for the period, about the racist barriers he faced, with some but not too much hokum you'd see from a move of that era, and very watchable. Recommended.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

https://twitter.com/TalkingChop/status/991366377687658496
Absolutely gonna make this my av when I get home and see if it reads at that size

hahahah

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/991339034034233344

Astros are dirty cheaters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you'll forgive me my nerdy as gently caress analogy, Bauer is basically the perfect example of why Wisdom and Intelligence are separate stats.

Also I'm at work and lazy but McCullers responded by telling Bauer jealousy isn't a good look on him, and Bauer doubled down with something like "Nah man not jealous, I actually respect what you guys are doing, just annoyed MLB is selectively enforcing the rules." :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Sydin posted:

If you'll forgive me my nerdy as gently caress analogy, Bauer is basically the perfect example of why Wisdom and Intelligence are separate stats.

He's not actually that smart, though, even beyond being a chud

• Locked thread