Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Currently I am playing a lot of Ki No Kuni 2. I got the zepplin last night, so I have complete freedom to the gameworld and i'm not sure what to do now before I continue with the main story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Currently I am playing a lot of Ki No Kuni 2. I got the zepplin last night, so I have complete freedom to the gameworld and i'm not sure what to do now before I continue with the main story.

Mostly just fill out your citizens really

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

No announcement yet but it’s a flagship first-party game and there are some things in it that stand out as obvious add-on access points so I’d say it’s likely.

It’s absolutely worth buying right now, though.

Horizon did a similar thing last year where they said "no planned DLC" but then after a couple months when it was a gigundo bazillion seller they said "okay we found some DLC under the couch." Probably to keep stragglers from waiting on some kind of GOTY edition.

That being said GoW like HZD is a totally complete-feeling game at release and doesn't need an expansion although I'd gladly welcome it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think I finished Part Time UFO after getting all the medals and buying all the cute UFOutfits. I thought that would unlock something beyond the ending but it didn't! Still had a great time with the game; cute little distraction.

Anyways it was nice to have an actual game on my phone to play for like a couple minutes at a time and I'm looking for something similar.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thinking about Horizon and how good it was, hearing how good the new God of War is and knowing how good Bloodbourne is made me wonder how much it cost to make those three games.

It looks like HZD is roughly $45million, Bloodbourne is around $20 million and God of war I am going to average about $55 million. $120 million for three really good games that are all exclusive to the PS4.

This generation could have been so different if instead of spending $2 billion to buy Minecraft, microsoft had used just a quarter of that on 6 attempts at finding a new game for themselves.

Heck, even going all out and making as many Triple A exclusives in that $2 billion as possible, some are bound to have stuck. It would make more sense than buying Minecraft.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

Thinking about Horizon and how good it was, hearing how good the new God of War is and knowing how good Bloodbourne is made me wonder how much it cost to make those three games.

It looks like HZD is roughly $45million, Bloodbourne is around $20 million and God of war I am going to average about $55 million. $120 million for three really good games that are all exclusive to the PS4.

This generation could have been so different if instead of spending $2 billion to buy Minecraft, microsoft had used just a quarter of that on 6 attempts at finding a new game for themselves.

Heck, even going all out and making as many Triple A exclusives in that $2 billion as possible, some are bound to have stuck. It would make more sense than buying Minecraft.

The Minecraft deal has actually probably been profitable for them? All the licensed stuff that comes out for it means that Microsoft rakes in money from licensees without doing much.

And specifically the Minecraft deal was because Microsoft had a bunch of offshore money that they could not repatriate without paying taxes on. Since the worst tax law in history was passed and includes provisions that basically say the US Government has given up on taxing that...

Once again, Happy May Day people

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Minecraft is absolutely gigantic though, and has insane longevity. I think it's old hat for 'gamers', but basically every parent in the West is sticking an iPad with Minecraft into their kid's hands.

A quick google suggests it has like 75 million monthly unique players.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

And specifically the Minecraft deal was because Microsoft had a bunch of offshore money that they could not repatriate without paying taxes on. Since the worst tax law in history was passed and includes provisions that basically say the US Government has given up on taxing that...

Once again, Happy May Day people

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jeza posted:

Minecraft is absolutely gigantic though, and has insane longevity. I think it's old hat for 'gamers', but basically every parent in the West is sticking an iPad with Minecraft into their kid's hands.

A quick google suggests it has like 75 million monthly unique players.

The bigger issue is they picked it up waaaay too late, both because they missed it out during some of its best years, and because it had versions on every other console including PS3, PS4 and PS Vita.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox doesnt own minecraft, ms does.
Xbox would never be given 2 bn to buy a game studio because theyd just loving close it down and tell a bad lie about why

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Awhile back there was some rumor floating around that MS would buy exclusivity rights to Cyberpunk 2077 but that was probably just wishful thinking.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Awhile back there was some rumor floating around that MS would buy exclusivity rights to Cyberpunk 2077 but that was probably just wishful thinking.

They were trying to buy a chunk of cdpr iirc but it didnt work out.
They have a strong marketing and codevelopment relationship since witcher2 and i expect that to continue.
Cp2077 will deffo be on the xbox stage even if 2 3rds of all witcher3 sales were on ps4

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

cheetah7071 posted:

I said it in the RPG thread and I'll say it again here

the ojousama ohoho laugh is one of the most annoying sounds humans are capable of producing
literally the wrongest anyone has ever loving got it.

jesus christ

jesus loving christ

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I finished A Way Out last night and I spent the last two hours in hysterics. What the gently caress is going on in this world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

exquisite tea posted:

Cyberpunk is looking like vaporware anyways.

We have yet to see 1 second of gameplay.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be great going solely off this over five year old video of Mike Pondsmith pitching it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxt7cwDk4E

Mike Pondsmith is badass

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the Ojousama laugh is badass too, Frieza does it all the time in new Dragonball

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
We'll they've got something at E3 since they're on the show list.

It'll be Witcher 1 Remake in VR. It's like you're really earning those cards.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Zaphod42 posted:

take it back TAKE IT BACK

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

They were trying to buy a chunk of cdpr iirc but it didnt work out.
They have a strong marketing and codevelopment relationship since witcher2 and i expect that to continue.
Cp2077 will deffo be on the xbox stage even if 2 3rds of all witcher3 sales were on ps4

By extension I think there's effectively no chance of anything put out by CDPR to be Xbox-exclusive in any real capacity. For-sure anything they make would also be on PS4 and DRM-free PC via GOG day-and-date.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Imagine throwing up all over your living room in Witcher VR because you tried to turn and run and game flipped you back into combat and somersaulted you across an entire field. The future is wild.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zaphod42 posted:

Supposedly they'll be showing a lot at E3. Also I think the rumor was that MS purchased exclusive marketing rights. So like when you see a commercial for the game its followed by the Xbox logo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We've seen more of Cyberpunk than Resi 2 remake....

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rumors are its far into development as a deus ex style fps and will appear in the ms show but who knows

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't wait to roll a technomage in the definitely coming out soon video game, Cyberpunk 2077. I'll be real popular, some might even say a star citizen.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

It'll be Witcher 1 Remake in VR. It's like you're really earning those cards.

I already have Yennifer as my voiced companion in Skyrim VR, why would you want anything else

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

MMF Freeway posted:

Supposedly they'll be showing a lot at E3. Also I think the rumor was that MS purchased exclusive marketing rights. So like when you see a commercial for the game its followed by the Xbox logo

Yeah, it seems like Tomb Raider R3boot has this too. All the promos have big XBOX logos, but it's set to release all platforms same day.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

We've seen more of Cyberpunk than Resi 2 remake....

I dont trust capcom to do anything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, it seems like Tomb Raider R3boot has this too. All the promos have big XBOX logos, but it's set to release all platforms same day.

Not too sure about this, like Sony and Steam each have their own channels promoting the game and it displays all 3 platforms in the thumbnail. They might get a gameplay showcase on the XB stage though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Console Marketing Exclusive

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
WORLD PREMIERE

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The idea of a cyberpunk RPG sounds cool to me but playing and really disliking The Witcher 3 the more distance I have away from it has kind of killed any interest I could have in CDPR making it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

VideoGames posted:

while I agree MS could have done A LOT more in terms of exclusives and didn't do enough to ensure success for what they tried to do (Phantom Dust, Scalebound) Microsoft is still making a lot of money from the Minecraft deal so it was still good for them Is the XBOX1/X as profitable as the PS4? No, but it's still profitable for them everywhere except Nippon.

Sony is just way more focused/interested in console gaming than Microsoft and owns studios like Naughty Dog/Santa Monica/etc that have had years to perfect their craft. Xbox is a good system but in terms of exclusive games, only Sony has the madmen who want to make Spiderman games, hire Hideo Kojima, and fund Bloodborne. At the end of the day it's all business but yeah Sony is just far more interesting in the console space.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MS seems uninterested in making the X-Box anything more than a proprietary Win10 gaming machine if they don't pull out of the console market altogether, which is unfortunate because competition is good for the industry and exclusives are where you tend to find games that aren't multiplatform service-based monstrosities.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

But then some of the best games came from times when there might as well have only been one console on the market.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm 34 today and listening to TMBG

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeah, "competition is good" doesn't really apply to videogames because publishers/devs still want to sell a bunch of games even if there is only one platform in existence.

The best way to sell games is to make good ones.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Happy birthday

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

You're older than you've ever been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU