Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i liked walking around town reading people's minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It seems like every kid that played Golden Sun back in the day liked it. I attribute it too a lack of exposure to better JRPGs and the portability of the GBA leading to more kids playing it. It had nice graphics and music which is probably the most important thing too a kid that can tolerate repetitive gameplay and has no concept of what constitutes good writing.

The only reason people still think they are good games is nostalgia. From an objective standpoint the first two Golden Sun games are very mediocre.

oddium posted:

Yeah that's actually a cool mechanic, but of course if you look at it now it runs into the problem of nobody having anything interesting to say (or think).

Reading a dog's mind to figure out where too dig to solve a puzzle is cool though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The plot of Golden Sun is cool on a conceptual level but doesn't stand up to scrutiny and my middle-school self was not capable of scrutinizing so I liked it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The first two golden suns were cool because
Chances are you were a Nintendo kid and thus coming from the N64/early days of the gamecube were starved for rpgs
The sprites were fantastic and colorful and had a ton of personality
The music was loving awesome
The class system was pretty fun, and the summons were incredibly cool
Holy poo poo you're telling me I'm gonna be able to bring my characters and their magic and summons to the new game that's coming out in a couple of years?

Dark Dawn hosed it up by using generic 3d models that lacked the personality and art style of the original games and further exposed how tedious the gameplay was and how awful the pacing was

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

No i wondered who actually made it through the intro of the game without falling asleep

additionally, I had already been exposed to Camelot's badness through Beyond the Beyond

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey wait a minute this purple guy in monster prom is just eridan

drat it I've been bamboozled by the homestucks again

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also dark dawn hosed it up by making a lot of the djinns permanently missable

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
apparently both Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 have about half the mandatory dialogue of Golden Sun 1 and I still have no idea how they did that

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even with kojima's infodumps more info has to be coveyed by narration, golden sun is really loving needlessly wordy, and NPC dialog can account for a lot of that, esp with both spoken and ESP lines. The trails games have massive wordcounts too but a lot of that is the constantly updating optional dialogue.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

The plot of Golden Sun is cool on a conceptual level but doesn't stand up to scrutiny and my middle-school self was not capable of scrutinizing so I liked it

I mean, I dunno if the plot really had a ton of logic problems (it probably did) but I think what really makes the writing bad is how little personality the characters actually have and how much of the text is unnecessary exposition that's handled really poorly. There is a massive amount of dialogue in Golden Sun but so little of it is needed. A hundred words are used where one sentence would suffice. None of this dialogue is instilling personality on the characters either, as everyone is written with mostly the same "voice".

I remember an LP did an experiment where they swapped out the character portraits for random pictures and wanted to see if anyone could actually tell who was who. If the characters were well written, their personality would be clearly evident through the way they spoke. Instead, despite all the dialogue, you couldn't tell who was talking since everyone spoke in the same way.

Motto posted:

Even with kojima's infodumps more info has to be coveyed by narration, golden sun is really loving needlessly wordy, and NPC dialog can account for a lot of that, esp with both spoken and ESP lines. The trails games have massive wordcounts too but a lot of that is the constantly updating optional dialogue.

I hate the way Kojima writes but he at least understands how to make characters that are distinct and unique from one another.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

spudsbuckley posted:

The best way to sell games is to make good ones.

god i loving wish

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It was the GBA GotY in 2001 according to Nintendo Power. Better than Wario Land 4, Advance Wars and Circle of the Moon

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

to be fair in 2001 players probably couldn't actually see Circle of the Moon

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really love that when Issac was an assist trophy in Super Smash he just summoned a giant hand that pushed you. It was completely fitting since pushing poo poo around with a giant hand constitutes about 50% of Golden Sun.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Psynergy puzzles were a cool idea but then they introduced ones that were enabled by items taking up space in your (limited) inventory and also puzzle solving in games with random encounters is hell.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wanted Magical Vacation but instead I got Golden Sun.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

I wanted Magical Vacation but instead I got Golden Sun.

It got a fan translation not too far back.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't stress the excitement of seeing the first GBA screenshots because it was around the time when excitement over 3D calmed down and people were frothing at the idea of a "portable SNES."

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah maybe it's because I was just the right age for it when it came out but the GBA was loving mind blowing to 12 year old me . I loved that system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just like the GBA was one of the best consoles ever bc it was a portable, iterated version of a previous good console, the switch will be the best console of all time (portable PS2)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Now let's talk about Camelot's real GBA gem: Mario Tennis: Power Tour

That was one hell of a game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

main thing I remember about golden sun was the characters popping up a little sweat drop emote that took 5 seconds after every line of dialog. and there were cool transparent effects

al-azad
May 28, 2009

b_d posted:

main thing I remember about golden sun was the characters popping up a little sweat drop emote that took 5 seconds after every line of dialog. and there were cool transparent effects

I always bounced in place when the characters talked. It’s the prettiest boring game on the gba

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the battles in golden sun still look amazing at least, its a very pretty game and showed very well in game magazines at the time

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oddium posted:

I skipped straight to this page, but I knew exactly what game you were talking about here because :same:

I liked the first part, although there was no indication beforehand that it would end on a cliffhanger, and it got me excited for the sequel, but boy was the second half a Dragon Warrior 2 level of bad

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 2, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
wait, golden sun 2 has a loving cliffhanger? after being the second game in a duology?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The White Dragon posted:

wait, golden sun 2 has a loving cliffhanger? after being the second game in a duology?

No, I mean the cliffhanger at the end of the first game. The second game has an ending, although I don't remember much about it beyond that it was a flaming trash pile of an ending.

Real hurthling! posted:

No i wondered who actually made it through the intro of the game without falling asleep

I did, because I was in the army and we were stuck in an abandoned iraqi air base in the middle of nowhere with not a whole lot to do except find a place to survive the 120 degree weather.

Ironically, going through the convoluted plot of the two games makes you realize that the "bad" ending you get if you refuse to go on the quest at the beginning is literally the best ending.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 2, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m about to play Titanfall 2. I’ve heard the story and characters are bad, could someone confirm so I can set my expectations properly? Thx

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's an FPS game, if there's more than three lines of dialogue it's bad. But the level design and movement whips, best FPS campaign in ages

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I’m about to play Titanfall 2. I’ve heard the story and characters are bad, could someone confirm so I can set my expectations properly? Thx

The story isn't anything novel, but the campaign has great level design and basic gameplay is fantastic, and BT is my friend.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

Now let's talk about Camelot's real GBA gem: Mario Tennis: Power Tour

That was one hell of a game.

I really hope Aces turns out to be good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
TF2's story isn't amazing but it's better than it had to be and justifies the cool gameplay well. It's a dumb action movie but a fun dumb action movie

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lumines Remastered got delayed to June. :(

https://gematsu.com/2018/05/lumines-remastered-delayed-to-june-26

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm 34 today and listening to TMBG

Hey, happy birthday!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The ending was the rock god monster revealing hey remember how all of your parents died, never mind I had them and they turned into the final boss and you just killed them again, but never mind they’re still alive I’m a fickle rock

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The White Dragon posted:

It resolves the main plot of the game while introducing a secondary plot that is teased as an obvious sequel.

The short of it is you succeed in your goal in lighting the 4 lighthouses and restoring psyenergy to the world so it stops falling apart. However it is revealed that when psyenergy is restored and the titular Golden Sun rises, it will release immense power that anyone can claim. Alex, your rear end in a top hat friend-but-not-really, is on his way to claim the power of the Golden Sun and rule the world with it. The very last scene of the game is the two protagonists saying "Lets go stop Alex!" and then it fades into grey in a splashscreen of them leaping into the air in triumph like a bad anime (this may be embellishment on my part).

Its a cliffhanger but not nearly as big as the one the first game ends on where literally nothing has been resolved and several characters might actually be dead.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Isn't Alex crushed by the rock god and drowned when the Important Area sank under the waves? And Isaac absorbs the Golden Sun but not really and then the eight guys plus the old guy who never once shut the gently caress up through the entire series essentially become immortal or at roast incredibly long lived thanks to being exposed to it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
But Golden Sun was cool because I liked the character designs and the summons were fun and playing with the class system was fun even though the undisputed best classes were each character's default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/991497568067743750

I didn't even know this game had a PC port

• Locked thread