Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Since I think 90% of my dumb posts are in two threads and I have a strange crossover going on here...

I'd like to thank Trevor Bauer for inventing pinball. I just finished cleaning up and fixing a craigslist buy from a few weeks back.

Meet Gottlieb's "Playball" from April of 1971.
Also, meet a copy and paste from my post in the pinball thread.

The sad before:

It was mechanically pretty close to running from the start. Couple broken wires on the hit relay, a sticky interlock "Man on 3rd" relay, and a whole lot of cleaning and adjusting steppers, vari-targets and leaf switches later...

Freshly cleared to prevent additional flaking:

Comet retro warm white LEDs : A decent enough approximation for incandescent. gently caress the purists.

Evapo-rust is the best product in the world:

Yes, I know it's on free play, but those coin mechs were gross.

I need a something new to tinker with.

Thanks, Trevor! I hope the Astros don't steal this from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Man this game is just a complete treat to watch. Difficult to believe he was only 20.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I love the pitch and bat games. You should get one of them imo.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Maybe Matt Harvey should try improving his spin rate!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tony Phillips posted:

Since I think 90% of my dumb posts are in two threads and I have a strange crossover going on here...

I'd like to thank Trevor Bauer for inventing pinball. I just finished cleaning up and fixing a craigslist buy from a few weeks back.

The sad before:

Wait, you get a home run for a gutter ball?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Timby posted:

Not unusual for an outlane to give you lots of points, even though it means you lose the ball.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I'd love to know how Morton throws 99MPH and a 80 Curve now after being a number 6 starter for the previous 10 years.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Timby posted:

Yep.

I assumed at first that it was just a beneficial means of clearing the bases at the end of each ball. As it turns out, base runners stay on base between balls, so just a nice little end of ball bonus instead. Basically - drain out the sides and not down the middle.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I love the pitch and bat games. You should get one of them imo.
Pitch and bats are oddly fun for a bit but I assume they'd grow old in a hurry. Plus they're big. Pinball machines are big enough as it is - a pitch and bat is just taking up space that another pinball could be using.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

I'd love to know how Morton throws 99MPH and a 80 Curve now after being a number 6 starter for the previous 10 years.

He's been improving for years, and his fastball jumped up to current levels while he was in Philly
https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo....=SI&ymin=&ymax=

When interviewed, he's said that he basically just started throwing harder

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheChirurgeon posted:

He's been improving for years, and his fastball jumped up to current levels while he was in Philly
https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo....=SI&ymin=&ymax=

When interviewed, he's said that he basically just started throwing harder

Seems legit. lol

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

Seems legit. lol

seems just as likely as the theory that he started cheating on the Phillies and then brought his dark secrets to the Astros, where they were shared with everybody except the bullpen tbh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

seems just as likely as the theory that he started cheating on the Phillies and then brought his dark secrets to the Astros, where they were shared with everybody except the bullpen tbh

I have no idea what is going on with the other pitchers and Bauer is a noted idiot but just the Morton velocity issue is most definitely funny business. He's not a special unique unicorn.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

You know you've made it as a team when fans and opponents think your success is due to cheating.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Seems legit. lol

I can't tell if you genuinely think doctoring a ball would help a pitcher throw harder.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Popete posted:

I can't tell if you genuinely think doctoring a ball would help a pitcher throw harder.

:ssh:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

No. I don't know anything about doctoring the ball. I wouldn't even comment on that stuff. Bauer is a idiot. The velocity issue is something else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

No. I don't know anything about doctoring the ball. I wouldn't even comment on that stuff. Bauer is a idiot.

Oh ok, so this is just a different form of unsubstantiated accusations of cheating. Steroids, got it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Oh ok, so this is just a different form of unsubstantiated accusations of cheating. Steroids, got it.

It's pretty much assumed that Brady Anderson was on steroids, right? If something is too good to be true it usually is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It depends on if anyone involved in the Astros is from Spain or Russia.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty much assumed that Brady Anderson was on steroids, right? If something is too good to be true it usually is.

point of order: if Morton is in fact on steroids, then his assertion that he just started throwing harder is still true

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pitching is such a consistent and repeatable skill that it is very rare for players to experience significant improvements or declines at seemingly random points in their careers. This is why every time a pitcher gets better it's obviously because steroids.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Morton is the first pitcher in history to increase his velocity, cheating confirmed.

This is cool and good.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wasn't Morton's velocity gain due to cleaning up his mechanics and better offseason training or something? to suggest that its steroids or whatever is dumb

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Morton was injured almost all of 2016 so clearly he just Rookie Of The Yeared

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I know that when you get TJS sometimes you come back throwing a little faster. Does that mean if you keep getting TJS you’ll hit 100 from all the antiinflammatory steroids?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tony Phillips posted:

The sad before:

It was mechanically pretty close to running from the start. Couple broken wires on the hit relay, a sticky interlock "Man on 3rd" relay, and a whole lot of cleaning and adjusting steppers, vari-targets and leaf switches later...

Freshly cleared to prevent additional flaking:

Comet retro warm white LEDs : A decent enough approximation for incandescent. gently caress the purists.

Evapo-rust is the best product in the world:

Yes, I know it's on free play, but those coin mechs were gross.

I need a something new to tinker with.

Thanks, Trevor! I hope the Astros don't steal this from me.

This is really cool but I have a question. I don't know much about pinball machines but how does this one put the ball in play? Every one I can remember has the plunger stick thing on the right side and a lane that shoots it out up top somewhere and I don't see that here.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Twenty Four posted:

This is really cool but I have a question. I don't know much about pinball machines but how does this one put the ball in play? Every one I can remember has the plunger stick thing on the right side and a lane that shoots it out up top somewhere and I don't see that here.

A relatively rare technique. There is no standard plunger. You just press the right flipper button and it shoots the ball out from between the flippers.

Used it on most of their baseball themed tables (There are a lot of them) as well as football.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic calling someone a noted idiot is extremely my jam

e: I also think it's beautiful and poetic that we have polar opposites on this forum on opinions of one Charlie Morton

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 1, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Morton switched from a sinker to a 4-seamer on his fastball because the Pirates are actually dumb as poo poo and wanted him (and I assume Cole) to pitch to contact. That alone could account for a velo/spin jump for him.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I know that when you get TJS sometimes you come back throwing a little faster.

Is this actually backed up by any data? I think somewhere along the line "You don't really lose any velocity" morphed into "You gain velocity!"

Who has gotten TJS and actually thrown harder than before they injured their UCL? Maybe this is a problem of not having accurate timeframes for UCL damage so guys are pitching hurt for longer than we think before the ligament goes entirely?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Inspector_666 posted:

Alt-0241 for those who are woñdériñg.

Or Alt+164.

I'll ñeed to remember that so I don't ñeed to copy and paste it from Google.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Tony Phillips posted:

A relatively rare technique. There is no standard plunger. You just press the right flipper button and it shoots the ball out from between the flippers.

Used it on most of their baseball themed tables (There are a lot of them) as well as football.

Huh, cool, thanks for answering!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Inspector_666 posted:

Who has gotten TJS and actually thrown harder than before they injured their UCL? Maybe this is a problem of not having accurate timeframes for UCL damage so guys are pitching hurt for longer than we think before the ligament goes entirely?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Cubs have the Greatest Leadoff Hitter of All Time at the top of the lineup tonight.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"Morton's spin rate multiplied when he became an Astro" is also a dumb take because his spin rate was the reason they signed him, same as Collin McHugh

When they first signed him all you could ever find about him was stuff about his league best spin rate on Astros sites/blogs

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Your Taint posted:

Cubs have the Greatest Leadoff Hitter of All Time at the top of the lineup tonight.

Gonna clog those basepaths something fierce.

Nah j/k, he won't get on base.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
After the fun twitter drama today I'm not sure how this'll hold up...But here is Jon Bois' new video on Adam Dunn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZfc0b2t3Q

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Important, please watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZfc0b2t3Q

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
GUYS ITS MAY 1 AND THE MARINERS ARE 5 GAMES OVER .500 AND IN SECOND PLACE

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

mcmagic posted:

I mean he probably was because look at him but the home run spike is much easier to attribute to a fluke season. If steroids got him to 50 homers it's not like he would've just stopped. Same deal with Luis Gonzalez. If you have enough power that you can hit 30 homers then it's certainly within chance that you can pop 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Accident Underwater posted:

I mean he probably was because look at him but the home run spike is much easier to attribute to a fluke season. If steroids got him to 50 homers it's not like he would've just stopped. Same deal with Luis Gonzalez. If you have enough power that you can hit 30 homers then it's certainly within chance that you can pop 50.

Is Matt Davidson on steroids but only when he plays the Royals? My column:

• Locked thread