Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
One thing that's been working really well for us is "farting" our baby in addition to burping. It's shocking how many farts you can squeeze out (where was he hiding all of them?!), and it's made a significant difference to his fussiness and his ability to nurse. My wife and I joke that he's "making room", but honestly that's exactly what it looks like, as he's much consistent at the boob.

The doc recommended bicycle kicks to elicit farts, but actually the best technique we've used is to gently hold both of his legs up and against his belly and just keep them there for 5-10 seconds, then lower for 5-10 seconds, and repeat. He seriously farts once a cycle with this method. I do it every diaper change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

They make a product specifically for releasing baby gas
We called it a butt straw. It made him poop too sometimes.

https://www.fridababy.com/product/windi/

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Is there a trick to burping? We also have a 3 week old who's gassy and fussy, even though she only gets fed from the bottle once per day.

All the burping positions and techniques you find in books and online seem to not to have much of an effect. She might burp sometimes if she's laid down for a 5-10 minute spell after a feed and then is burped again, but it's very much a hit or miss.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Tonton Macoute posted:

Is there a trick to burping? We also have a 3 week old who's gassy and fussy, even though she only gets fed from the bottle once per day.

All the burping positions and techniques you find in books and online seem to not to have much of an effect. She might burp sometimes if she's laid down for a 5-10 minute spell after a feed and then is burped again, but it's very much a hit or miss.

No tricks here, but rest easy know that we too are at 3 weeks (exactly!), and are experiencing this same issue. Today went a lot better for us than yesterday. I think we did a better job of making sure we at least got a small burp out of her after each feeding, no matter how long it took. Adjusting her position on our shoulder to encourage the burps seems to work well. She also loves being on our shoulder in general - it really seems to soothe her when nothing else will. We also sit her up after each feeding before we burp her to help let the milk settle before we burp her.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
May be hit them harder or for longer. I remember with my first son I wasn’t hitting nearly hard enough

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Try sitting her upright in your lap

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Three week olds are digestive disasters. When babies are born, they have the relaxin from mom in their systems (relaxin makes it so the pelvis can loosen and all that) and it helps relax the digestive system. Around the three week mark, that starts fading and now baby has to learn how to poop allllll on their own. It’s spectacularly hard... relaxing and tensing at the same time.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

rgocs posted:

The only variables outside of you child's RNG. Kids can change from :swoon: to :barf: from one bite to the next.

This happened with eggs. :( She went from eating half a boiled egg with toast for breakfast to no eggs in recognizable egg form. :sigh:

Hi_Bears posted:

I’m ambivalent about breastfeeding my second. I really had no issues the first time around so figure I’ll try it again, but I am jealous of my formula feeding friends who have so much more freedom, can have someone else do middle of the night feedings etc. (I know I can pump but pumping is a bitch and just as time consuming as nursing)

If I were to go back to the moment when I was pump shopping, I would definitely have gone for one of these instead:

https://www.willowpump.com/
https://www.freemiebreastpumps.co.nz/

skeetied posted:

Three week olds are digestive disasters. When babies are born, they have the relaxin from mom in their systems (relaxin makes it so the pelvis can loosen and all that) and it helps relax the digestive system. Around the three week mark, that starts fading and now baby has to learn how to poop allllll on their own. It’s spectacularly hard... relaxing and tensing at the same time.

We did not experience this until she started solids. Now how well she poops depends on how well she's eaten. Also did anyone experience the thing where baby wants to go really badly but keeps straightening their legs instead of bending them? Quite a few times now we've had to help her out with the process by bending her legs. Have tried to put her on the toilet a few times when we know she wants to go but all that does is confuse her and make her anxious.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
So we started introducing solid foods to our almost 6 month old just the other week. We started with rice cereal mixed with formula and at first he loved it. He seemed to immediately understand what to do with a spoon and seemed to enjoy sitting with mom and dad and eating like a big boy. He wouldn’t ever finish a whole bowl, but he would get a dozen or more spoonfuls in before losing interest.

However, once we started trying some jar sweet potatoes that all changed. He seemed to really hate the sweet potatoes and now whenever we try to feed him anything with a spoon, he closes his mouth super tightly and leans back as far as he can in his chair to get away. We tried going back to just rice cereal but now we get the same reaction no matter what is on the spoon.

We haven’t tried any jar fruits yet because we didn’t want to get him so accustomed to sweet stuff right away. Should we try the fruit to maybe win him back over to the spoon or just keep trying the same stuff? Any advice or a point towards resources on feeding that have helped for others would be appreciated. We don’t want our big boy eating from a bottle forever.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Lord Wexia posted:

So we started introducing solid foods to our almost 6 month old just the other week. We started with rice cereal mixed with formula and at first he loved it. He seemed to immediately understand what to do with a spoon and seemed to enjoy sitting with mom and dad and eating like a big boy. He wouldn’t ever finish a whole bowl, but he would get a dozen or more spoonfuls in before losing interest.

However, once we started trying some jar sweet potatoes that all changed. He seemed to really hate the sweet potatoes and now whenever we try to feed him anything with a spoon, he closes his mouth super tightly and leans back as far as he can in his chair to get away. We tried going back to just rice cereal but now we get the same reaction no matter what is on the spoon.

We haven’t tried any jar fruits yet because we didn’t want to get him so accustomed to sweet stuff right away. Should we try the fruit to maybe win him back over to the spoon or just keep trying the same stuff? Any advice or a point towards resources on feeding that have helped for others would be appreciated. We don’t want our big boy eating from a bottle forever.

Two things from my perspective. One, the spoon avoidance may or may not be related to the food itself. I remember our son being very anti-spoon right from the beginning since it made him not feel in control, but the same food that he could pick up with his hands was A-ok. Even now a year later at 18 months, he is still really picky about us putting a spoon near his mouth, and will only allow it if you let him guide it in.

Second, I really wouldn't worry about "sweet stuff" since humans are designed to eat and love fruit. Our son eats piles of different fruits every day and loves them all. He is also a great veggie eater, but that definitely came on slower than the fruits. IIRC we worked our way from sweeter veggies like butternut squash down to more basic greens over time.

Most grocers sell frozen butternut squash cubes that are super easy to microwave and basically melt in a kid's mouth. This or infant safe melty cracker things would be a good experiment to see if he would rather just put the food in his mouth on his own.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

In the same vein you could look into infant led weaning.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Try one of those mesh or silicone feeders if you’re worried about choking. You can put in mushy food like avocado, banana, steamed sweet potato and let them gum at it. They’re in control but no big pieces will fall in their throat.

We did BLW and it was great. He’s an expert at gagging and spitting out whatever he can’t swallow, even now at 2 when he jams whole waffles in his mouth. Ironically he has been making me spoon feed him even though he is perfectly capable of feeding himself. He hands me the fork and says “mommy’s turn” with a big smile.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alterian posted:

In the same vein you could look into infant led weaning.

Yeah. My youngest is super iffy with a spoon, it just depends on mood, but if it's something he can grab and do himself, he's all over it. Most of it is cubes of various steamed root veggies, avocado, peas, banana, apples and pears (maybe microwaved briefly if they're pretty hard). As summer comes, we'll be adding a lot of squash and watermelon and other summer treats. As SpaceCadetBob suggested he loves those teething biscuit things too. One of those smeared with a little creamy peanut butter is one of his favorites.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hi_Bears posted:

Ironically he has been making me spoon feed him even though he is perfectly capable of feeding himself. He hands me the fork and says “mommy’s turn” with a big smile.

Same, but mine is 5.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so, we're having a weird issue with the pacifier

my daughter is 3, she's just about done potty training (still in the occasional accidents phase) and so we thought we'd tackle the binky next. previously, kid MUST have a binky + lion, her comfort item. not having either of these objects would provoke a bedtime meltdown and we've spent upwards of a half hour looking for that drat lion

anyway my wife took initiative on ending the binky habit. maybe too suddenly, we started telling kid that it was time for her to give up binky and, i wanted to give her a few days to ready herself for the change, but binky was taken away that night. it went ok, there was tears, and pleas, and bargaining, but we held firm. but this provoked an unexpected side effect - she rejected lion as well! not just rejected, that poor bastard is all but exiled from her bedroom. lion and his right hand man, pink bear, both of them are being assertively dismissed in favor of a rotating cast of lesser stuffed animal friends who were bedmates but never gathered any particular attention

and i mean assertively. i tried to give kid lion last night, she got out of bed and hurled him into her ball pit along with pink bear. (this may have been a reenactment of how a playmate teased her by taking lion away, a few days before the binky trouble). i figured, ok, lion sleeps in the ball pit now with some other stuffed animals. but a few hours later when i went to open her bedroom door, i found lion half stuffed underneath the door as if she was trying to evict him (she can't open doors yet)

i dunno what the point of this post is. catharsis? any thoughts or insights here? we've asked her if she's mad at us, or mad at lion - her behavior definitely seems like she's displacing some anger. but she says she isn't mad, she just doesn't want lion anymore. my wife thinks kid is trying to assert control over her loss of binky by rejecting the combination of binky + lion, but why drag pink bear into this also? normally kid is very up front with her emotions and is able to articulate inner thoughts with a minimum of stuttering or child dream logic, so i dont think she is mad, but bedtime has become more of an extended process of negotiation now

in the meantime, lion and bear are sleeping with us because we both feel sentimentally sorry for inanimate objects i guess

e: found a picture online, behold the face of suffering

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 25, 2018

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

laxbro posted:

No tricks here, but rest easy know that we too are at 3 weeks (exactly!), and are experiencing this same issue. Today went a lot better for us than yesterday. I think we did a better job of making sure we at least got a small burp out of her after each feeding, no matter how long it took. Adjusting her position on our shoulder to encourage the burps seems to work well. She also loves being on our shoulder in general - it really seems to soothe her when nothing else will. We also sit her up after each feeding before we burp her to help let the milk settle before we burp her.

I'm a bit late on baby burping chat but when i was pregnant with my first kid, i read that burping is a western cultural phenomenon and not done in other parts of the world. So as an experiment, i never burped the baby and it was fine. Kid #2 is 5 weeks old and they don't get burped after every feed either. Both exculsively breast fed (maybe it's more important with bottle feeding?) Kid 2 has a tongue tie and tends to suck in more air when feeding and about once a week will get uncomfortable after a feed so I'll sit them upright, pat their back a couple of times and they'll burp but that's the extent of it.

Here's an article maybe you don't need to burp your baby

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I love the last comment on that article.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

I love the last comment on that article.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. :perfect:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
There was a second gastroenteritis outbreak this season at my oldest son daycare. Of course he brought it back home.

Then I got it. Then one of the twins. Then my girlfriend. Then the other twin. I’ve been cleaning up vomit and diarrhea for almost 2 full weeks now. Also sleeping even less than our already lovely average.

This morning the oldest injured his foot, we hope he didn’t break anything but I need to take another day off to take him to the doc.

My students are complaining that I have a short temper these days. I’m pretty proud that I haven’t thrown a single one out the window.

[quote="boner confessor" post="483501462"

[/quote]

I enjoyed that story thanks.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 26, 2018

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I actually stopped burping my baby about 2 weeks ago after watching a video on YouTube about the Thompson method of breastfeeding.

It’s made breastfeeding so much easier on me and bub and we don’t have so much fussing at the breast now I watch for her cues.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I have a dog and baby question. It's a tricky one to google for, so even basic guidance would be cool

We've had our dog for about 6 years now. She's a rescue, which I only mention because she came to us with a few phobias - like loud noises, feet, and strange men. Dogs, right?

Anyway, our son is 1 month old and ever since we brought him home the dog has acted as a surrogate mother. Very protective and very sweet. It's been great. except for one thing: whenever I approach the baby suddenly, she'll immediately sprint over and put herself between us. She's even barked and whined, and once even growled, though immediately showed submissive signs when I looked at her in response

I'm not sure what to make of it. A couple years back I began making an effort at learning dog's body language and began noticing some patterns - for example, when my wife and I fight she almost always attempts to "split" us and disarm the situation. It's really cute (and often works)

This feels similar, but the aggression is different. She doesn't snap at me, and she doesn't grow a "mohawk" which is her go-to "I am pissed off at this situation" sign, but she's clearly not a fan of what I'm doing. She doesn't do this behavior toward my wife, though the dynamic is also a bit different - I'm often the one getting the baby to bring to my sitting wife

The current gameplan is to use treats to reward calm reactions to me approaching the baby, but this really feels more like a 'pack dynamic' thing than a behavioral problem. It makes me nervous as I know most dog-related problems are when they view themselves higher in the pecking order

Any advice?

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Between walks, just swaddle the dog very tightly. Don't worry, you won't hurt it; it's actually quite soothing, and the dog feels like they're back in the womb.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I think the dog is just having to readjust to the new pecking order now that there is an addition to the pack. If you keep reinforcing that you are alpha she will get used to the new normal. The good news is that she has not shown any aggression towards the baby. It doesn’t hurt to get a few sessions with a trainer to get ahead of any potential issues.

We have a rescue too and luckily she didn’t come with many issues (barks aggressively at certain people but I think she’s just smart and can identify that some people are sketchy). It has been the sweetest thing watching our 2 year old grow up with her. Kid is seriously obsessed with the dog and dog tolerates her fair share of abuse very well (he tries to use her as a ride-on toy, tries to pull her tail, poke her butt, gets upset if she tried to play with her own dog toys...)

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Our newborn was born with a full head of hair, and it is even longer now at 3 weeks. We just had her laying down on her mat in our living room, and she went from looking serenely out the window to screaming bloody murder. I ran over and she had a fist full of her hair scrunched up in her hand on the top of her scalp and was pulling it. The louder she screamed the tighter her fist wrapped around hair. Should we give her a haircut? Having her wear a hat all the time doesn't seem feasible. Will she soon learn that pulling her hair hurts? Any other ideas?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Mittens. Probably just a freak accident due to a reflex

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Mittens. Probably just a freak accident due to a reflex

From the mom of another baby mop-top, I agree.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

laxbro posted:

Our newborn was born with a full head of hair, and it is even longer now at 3 weeks. We just had her laying down on her mat in our living room, and she went from looking serenely out the window to screaming bloody murder. I ran over and she had a fist full of her hair scrunched up in her hand on the top of her scalp and was pulling it. The louder she screamed the tighter her fist wrapped around hair. Should we give her a haircut? Having her wear a hat all the time doesn't seem feasible. Will she soon learn that pulling her hair hurts? Any other ideas?

I feel like on some level newborns have Alien Hand Syndrome. A non-trivial amount of crying from both of mine was based on things like, "This hand is grabbing my ear, make it stop!" or "Why won't these hands stop hitting me in the nose!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The last couple of years I've been seeing Facebook posts that are basically :byodame: CREEPER ALERT!. I'm sure NextDoor has their own share of these as well. While I definitely understand parents are going to be vigilant about perceived threats to their children's safety, sometimes it seems like paranoia. This is because the 'alerts' that are shared are often things so benign that even if the person was being creepy it would be really hard to prove it. Generally the individual in question is unknown aside from a description /photo the parent took, and in nearly all of them the person doesn't even interact with the kid at all. This isn't some guy with a mullet handing out free candy from his panel van, it's some guy sitting at the park with his dog.

Then there is the fact that most abuse /molestation comes from people fairly close to children - a cousin, uncle, coach, family friend, etc. These parents certainly aren't putting those folks on blast, they're doing it to total strangers.

People want to do the right thing, but their 'radar' can often be poorly calibrated for processing actual threats and concerns. They either blindly ignore a threat right in their face or freak out about every man in IKEA walking fifteen feet behind them. Sometimes I wonder if these types of Facebook posts serve more to validate the parent posting them rather than actually helping identify some pervert.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
My son is 18 months, and we have been weaning him off breastfeeding over the last month. He was still going at it 3 times a day. But now we are down to just the last one before bed. I was looking around google, but didnt have much luck with the wether or not we should give him some sort of right before bed snack to make up for the last feeding?

Anyone got any experience with this?

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

My son is 18 months, and we have been weaning him off breastfeeding over the last month. He was still going at it 3 times a day. But now we are down to just the last one before bed. I was looking around google, but didnt have much luck with the wether or not we should give him some sort of right before bed snack to make up for the last feeding?

Anyone got any experience with this?

We replaced the morning and night nursing with a bottle of cow’s milk. When is dinner and when is bedtime? We still pretty much just go to bath and bedtime immediately after dinner so if that’s the case I don’t think snack is necessary. If it’s an hour or two between dinner and bed then I would offer a small snack. But once you wean fully he’ll probably eat more solids and solids digest way slower so he may not need anything. I know that on days when my toddler barely eats he still sleeps just fine.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

laxbro posted:

My kid was born with a ton of hair, too. Seconding mittens! Or those long sleeve onesies with the parts on the sleeves you can fold over their hands. We used those a lot! My little dude would get so mad at hats (and still won't wear them even now as a 17 month old). I will say, though, that having 'free' hand time is imperative, too, so even if you do use covers/mittens make sure to give plenty of time with them off, too, so she can figure out how fingers work.

I wouldn't worry about a haircut unless it's problematic in other ways, like getting in her eyes and ears. It was probably just an accident and I'd be surprised if it happens frequently.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My 2.5 month old has some lovely sleeping habits and it sucks.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
For anyone that uses [gasp!] formula, I highly recommend the Baby Brezza. It makes those middle of the night feedings so much easier, because you can make a bottle really fast. If you are frequently getting up during the night it will save you prep time.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

My 2.5 month old has some lovely sleeping habits and it sucks.

Whatever awful stage kiddo is going through, it will change in a week. It may not be better, per se, but it will definitely be different.

Too bad this applies to the good phases too.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Hey regarding sleep training, what’s at stake if I you know, don’t do it?

Bub can be rocked or walked to sleep after watching for sleep cues and doesn’t feed to sleep except at the end of cluster feeding before she conks out for a long stretch of sleep at night.

She’s almost 10 weeks old and I’m thinking if I were to start, not to stress until 3 or 4 months old. The reason I’d like to is to make transition to child care easier. I’m a big softie though and I really enjoy the cuddles before she sleeps.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

femcastra posted:

Hey regarding sleep training, what’s at stake if I you know, don’t do it?

Having a 2 year old who still wakes up during the night or wants to sleep in your bed?

Not to start another division again, but I was pro them sleeping in their own bed and not mine. Some hold a different view.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Oodles posted:

Having a 2 year old who still wakes up during the night or wants to sleep in your bed?

Not to start another division again, but I was pro them sleeping in their own bed and not mine. Some hold a different view.

She sleeps in her own bassinet and we intend to have her move to a cot in her own room after 6 months.

I guess my phrasing could have been clearer, I was more referring to self-soothing for day naps. Right now we rock her to sleep then put her down, haven’t had any luck putting her down and her drifting off. At night she’s a pretty good sleeper for her age.

femcastra fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 11, 2018

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

femcastra posted:

She sleeps in her own bassinet and we intend to have her move to a cot in her own room after 6 months.

I guess my phrasing could have been clearer, I was more referring to self-soothing for day naps. Right now we rock her to sleep then put her down, haven’t had any luck putting her down and her drifting off. At night she’s a pretty good sleeper for her age.

I’d say keep doing what you’re doing, but if you see difficulties in the night time put down then maybe switch it up.

During the day I’d not be bothered, if it starts impacting night time it’s a bigger deal.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I didn't do any sleep training and my kid is an excellent sleeper now.

He was a really lovely sleeper as an infant but we just rolled with it and everything is cool now.

It's all so dependent on each kid and personality, there really isn't a one size fits most approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Panfilo posted:

For anyone that uses [gasp!] formula, I highly recommend the Baby Brezza. It makes those middle of the night feedings so much easier, because you can make a bottle really fast. If you are frequently getting up during the night it will save you prep time.

Can confirm.

I was completely against my wife buying this, thinking it a waste of money, but it is sooo handy being able to hit 1 button to make a bottle.

Just have to keep it clean and never had an issue.