Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I bought a Fitbit Versa and if you're just looking to jump ship from a Pebble and don't care about fitness features... Um... Wait a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want a notification tool on my wrist.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Like i said....

Wait a little bit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I've been pretty happy with my Ionic, but there's new stuff for the Versa that isn't available for the Ionic yet (in terms of faces, etc) which is horse poo poo.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Right off the bat, Versa is missing quick reply, which they say is coming in May. Also, the remote controls for the phone music don't work. My Pebble did both of these things out of the box.

The Fitbit Community board is full of people screaming about broken or buggy features.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Which is kinda crazy, because that’s exactly how they shipped the Ionic too, it got way more usable when version 2 of the software came out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
God the versa has such an attractive design but I already have a ionic that does everything plus gps but looks like a power ranger watch

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is there anyway to get a Google Maps navigation view on a Gear 3? Or is the only way to get a hockey puck Android Wear device? If all I wanted was navigation via notifications then any of the cheap Chinese bands would do. Looking around I only saw an app that just has an arrow and street name, which is basically what I can already get with my Pebble.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
For what it's worth I got a Versa and have had no issues with it. The people who have problems are always going to be the only ones posting anything on a company's forums.

It's definitely a fitness tracker first and a smartwatch an extremely distant second, though. I never used any of the features on my Apple Watch that it's missing, but if you for some reason enjoy yelling at your wrist to reply to texts, etc, that stuff isn't there.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Who's yelling at their wrist? Basic features that were promised "on the box" aren't working for a large number of people, myself included.

I'm glad you're happy with yours. I'm on the fence about returning mine, which is something I rarely do.

Edit: Wrist just buzzed. It wants me to know about a bunch of old notifications I've already dismissed, I guess.

azurite fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 21, 2018

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

azurite posted:

Who's yelling at their wrist? Basic features that were promised "on the box" aren't working for a large number of people, myself included.

I'm glad you're happy with yours. I'm on the fence about returning mine, which is something I rarely do.

Edit: Wrist just buzzed. It wants me to know about a bunch of old notifications I've already dismissed, I guess.

Notifications are one thing I’ve never had any problems with in the Ionic (with the dumb limits on iOS anyway)

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

So bizarre, considering they're supposedly built from the same platform.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

azurite posted:

I meant more that I don't see the appeal of the features it's missing. Interacting with smartwatches sucks. I had an Apple Watch before and I don't think I used it for anything but activity tracking and reading notifications after the first week, and the Versa does those fine (at least on iOS).

If smartwatch features are what you bought the Versa for, though, I'd absolutely return it. It's worse than the Apple Watch was in 2015, never mind now.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there anyway to get a Google Maps navigation view on a Gear 3? Or is the only way to get a hockey puck Android Wear device? If all I wanted was navigation via notifications then any of the cheap Chinese bands would do. Looking around I only saw an app that just has an arrow and street name, which is basically what I can already get with my Pebble.

I got an app called gear navigator working on my gear fit 2 and they say it works on all gear devices. it shows the map but since it uses the compass on your phone the map tends to spin wildly every now and then. Still very good if you don't want to whip out your phone every 2 minutes.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think I'm returning the Versa. I'm thinking about the Garmin Vivoactive 3 instead. How is that holding up for those of you who have one?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Got one for my dad a few weeks ago and he likes it but mainly does not know how to use 90% of its features.

From setting it up for him I would say I dislike the most the general low-res of the screen/watchface, the excessive sensibility of the touch screen (it’s almost the same experience as having your phone constantly unlocked, with random menus being opened) and the side strip (you can disable that).

I also felt like logging activities and the app interface were not very intuitive but that may be just that I don’t use them every day, just when my dad has some issue.

Pros are that it looks very nice, has a billion sensors all of which seem to work fine and battery life is a solid 4-5 days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Got one for my dad a few weeks ago and he likes it but mainly does not know how to use 90% of its features.

From setting it up for him I would say I dislike the most the general low-res of the screen/watchface, the excessive sensibility of the touch screen (it’s almost the same experience as having your phone constantly unlocked, with random menus being opened) and the side strip (you can disable that).

I also felt like logging activities and the app interface were not very intuitive but that may be just that I don’t use them every day, just when my dad has some issue.

Pros are that it looks very nice, has a billion sensors all of which seem to work fine and battery life is a solid 4-5 days.

I would agree with pretty much all of this. The screen resolution is very poor and I don’t particularly like any of the available watch faces, both the defaults or any custom ones people have created. But it looks great, battery life is great, fitness features work flawlessly, etc. On iOS there are no quick replies, and you can’t filter notifications on any platform. Those are the only real negatives imo.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

you can’t filter notifications on any platform.

Oof ow. Really? Google search shows that you should be able to filter on Android at least. Otherwise that'd be a total deal breaker for me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

azurite posted:

Oof ow. Really? Google search shows that you should be able to filter on Android at least. Otherwise that'd be a total deal breaker for me.

Maybe you can filter on Android? I’ve only tried it on iPhone but I thought the reviews said it was always all or nothing.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Exchanged the Fitbit for the Garmin Vivoactive 3. So far I'm really liking it. It's already made a far better first impression than the Versa. I love the round, always-on transflective display. I can customize the watch face to show time, date, and weather in a readable format all at the same time without having to sift through a watch face store. Music controls work. Quick replies work. I also like that you get a charging cable instead of a bulky dock.

...and it has all that nice fitness stuff too.

There were some concerns posted about the touchscreen always being active. It offers a locking function, which disables the screen and slider until the button is held down. Also, notification filtering is available in the Android app and seems to work fine.

This feels like a mature product in contrast to the Versa, which felt more like a beta. Thanks for the input, thread!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

Garmin Vivoactive 3

I gave up on Android Wear and was thinking of picking one of these up today. How's the GPS mode? I go for hikes regularly and would love to use it to track my routes.

Also does it sync to Google Fit by any chance? If not, is the Garmin data backed up to the cloud or accessible from other apps? Like I enjoyed the Google Fit calendar integration

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I gave up on Android Wear and was thinking of picking one of these up today. How's the GPS mode? I go for hikes regularly and would love to use it to track my routes.

Also does it sync to Google Fit by any chance? If not, is the Garmin data backed up to the cloud or accessible from other apps? Like I enjoyed the Google Fit calendar integration

I have a Fenix 5x, so some won't apply here. What I can tell you, however, is if you are remotely interested in fitness, Garmin is absolutely the only way to go, IMO. Garmin is a fitness device first, smartwatch second. Android Wear is the other way around.

The Garmin Connect app is outstanding. The metrics it has are very comprehensive and very insightful. GPS, at least on the Fenix 5x, is really, really good. Accuracy is a 9/10, hiking, running, whatever. Battery life is ridiculous; I charge it every week or so (and I run daily) and it even measures your heartrate 24x7. Not sure what kind of battery wizardry they have going on, but it's legit.

As for integration, this is where Garmin could do better. Every platform wants to lock your data in (Apple Health, Garmin, Fitbit, S-Health) but I've found using Garmin paired to Strava to be the best for me (running, cycling mainly). I don't think there is any Google Fit integration - at least none that I've seen. That's certainly a bummer but I carry my Pixel 2 XL with me on runs, so it gets counted within Google Fit as well. I'd wager to bet once you start dumping data into Garmin and seeing how the insights help your training goals, you'll be a Garmin fan for life.

I don't miss Android Wear in the slightest. Tizen (Gear S3) is neat, but then you're locked into S-Health. At least Garmin isn't platform hungry. Yes, they will have a lock on your data, but you can move to any platform and keep on trucking. I'm sure there is a data export tool, but I'm so happy with the 5x that I don't care, really.

And yes, Garmin's data is backed up in the cloud. Viewing your data/graphs/stats in the app is really useful and the website is real neato. Shitload of data to comb through that's actually useful and accurate.

Edit: FWIW, I started with a Vivoactive 3 but wanted more out of it (namely better looking and onboard maps) so I got a 5x. The Vivoactive 3 is ~70% what a 5x is and I wholly recommend the Vivoactive 3 for the price. If you hike a lot, you'll probably want the onboard maps, but keep in mind there is a considerable amount of jank with such a small screen. It's useful for hiking and running though. My favorite feature on the 5x is round trip routing. I travel for work a lot and say I'm in an unfamiliar city and I want to go run ~4 miles. I just punch in the desired distance in my 5x and the watch calculates several routes that meet the 4 mile criteria. Hit go and the watch gives you turn indications (along with a map). It's pretty cool to just set it and off you go.

Lastly, a lot of people try the Garmin and return it within a few days, citing "the screen is straight outta 1995. Well, that's the point. It's not an AMOLED nor does it pretend to be. Battery life and utilitarian smartwatch functionality is the primary goal of Garmin watches, and it does these things very well. The screen is super visible in direct sunlight which, as you are mostly using it during outdoor stuff, makes sense. Not having to wake it up or use a battery leeching always on screen (AW, Tizen) is really great. Just glance down and see the info you need, have the backlight come on after sunset when you lift your wrist. Sips power to the point that I forget where I put my charging cable all the time.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 2, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wonderful, hotsauce you'll always be my tech weiner buddy. I just picked one up and like it already, the app is extremely slick and I'm impressed. It's super light and extremely comfortable and looks great! Very happy with this.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wonderful, hotsauce you'll always be my tech weiner buddy. I just picked one up and like it already, the app is extremely slick and I'm impressed. It's super light and extremely comfortable and looks great! Very happy with this.

Thank you for reading my autistic musings and enjoy your new ~timepiece~!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've been rocking the Vivoactive 3 for about a week now, and I'm still thoroughly enjoying it. The touch controls have not been an issue.

What I like:
-Customization. It comes with functional watch faces by default that you can tweak the data fields in. You can also customize the fitness data you want to see via "widgets." You can set which features you wish to see just about anywhere.
-If there's something I initially found annoying, it was easy to turn off or adjust. I never felt "stuck with" a feature I didn't like.
-Screen is very large, clear, and is truly round. It's true that it won't compete with a backlit LCD or OLED in resolution or color, but it is super crisp when light hits it.
-Like I said before, I didn't have to compromise the most important smartwatch features I was used to on Pebble. It pairs very well with an Android phone.
-Fitness features are very neat, as well as the "stress level" metric.
-GPS and its related features are neat, although I'm not super likely to use them much.
-Delivers on advertised features out of the box.

Here's what i DON'T like:
-Third party watch face selection isn't as good as Pebble was. I prefer the built in digital watch to the majority of what's in the store.
-App selection is sparse, but I went in expecting this.
-It's hard to touch elements on the edges of the screen. You have to aim inward a bit.
-Vibration isn't as strong as my Pebble, but it's still enough to wake me up.
-I don't know why everyone but Pebble only allows one timer. What if I want to keep track of the laundry and the toaster oven at the same time using just the watch?
-It doesn't seem like you can offload GPS to your phone in the Garmin app. You might be able to do this in a third party fitness app, though.

I didn't feel like anything in the "don't like," section was a deal breaker. Just minor nitpicks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really really like this vivoactive 3 so far. My only issues are:

-I really wish the screen was bigger. It reminds me of my old pebble and I like it! Just want it to be bigger, it's perfectly visible in all lighting!
-Ability to use/sync to phone GPS so I don't have to enter GPS battery sucking mode on the watch. Garmin Connect should be able to use google location services and send that to the watch or record it
-More apps. Maybe this will come with time.
-Weightlifting tracking is loving awful. It rarely tracks reps correctly, and the "double tap to advance set" thing is terrible, I had to tap it like a dozen times to recognize two in a row. I'm just not going to use it to track lifting, it's truly bad. Other fitness tracking especially cardio works great though.

One surprise: I read in many places that app notifications were either all on or all off. But, each app notification on the watch gives me the ability to block just that app? They must have added that features after all the reviews I read. Also, the Garmin Connect app is real nice. I can definitely see myself staying in the Garmin ecosystem now.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Are you on Android or iOS?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android, Pixel 2 XL

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I think the notification thing varies by platform. You can select notifications in Android, whereas iPhone is all or nothing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there a decent way to do navigation notifications on the Garmin vivoactive 3? Trying to use this thing like a smart watch and it's a real nightmare compared to Wear OS. I just spent about an hour figuring out how to get notifications to show up at all. Having to jump into and out of a widget to look at notifications it's kinda really bad and turn by turn directions don't show up at all even though I've selected show all notifications.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just spent about an hour figuring out how to get notifications to show up at all.

Uh this took me like 7 seconds and they showed up automatically. What were you doing?!

I have no idea if it even can do turn by turn directions. It's not a full featured smartwatch, it's a fitness tracker with some basic smartwatch functions. Don't try to make it be something it's not.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh this took me like 7 seconds and they showed up automatically. What were you doing?!

I have no idea if it even can do turn by turn directions. It's not a full featured smartwatch, it's a fitness tracker with some basic smartwatch functions. Don't try to make it be something it's not.

They defaulted to off for me for some reason, and the option to turn them on is kind of buried in the application.

Turn-by-turn directions are probably what I used my previous smartwatch the most for since I live in a very walkable city.

I really like the screen out in the sun, it's excellent for that. And for a run today the gps and heart rate sensors worked really well.

I'm really not a fan of the OS though and slim smart watch functionality doesn't really cut it. I'll probably be returning it tomorrow.

I'm thinking I'll either get a Misfit Vapor or wait for the LG Watch Timepiece or Samsung Gear 4.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Thanks to your recommendations I did some research and ended up buying a Vivoactive 3. Will post trip report after a few days.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nitrousoxide posted:

They defaulted to off for me for some reason, and the option to turn them on is kind of buried in the application.

This was the behavior for me too, but I prefer this to having all on by default. On the Pebble, it was annoying installing something and having it shake my wrist in the middle of the night with some bullshit because I forgot to go turn it off in the Pebble app first.

The Garmin app isn't super intuitive, but in my experience, everything I needed to know was easily found via Google search.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

This guy is basically the authority on Garmin watches. His reviews are very thorough.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Has the Versa firmware gotten any better?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Got a vivoactive 3 a week ago and I've been happy so far but then suddenly today it stopped syncing with my phone and now they refuse to find each other. I tried removing the device from garmin connect and resync but nothing. Great quality.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

netcat posted:

Got a vivoactive 3 a week ago and I've been happy so far but then suddenly today it stopped syncing with my phone and now they refuse to find each other. I tried removing the device from garmin connect and resync but nothing. Great quality.

What phone do you have? I've had zero sync issues.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
No issues with my Garmin connectivity either and I'm on my second now (though I did have some hoops to jump through to use it as a trusted device). Does it appear as a visible device through regular Bluetooth settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I have a Sony Xperia z5. Yeah it does appear as a regular Bluetooth device and the phone can find it when I try to add it to garmin connect again, but the sync always fails.

Maybe I could try factory resetting the watch.