Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do not think that yeah, hence why I said it.

I also dont see people upset about Magneto whose villian origin is literally tied to the holocaust.

Including a comic were he literally puts people in concentration camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Eldians wear armbands to prevent them from passing as Marleyans. It's meant to keep them contained in their ghetto where everyone can find them and prevent race mixing. For the Marleyan government it would be bad - their control over the Eldians depends of keeping them disliked and separated from the rest of their population. It's not that the armbands are a Holocaust reference, it's that Marley pretty much is Nazi Germany before it started to straight out kill their minorities.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That isn’t something only they did.

Keeping a minority population separate has been a thing and in the case of the US still is a thing.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The Nazi Germany analogy gets a little hamfisted when you use armbands, but I don't think the story has really crossed any lines. As is usually the case in this kind of story, the Nazis are the bad guys, and the heroes of the story doing some bad poo poo doesn't change that, it's just supposed to remind you that war is bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eiba posted:

"Imprisoned population" is a vague enough reference that it's fine. Walls around a city aren't holocaust imagery. Arm bands with stars on them is a bit different.

It was more of a theme than actual imagery until Marley, and it wasn't an issue as a theme until very specific historical allusions were made.

My opinion has been to roll my eyes and move on with the explicit holocaust stuff. It's all clearly shorthand for showing how terrible everyone is in a story about discovering how terrible the world is, and honestly I kinda like that even when it's being heavy handed so I'll personally forgive some excess. But Attack on Titan is a major enough piece of media that I'm totally sympathetic to arguments that it's more of an issue than that.

Walls around a city don't signify a ghetto, but walls around a city that it's inhabitants cannot ever cross without forfeiting their lives, does. And once you have a story that takes place within a ghetto (albeit, a fantastic ghetto the size of a state ) about the massacre of it's (specifically denoted) mono-ethnic population by the forces that caged them, then the situation can be compared to the holocaust.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I might get some hate for this opinion, but I like watching the big titans hit each other a lot and break buildings.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

I might get some hate for this opinion, but I like watching the big titans hit each other a lot and break buildings.

:fut:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I've been saying the holocaust was bad before it was a cool thing to say

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Walls around a city don't signify a ghetto, but walls around a city that it's inhabitants cannot ever cross without forfeiting their lives, does. And once you have a story that takes place within a ghetto (albeit, a fantastic ghetto the size of a state ) about the massacre of it's (specifically denoted) mono-ethnic population by the forces that caged them, then the situation can be compared to the holocaust.
Okay, for the record, I'm entirely being pedantic here. This post essentially reflects my views:

JahRoo posted:

The Nazi Germany analogy gets a little hamfisted when you use armbands, but I don't think the story has really crossed any lines. As is usually the case in this kind of story, the Nazis are the bad guys, and the heroes of the story doing some bad poo poo doesn't change that, it's just supposed to remind you that war is bad.

But you really don't see a difference between situational similarities and literal arm bands with stars on them to mark an ethnic group? Like, I poorly worded my earlier post and I want to emphasize I'm not saying one's okay and one's not okay... but they're very different things is all.

Pre-Marley, back in Chapter 1, who are the Nazis? The Titans? We don't even learn that they could possibly be people until well into the manga. Are zombies a well known stand in for Nazis? That's a new one on me. You could make a reading that their world in chapter 1 is essentially a ghetto, but it would very much be a reading, and not blatant historical reference like the armbands.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You could explain what the difference is, because I don’t see it outside pedantry.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

You could explain what the difference is, because I don’t see it outside pedantry.
I... did. One is an interpretation. The other is a reference.

To clarify, because this seems kind of insane to me that it's a difficult concept, we're talking about a walled town besieged by zombies and saying "that's a holocaust reference" vs seeing an ethnic group's living area being walled off from the rest of the population and giving them an arm band with a star on it for identification and saying "that's a holocaust reference." Right? Are we talking about something else?

In my mind chapter one did not reference the holocaust. The Marly stuff blatantly referenced the holocaust. Is this a point of contention?

Edit:
To further clarify, I'm essentially still responding to this post:

Schwarzwald posted:

Something important to note here is that the ghetto and holocaust imagery has been a part of the story since chapter one. The most the can be said about the Marley chapters is that they made explicit what had be implicit from the start.

A version of Attack on Titan without such parallels couldn't exist.
With a :psyduck: because the initial premise of being besieged by monsters was not in any way "holocaust imagery." Not even implicitly.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 2, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Maybe the true Holocaust was the friends we made along the way

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

U-DO Burger posted:

Maybe the true Holocaust was the friends we ate along the way

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

If only they were badges instead of armbands. Then we'd never have to post over this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I remember a lot of people speculating "what if the walls were to keep people in" in the pre-basement days but that's pretty much it. Other than the characters all having German names and the society being militaristic, the connection to nazi Germany was non-existant.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I kinda feel like people just want to call it fascist because it's Japanese and has a military in it, even if the series is entirely about characters fighting for freedom from oppression and the destruction of any system that exists to keep them imprisoned and under the thumb of those who would either enslave them or wipe them from the earth. The main character's entire superpower is based around his desire for freedom, for god's sake.

People on the internet just like to make up things to be superior about rather than spend that time confronting real problems, big surprise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eiba posted:

Edit:
To further clarify, I'm essentially still responding to this post:

Last night I started wondering if I had misremembered how the series was in the beginning so I reread the first few volumes...and it turned out I misremembered how the series was in the beginning.

You were right, and I pretty heavily over stated how implicit it was.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's 24 episodes in the next season? Hard to say how could they even fill that with 18 chapters with the royal family and 16 for the attack on the wall/basement journey. I could seem them stretch the royal family part or somehow cram all that into those episodes. I'm kinda interested to see if people stick with the royal family arc for how much it shifts from fighting titans to more of a fighting humans plot.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tenzarin posted:

There's 24 episodes in the next season? Hard to say how could they even fill that with 18 chapters with the royal family and 16 for the attack on the wall/basement journey. I could seem them stretch the royal family part or somehow cram all that into those episodes. I'm kinda interested to see if people stick with the royal family arc for how much it shifts from fighting titans to more of a fighting humans plot.

We're going all the way to the sea, my friend. That's 39-40 chapters.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Personally I stopped reading chapter to chapter during the uprising arc for that reason, and only started reading again partway through return to shinganshina. I do think that weekly episodes will be easier to keep viewers interested than a monthly series where you're liable to just forget about it if the last chapter was a dud.

For similar reasons, I think it's really important that the anime make it all the way to shinganshina to avoid losing viewers in the off-season. If people watch the titan show, and get no titans for a full 24 episodes, I can see that turning a bunch of people away from season 4.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

I kinda feel like people just want to call it fascist because it's Japanese and has a military in it, even if the series is entirely about characters fighting for freedom from oppression and the destruction of any system that exists to keep them imprisoned and under the thumb of those who would either enslave them or wipe them from the earth. The main character's entire superpower is based around his desire for freedom, for god's sake.

People on the internet just like to make up things to be superior about rather than spend that time confronting real problems, big surprise.

This might surprise you, but fascists believe they're fighting for freedom too. They believe they're under attack by (((the enemy))) and have to fight back in any way possible. That's like fascism 101.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Chapter 105 title: Assassin's Bullet

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Sub Harrison posted:

why isayama why

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

This might surprise you, but fascists believe they're fighting for freedom too. They believe they're under attack by (((the enemy))) and have to fight back in any way possible. That's like fascism 101.

Sure but if delusional fascists want to read a manga with a very clear nazi analog and decide that they are in fact not those guys, that's their problem.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fister Roboto posted:

"When u really think about it fascists and perpetrators of genocide are actually justified because they're scared of minorities"

Sure, dude. I'll give you a hint here, we executed the nazis who thought they were doing the right thing, and we executed the nazis who were just following orders.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Everyone believes they are the good guy so I’m not sure what point you were trying to make

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So... you're saying genocide isn't inherently bad? In what world does someone's motivations for their actions matter more than the results, especially when their actions are literal crimes against humanity?

This is where stereotypes about manchildren watching anime come from, you know. It's people with the minds of children trying to explain why it's wrong to try to fight against genocide as long as the people doing the genocide are sufficiently brainwashed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

So... you're saying genocide isn't inherently bad? In what world does someone's motivations for their actions matter more than the results, especially when their actions are literal crimes against humanity?

This is where stereotypes about manchildren watching anime come from, you know. It's people with the minds of children trying to explain why it's wrong to try to fight against genocide as long as the people doing the genocide are sufficiently brainwashed.

Not you. The guy that thought it was a revelation that fascist don’t consider themselves the villians.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, that makes more sense.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ChairMaster posted:

"When u really think about it fascists and perpetrators of genocide are actually justified because they're scared of minorities"

Sure, dude. I'll give you a hint here, we executed the nazis who thought they were doing the right thing, and we executed the nazis who were just following orders.

Where the gently caress did I say they were justified you absolute moron?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everyone believes they are the good guy so I’m not sure what point you were trying to make

The point I was trying to make is that saying you're fighting for freedom doesn't make you not fascist.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I suggest you complete your thoughts and posts if you don't want other people to complete them for you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe you shouldn't make things up to feel superior about.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Sub Harrison posted:

:negative: Noooo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe you shouldn't make things up to feel superior about.

Dude, it's just that you came very close to saying "actually, maybe the SJWs are the true fascists". There's a difference between stated mission and reality, and you seem to be mistaking one for the other in that post. I think it's kinda unarguable that Paradis Island is a shithole and the Eldians are legit hosed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jean nooooo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dias posted:

Dude, it's just that you came very close to saying "actually, maybe the SJWs are the true fascists". There's a difference between stated mission and reality, and you seem to be mistaking one for the other in that post. I think it's kinda unarguable that Paradis Island is a shithole and the Eldians are legit hosed.

I'm really sorry if it came across that way, that was definitely not what I intended to say. The person I was responding to seemed to be naively saying that someone who claims to be fighting for freedom can't be fascist, and I pointed out that was wrong, because "fighting for freedom" is the number one justification that fascists use. I thought that I was being pretty clear about that, but I guess I was wrong.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

according to the leak I saw it's worse than Jean

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ATP_Power posted:

according to the leak I saw it's worse than Jean

That’s not hard to accomplish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm really sorry if it came across that way, that was definitely not what I intended to say. The person I was responding to seemed to be naively saying that someone who claims to be fighting for freedom can't be fascist, and I pointed out that was wrong, because "fighting for freedom" is the number one justification that fascists use. I thought that I was being pretty clear about that, but I guess I was wrong.

He didnt say they claimed, he said they were.
like we have seen the characters from the beginning, and have a window into their thoughts. they are not just "claiming" stuff