Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
We might see their Avengers game. I want to know if we actually play as superheroes or you're just a create-a-character Agent of Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's actually one of the most thought out and well developed combat systems in the franchise.

TBF tho that's a low bar, especially in the era of the FF phone games and most of the SNES games where half the stats didn't actually do anything and most status effects were bugged.

Battle system yes, job system no. The "job system" it has doesn't even unlock until the last third of the game. To say it's good is laughable.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 1, 2018

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Replaying it, it really feels like they're afraid to just throw the system at you in full, they really want you to play with it in the 2 man parties before opening it fully. Which would be fine, if that 2 man section didn't last so freaking long. As is i'm rushing through somewhat and at the 5 hour mark i'm just starting the second Sazh/Vanille. At least it gives me my preferred weapons for them for free right here.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Himuro posted:

Battle system yes, job system no. The "job system" it has doesn't even unlock until the last third of the game. To say it's good is laughable.

You unlock the Job system after the basic tutorial area.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sunning posted:

We might see their Avengers game. I want to know if we actually play as superheroes or you're just a create-a-character Agent of Shield.

Woah, wait, what the gently caress?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Himuro posted:

...are you making the argument that the "job system" in 13 is only unlocked when all characters have access to all six roles?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

Woah, wait, what the gently caress?

Its Eidos, not the RPG arm so no hope for Costume Sphere gameplay or leading the avengers on a 40 hour quest with some sidequesting to unlock their final limit breaks by breeding groots

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just got the the top of Mt. Bur-Omisace and even though X is the childhood game I have the most memories of I think XII has the best story I've played in the games. The scene with Drace is extremely good and Gabranth is a really interesting villain, more so than almost all FF villains.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...are you making the argument that the "job system" in 13 is only unlocked when all characters have access to all six roles?

i'd make the argument that 13 doesn't really have much of a job system at all. three predetermined classes per char and no cross job abilities.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the real indicator of a job system is if the character gets a cool costume depending on their current job so sadly paradigms don't count

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Himuro posted:

You unlock the job system like in the first post-tutorial zone tho?

BrightWing posted:

Replaying it, it really feels like they're afraid to just throw the system at you in full, they really want you to play with it in the 2 man parties before opening it fully. Which would be fine, if that 2 man section didn't last so freaking long. As is i'm rushing through somewhat and at the 5 hour mark i'm just starting the second Sazh/Vanille. At least it gives me my preferred weapons for them for free right here.

They spend hours teaching you "Hey these jobs do this and work together like things!" and beating into your head and people still didn't understand it at all. Imagine how awful everyone would be saying it was if they just dumped it on you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

i'd make the argument that 13 doesn't really have much of a job system at all. three predetermined classes per char and no cross job abilities.

ATB Gauge lengthening is cross paradigm as is all HP, strength, and magic growth. Its not what you meant but FF3 has even less across classes.

Much less swapping mid fight is the job system; formations and which characters you pick are your subjobs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

I mean so it's a Job system like 3. Or 10-2. Or 14 as of SB.

It's almost as if job systems is a very vague term and all of them are designed to fit the kind of combat the game instead of trying to fit it the other way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's similar to the Mario Job System, where Mario can swap between Plumber to Doctor to Party Planner to Athlete to Professional Kart Racer to Living Pinball at will.

I'm saying they should make a FF13: Mario Returns spinoff.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I mean so it's a Job system like 3. Or 10-2. Or 14 as of SB.

It's almost as if job systems is a very vague term and all of them are designed to fit the kind of combat the game instead of trying to fit it the other way.

nah, cause those games had cool/dumb costume changes and more than six jobs.
Still think ff5 had the most fun job system.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Oh yeah, you also unlock all the roles for everyone like a chapter sooner than it needs to, so you have this chapter where you're teased that everyone gets all their roles but not near enough CP to do anything with it till next chapter.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

It's similar to the Mario Job System, where Mario can swap between Plumber to Doctor to Party Planner to Athlete to Professional Kart Racer to Living Pinball at will.

I'm saying they should make a FF13: Mario Returns spinoff.
We already established that FF13 takes place in the FF15 takes place in the Nier takes place in the Dragon Quest universe so Loto can go to Paris, you'd best not open this Pandora's box.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mario with a ff job system would be nuts and awesome, make it happen nintendo you cowards

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There should be a wooden doll that can fire cannonballs. Since One Punch Man is popular, name him after the characters, like Geno or something.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't know if you guys know but Tsushiy, the guy behind Final Fantasy VI T-Edition, is also making Final fantasy IV T-Edition and although it looks to be pretty basic so far, includes some interesting new changes like visible ATB bars and some interesting new options like recruiting the other party members towards the end of the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
To my memory you cannot have characters switch between classes until near end game on chapter 13. A good FF job system has characters switching jobs the entire game to get specific builds via the players own decisions and choices. You’re locked to a specific class the majority of FF13. So no, it’s not a good job system. If it were open from the get go it’d be a whole lot more fun to mess around with but I felt it opened up far too late to give a poo poo.

BrightWing posted:

Oh yeah, you also unlock all the roles for everyone like a chapter sooner than it needs to, so you have this chapter where you're teased that everyone gets all their roles but not near enough CP to do anything with it till next chapter.

Right? It’s just a bad sphere grid rip off with less choices. What a mediocre game. What were they thinking?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 2, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't know if you guys know but Tsushiy, the guy behind Final Fantasy VI T-Edition, is also making Final fantasy IV T-Edition and although it looks to be pretty basic so far, includes some interesting new changes like visible ATB bars and some interesting new options like recruiting the other party members towards the end of the game.

T-Edition?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

T-Edition is an extremely comprehensive hack for Final Fantasy 6 on SNES. It's entirely in Japanese, but it features a glut of new content in the form of sidequests, new story stuff, added spells and Espers, bosses from all other 2D Final Fantasy games and some from others, a mind-boggling amount of music from other Final Fantasy and Square games rendered in the 16-bit engine, and even character customization in the form of different costumes. It's truly a work of art and despite having been "complete" for some time, the guy working on it still updates it from time to time with new stuff. (Which makes translating the game kind of hard because if you put any amount of work into it, chances are a new version making your work obsolete will come out.)

I played it a few years back and I was playing a really awkward old version of it, and I still found it to be an incredible experience. If you're familiar with FF6 and can at least understand kana, you should be able to muddle through it. I don't have a link handy, but I could go digging if people are interested.

(The T stands for the guy's name, Tsushiy, by the way.)

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Covok posted:

T-Edition?

Final Fantasy VI T-Edition is a Japanese only romhack that expands FF6 by a large margin. New sidequests, revamped features, all sorts of goodies, including a special post-game portion which pits the player against a series of superbosses immigrated from other Final Fantasy games.

I would assume FF4 T-Edition has the same ambitions.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
XIII has a job system like when I did telemarketing for 2 weeks in high school for a job system

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

teh_Broseph posted:

XIII has a job system like when I did telemarketing for 2 weeks in high school for a job system

what, rapid and exhausting context switching in service of a Thanatosian death cult?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
As someone who knew several people who worked telemarketing, I feel extremely bad for you.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik posted:

what, rapid and exhausting context switching in service of a Thanatosian death cult?

Sorry world I wouldn't use the time machine to kill hitler, it'd be to go back and use that line to quit that job

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Himuro posted:

To my memory you cannot have characters switch between classes until near end game on chapter 13. A good FF job system has characters switching jobs the entire game to get specific builds via the players own decisions and choices. You’re locked to a specific class the majority of FF13. So no, it’s not a good job system. If it were open from the get go it’d be a whole lot more fun to mess around with but I felt it opened up far too late to give a poo poo.

Everyone starts with 2, gets a third at relevant story junctures, and then get the remaining 3 prior to the very long final dungeon.

The Crystarium is probably one of the better FF leveling systems; either you choose to level everything evenly to keep costs down for stats or you beeline specific skills and relative to your current progress in the game overpay for them. With hard caps to the crystarium at story points theres no “grind forever” and difficulty increases smoothly but can still be very mildly outpaced with grinding.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
in V, do I have to equip passive abilities if they're from my current equipped job? Like do I need to equip first strike if I'm a ninja? Or is it always on for ninja?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're always on, with the main exception of the knight's two handed ability. There might be others but none that I can think of at the moment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barudak posted:

Everyone starts with 2, gets a third at relevant story junctures, and then get the remaining 3 prior to the very long final dungeon.

The Crystarium is probably one of the better FF leveling systems; either you choose to level everything evenly to keep costs down for stats or you beeline specific skills and relative to your current progress in the game overpay for them. With hard caps to the crystarium at story points theres no “grind forever” and difficulty increases smoothly but can still be very mildly outpaced with grinding.

Lightning/Snow/Fang start with three. Sazh/Vanille/Hope get access to SYN/SAB for the game to tutorial about them.

Yeah I like the Crystarium; allows units to be distinctly different from each other while having some flexibility.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Himuro posted:

If you mean when you're allowed to advance characters in non-primary roles, you get that near the start of Chapter 10, not 13. Same with changing party leaders. You can change your non-battle leader party members around at the end of Chapter 9 as well.

Also, FF5/X-2/Bravely Default doesn't let you get all other jobs at the start either? Admittedly for FF5 it's much sooner than the other games but I wouldn't call it right at the get go. I don't remember what ff3 did tbh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF3's job system is shite, which to be fair it was the first one to let you switch, and FF3 DS is even worse. In terms of job progression you get the final 2 jobs in the final dungeon and in original NES version they were strictly superior to every other job so you basically just turned your party into those to finish the game.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
To add onto not getting the FF13 battle system, I just started and just left Snow behind to take care of his crystal girlfriend about half an hour ago, and the battle system seems... Kind of inoffensive?

Like I'm not having any issues because I'm paradigm shifting every few attacks to get more bang for my buck and consistently have been getting 5 stars so I assume I'm doing something right, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. What's the difference between a COM and a RAV? They both seem to fill the niche of "hit them really hard", and the description doesn't do much to differentiate them. I'm probably communicating my problems poorly, I'm on my phone and doing this from memory, and all the terms kind of blend together to me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Don Gato posted:

To add onto not getting the FF13 battle system, I just started and just left Snow behind to take care of his crystal girlfriend about half an hour ago, and the battle system seems... Kind of inoffensive?

Like I'm not having any issues because I'm paradigm shifting every few attacks to get more bang for my buck and consistently have been getting 5 stars so I assume I'm doing something right, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. What's the difference between a COM and a RAV? They both seem to fill the niche of "hit them really hard", and the description doesn't do much to differentiate them. I'm probably communicating my problems poorly, I'm on my phone and doing this from memory, and all the terms kind of blend together to me.

COM: Damage dealers. Attacks slow down the decay of the Chain gauge.
RAV: Chain builders. Rapidly builds the Chain gauge but does little to slow down the decay.

Basically, you want at least one COM to keep the Chain from draining too fast while 1-2 RAVs push them towards Stagger. Once they are, you can switch to more COM-heavy paradigms to rack on the damage and maybe keep a RAV around to continue building up the chain.

There are some enemies (like wolves) that have so little health that you're probably best brute forcing them with COMs, but for the majority of fights the two RAV setup works fine.

SABs (which you'll get soon enough) have a similar role in that they slow down the Chain decay. They do less damage but focus on debuffs instead. The AI will refuse to use spells which the enemy is immune to or already afflicted by though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ApplesandOranges posted:

SABs (which you'll get soon enough) have a similar role in that they slow down the Chain decay. They do less damage but focus on debuffs instead. The AI will refuse to use spells which the enemy is immune to or already afflicted by though.

This is something they fixed a bit with XIII-2 that I really enjoyed. Saboteur got a spell called Wound which was basically a filler damage spell akin to Ruin except instead of doing conventional damage it reduce the enemy's Max HP. Sadly for such a neat effect it was hardly ever relevant or useful but it at least let an AI-controlled SAB function way better when you're using them as a pseudo-COM for the chain sustain.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Himuro posted:

To my memory you cannot have characters switch between classes until near end game on chapter 13.

Combat is like, 90% switching sets of classes? What are you talking about?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Combat is like, 90% switching sets of classes? What are you talking about?

I think C13 is where everyone gets the three roles they didn't have before? Can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think C13 is where everyone gets the three roles they didn't have before? Can't remember.

Literally the same page:

Ventana posted:

If you mean when you're allowed to advance characters in non-primary roles, you get that near the start of Chapter 10, not 13.