Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

:allears: That German music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

my parents boyfriend posted:

I just covered a neckbeard story and for some reason nothing loses me subscribers quite like using a trans person's preferred pronouns. Maybe that says something about some of my audience. Most of them are great, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYJQKsXybc

I just started watching your stuff last week, I think your videos are pretty entertaining.

Sorry about the turkey, we used to have a turkey that belonged to the neighbors constantly hang around our house and go after cars. It wandered out onto the road and was hit, but it was a pretty chill bird other than hating cars.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Totalbiscuit has retired as a games critic due to his health
https://www.reddit.com/r/cynicalbritofficial/comments/8g4eoj/official_totalbiscuits_future/

He will be continuing his podcast and plans to stream co-op games with his wife to support the family.

Expected yet still depressing :smith:

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

We're coming up on a full month since the CA implosion. Unfortunately, it looks like their subscriber loss may be petering out, but I really hope I'm wrong, because it'd be really nice to see them go under a million as a result of this whole thing. With the general tenor of their response, they certainly deserve worse (although frankly, I'm not convinced a sincere apology would have worked - it's amazingly insulting that they couldn't even muster an "oops, we hosed up, yeah, this was our fault", but the complaints made were really beyond the level where that would have fixed anything).

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah, I don't see why people who didn't unsub a month ago would do so now.

I would ask if their view numbers have gone down or stayed the same, but has Doug even been putting out videos since the exodus?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brad still hasn’t commented at all on the CA thing right?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

At this point, what could he say?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Brad still hasn’t commented at all on the CA thing right?

He's kind of commented...

https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/990419453149171715

https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/990419823980105728

https://twitter.com/AaronPynn71/status/990631207741378560

https://twitter.com/thecinemasnob/status/990635228107608064

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

21 Muns posted:

We're coming up on a full month since the CA implosion. Unfortunately, it looks like their subscriber loss may be petering out, but I really hope I'm wrong, because it'd be really nice to see them go under a million as a result of this whole thing. With the general tenor of their response, they certainly deserve worse (although frankly, I'm not convinced a sincere apology would have worked - it's amazingly insulting that they couldn't even muster an "oops, we hosed up, yeah, this was our fault", but the complaints made were really beyond the level where that would have fixed anything).

I’ve learned from naziwatch threads that the bulk of subscriptions for long-lived channels can be inactive accounts or people who just never bothered to unsubscribe but no longer watch. Somebody like Carl Benjamin/Sargon has hundreds of thousands of subscriptions but new videos only get tens of thousands of views.

A legitimate expert is welcome to correct me on this (I’m repeating secondhand here), but the explanation is that the big reactionary channels at least live and die on attracting edgy teens or depressed underemployed 30-somethings, and both those audiences have a lot of turnover. It’s entirely possible that Channel Awesome is in a similar position insofar as the bulk of Doug’s audience has been kids who grow out of that lame poo poo or get summer jobs or start dating or whatever.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I just covered a neckbeard story and for some reason nothing loses me subscribers quite like using a trans person's preferred pronouns. Maybe that says something about some of my audience. Most of them are great, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYJQKsXybc

That's a decent (in that repulsive way) story, but I'm not sure what "feminazi legbeard tendencies" means.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Falstaff posted:

That's a decent (in that repulsive way) story, but I'm not sure what "feminazi legbeard tendencies" means.

Women who won’t shave their legs. Duh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

business hammocks posted:

I’ve learned from naziwatch threads that the bulk of subscriptions for long-lived channels can be inactive accounts or people who just never bothered to unsubscribe but no longer watch. Somebody like Carl Benjamin/Sargon has hundreds of thousands of subscriptions but new videos only get tens of thousands of views.

A legitimate expert is welcome to correct me on this (I’m repeating secondhand here), but the explanation is that the big reactionary channels at least live and die on attracting edgy teens or depressed underemployed 30-somethings, and both those audiences have a lot of turnover. It’s entirely possible that Channel Awesome is in a similar position insofar as the bulk of Doug’s audience has been kids who grow out of that lame poo poo or get summer jobs or start dating or whatever.

It's especially true since YouTube added that notification thing, where you have to Double Plus Subscribe to people. It's easy to be subbed to someone and never see their videos on your feed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Oh for Christ's sake, Brad :rolleyes:

Well, if that's what you really want [unsubscribes]

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
god, I really dont care about channel awesome drama anymore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh for Christ's sake, Brad :rolleyes:

Well, if that's what you really want [unsubscribes]
Not sure how that helps anything for him. He is one of the few people close to CA who has not commented at all on this whole thing.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!

logger posted:

I just started watching your stuff last week, I think your videos are pretty entertaining.

Sorry about the turkey, we used to have a turkey that belonged to the neighbors constantly hang around our house and go after cars. It wandered out onto the road and was hit, but it was a pretty chill bird other than hating cars.

Thank you! Ah yeah, I miss the turkey. When I was making videos I'd always go out and give her bread and pet her. I guess we'll see what I do to take a break now.

And about the feminazi legbeard tendencies? I couldn't figure out the meaning of that line either. But I liked the rest of the story a lot.

my parents boyfriend fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 1, 2018

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tired Moritz posted:

god, I really dont care about channel awesome drama anymore.

Thanks for the update

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

business hammocks posted:

YouTube also still shows you content based in your watch behavior and not your subs. This means that if you have a lot of subs, it's easy for people you dont like or care about to stay in your subs even if you never watch them. Notably, I just realized I'm still subbed to the G2A YouTube channel, a garbage company that runs entirely on credit card fraud because I did it for a giveaway a year ago (got a free keyboard :smug:)

This also hurts creators that don't update often, and I mostly use this thread to tell me when irregular updater like Lindsay Ellis, Todd in the Shadows or Noah Gervais post something new because YouTube won't tell me.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

BobbyK posted:

Thanks for the update

It's nice that you like pointing at CA and shouting how they hosed up, but honestly, it's just making this thread a bummer.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
America Is the Monster - The Host | Renegade Cut

The title says it all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tired Moritz posted:

It's nice that you like pointing at CA and shouting how they hosed up, but honestly, it's just making this thread a bummer.

I'm really just waiting until there's a big update before I comment again aside from this post. Otherwise it's back to watching Phelous and waiting for Baywatching.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Acute Grill posted:

YouTube also still shows you content based in your watch behavior and not your subs. This means that if you have a lot of subs, it's easy for people you dont like or care about to stay in your subs even if you never watch them. Notably, I just realized I'm still subbed to the G2A YouTube channel, a garbage company that runs entirely on credit card fraud because I did it for a giveaway a year ago (got a free keyboard :smug:)

This also hurts creators that don't update often, and I mostly use this thread to tell me when irregular updater like Lindsay Ellis, Todd in the Shadows or Noah Gervais post something new because YouTube won't tell me.

I just use the subscriptions tab and never bother with the homepage. :shrug: I've never noticed anything missing and even channels I barely watch or haven't seen anything from in years still show up. Like, it's been literally years since I watched anything from Ill Will Press, but they just released a podcast or something and it's the top of my subs right now.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

drama owns.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Thank you! Ah yeah, I miss the turkey. When I was making videos I'd always go out and give her bread and pet her. I guess we'll see what I do to take a break now.

And about the feminazi legbeard tendencies? I couldn't figure out the meaning of that line either. But I liked the rest of the story a lot.

"Feminazi legbeard" means either "Feminist who is stricter than I am/who I don't like" or "Woman who has gone off the deep end and turned into a caricature of a tumblrite." Judging from the story, it could be either; bad behavior is likely to run in families, but also the storyteller is really into trying to make other people into THE WORST EVER OH MY GOD YOU GUYS.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not sure how that helps anything for him. He is one of the few people close to CA who has not commented at all on this whole thing.
Sticking with CA and not saying anything is tacit to siding with them. It's possible he's bound by some sort of weird contract, but we don't know that and his only response being flippant gifs doesn't help anything.

I don't think unsubscribing is some kind of unreasonable response.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 1, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

rujasu posted:

Yeah, I don't see why people who didn't unsub a month ago would do so now.

I would ask if their view numbers have gone down or stayed the same, but has Doug even been putting out videos since the exodus?

Doug has still been producing, but the views have been way down.

His sibling rivalry of the new avengers had some of the lowest week one viewership of the entire channel. Let that sink in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Pants Donkey posted:

Sticking with CA and not saying anything is tacit to siding with them. It's possible he's bound by some sort of weird comic, but we don't know that and his only response being flippant gifs doesn't help anything.

I don't think unsubscribing is some kind of unreasonable response.

Exactly. Brad has long since slipped into "slience implies consent" territory w/r/t CA. gently caress, Doug has come out with a clearer statement on the matter than Brad has. So yeah I'm all for not bothering him about it, but his time to save his reputation passed by weeks ago. And if after a month his only word on the matter is tantamount to "gently caress off" then yeah, I'm done with him as a person I like to watch. I have as much right to not watch someone's content for any reason as I do to watch it for whatever reason :shrug:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Exactly. Brad has long since slipped into "slience implies consent" territory w/r/t CA. gently caress, Doug has come out with a clearer statement on the matter than Brad has. So yeah I'm all for not bothering him about it, but his time to save his reputation passed by weeks ago. And if after a month his only word on the matter is tantamount to "gently caress off" then yeah, I'm done with him as a person I like to watch. I have as much right to not watch someone's content for any reason as I do to watch it for whatever reason :shrug:

As a long running patreon of his, retracting it and unsubbing has kinda been the route I've gone down. Loved the guy's stuff since 09, but I'm just done with the silence and implied consent. No contract can be that loving airtight on even communication (and if it is why the gently caress did you ever sign that?).

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Innuendo Studios has a new video on the "Ship of Theseus", and this episode is denser and more ambiguous than others but is still very important.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I don't think his silence implies anything beyond not wanting to get involved in the drama. Isn't he personal friends with the Walkers?

In any case, I've been watching his stuff for years and I'll continue to do so.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I just use the subscriptions tab and never bother with the homepage. :shrug: I've never noticed anything missing and even channels I barely watch or haven't seen anything from in years still show up. Like, it's been literally years since I watched anything from Ill Will Press, but they just released a podcast or something and it's the top of my subs right now.

I try to use it as well, but I have enough other subs that update daily or close enough to it that it's easy to miss history's greatest monsters who refuse to stick to a schedule and also don't use obvious thumbnails.

Also this weird growing sentiment that we're entitled to watching Brad Jones joining into the latest Two Minutes Hate is kinda gross imo.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually your attitude is way grosser.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

This came out and you fuckers are talking about star wars still? christ

It HAS a SOUNDTRACK

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Grondoth posted:

This came out and you fuckers are talking about star wars still? christ

It HAS a SOUNDTRACK

It's a super good soundtrack too.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Actually your attitude is way grosser.

No, u

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

I don't think his silence implies anything beyond not wanting to get involved in the drama. Isn't he personal friends with the Walkers?
I feel like the whole mess has gone past the point where "drama" is a good description of it. Like, "drama" is one producer slept with another producer's spouse or something. This is years of abuse and exploitation of labor, peppered with misogyny.

In Brad's case, there's a difference giving a friend the benefit of the doubt and being a coward. At some point being a good friend means calling them out on their poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 'I don't do drama' is for like 'I heard that guy hosed his partner's wife, that's hosed up', this is more 'the people I work for are overt abusers both personally and professionally'. He should probably talk on that.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Playstation 4 posted:

The only thing that will cause Brad to leave, it seems, is Doug sleeping with his wife.

I posted this on March 25, only half serious and expecting to be proven wrong.

I haven't been yet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
never mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I don't think anyone here knows why Brad Jones has not left Channel Awesome, but can we at least agree that @ing him on twitter to shame him for it is overly invasive? If you don't agree with his decisions than boycott his videos if you really want to.

Edit:Joking about Brad Jones's personal life and decisions just seems a little gross to me.

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 2, 2018