Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would make sense that Kellyn was always outside Dom and Wendell's core if we assume they're sincere about working with Laurel and Donathan primarily. And they've both said that in confessionals so I assume its the case. That would mean Kellyn, Sebastian, Desi, Chelsea, and Angela all have their time. And Kellyn's clearly a bigger target than a number of them if not all of them.

But yeah, she really showed it and probably raised alarms and might have moved that up. I would think Dom and Wendell would want to vote out a Malolo next to make sure they don't give them an opportunity to take control. But after that Kellyn seems like a smart target.

Michael
Kellyn
Angela?

Would be the logical target list for Dom/Wendell I'd think.

Kellyn's bigger problem is whether or not she has the Naviti women as she seemed to think she did at the start of the episode. Even if she still has Chelsea and Angela losing Desi is clearly a blow to her perceived numbers. She needs the two of them and probably Michael and Jenna to counter Dom and Wendell "having" Laurel and Donathan. Although Donathan seems like a question mark and who knows where Sebastian and Chelsea truly are?

But like, Kellyn laying down an ultimatum that Micheal "has" to go and she won't allow Dom to dictate things and then voting Dom's way is a bad sign for her game power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dom seems open to working with Michael, so I could see that buying him another round or two. Everyone in that foursome seems to like him well enough, and meanwhile Kellyn/Angela have burned him enough that the cross-tribal foursome would seem like an enticing group to jump on.

Also in Des' exit interview, apparently Laurel told Michael about Wendell's idol (and then he told Des), so yeah.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also in Des' exit interview, apparently Laurel told Michael about Wendell's idol (and then he told Des), so yeah.

Its probably very tinfoil hatty of me but I always take this stuff with a grain of salt. Just because it seems like every Survivor knew everything we've seen on TV by the time they do interviews. It certainly could be true but its also possible Survivors just like to look less in the dark than they were.

But if true that definitely seems like a curious move on Laurel's part. It could be a good thing to set the seeds to try and have other people deal with her Wendell/Dom problem down the line. But it also could just suggest Laurel has loose lips.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

As long as Michael exists it keeps some heat off of Dom. It's like how Tony kept Spencer in the game very deep as a way to draw attention away from himself.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sportsgenius86 posted:

In the long view, Kellyn hosed herself harder than anyone else last night. She was in a pretty stable position and now she's more or less shown to Dom and Wendell with her rant to Dom that she's more on the girls side than theirs. She's not in immediate danger but I think the move put a 5th/6th place ceiling on herself.

I know she ultimately went with the group to vote out Desi, but Dom doesn't seem like the type of person to forget about that conversation.
Kellyn/Chelsea/Angela + Jenna/Michael + extra vote
Dom/Wendell/Laurel/Sebastian + Donathan?

do it Kellyn!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what about dark horse, helicopter-ride loving, seafood connoisseur SEABASS

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A couple of weeks ago there was this little moment during an episode when they were working out who to vote for and Desi had this passive aggressive comment to Kellyn about how "I don't have any real say in this, you just tell me how to vote" and Kellyn did damage control saying "we want you to feel like part of the group." I think moments like that sometimes reveal tribe dynamics and can help predict stuff that will happen like Desi trying to overthrow Kellyn.

That being said I've got two gut feelings that I can't really support but there's just little things here and there that give me the vibe.

1) Donathan wants to vote with Malolo and if Jenna and Michael flip one way then he'll be with them, maybe even without Laurel. Nothing concrete, its just the way he's been more open this week and last about Desi and Michael's plans and the way he brought them all in on his idol search. All of Donathan's actions really seem to lean to me like he wants to go Malolo in the same way Laurel clearly wants to go Dom/Wendell.

2) Chelsea will be loyal to Dom over Kellyn when that happens. Again, nothing concrete. Just a lot of small moments of them being friendly, the two of them talking game right after the tribe merge or one of the tribe flops, and some things some evictees like Bradley have said about Chelsea. I think Dom was building trust there early. Plus there's that thing from early on when Michael and Malolos were pushing that Chelsea and Sebastian were separate from Bradley, Kellyn, and Desi. Bradley basically supported that saying he and Kellyn would tell them what was happening and give them orders. Then when the tribes swapped again she said something to Dom about Kellyn and Bradley controlling things.

So yeah, I can't really swear to those or make predictions. But I think those are two key pieces of tribe dynamics that I think might be pivotal. I would not be surprised to see Kellyn flipping Jenna, Micheal, and Donathan against Dom but losing Chelsea to him and Laurel splitting from Donathan to go with him and Wendell. Sebastian and Angela are the wild cards I have zero idea of where they'd go.

That being said I can also see Michael and Jenna just not coming together and turning on each other and Donathan/Laurel. Both seem to be in "survive at all costs" mode to me.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Interesting tidbit from the exit interview, Desiree confirmed Kellyn and Chelsea left her (and presumably Angela) out of the Chris vote. Those two ended up voting Libby by themselves. Kind of gives a little more context to Desiree's decision to flip, and takes Kellyn's refusal to believe Des could be flipping against her from overconfidence up to flat out arrogance and disrespect, to me.

Des says she would have pulled in Chelsea after voting out Kellyn, so I assume Des was counting Angela's vote for the 6-5 advantage.

I agree on (1), not as sure on (2) in the post above btw.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 27, 2018

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I was impressed by how much Des was selling the lie. It didn't work out for her, but it wasn't because her execution was off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

I was impressed by how much Des was selling the lie. It didn't work out for her, but it wasn't because her execution was off.

I mean, she was lying to four and a half people who KNEW it was a lie, like Peter Griffin "it was you" level poo poo.

She might have fooled one or two and got that vote, but it'd be rough sailing after that

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the main thing she did was make it un-fun for people to participate in the lie with her. shouting at folks and interrupting them? man, even if you're in the alliance with that person, you'll want them gone.

once Laurel sold her out, the best thing she could've done was act playfully own it, kind of act coy about it, and immediately go into full damage control to try and deflect the bullet headed her way. she could have done something with Kellyn's weird blind faith in her, especially if she owned that she wanted to go after Wendell and Dom rather than Kellyn.

she had great intentions to play the game; Laurel snitching her out was bad, but not a total disaster. the disaster was totally failing to adapt to the situation unfolding in front of her - which is kind of hilarious, because she's the one that got the ball rolling.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like Dom will go after a Malolo woman (Jenna) before Michael to avoid giving the females a numbers advantage after Kellyn's outburst.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Kellyn was in a bad spot for sure, but she did a lot of avoidable damage to herself that episode.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Over the summer, I was listening to some RHAP podcast about Big Brother where they pointed out how weird it is that these shows are so crucially built upon lies and yet it's surprisingly rare for someone to actually lie about an Event happening or not happening. Instead, 99% of the lies on Survivor are about who is alligned with who, who is *planning* to vote for who, who has or doesn't have an idol, etc. The podcasters questioned why players never try this other type of lie, where they just make up some super specific Event and just emphatically insist that it happened or didn't happen; the theory was that because this type of lie is so rare and unexpected on these shows that it would probably end up being surprisingly effective if someone tried it.

Anyway, that thought has been stuck in my head for like a year now, and I'd like to thank Desiree for illustrating that it's a bad idea after all. But A for effort! And the fact that Kellyn believed her for so long (especially given that Kellyn left Des out of the Chris vote just a few days prior!) is evidence that maybe there's still a kernel of a good idea here for the future.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Dom’s wistful coffee sip was fantastic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's been kind of panicky and erratic this season so I was kind of impressed with how he handled the whole Laurel/Desi/Kellyn debacle.

It was also interesting how Wendell seemed to be actively trying to stay out of it. Maybe that was just selective editing but I got the vibe he was trying to lay low and not look like the power broker Dom and Kellyn were showcasing after the last couple of weeks. Didn't he also go out of the Immunity Challenge first?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

He's been kind of panicky and erratic this season so I was kind of impressed with how he handled the whole Laurel/Desi/Kellyn debacle.

It was also interesting how Wendell seemed to be actively trying to stay out of it. Maybe that was just selective editing but I got the vibe he was trying to lay low and not look like the power broker Dom and Kellyn were showcasing after the last couple of weeks. Didn't he also go out of the Immunity Challenge first?

He did and I was thinking the same thing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
donathan rules so hard

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As a person. Not so much as someone in control of the game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Donathan seems like he has ok game instincts. I think his instinct to stick with Malolo and turn on Dom/Wendell is as sound as Laurel's instinct to stick with Dom/Wendell and forget Malolo.

But he comes off as too wishy washy to me. Some of it could just be a lack of power, but he never really seems to push on Laurel and there's stuff like that time Chris had one conversation clearly designed to emotionally manipulate him and he came away saying "maybe I should work with Chris." He just seems a little too eager to please. Most of which you can probably chalk up to his youth.

Or maybe he's just not getting much game tv time so I'm talking out of my rear end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Bloop posted:

He did and I was thinking the same thing.

He also immediately bailed on the eating challenge. Whether it's because he's just not confident or is just trying to downplay his challenge ability remains to be seen.

STAC Goat posted:

Donathan seems like he has ok game instincts. I think his instinct to stick with Malolo and turn on Dom/Wendell is as sound as Laurel's instinct to stick with Dom/Wendell and forget Malolo.

But he comes off as too wishy washy to me. Some of it could just be a lack of power, but he never really seems to push on Laurel and there's stuff like that time Chris had one conversation clearly designed to emotionally manipulate him and he came away saying "maybe I should work with Chris." He just seems a little too eager to please. Most of which you can probably chalk up to his youth.

Or maybe he's just not getting much game tv time so I'm talking out of my rear end.

He's got more strategy than I'd expect from the guy who was struggling in the water in the second episode, but he needs to show that he's got some power to the jury. Otherwise he's just gonna look ineffective if he sits next to Laurel/Wendell/Domenick. He's a definite jury threat seems everyone seems to like him, but these days you need more than just charisma, especially with the new FTC format.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, right now he could win a "bitter jury" scenario but it doesn't really feel like that kind of jury to me. But we'll see. But if you're counting on your allies burning people to give you a chance to win then you're playing too passively.

Then again none of us thought Michelle could win at this stage of her season. So who knows?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

He also immediately bailed on the eating challenge. Whether it's because he's just not confident or is just trying to downplay his challenge ability remains to be seen.

Haha that looked a genuine reaction to grabbing an eyeball, but he definitely could be playing a really deep game! Can't wait to hear about that challenge from him in any case

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I forgot about the eating challenge. Its all circumstantial but it does seem that ever since his name was being thrown around by Chris and Michael and he was pushing so hard he's been trying to step back and drop off the radar. And this cast seems proactive enough that it could work as it seems like someone else gets inspired to play hard each week.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just started Cagayan and it's already magnificent. The Luzon tribe has got to be one of the most spectacular tire fires in Survivor history.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

mancalamania posted:

Over the summer, I was listening to some RHAP podcast about Big Brother where they pointed out how weird it is that these shows are so crucially built upon lies and yet it's surprisingly rare for someone to actually lie about an Event happening or not happening. Instead, 99% of the lies on Survivor are about who is alligned with who, who is *planning* to vote for who, who has or doesn't have an idol, etc. The podcasters questioned why players never try this other type of lie, where they just make up some super specific Event and just emphatically insist that it happened or didn't happen; the theory was that because this type of lie is so rare and unexpected on these shows that it would probably end up being surprisingly effective if someone tried it.

Anyway, that thought has been stuck in my head for like a year now, and I'd like to thank Desiree for illustrating that it's a bad idea after all. But A for effort! And the fact that Kellyn believed her for so long (especially given that Kellyn left Des out of the Chris vote just a few days prior!) is evidence that maybe there's still a kernel of a good idea here for the future.

I feel like a decent amount of this is the fact that things have a week to stew on Big Brother so the doubt created by the lie has more time to creep in. In Survivor, I think the periods between votes are so short that most people are going to err on the side of what seems to make more sense, rather than react severely to something that can’t really be substantiated.

Also, on average, I think BB contestants are much dumber.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know if they're dumber. They might be since BB casts more young folks and people who can abandon their lives for 3 months vs people who just take a month off from their lives for a long vacation/adventure.

But the format and time definitely changes thing. Not just all the time to really sell stuff and let paranoia takeover but also the big house where you can disappear easier and stuff. Plus you're talking about people who have relationships that are weeks and months old instead of days and weeks. And there's no "tribe split" so everyone knows everyone from Day 1 and are never separated. But also the HOH and nominations scenario changes things a lot.

So like, if Desi had schemed with a bunch of people and then confronted one of those same people in the kitchen in front of everyone and started lying and changing her story, it probably would have gone over just as well as it did on the beach. And if she had done that the day of nominations it might very well have gotten her nominated. Or if she was already nominated and she did it the day before evictions she'd be done. But if she did it the day after nominations than she'd have a week where no one could do anything about her and she could try and do damage control or sell her lies. And maybe the HOH is friendly to her or has an agenda. So like if Kellyn is HOH she's got Dom telling her to nominate Desi but she's dead set on getting Michael out and she controls the noms so can make sure Desi doesn't go up as an option. And then that creates more drama and consequences about "pawns" and who you trust which feeds into paranoia and lies more over the days and days of nothing to do but think.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

what about dark horse, helicopter-ride loving, seafood connoisseur SEABASS

Every season needs that one young guy who's not really doing much but having a good time and being a loyal follower I guess.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i would have done the same thing wendall did. as much as i'd be determined to win such a challenge, my gag reflex would make it impossible for me to eat that stuff without tossing it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Just listened to the Wiggle room on RHAP, what is this Michelle Yee scenario that they talked about for 15 minutes but never bothered to explain?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm assuming it refers to the situation in Survivor: Fiji, where half the contestants fought for immunity, sending the remainder to TC immediately with no time to strategize. Michelle was voted out at that TC when one of the contestants implied that he was voting for her and that was enough to send her home 3-2.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Lone Goat posted:

Just listened to the Wiggle room on RHAP, what is this Michelle Yee scenario that they talked about for 15 minutes but never bothered to explain?

I don't know how you listen to that Wiggle room stuff - it's the most intolerable podcast garbage this side of Corrine.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm assuming it refers to the situation in Survivor: Fiji, where half the contestants fought for immunity, sending the remainder to TC immediately with no time to strategize. Michelle was voted out at that TC when one of the contestants implied that he was voting for her and that was enough to send her home 3-2.

The other important element with Michelle was that the major alliances were known at that point and because of the random split it was in both teams interest to lose the challenge and vote off the member of the other alliance who is temporarily on your team.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SweetJahasus posted:

I don't know how you listen to that Wiggle room stuff - it's the most intolerable podcast garbage this side of Corrine.

The wandoff is actually extremely good, ya big dumdum.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mancalamania posted:

Desiree's lie doesn't fit what they were talking about, though! They were discussing the proactive lie. Desiree just got caught doing something and reacted by dishonestly denying it.

If in trying to boot Kellyn she'd gone up to Dom and said, "Kellyn said she's worried about your idol and we need to move on you soon," totally making that up, that'd have been more what they meant, right?

Lone Goat posted:

I like it okay. The first time someone layered in some wah wah wahs in the background it ruled and some of the people that enter are pretty talented but I've heard enough Survivor song parodies for a lifetime just by listening to about half of those. And there's so much Survivor content they put out, I've crossed the Wiggle room off the list and just listen to KIA and the recap/voice mails.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Lone Goat posted:

This is patently false and the wandoff is actually the part of them that is an abomination. If I wanted to listen to some shrill nerd sing, I'd just....no, there's no world wherein I, or anyone else, should want that.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah I skip most of the supplementary content but I'll listen to KIA, Wiggle room, and recap/voice mail but only if someone actually interesting is on (I've skipped like half of them this season, why the gently caress would I care what Figgy or Tyler Fredrickson has to say?)

This week's wandoff was pretty weak but most of the previous ones were pretty good. Sorry that some of you hate fun.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I never listen to it anymore but had to go back to check out Nick Maiorano's song.

Tyler's recap was actually one of the better ones this season I feel like. Figgy's was fun too and the only drawback there is that she's been trying real hard to get on any possible Survivor podcast or product. Neither of those people were particularly good Survivor characters but sometimes guests surprise you. otoh I was excited for Ali's appearance and then thought she really didn't have a clue what she was talking about, she kept repeating that people shouldn't get voted out "just because they're on the outs" and I was like what the hell do you think this show even is

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just skip the RHAP stuff you don't like. I skip the weekly Mike Bloom episode, the second half of the Recently Booted Interview episode with the history quiz, and the Wandoff.

If I could delete Jessica from Why Blank Lost, I would do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LMAO official fake idol

• Locked thread