Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ADINSX posted:

Because they realize once the immediate fire is put out the organization will go right back to creating a bunch of small new fires

yeahhhh i don’t like to be too cynical but it sure seems like orgs that manage to get themselves into a mess like that never get out because they’re completely unable to change. there are exceptions obviously but it seems like bad just stays bad in general.

jony neuemonic fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ADINSX posted:

Relational databases definitely still have a place in the world, but work best as a view of the data, not the source of truth.

Sure you can shard things out almost indefinitely; but when you want to run analytics on your entire dataset, or subsets of that dataset; you're stuck stitching together partial results from thousands of databases.

The better approach (depending on your usecase of course) is to try and have a single event stream that can put data in multiple places, the database being one of them. A snappy UI can be driven off a SQL database while larger analytics can come from BigQuery/Redshift/Spark Jobs/Beam Jobs etc etc. Important changes made in the UI can be broadcast to that event stream (as well as the local database its using in some sort of "unofficial" change, to make the change seem immediate).

Using a single (or multiple) relational databases might be ok for awhile, but it doesn't take "Google" levels of data for this to be a problem. I work at a medium sized company trying to transition to this model, away from thousands of postgres instances across about 100 physical servers (with really beefy specs). The Postgres servers are fine (well, ok, not really) at delivering reports over relatively short time periods, but we constantly get requests from customers for reports across DB boundaries, or for long periods of time, and that really interferes with our transactional load.

Googling for Whatapp's architecture diagram reveals they do this: data gets put in a relational database but also in riak and probably in a bunch of other places they don't list on the public documents.

this is literally my company's niche so if anyone finds themselves in a situation where they have to deal with this problem look into marklogic

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is literally my company's niche so if anyone finds themselves in a situation where they have to deal with this problem look into marklogic

”MarkLogic website” posted:

note that you can not disclose, without MarkLogic prior written consent, any performance or capacity statistics or the results of any benchmark test performed on MarkLogic.

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah our licensing is really really strict

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

HoboMan posted:

sounds like your holding it wrong, op

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

most the time people complain about poor db performance, they really just need better schemas and queries
I like databases

I'm currently running a query that does an aggregation with group by on 50 million unique keys for fun

Saturday night, motherfuckers

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oracle tries this bullshit too, so if you ever read an academic paper on databases they're typically referred to as "DBMS X"

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

lets play the "guess which one is Oracle" game

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oracle tries this bullshit too, so if you ever read an academic paper on databases they're typically referred to as "DBMS X"

our CEO used to be larry’s right hand man :ssh:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

uncurable mlady posted:

most the time people complain about poor db performance, they really just need better schemas and queries

i agree with this, but i have executed some insanely lazy and bad presto/athena queries and they both routinely impress me with fast as heck return times

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

We used to do OLAP on vertica. Any thoughts?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

qhat posted:

It’s got C-Store lineage, which immediately made it interesting due to the Stonebraker connection. I think it’s just rotting on the vine after HP’s acquisition, though. I can’t recall hearing much lately

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It’s got C-Store lineage, which immediately made it interesting due to the Stonebraker connection. I think it’s just rotting on the vine after HP’s acquisition, though. I can’t recall hearing much lately

all of the classic column-oriented OLAP stores are being slow-motion murdered by hadoop and spark

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So I'm in a pickle:

Is it polite/a good idea to say "Hey I have two in-person interviews in town, let's see how that goes before you fly me out to DC from Denver."? I'd like to spare them buying tickets and poo poo if I end up taking something down the street. The job is in Rockville MD and apparently they like me, but if I'm nearly done here, what do I say?

Edit:

quote:

Hi Mr. Whale,

I hope you had a great weekend! I got great feedback from the team regarding your interview last week and they'd like to bring you here to meet with your potential future managers and teammates! I'm hoping you're as excited as they are; we'd love to get you out here quickly.

We'll cover flight and lodging, but I'll need to get some info from you to get everything booked properly. First and foremost, your availability to come out to DC, then I'll gather info for booking the flight, etc. I assume you'd be flying from Denver?

Let me know what your schedule is looking like and if you have any questions at all. I'm happy to chat if you want more info! We're excited to meet you.

I have a final today and tomorrow with two in town opportunities.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 30, 2018

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Since the local interviews are soon, tell them you're a bit busy because things are hectic right now and may need a few days/weeks before being able to leave and will confirm dates later. If it works with one of the local ones, say that things changed and you have to no longer pursue things with them (but are open to blah blah later) and if it bombs with the local ones come back with "sorry about the delay, would your team be good with day x? I'm free around then" and see how it goes.

They won't and can't ask details, and I'm frankly pretty certain they'll be understanding if it includes flying people out.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I've seen a lot of people having trouble not divulging too much information when trying to schedule interviews.

I know this is not true, but I keep imagining that they treat every human interaction like at A/T post. If you don't pour your personal business onto everyone you interact with, I'm sure it's easy to say "Things are up in the air at the moment, let's talk next Monday to schedule a flight". Or "I'd like to take the day off on Thursday".

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
just book the flight.

if you have to cancel because a first offer was loving amazing, you have to cancel. it happens

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i have a few contacts i could pursue on the side but i don't actually understand how contracting works. do i need to set up a company?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Thanks.

Also, :yotj: > :confuoot:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh yeah, the rejections are piling up, I'm giving up for a while because it's just too much

but here's a funny story: I did this one technical interview and the dude proposed a quick "bonus problem" because we still had some time left in the interview. I solved it with itertools.product and the dude didn't like it, so later I spent some time writing a custom artisanal variation of the generalized cartesian product that the problem required and sent it to him. His answer was "No, you're doing it wrong, you should've used recursion".

:psyduck:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Symbolic Butt posted:

oh yeah, the rejections are piling up, I'm giving up for a while because it's just too much

but here's a funny story: I did this one technical interview and the dude proposed a quick "bonus problem" because we still had some time left in the interview. I solved it with itertools.product and the dude didn't like it, so later I spent some time writing a custom artisanal variation of the generalized cartesian product that the problem required and sent it to him. His answer was "No, you're doing it wrong, you should've used recursion".

That sucks. Are you unemployed? If yes, you should still continue to observe job postings daily, or you risk missing a really good opportunity.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
yes I am but it's just driving me crazy at this point lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

the best answer is to say you did and see what they define recursion as

he probably wanted to see memoization because for some reason those questions are really popular

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 2, 2018

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

keep at it! I have been in your shoes and I hate it and I definitely quit a lot but it is not a good idea and I can tell you from experience that you're just going to feel guilty the whole time you're on break so you might as well power through it

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

same except im still shotgunning resumes because i love recruiter spam

maybe related, anyone used Glider.ai for any online coding challenge things? looks like i'm going to need a webcam and they specifically say to disable anything that uploads poo poo in the background so overall it sounds like a winner.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's a real kick in the teeth to get rejected because your interviewer is an objective idiot, but just remember that if they did give you an offer, you'd actually have to work with this imbecile every single day.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Shaman Linavi posted:

same except im still shotgunning resumes because i love recruiter spam

maybe related, anyone used Glider.ai for any online coding challenge things? looks like i'm going to need a webcam and they specifically say to disable anything that uploads poo poo in the background so overall it sounds like a winner.

if they demand a webcam during the interview it suggests to me that they're never going to trust their people and its going to be the kind of place where you have to log your clock-in and -out times

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

qhat posted:

It's a real kick in the teeth to get rejected because your interviewer is an objective idiot, but just remember that if they did give you an offer, you'd actually have to work with this imbecile every single day.

yeah I don't feel that bad for this one (it was the most interesting company that I was able to get into the hiring process though)

the kick in my mouth is the feeling of inadequacy that this whole fruitless job search is giving me. there are no other job ads to submit anymore, the fact that I got no offers at all for this long is signalling to me that I have no place in programming

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

yeah I don't feel that bad for this one (it was the most interesting company that I was able to get into the hiring process though)

the kick in my mouth is the feeling of inadequacy that this whole fruitless job search is giving me. there are no other job ads to submit anymore, the fact that I got no offers at all for this long is signalling to me that I have no place in programming

the just world fallacy is nonsense in general but double nonsense as far as anything to do with who gets the high paying jobs is concerned

it's frustrating, yes, but for god's sake don't get your self-worth dragged by this ritual supplication bullshit

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the fact that youre being called for interviews means you are qualified for these jobs. they threw away a hundred junk resumes to bring you and a couple of other people in. it doesnt seem like it but youre close. if you werent you wouldnt hear back from anyone at all, just sending out resumes and hearing nothing back, shouting into the void (been there, done that)

you just havent clicked with an interviewer yet (which, as this thread has amply demonstrated, is largely a matter of pure chance and utter bullshit). keep plugging away, maybe work on your interviewing skills. but dont give up or even slacken your search

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh I don't think I'm a bad programmer. I'm bad for yospos standards sure, but not for most of the jobs that I applied for, I'm proud enough to recognize this. I also feel like I'm above average at solving these dumb coding challenges/brainteasers.

but yeah, I don't even think it's productive to speculate why I'm inadequate and I don't want to hijack the thread more with me whining. sorry, just venting.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Had a really strange "technical" interview today, with a satellite imaging company I really want to work for. I already had my preliminary chat with the HR recruiter, talked about my interests and background which are big data pipelines and geospatial systems (exactly what they need for the role), additionally I used to work at one of the companies that this company ultimately bought, so I was already familiar with some of their stuff.

Anyway, I get the call, and the connection quality is pretty bad and he has a slight accent, so off the bat I'm having a hard time understanding him. He tells me about the role again and asks about the project I'm working on. For awhile I think we're clicking, though he isn't saying much. I feel like I was able to answer every question he had about the project and my background, we're using a lot of the same technologies (we both use google cloud stuff), etc. He asks me if I have any questions, and honestly I don't really... I'd like to eventually get to some of the questions listed on the first page, but I'd rather do that in person, ideally with members of the team I'll be on. I've already chatted with a friend that works there, so I've got a pretty good idea about how things run.

Anyway, after that, the interview sort of just... ends. He says he'll pass along his feedback to HR, and that it was great talking to me (but in one of those canned ways)... It was scheduled to take 45 minutes but we get through it in 20, and I guess I get nervous when something goes really short because it could be a bad sign (or maybe they scheduled it longer to give me plenty of time for questions)

So I hope I get next steps or a "no" tomorrow.... I'm gonna be really bummed if they pass on me without even an in person interview... I honestly don't know what else I could have done. Phone interviews are the worst :(

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

on the other hand im a goddamn moron but i have so many contract offers i'm considering starting a company. the real question is the name.
I was thinking Programming and Information Systems Services

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Programming and Information Systems Services and Solutions(sssss)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

HoboMan posted:

on the other hand im a goddamn moron but i have so many contract offers i'm considering starting a company. the real question is the name.
I was thinking Programming and Information Systems Services

badass

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Software by HoboMan: Information Technology Services

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So the COO, my immediate bosses (on paper) boss, casually approached me today to ask how things were going because I'm tired and beat up and I have my quarterly on Thursday and he wanted to see if I had any agenda items to discuss. One of my team members was fired for loving an unrelated project she used to be on up, so I'm down to 3. I asked if I was getting someone else and they are immediately replacing her with someone else from our help desk/tier 1 pool. Of course the replacement is kind of bottom of the barrel but at the end of the day its like rote data entry off of excel keys and project workbooks so whatever. At least I don't have to loving do it. He also told me they are going to begin hiring to my products standard as its harder to configure and implement, and that I would be receiving another support person and two implementer in the near future pending hires. I will run a team of 5 support and 2 implementers and be responsible (see quote below) for this product.

I segued this into a conversation and reconfirmed we are discussing salary in June. We are moving offices at the end of Q3, beginning of Q4 and I mentioned I would like my own office, or I would like a room with my team in it and a big rear end television to put the remote S.VP/COO of [Product Name] on. This structure is similar to two other products that currently exist. He endorsed this and will make it happen when they sit down to hammer out floor plans when the remodel is done.

The area I need assistance and advice on is title for my role. I discussed my role in an earlier post (quoted below bolded most relevant) and mentioned I would like a title change and some new loving business cards. Considering the advice I received earlier in the thread I asked immediately for Product Manager (former sales, I'm a big believer in asking for everything and making someone say no. Shoot your shot etc etc) and he shot it down pretty hard. Not because it's not an appropriate or doesn't describe what I do but because more senior people have asked for and have not been given it, and the CEO has made a decision that he does not want to use that title in the corporate structure. My COO said that I could come up with something else to ask for and he would consider anything but Product Manager is out. He suggested something like "Product Analyst" if I really wanted something like that as well as "Enterprise Implementation Manager", "CRM Implementation Manager" or well anything but Product Manager

so what the gently caress ya'll think I should ask for

quote:

I work for an enterprise software company that has been in business for about 5 years and are currently growing out of the "Start Up" mentality. We have a core software product that is an electronic medical records system that integrates medical charting, prescription pads, pharmacy communication, med tracking, patient tracking, rounds and a bunch of poo poo. Its scaleable from single doctor general practice to large nation-wide hospitals. I started in implementation for them and was responsible from taking a new client from sales, structuring their chart, customizing the software and teaching all the doctors, nurses and staff what buttons to press.

There is a new software product we are adding to our enterprise offering that is a client relationship management software with a bit of marketing stuff tacked on (Tracking ad campagins/dollars per admit/providing basic business intelligence). My COO and CTO approached me and asked me to join the team in an undetermined role and for a salary increase in june/july if i demonstrate aptitude. I pushed back on this and they gave me a bonus with a salary negotiation in June. The structure is CTO of the core product and company, SVP Product Manager/Owner, me, and than i got a team of 4 running basic configuration and doing monkey level data entry (user profiles, security roles, sending invites). I got the team 3 weeks ago after being just me and working like 15 hours a day and bitching to my COO about the product failing due to lovely resource allocation.

I am responsible for some sales demos, implementation, project management, end user training and communicating customer requests to the dev team. I also am in the stand up meeting for the dev team every morning at 9am (They are remote a few states away), and write user stories and bugs in Visual Studios. I do NOT code at all apart from some basic ruby on rails web manipulation poo poo for the core product to automate lovely boring tasks. I am also part of the bi-weekly sprint planning meetings and architecture meetings where i do voice an opinion on either poo poo i care about, the customer cares about or if i understand something.

Among a whole host of questions I have involving like salary, I would first like to ask what do you guys think an appropriate title to ask for is? I am a senior implementation specialist now, and Enterprise Implementation Specialist or Manager would work and seem to be natural (I am the only one in the ENTIRE Company that can implement the CRM and the core EMR product. I am the only who knows the CRM apart from the SVP) but I was wondering if pivoting my resume into some sort of Product Manager role may be better for me and sound more impressive? I feel like thats a harder, better title than enterprise implementation manager. I Feel like i def want manager in it somewhere....

e: I also host a series of discovery meetings with the client, create and document client processes to build into the software, build it into the software, train client on how to use software and troubleshoot post go live.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yep this is a hybrid between product management and sales engineering, in a larger company it would be two jobs but pretty common for them to be combined in a smaller company. id call yourself a product manager if you can.

Rails was hot as gently caress like 5-7 years ago and a C-level exec of Ultimate Software advised that I learn to code it because it's going to be super in demand for a while and it would get me loving paid and they couldn't find enough devs to use it and no one was writing in it. He told me this over several expensive whiskeys and cigars in a cigar bar in Weston Florida while i tried to sell him copiers. god bless that man.

E: someone advised that I learn2code and I would love to but don't have time right now.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 2, 2018

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Symbolic Butt posted:

I can definitely sympathize, but the process is just so dumb and arbitrary that you can't take it personally.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Symbolic Butt posted:

Consider it a shot on goal. You're doing something right if you're even getting to that stage and it's just a matter of time before you get lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I remember spending 6 months solidly applying for jobs and I never got any offers in that time, so yeah it would be accurate to say I felt pretty worthless even though I was still solving complex problems in that time. Then when I finally got an offer and saw the internal state of that company, my mindset changed from "I'm worth way less that I thought" to "holy loving poo poo no, I was right all along how did these people even get their jobs".