Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I really like the team! Gen 3 has some of my favorite pokemon, at least in terms of design. I'm glad you picked some of the generation's best, like Aggron.

rannum posted:

Oh good we finally got Wally's underwhelming last stand so now I can talk about the ridiculousless that is ORAS Wally
The fight is now in a field of flowers as the sun shines down upon you and an amaaaaazing rock theme blares

It is all so wonderfully over the top for this goober you've met twice before as you beat up on his tiny flower person and cloud bird
Take it in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpophTmjELM&t=38s

Course the nice thing about the Remakes is you get to see him in the post game and if you meet the right criteria you can fight him with a new team.

it's

it's a step up, so to speak

Absolutely the best part of the remakes, and proof that Gamefreak does know how to make things better even though they mess a lot of things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why isn't Dusclops weak to Dark?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I just didn't think to mention it since it'll encounter Shadow Ball a lot more often than Crunch, since the only good Dark attacker is Houndoom. Tyranitar doesn't even use Dark moves in this gen!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It’s kinda weird that Groudon and Kyogre are set up to be these legendary rivals when Kyogre has literally every advantage over Groudon. And given how Water types can usually learn Ice moves he could probably take Rayquaza as well

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It’s kinda weird that Groudon and Kyogre are set up to be these legendary rivals when Kyogre has literally every advantage over Groudon. And given how Water types can usually learn Ice moves he could probably take Rayquaza as well

Kyogre's moveset was ridiculous. Aside from all the big water (want to throw around your HP? Water Spout! General utility? Surf! Sheer power? Hydro Pump!) moves it got Thunderbolt, Thunder, Ice Beam & Blizzard and hey want to use your attacking stat for some reason? Body Slam & Earthquake just for kicks. And it got Calm Mind! It even learns Ice Beam & Calm Mind naturally so you dont have to use TMs on it. Sapphire players take on a level 45 Kyogre with the moveset Body Slam (it gets that too, why not!), Calm Mind, Ice Beam & Hydro Pump.

Groudon's really gets the short end of the stick. Kyogre has a fantastic special move pool to accommodate its special attack and then some okay physical moves if you really want to use them. Groudon has an okay special move pool (dragon claw, the fire moves, the electric moves to hit kyogre i assume, solar beam) because that's all Drought can do for it. Want physical? You have Bulk Up, Earthquake and....Ancient Power & Brick Break. Which fair's fair you have base 150 attack and a move to buff your 2 best stats you are going to deal damage, but kyogre gets everything it could ever want.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Kyogre was actually considered to be the best Pokemon in the game when it came to Ubers in Smogon for the longest time. Though Groudon was no slouch, and had some options against Kyogre.

Then ORAS happened and then Mega Rayquaza became one of the most broken Pokemon in existence to the point of getting banned from Ubers :laffo: and Primal Groudon took Kyogre's throne as best the Uber in the series. Primal Kyogre isn't bad by any means, but without Primordial Sea, it flat out can't do much to Primal Groudon.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Primal Groudon learned the power of Fire. Then it also learned to get rid of Water because it was double weak to it.

Primal Groudon is a good boy.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
To this day I keep forgetting Groudon is supposed to be Ground type because everything about its design screams Fire.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Trasson posted:

To this day I keep forgetting Groudon is supposed to be Ground type because everything about its design screams Fire.

Same. I've definitely switched out of a grass type against a Groudon before for just that reason!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So, if anyone is interested in it, I did a thing. Crosspeice covered Pokemon Contests pretty well, but if you want to know what happens when you combine them with insane obsessiveness... well, here. I'm sorry if the formatting isn't the best it could be; it's my first attempt at anything remotely like an LP. Putting this together has definitely given me a greater level of appreciation for the amount of work that goes into SSLPs, too. Test poster link if you prefer that.

Anyway, enjoy. Or laugh at me. Whichever you prefer.

Goofy’s Dog Show Adventures

This is a little project I’ve been working on for a while now (off and on for the past two years or so), and I’m pretty excited to finally share it.

Let’s meet Goofy.

Goofy was once a fighting dog owned by the leader of a criminal organisation, abused and forced into combat regardless of his own wishes. He was rescued and rehabilitated by a defector who couldn’t countenance what the group was doing, who then put in a great deal of work to find him a new home where he wouldn’t need to fight any more. His new owner is a girl who loves contests and decided to make him the star of her ensemble (he might be a bit quirky and dance to his own tempo, but he always puts on a good show). He’s a bit of a hoarder and loves shiny ribbons so this worked out well for the both of them, and he’s quite happy now.

(Translation: He’s the shadow Smeargle from Pokemon Colosseum, which will be important for reasons we’ll get into later (though I also like the narrative it ended up creating, which was mostly an accident; I enjoyed it enough to write the above blurb but I’ll break “character” from here on). I prefer using the default/official character names, so he was rescued by Wes and is now owned by May in Emerald. Connecting Dolphin to VBA-M to make the transfer is really bloody finicky and inconsistent, and it took me several hours of failed attempts to pull off successfully.)

Now let’s take a look at what he can do.

Moves:

Here is the moveset he has most of the time:

This is my favourite moveset for contests, and out of laziness I use it in every category. It works well even when it doesn’t have any on-type moves. Obviously, if I wanted to, I could tweak it to better match individual contest categories by using Heart Scales and sketching different moves between contests, but that ends up being a lot of unnecessary work (I’d do it to compete against other players though, if that were a thing I could do).

The core strategy is basically “ignore what everyone else does, just durdle and build up your own score”. (I prefer this approach to going for moves that hinder the opponents, because it has better odds of your score qualifying for a painting.) We’ve got two solid combos here. Ice Punch and Thunder Punch can be used in either order and the second one gets its points doubled, so those get alternated on the first three turns (if one of them matches the contest type, I make that the one that gets used twice for extra bonus hearts and a slim chance to “get the crowd going”). Then on turn four, we use Mean Look and combo into Destiny Bond for an insane 16 hearts on the final turn. (Curse could also be used to combo into Destiny Bond and gives one more heart, but I don’t like it as much, I prefer Mean Look’s nervousness effect to Curse’s “go last next turn”.)

This moveset actually isn’t exclusive to Smeargle – you can also get it on Gengar, Dusclops, or Gardevoir (but Gengar needs to be traded over from FR/LG, and you need to breed to get Destiny Bond for the Duskull family, and both Destiny Bond and Mean Look for the Ralts family; these are the only pokemon that get both the Destiny Bond combo and the punch combo, although the punches need to be taught by the postgame tutor in Emerald and are only available to the fully evolved forms). Unfortunately, none of these pokemon can be obtained in Colosseum or XD, which ruled them out for me (okay, there are a Duskull and Ralts in XD but they can’t get the egg moves so they don’t count).

I haven’t tried it because I think it’s more risky (and, shh, because I planned out the moveset before realising I could/had to use Smeargle), but instead of the punch combo (or any other 4/4 combo), a Smeargle could also try one of any number of combos into a move like Double-Edge that gives 6 hearts but makes it “more easily startled” (which doubles the point loss to jams), using that move on turn one and three and the move that initiates the combo on turn two. There’s definitely some potential here, though, so I’ll list the options. Only Smeargle can get these alongside the Destiny Bond combo.

Focus Energy (1, jam 3) into Double-Edge (6, double jam vulnerability)
Focus Energy (1, jam 3) into Take Down (6, double jam vulnerability)
Harden (2, protect against jam) into Double-Edge (6, double jam vulnerability)
Harden (2, protect against jam) into Take Down (6, double jam vulnerability)

Sunny Day (1+, benefits from crowd meter) into Overheat (6, double jam vulnerability)
Calm Mind (2, protect against jam) into Psycho Boost (6, double jam vulnerability)
Charge (2, bonus if same type as previous) into Volt Tackle (6, double jam vulnerability)

Lock-On (3, stop crowd excitement) into Superpower (6, double jam vulnerability)
Mind Reader (3, stop crowd excitement) into Hi Jump Kick (6, double jam vulnerability)
Mind Reader (3, stop crowd excitement) into Submission (6, double jam vulnerability)
Mind Reader (3, stop crowd excitement) into Superpower (6, double jam vulnerability)

For comparison, assuming no jams or crowd/type bonuses:
the safe strategy yields 4 + 8 + 4 = 16 hearts
versus the risky strategy 6 + (1-3) + 12 = 19-21 hearts

Charge/Volt Tackle seems like it’d have the highest potential payoff here. I might have to give this a go at some point, although I’m not expecting my preferences to change.

Pokeblocks and Contest Stats:

I refused to settle for anything less than the best here. I created my own set of Pokeblocks that would enable any pokemon to reach the maximum of 255 in every stat; there are other ways to do that, but I like mine because it’s efficient and completes in only 5-8 blocks depending on performance and the pokemon’s nature (realistically 7-8, unless you’re insanely good at the Berry Blender minigame which I’m not). That said, it brought its own set of challenges, due to requiring the e-Reader berries (including the Japan-exclusive ones).

There are 3 sets of 5 blocks, which I divide into three categories: the primary blocks, fillers to compensate for performance, and fillers to compensate for nature.

code:
Primary:
Pomeg/Petaya/Strib/Touga    (Gold, 58 Feel)    148 Spicy  97 Bitter
Kelpsy/Apicot/Eggant/Ginema (Gold, 54 Feel)    148 Dry    97 Sour
Qualot/Liechi/Chilan/Drash  (Gold, 58 Feel)    148 Sweet  97 Spicy
Hondew/Ganlon/Yago/Niniku   (Gold, 58 Feel)    148 Bitter 97 Dry
Grepa/Salac/Pumkin/Topo     (Gold, 58 Feel)    148 Sour   97 Sweet

Fillers (Performance):
Pecha/Pomeg/Nutpea/Kuo      (Grey, 9 Feel)    10 Spicy  10 Sweet  10 Bitter
Rawst/Kelpsy/Nutpea/Kuo     (Grey, 9 Feel)    10 Dry    10 Bitter 10 Sour
Aspear/Qualot/Nutpea/Kuo    (Grey, 9 Feel)    10 Spicy  10 Sweet  10 Sour
Cheri/Hondew/Nutpea/Kuo     (Grey, 9 Feel)    10 Spicy  10 Dry    10 Bitter
Chesto/Grepa/Nutpea/Kuo     (Grey, 9 Feel)    10 Dry    10 Sweet  10 Sour  

Fillers (Nature):
Pinap/Pomeg/Nutpea/Kuo      (Purple,   8 Feel)    22 Spicy  10 Sweet
Razz/Kelpsy/Nutpea/Kuo      (Indigo,   8 Feel)    22 Dry    10 Bitter
Bluk/Qualot/Nutpea/Kuo      (Brown,    8 Feel)    22 Sweet  10 Sour
Nanab/Hondew/Nutpea/Kuo     (LiteBlue, 8 Feel)    22 Bitter 10 Spicy
Wepear/Grepa/Nutpea/Kuo     (Olive,    8 Feel)    22 Sour   10 Dry
Looking at the “primary” set, you may notice a slight asymmetry in that one has 54 feel while the rest have 58. This is not an error: for some reason the Ginema berry has 70 feel when the others in its symmetry group (Strib, Chilan, Niniku, Topo) have 85. This ends up being important to how the set functions.

The flavour values shown are assuming minigame performance of 90 RPM. If you are somehow able to exceed 106 RPM when blending, then the “primary” blocks would be sufficient by themselves to reach 255 in every stat (for a neutral-natured pokemon). If not, there is a 26 feel deficit after feeding 4 of them (as long as one of the ones fed is the 54 feel one), which we can use to squeeze in fillers (specifically, two from the “performance” group and one from the “nature” group add to exactly 26, bringing us to 254 feel used before the final block is fed).

Any two “performance” fillers can be chosen, as long as you mind the overlap so that every flavour is covered once (which means a single flavour will double up). If the pokemon has a non-neutral nature, the doubled-up stat should be the one reduced by its nature (and then the appropriate “nature” filler can be fed to further boost that stat). After this, the final primary block is fed and the pokemon should have the maximum of 255 in every stat as well as 255 Feel, for optimal performance in every contest category.

Here are some highlights from the feeding process.

This is a blank status screen. Goofy had never eaten a Pokeblock and had zero contest stats.

And here’s a look into my Pokeblock Case, showing 15 blocks made according to my recipes. I ended up doing slightly better than the 90 RPM assumed in my calculations, but not quite good enough to eliminate the need for the fillers. (You’ll notice the game only shows partial information, it only tells you the level of the strongest flavour.)

Select the Pokeblock and choose which Pokemon to give it to…

You see an animation where the Pokeblock is tossed to the Pokemon, and it eats it. (There are different animations for different natures of Pokemon, it’s pretty cute. You’ll also get a message about how much the Pokemon liked it, which depends on the nature and the flavours in the block but actually means nothing for gameplay purposes. Goofy has a neutral nature, which means he has no preferences and will never respond “happily” or “disdainfully”.)

And after this, you get an animation where it shows the stats being increased on the pentagonal display. I like how this looks, even if the display’s a bit weird to parse – basically it slides the vertex of the inner polygon along a line to the corner of the pentagon as the stat increases, then it fills it in in green even though the area doesn’t represent anything (although watching it fill up makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something).

Primary Block 1. +150 Cool, +98 Smart. Feel: 0 + 58 = 58.

Primary Block 2. +150 Beauty, +98 Tough. Feel: 58 + 54 = 112.

Primary Block 3. +150 Cute, +98 Cool. Feel: 112 + 58 = 170.

Primary Block 4. +150 Smart, +98 Beauty. Feel: 170 + 58 = 228.

Filler Block 1. +10 Cool, +10 Smart, +10 Cute. Feel: 228 + 9 = 237.
(I arbitrarily chose to use the first two filler blocks in the list. After eating this one, Cool and Smart are at maximum.)

Filler Block 2. +10 Beauty, +10 Smart, +10 Tough. Feel: 237 + 9 = 246.
(Beauty is now at maximum as well. One curious thing you may notice in this screenshot is that it only shows the “UP” for two stats being increased because Smart was already at maximum.)

(If Goofy had had a non-neutral nature, here is where I would have fed the extra filler block. It would have a feel of 8, bringing the total feel consumed to 254. But it wasn’t necessary, so I didn’t.)

Primary Block 5. +150 Tough, +98 Cute. Feel has now hit the cap of 255.
(Tough and Cute are now maximised as well. Goofy has achieved perfect contest attributes. Look at all that green! I was really pleased with this screenshot for another reason, because you can see the full ring of stars – they’re a rough representation of how much Feel has been consumed, but they’re animated so you don’t always see all of them.)

Here’s what happens if I try to give him more. He’s so full he can never eat again. How sad.

Here’s a bit of proof that it worked, using an external save editor to look at Goofy’s stats.

I’ve glossed over a lot about how these Pokeblocks were actually made, but that was actually a pretty involved process. If you're not interested in hearing about this, feel free to skip ahead to the results section.

Let’s talk a bit about the e-Reader berries first. There are twelve of these, released in two series of cards; only the first of those series got an English release. The e-Reader actually uses different encodings for the English and Japanese cards, so a Japanese e-Reader is needed (which also means Japanese Ruby or Sapphire cartridges, because you can only link the e-Reader with a same-language game). Also, a save file can have at most one type of e-Reader berry (they always go in slot 43 in the berry pouch); scanning a different card merely causes your berries to transform into the new type. Which means that it’s either necessary to stop and scan new cards after making each Pokeblock, or have 12 cartridges/save files (the minimum requirements would be 4 GBAs and 4 cartridges, at least 2 of which are Japanese Ruby/Sapphire, the Japanese e-Reader and the 12 Japanese berry cards).

I did this in emulation rather than on hardware, which offers some shortcuts but is still a pain. I played through Ruby once and then duplicated the save to make 12 copies, one for each berry. One weird thing people may not know is that an English save file is still compatible with the Japanese version, so for the Japanese-exclusive berries I could just temporarily switch to a Japanese ROM and link with the Japanese e-Reader+ ROM (using a variant of VBA Link that supports the e-Reader), then go back to using an English ROM again once the berry was loaded. It ends up looking a bit weird: the berry’s name and “tag” page get loaded directly from the card rather than being preexistent in the game data, so it keeps the Japanese info and the English game gets confused by bits of it. The berry name ends up looking garbled in the menu, text on the tag page doesn’t show up correctly and trying to view it sometimes makes the game crash to title screen (I’m not sure if it just doesn’t work for certain berries or if the crash is random), but otherwise everything works fine, and the stats are correct when blending which is the important thing. You can do this in both directions, too, if for some reason you want the berry name to be in English in a Japanese game.

Touga berry (Japanese exclusive) in the bag, and its tag page, when viewed in an English game.

(As an unrelated aside, if you’re playing in emulation there are also some other fun tricks you can do by opening the save with a different ROM. Paired versions like Ruby/Sapphire and FR/LG often use the same save structure. Want to catch version exclusives from the other game? No problem! Of course you can also just gameshark or edit the save file, but I think it’s cool.)

And yeah, I cheated to get the Liechi berry. The Colosseum/XD berries are actually legitimate since I can link to Dolphin, but Liechi is still the biggest pain and I feel very little shame about that. My compromise was that I kept it isolated to the Ruby side files, and it only goes to my main Emerald file in Pokeblock form. And I could always have fallen back on the second set of Pokeblocks from here if I wanted to do it without the special berries. While using those recipes would no doubt have been less of a hassle, the idea of having my Pokemon consume all of the e-Reader berries tickled my completionist fancy.

After having the necessary save files set up, it was “simply” a matter of running four instances of VBA Link, playing the Berry Blender minigame in 4P mode, and swapping the save files around a bunch as necessary in order to make all of the Pokeblocks. My Emerald save was player 1, and player 2 could stay the same the whole time; players 3 and 4 got swapped around a lot. The “primary” blocks were the most annoying, as each one required a unique configuration of those files; the ten “fillers” all use Nutpea and Kuo as e-Reader berries go so they could all be done in one go with the same configuration afterward.

One thing I learned while doing this is that the red progress bar (which determines when the minigame ends) only advances when the players do button presses. I don’t think it’s entirely fixed at a certain number of inputs; it might advance different amounts depending on whether the button press is perfect, good or miss. Trying to control 4 players at once is trickier than it looks, I couldn’t work out a button mapping that felt intuitive and the best score I ended up with was around 96 RPM (hence the primary blocks ending up at 150/98). I do better than that with NPCs.

(During my first attempt at this, I completed most of the “primary” blocks and then had a boneheaded file-manipulation mishap, accidentally deleting my working directory for this project in a way that ended up being unrecoverable (even after dumping some money on a licence for a recovery program, I’d been moving too many things around too often for there to be anything stable to find). This was painful; I think I literally screamed when I realised. Thankfully I had sufficient backups not to lose my Emerald save or Goofy himself, but it was bad enough and the amount of work I had to redo was very frustrating. In retrospect, I regretted not thinking to name him Smeagol, because my aggravation at this proved he is my preciousss (and it sounds like Smeargle).)

Anyway, here’s the only interesting screenshot to show from this process:

Here I am starting a round of Berry Blender with 4 instances, this was the 5th primary block (Grepa/Salac/Pumkin/Topo). The interesting thing is that each player here is seeing a different berry sprite go in simultaneously; normally, they go in sequence, so everyone sees P1’s berry first, then P2’s berry, and so on. But when an e-Reader berry goes in, it gets weirder: since the berry sprite data is in the actual cards, each player sees whichever sprite is loaded in their file regardless of what the actual berry is. This screenshot was either the third or fourth berry that went in; I don’t remember which, since it ends up repeating the same sprites twice.

P1 (upper left) here is the Emerald file; May always sees the sprite for the Enigma Berry (which is the placeholder entry when there’s no e-Reader berry, English Emerald can’t see any others since it has no e-Reader functionality). P2 (upper right) sees the Nutpea Berry, which happens to be the one that file had, even though there’s no Nutpea Berry anywhere in the recipe. P3 (lower left) sees the Pumkin Berry, and P4 (lower right) sees the Topo Berry.

Despite this oddity, the stats of the output Pokeblock correctly reflect the berries that were chosen, not the sprites that were shown going in (I worried about this the first time I saw it). Every player receives an identical copy of the Pokeblock.

Results: Ribbons and Paintings

And here’s the reward for having done this: Goofy’s ribbon collection. As far as I know, these 27 ribbons are all that’s currently available in generation 3 (according to Bulbapedia there were some event ribbons given out at official tournaments and such, but these would be incredibly rare and obviously I have no way to get those). 21 of them are contest-related, as you’ll see.

Champion Ribbon (“Champion-beating, Hall Of Fame Member Ribbon”)
Given to any pokemon in the party upon beating the Kanto (FR/LG) or Hoenn (RSE) Elite Four.

Contest Ribbons (“$Category Contest $RankName Rank Winner!”)
Normal/Super/Hyper/Master rank ribbons for each of Cool/Beauty/Cute/Smart/Tough contest categories. 4 ribbons in each of 5 categories makes 20 total. You get awarded the ribbon the first time the Pokemon wins the appropriate contest, and a Pokemon can’t be entered in a higher-rank contest unless it already has the ribbons for the lower ranks.
For better or worse, it’s really not worth showing screenshots of the actual contests. They can be fun to play at times, but there’s not a whole lot to see, and even the most difficult NPC opponents don’t offer any challenge to a pokemon like this. He crushed everything.

Winning Ribbon (“For clearing Lv 50 at the Battle Tower”)
Victory Ribbon (“For clearing Open Level at the Battle Tower”)
These were the toughest ribbons to get. They’re given to all three pokemon in the party when you win a series of 7 battles in the Battle Tower, provided your streak is at least 50 battles long. The party can change between rounds, so there was no need to actually have Goofy in the party for the entire streak; I could use a full team of three for most of it and then only sub him in for the round that mattered (I admit to doing a bit of savestate abuse here so I wouldn’t have to redo the previous rounds).
For obvious reasons he didn’t really fight (especially in Open Level). I had him learn Endure temporarily to cheese things with Destiny Bond where possible (it’s kind of like the FEAR strategy in later gens but worse: he’d use Endure to activate the Salac Berry and get +1 speed stage, then try to outspeed with Destiny Bond the next turn and take the enemy with him). Goofy doesn’t like fighting, but if you hit him he’ll make you regret it. If I couldn’t pull this off, at least he could do a sacrifice play to give me a free switch-in. Dragging him through these battles was definitely a challenge, but it was more interesting than I thought it would be.

Artist Ribbon (“Ribbon for being chosen as a super sketch model”)
If you win a Master-rank contest with a good enough score (800 points), and have already met the curator in Lilycove Museum, an artist will paint a portrait of the Pokemon and offer to have it displayed there. The first time you accept this offer, he’ll give the Pokemon this ribbon. The ribbon doesn’t prevent the Pokemon from being painted again as long as it’s not already in the museum for that category; I’ll show the paintings momentarily.

Effort Ribbon (“Ribbon awarded for being a hard worker”)
An NPC in Slateport City’s open-air marketplace will give this ribbon to your lead pokemon if it has maximum (510 total) Effort Values (EVs). I think this one’s mainly in the game to give you a way to find out if you’ve maxed the EVs, but collectors can’t be picky.

National Ribbon (“Ribbon awarded for clearing all challenges”)
The description of this ribbon is nonsense. It’s actually awarded to Shadow Pokemon when you purify them in Colosseum or XD, and the reason Goofy needed to be that particular Smeargle. Only pokemon that started out as Shadow in those games are eligible for the maximum ribbon count. Apparently, according to Bulbapedia, the description of this ribbon isn’t in the game naturally and will be blank if it’s hacked in rather than trading properly from the Gamecube.

Earth Ribbon (“100 straight win commemorative ribbon”)
This is awarded to every pokemon in the party when completing Mount Battle start to finish uninterrupted in Colosseum or XD (during the story mode, not Colosseum’s Battle Mode). Unlike the National Ribbon, this one is still theoretically available to any pokemon, provided you can transfer it to a Gamecube game. This one also doesn’t have its description properly set if you hack it in.

The other reward is having these paintings in Lilycove Museum:

This is art and perfect in every way, I will not hear otherwise. There are several different possible captions for each of them, I think three? Regardless, they’re often hilarious, especially if you named the pokemon something silly like Goofy.

I also think it’s quite neat seeing the same pokemon rendered in all of these different filters and backgrounds.

Well, there you have it, my best shot at an "ultimate" Pokemon Contest competitor, and a complete Generation 3 ribbon collection (and no doubt proof that I am utterly insane). Was it worth it? Honestly, probably not, but I enjoyed working out how to do it and at the very least I'm glad it turned out to be possible.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 2, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's some good poo poo. Feel free to edit the test post into your forums post and I'll add it to the OP.

My version of the whole contest stuff is very obviously from someone who literally read up about it the night before to get the basics down. I've never really bothered with the side modes much since I didn't fancy the work that went into them. Now that I can hack easily and show it off for people, well of course I'm going to do them! So seeing someone who actually knows what they're doing is a real treat. Excellent work.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Done. Thanks.

I'd originally planned to leave it on the test poster so people could ignore it if they wanted, but if you prefer it inline with the thread that's good too.

It's always been weird to me how much effort Game Freak puts into these side modes, only for them to fall by the wayside and get ignored by most players (I don't blame players for ignoring them either, considering how little they end up mattering in the games themselves). This one happens to have been my favourite, but a lot of them are drat good for what they are and a lot more interesting than they seem at first glance.

Edited to add: I'm not going to claim to be some kind of expert on this either, I'm sure there are people somewhere who have come up with better strategies than me. (Also, a lot of the stuff I did is probably incredibly unnecessary, I know people have gotten complete ribbon collections on pokemon other than Smeargle. If you have perfect stats, you barely need to care about the moveset and you certainly don't need to optimise it as much as I tried to do, and especially if you're more concerned with ribbons than paintings. The expression "gilding the lily" certainly comes to mind.) And fun as this was, I think I'd actually encourage people to go with the 5-man contest team strategy rather than something like this, because having more variety when playing through all of the contests is a plus. Doing the same moves in the same order 20 times in a row gets pretty tedious, whereas a team like you used in the LP can at least have some variation in the play styles.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 30, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was really interesting, Explopyro. You clearly put a lot of effort into giving Goofy his ribbons, including things I would've never thought about (such as making berries with yourself through emulating several games at once, geez). I definitely learned more stuff about how Berries and the like worked here too.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I started playing Pokemans from Gen 1 and I have never found the beauty contests fun or interesting.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 27: End of the Elite

The Pokemon League

It's been a long journey, but here we are, at the Elite Four. Let's begin, shall we?

Elite Encounter

That's good! Looking real good! All right! You and me, let's enjoy a battle that can only be staged here in the POKEMON LEAGUE!

VS The Elite Four :siren: VS Sidney :siren:

Sidney/Kagetsu: They said I was a punk, but I'm one of the Elite Four!
From sinister, and kage (shadow), getsu (evil), getsu (moon) and kagetsu (jade plant).

Like with Gen 2's Elite Four, our team is at the level of the lowest opponent. The Hoenn Elite Four can be pretty tricky, but we've fought a lot of trainers to get to where we are, so I think we'll be alright.

While a couple of changed Pokemon are obvious, a lot of the Pokemon we'll be facing have slightly changed movesets from RS, which is a change I always appreciate. Though, uh, this Cacturne is a bad example since it hasn't changed at all.

Pfft, whatever, we've got this.

Uh

Quit it!!!

Oh look, here's something to make me... crabby! Wait that doesn't really work for a lobster.

That could be a problem.

But it won't. Like previous Elite Fours, unless I'm having trouble, I won't be using super effective moves and I won't be looking at movesets beforehand. So it should be a lot of fun.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay I won't be exploding in every battle, Cold Gregg does need experience after all.

I also don't mind using Fly against this thing because, man, gently caress this thing.

I'm getting owned by my least favourite status.

Wake me up inside. Can't wake up.

Well this is one way to make this battle go on longer.

Thank god for that. Sheesh.

The Pokemon League

You've got what it takes to go far. Now, go on to the next room and enjoy your next battle!

Hopefully the next battle won't be full of annoying statusy Pokemon.

While I trained, I gained the ability to commune with GHOST-type POKEMON. Yes, the bond I developed with POKEMON is extremely tight. So, come on, just try and see if you can even inflict damage on my POKEMON!

VS The Elite Four :siren: VS Phoebe :siren:

Phoebe/Fuyō: I wonder how my grandma at Mt. Pyre is doing?
From phobia or phantom, and fuyō (cotton rosemallow, the flowers in her hair) or yōkai (phantom).

Cool. Yet again we have a prominent Ghost type user without many Ghost types to use. What, Shedinja too good for you?

Curse might seem pretty bad, but you can just easily switch out and it means the bulky user just got rid of half its health. It's pretty nice to see. Just missing out on fainting, however, is not.

What spooky foe is next?

Well that was fun. I just wanted to see if Calbrena could knock it out in one hit. Turns out she can, cause she's great.

Alright Wargreymon, just hit one Iron Tail.

Good job there. Sigh.

...why does this have Ice Beam? Bah.

But hey, I won't turn down wonky accuracy rolls. Let's get some hits in.

I always forget that end of turn effects come after switching before Gen 4. Just something I never got used to.

It's a close fight, but Calbrena has it in the bag.

Oh yeah

Curse strats it is. Since the AI rarely switches, it's a nice little four turn timer against foes that won't be broken down before that. Mainly used because the one mon that could've taken them down just fainted.

This Dusclops has a wild moveset.

I think we've got this.

Yeah just gently caress off.

The Pokemon League

I didn't recognize it, so it's only natural that I lost. Yup, I'd like to see how far your bond will carry you. Go ahead, move on to the next room.

Ohhhhhh, we're halfway there.

But all I have seen are challenges by weak TRAINERS and their POKEMON. What about you? I would please me to no end if I could go all out against you!

VS The Elite Four :siren: VS Glacia :siren:

Glacia/Prim: The Ice type can be better trained in this hot land.
From glacier, and Primula, flowers that grow in an alpine climate.

Hey we've seen this thing before, it's the big seal thing but not the really big seal thing.

Did Glacia send something out? I blinked and missed it.

Ah okay, she's got a mad ball as her first mon. Neat.

It's not doing much, but it is being annoying.

Let's see if we can boost up and blast past it.

Of course.

Another one? It's like there's not a lot of Ice types in this region. And yet here's a trainer to specialize in that type.

Haven't seen that effect in a while. Which is a shame since it does nothing for us.

Always got something for the Ghost type it seems. Oh well.

I am loving the Elite Four's Pokemon variety here. Hoo doggy.

Get outta here with that.

Here's the big bulky walrus. With high HP and pretty good stats across the board aside from Speed, this is one mon that won't be going down very easily. It takes any Ice attack you send its way and basically has a resistance to Fire as well. While you're trying to whittle it down, it will deal some damage with its STAB moves and various physical options. It really hasn't changed much since Spheal, it learns the same moves and now hits harder. When you think of a big sack of HP, this is what you think of, it's very good at what it does, but it really does nothing else due to its limited options. Its various weaknesses are easy to take advantage of, but up against the right Pokemon, this thing just doesn't die.

Alright Cold Gregg is not the best member to fight this thing, yikes.

Close, but barely not enough. As always.

I think Wargreymon would've lived had it not crit, but I say that every time, so you never know.

Cleanup crew

The Pokemon League

It's no surprise that my icy skills failed to harm you. Advance to the next room. And there, confirm the truly fearsome side of the POKEMON LEAGUE.

What, is it gonna be Dragon for the third time? Sounds too predictable.

At times, they hinder us. At times, they help us. For us to battle with POKEMON as partners, do you know what it takes? Do you know what is needed? If you don't then you will never prevail over me!

VS The Elite Four :siren: VS Drake :siren:

Drake/Genji: I dedicate myself to the Pokemon that saved me.
Take a guess, and from genjin (Chinese figwort) and genjū (mythical beast).

While this dreamer cooks in its shell, it hits pretty hard and can take a few physical hits. Like the other psuedo mid evolutions it really can't reach evolution just as it is, it just doesn't have the stats for it, nor trainers in the entire game, unless you want to grind loads, which I never want to do. Its best physical move is Headbutt, so unless you want to use Dragonbreath or Ember, you should give it some TMs. It gets some nice options, but it really can't use its STAB for much, so you've got Return and Brick Break, which ain't too bad, but what it really needs is a nice strong Dragon move and higher Special Attack. Guess this shell will just have to keep on dreaming.

Aw yeah, I love when Protect is used in single battles. Great fun.

Alright, you've had your spotlight, get going now.

Out from the swirling sands comes a Dragon that will absolutely get everything it deserves and more over the coming years. Ahem. While its Attack is now back to Trapinch levels, Flygon is a very well rounded attacker, with great STAB that has the Speed and the stats to use them, as well as pretty alright defenses. It won't be blowing you away unless you're using full Attack Earthquakes, but it has Fire Blast, Crunch and, uh, Giga Drain to deal some nice damage. Or you can go with Return and Steel Wing, it has a lot of options. I'm sure it'll be a remarkable Ground/Dragon type for years to come...

As you might expect, Drake has a lot of very scary Dragons. Thankfully they're mostly 4x weak to Ice, so we really need Cold Gregg right now. Always have an Ice user on your team, since GF just cannot stay away from endgame Dragon users. Literally every generation. Seriously.

Well someone grew up! Salamence is a super dangerous attacker, with fantastic stats and real firepower behind it. While it's STAB isn't much to write about, only Aerial Ace and Dragon Claw, no Outrage, its wide movepool and ridiculous Attack more than make up for it. While Dragon Dance is an Egg move, it can very easily go mixed and roast you with Fire Blast, or wreck you with Earthquake, along with Return, Brick Break, Crunch and Steel Wing. Having Intimidate just adds even more to it, giving it a fair few options against physical attackers and letting it rampage even more. Sure, it drops to an Ice move, but this thing will absolutely destroy you with very little effort, so I hope you've got a fast and bulky Ice Beam user.

Let's be honest, Wargreymon is not going to win this fight, but that's not what he's here for.

This is. Salamence is something you should not sleep on. It's scary!

Now it's time for floofy birb.

Neat, Calbrena will survive a Curse.

This line's affinity for Dragon Dance will always be its downfall.

Hey remember when Juan had one of these? Well now it's back, in elite form! I would've preferred another Flygon...

Thankfully Dragon Dance doesn't boost Special Attack.

Since we've taken out a lot of Pokemon quickly, Drake still has his healing items. Joy.

Well this is fun.

I sure am glad there's no more bulky Water types in our future, hahaha. Let's finish this.

The Pokemon League

Yes, what a TRAINER needs is a virtuous heart. POKEMON touch the good hearts of TRAINERS and learn good from wrong. They touch the good hearts of TRAINERS and grow strong. Go! Go onwards! The CHAMPION is waiting!

That was... a lot... of stairs. Phew. Well, anyway, there's no going back, it's time to face the Champion... RIGHT NOW! And come on, we all know it's Steven.

Champion Encounter

Oh good. More Water Pokemon. Just what this game needed. I'm thrilled, you can tell.

"to that crisis all by yourself."

Oops! It wouldn't be fair to say that you alone ended the crisis. You overcame that difficult situation by working as one with your POKEMON. We TRAINERS raise POKEMON by giving them items and by teaching them new techniques for battle. But we ourselves also learn many things from POKEMON. And this is where your achievements are put to the test against what others like you have achieved. Now! Who can most elegantly dance with their POKEMON in HOENN? Show me right here and now!

VS The Champion :siren: VS Champion Wallace :siren:

Wallace/Mikuri: I represent beauty as well as intelligence.
From William Wallace! Probably. And mi (beauty) and mikuri (branched bur-reed).

So I heard you liked Water types in your region of half water, so here's a Water Champion after a Water Gym Leader after a load of Water trainers. Yeah, it's a bit excessive.

Right out of the gate you need to damage this Wailord as soon as possible, as Water Spout will basically annihilate anything you've got out, so get its health down.

Watch out, it could become fully powered again, unless you keep up the pressure.

Annoying, but it did just do 3 damage.

Alright, one down. This is gonna be a pretty rough battle, since my team doesn't like Water types that well. I only have 1 resistance to Water after all, who drops immediately to any Ice move. Which half of Wallace's team has. Well, less than half now.

I'm gonna go all out against his entire team, since it's pretty scary, just a lot of bulky mons everywhere with lots of lovely attacks to wear you down. It's great fun.

Thankfully Tentacruel cannot take physical hits. Onto the next foe.

I hate this thing so much. Why did they do this?

Because of how evasion and accuracy works, you could just get walled completely by this Ludicolo as it slowly saps your health. Great design, absolutely love it.

Alright Nimbus, you did your best, but I dunno how we're gonna get through all that evasion.

How about we use a move that doesn't require accuracy?

But seriously, you could get lucky and hit a load of moves through Double Team and then he just heals the fuckin thing. Stall is just the antithesis to how Pokemon should be played. gently caress it.

Okay, I think I can see the finish line. There's only one thing Cold Gregg can do now!

Well poo poo. I know what's coming, so I might as well heal.

Revival Herbs are SO GOOD. Second best healing item, behind Moomoo Milk, of course.

Surprisingly, Calbrena can survive an Earthquake, so she gets the kill! Now it's time for quite the terror.

Okay we might be in trouble here.

Now sure, Curse strats are pretty cheesy, but I kinda have a +1 Attack Gyarados with Hyper Beam in my face. It's a bit of an emergency.

It's neat that Nimbus survived that, but being the final battle, Wallace has a million healing items.

During a recharge turn, down it goes and out comes the final Pokemon.

Yeah I'm not sorry. It was either this, or Ranmaru using all of its Thunderbolt PP.

He can even take a few special hits so I don't have to waste time healing. Just attack attack attack!

And there we go, Calbrena wins us the game. The rest of the team helped, I guess.

Champion Victory

And yet it was utterly glorious! Kudos to you, YUKI! You are a truly noble POKEMON TRAINER!

At times they danced like a spring breeze, and at times they struck like lightning. It was with light, yet surefooted, elegance that led your POKEMON. Even I felt bedazzled by your masterful performance! You now stand at the glorious peak of the POKEMON LEAGUE. I now proclaim you to be the new HOENN region...

May Encounter

Huh? What, what, what? YUKI... could it be that... it's already over?

YUKI, you've finally done it. When I heard that you defeated your own father at the PETALBURG GYM, I thought perhaps you had a chance... But to think you've actually become the CHAMPION! Ah, yes! What became of your POKEDEX? Here, let me see. Hmhm...

One can get a very good idea about the POKEMON of the HOENN region by looking through your POKEDEX. Anyways, congratulations! Now, go proudly into the final room!

No, let me rephrase that properly. The new CHAMPION! Come with me.

From here on, only those TRAINERS who have become CHAMPIONS may enter. You'll have to wait outside with PROF. BIRCH.

Groan... ... I'm just joking! That's okay! YUKI! Honestly, congratulations!

Hall of Fame

This is where we keep records of POKEMON that prevailed through harsh battles. It is here that the LEAGUE CHAMPIONS are honored.

Let's go over the team that won it all!

League Champions

That's a wrap. Man, nearly 37 hours, there was a lot to do in this game!

Credits

It's the end of another adventure. As per usual, it was quite the ride these past couple years doing this LP, I've changed jobs, had two kids, bought a house and... wait... I did this entire LP in THREE MONTHS??? It's still 2018???

While some of the credits play, it shows us various Pokemon we've caught. Since we're nearly done with the Pokedex, there's a lot of Pokemon to cycle through. I'll show off whenever our team comes up.

So yeah, since I made around 30 updates in the space of 81 days, I may have ever so slightly really enjoyed making this LP. Holy poo poo was it a blast. Sure, it was during a relatively quiet time in my life, so I don't think I'll be this crazy again, but I have really liked every aspect of making this LP.

Sure, the LP ain't over yet, this will be the only time we'll be seeing the credits though, and Emerald's postgame isn't that long. Sure, it's not as dire as RS's, but it'll soon be time to move on to another LP. And of course I'll be doing another one. I've really gotten into the groove of SSLPs, so much so that's I really don't fancy doing normal video LPs right now. Well, maybe another time.

There's a few things I wouldn't mind changing about my LPs, I always wanna improve after all, but overall, man this game has been great and I've had great fun. The team was really fun, there was so much to do and I just really enjoyed making this stuff for ya. It's only a couple of months until I've been doing Pokemon LPs for 3 years! Mental. Here's to many more.

And as always, cheers to those who read my stuff, reply, contribute, all that good stuff. While it makes me a bit obsessed, checking the thread every couple hours, it's always a joy to see people interacting with it. It's a lot of fun going on this journey and I'm real glad I can show it off in its entirety for you.

Thanks for a great reboot, Mr. Iwata.

The End

Next time: it's the postgame. poo poo, the thing I don't like is approaching!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 21, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Switching the champion was a cute idea but they should have swapped out Juan's specialty for...anything else.

So far as credits vignettes go, RSE's is simple but I really enjoy it. The sprites are very cute!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Calbrena was so good to you :allears:

Thanks for the LP, and I can't wait to see more of the LP!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Leraika posted:

Calbrena was so good to you :allears:

Thanks for the LP, and I can't wait to see more of the LP!

Agreed, I really like this team! Very cute + good pokemon all around. And also several of my favorites!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rannum posted:

Switching the champion was a cute idea but they should have swapped out Juan's specialty for...anything else.

So far as credits vignettes go, RSE's is simple but I really enjoy it. The sprites are very cute!
Alternately, they should have kept Steven as the Champion. I never understood why the change from Steven to Wallace even happened. Behind-the-scenes shenanigans at GameFreak or something?

Also, wow did I completely forget about Glacia even existing. I remember Sidney, Phoebe and Drake, but not her.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i will always love the ice E4 member in the area thats explicitly tropical

they should have put sneasel in the cave dammit (it wouldn't have been good cuz lol pre-gen 4 but still...)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

AradoBalanga posted:

Alternately, they should have kept Steven as the Champion. I never understood why the change from Steven to Wallace even happened. Behind-the-scenes shenanigans at GameFreak or something?

Also, wow did I completely forget about Glacia even existing. I remember Sidney, Phoebe and Drake, but not her.

it's because her design is basically Updated Agatha.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Water typing might be overkill at this point, but if you're going to have a Champion who specializes in one type, Water is probably the best way to go

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Water-types wouldn't be annoying at this point if over half of them weren't bulky.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just there for the sake of catching you by surprise, and from there on it became a tradition for odd gens to change Champions in their third versions. It's a good twist for a first-timer, even if Wallace is far worse of a final challenge than Steven is.

And I agree on how Glacia is weirdly forgettable. I guess her design is just kind of okay and doesn't pop out, and her team is insanely boring. It's not Flint-level terrible because at least it sticks to her type but seriously, three members of the Spheal line and two Glalies? Then again, I guess the only other option was Regice and that wasn't happening...who the hell decided Ice was a good choice here? The same person that made Flint in Gen 4?

Outside of that, the portrait thing was a really good addition in my opinion but goddamn it looks terrible with enlarged sprites, I'm glad that got fixed after this game. The credits for RSE are always oddly emotional for me, they nail the whole "end of journey" feeling down and I can't quite explain why. Though of course, there's more to be done in Hoenn.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Elite Four getting their own battle theme is one of my favorite things about Hoenn.

Shame about Wallace's Champion team, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

And I agree on how Glacia is weirdly forgettable. I guess her design is just kind of okay and doesn't pop out, and her team is insanely boring. It's not Flint-level terrible because at least it sticks to her type but seriously, three members of the Spheal line and two Glalies? Then again, I guess the only other option was Regice and that wasn't happening...who the hell decided Ice was a good choice here? The same person that made Flint in Gen 4?
Flint at least gets a much needed team overhaul with Platinum (and Sinnoh in general with Fire types) that fits the Fire theme, whereas Glacia just...exists with stuff you've either seen/evolved yourself or run into elsewhere. And like you said, she's handicapped by the lack of Hoenn-exclusive Ice types (seriously, they couldn't port over the Shellder/Cloyster or the Sneasel lines to boost type spread?) and Emerald does little to alleviate that issue.

But yes, Flint's original Diamond/Pearl lineup is a big pile of :psyduck:, but we'll discuss that nonsense when Crosspiece eventually covers Gen 4.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just there for the sake of catching you by surprise, and from there on it became a tradition for odd gens to change Champions in their third versions. It's a good twist for a first-timer, even if Wallace is far worse of a final challenge than Steven is.

Outside of that, the portrait thing was a really good addition in my opinion but goddamn it looks terrible with enlarged sprites, I'm glad that got fixed after this game. The credits for RSE are always oddly emotional for me, they nail the whole "end of journey" feeling down and I can't quite explain why. Though of course, there's more to be done in Hoenn.

Phoebe's got the same problems, for that matter. 2 banettes, 2 dusclops...she's lucky the game introduced sableye. Really the boringness helps explain why they went with the weird teams they did in gen 1 & 2
They probably should have used like Poison & Grass instead. Swalot/Weezing/Seviper/Muk/Vileplume & Breloom/Roselia/Tropius/Bellossom and then I dont know swap one of Sidney's Shiftry or Wallace's Ludicolo.

The remakes helped a little. Phoebe swapped a dusclops for Dusknoir, Glacia dropped her 2 Sealeos for...2 Frosslass. Drake retained his 2 Flygons but swapped his Shelgon for a Kingdra. Which is a strange decision because you get the national dex after Kyogre is done with and Victory Road even has trainers with national dex pokemon. They got cool post-game rematches with full, unique memebred teams though so its not all bad.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This team's proving a lot more effective than I'd been expecting it to, Gregg in particular - I've never used Glalie and was always very unimpressed by how it looked on paper, but it seems to be working out for you. Likewise with Calbrena, I've never really thought to use these kind of Curse strategies (I've used the move plenty, but always the non-ghost version...), but the AI certainly doesn't seem to know how to deal with it.

I think we're still in the stage of Game Freak not quite knowing how to design boss encounters, because it makes no sense to give the Elite Four pokemon that aren't fully evolved (nor to have so many repetitions in their teams). Of course this isn't the first time it's happened (at least it'll be the last), but in gen 1 and 2 at least I put it down to trying for variety since there were so few pokemon of the type. Then they just keep doing it. Likewise, they basically cop out on the berry/held item system in this game, gym leaders and E4 all seem to be given one Sitrus Berry on their ace pokemon and that's it. I guess it's nice to see something, but it never manages to be more than a minor annoyance, it neither provides meaningful challenge nor shows off the mechanics they designed. :effort:

I don't exactly mind Wallace as Champion, but Steven definitely has the more interesting team and probably works better with the pacing (as you say, there's already plenty of water, and we just had Juan). At least the abundance of water pokemon in Hoenn means Wallace could still have a varied team with different strategies to use, and Steven's still in the game, so I won't complain much.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the postgame stuff.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love how wargreymon's defining slide is using rock tomb to slow a guy down and dying.

Poor aron came out in the wrong generation.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Pokemon Adventures: Wallace and Winona

I'm doing these Gym Leaders together because of how they mesh and the themes of love, strength, and beauty in the RS chapters of Pokemon Adventures. Winona and Wallace are both Gym Leaders, although their relationship is rather Icy, Winona hates Wallace, over the fact that he slighted her in the past, what that slight is, is sort of a recurring element in RS, that is a decision made by one character in the pursuit of love, that wound up driving the other character away. Wallace loves Winona, he loves her so much that even after he defeated Steven to become the champion, it was all meaningless to him if he couldn't spend his new time and duties closer to her. So he gave up the title and became a Gym Leader. Winona was furious, furious he'd take a lesser position just for her, and furious at the idea of someone so much stronger than her, essentially smothering her with affection that she didn't feel was earned.

Again, a recurring theme. Ruby's initial actions to Sapphire is what drove them apart, Norman's actions towards Ruby drove them apart. Mimi, Ruby's Feebas, and her actions towards him drove them apart.

So Wallace is secretly the strongest dude on the continent, but mostly spends his times hitting the contest scene and being elegant and beautiful, no shocker then that he winds up becoming Ruby's mentor, in fact, the two are very similar, but while Ruby rejects his talent and hates his violent abilities, Wallace mixes the two and feels complacent, he's heartbroken, because even after all this time he loves Winona even if she wants nothing to do with him, but he expresses himself through contests. When the Gym Leaders initial decide who, of the two teams, they would side with, Wallace is very flat that he's backing Aqua because Water Types, though, again, nothing really comes of this discussion.

It's notable that Wallace only decided to mentor Ruby when he learns just how strong he is, he has no intentions of playing into his narcissistic attitude. Which goes along with the idea that Wallace is a more realized, though in his own ways, flawed, version of Ruby.

Winona on the other hand, is more like the Gym Leaders well... leader, she directs them and checks up on the derelicts (Like Norman) or the newbies who have no idea what it is they're doing (Like Flannery) When the crisis actually rocks Hoenn she's the one commanding the teams on the sidelines, which shows how well respected she is among the leaders but also reads to an issue she has... She's a warrior. And she knows she's a warrior at heart, and sitting on the sidelines and commanding the battle is not her place in the world, her place is fighting, it's what she loves and where she feels alive. That's why she's a good mentor for the Wild and brash Sapphire, because they are, as Ruby is to Norman, so close and alike. I would say Winona is more civilized and... neutered? Domesticated? In that she's been promoted upstairs to a job she doesn't really want a lot of the time.

That said she has great faith in Sapphire's power, being the only other gym leader (Along with Flannery) to vouch for her strength to be added to the Gym Leaders own against Magma and Aqua, and she is a welcome teacher to her, knowing how to pull her out of slumps and to push her to become stronger. It's clear there's a reason Winona is the first Gym Leader who causes Sapphire to stumble, in much the same way that Wallace defeated Ruby and forced him to be humbled. They represent realized versions of our protagonists.

That said, it's clear these two haven't found the time or managed to work up the effort to patch up their rocky relationship, it's been hinted at, at the future Wanda and Riley wedding in the Emerald Arc (as terrible as it is) that there's lingering flames. Still... these are examples of fully realized characters in the role of gym leaders and they're a treat to read about.

Next time, we'll be talking about Norman. And hoo boy...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Crosspeice posted:

Another one? It's like there's not a lot of Ice types in this region. And yet here's a trainer to specialize in that type.

They do this again in Diamond/Pearl with Flint. The Fire type specialist of the elite four. Of course, there's literally only one fire type evolutionary family in the pre-platinum shinnoh dex. So Flint uses it, and the final stage of the fire starter. He also uses a Steelix, Lopunny, and Drifblim because they can learn fire moves(even if Drifblim's sole contribution is Will-o-the-wisp)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It really makes me wonder about their design process. A Fire type Elite 4 member should have made them realize the dex needed to be changed, or maybes the dex should have made them realize a Fire specialist wouldn't work well.

But that's Game Freak for you, I guess.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kurieg posted:

They do this again in Diamond/Pearl with Flint. The Fire type specialist of the elite four. Of course, there's literally only one fire type evolutionary family in the pre-platinum shinnoh dex. So Flint uses it, and the final stage of the fire starter. He also uses a Steelix, Lopunny, and Drifblim because they can learn fire moves(even if Drifblim's sole contribution is Will-o-the-wisp)

Drifblim kind of makes sense. It's a hot air balloon. Thematic!
Steelix...i guess could represent actual fire starting flint?
Lopunny......??

Solumin posted:

It really makes me wonder about their design process. A Fire type Elite 4 member should have made them realize the dex needed to be changed, or maybes the dex should have made them realize a Fire specialist wouldn't work well.

But that's Game Freak for you, I guess.

You'd think by the point they give a gym leader an ambipom & octillery, an e4 member 3 non-fire types and another e4 member a dustox & beautifly they'd have rethought their decision to exclude a ton of families who got new evolutions from the dex.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Good poo poo, added to the OP, Onmi. The Winona and Wallace dynamic was pretty interesting, since nothing of the sort is hinted at in games. It's always cool seeing Adventures being fast and loose with character interactions.

Something I didn't really mention was due to Glacia having the Spheal line, it basically meant we were facing another Water type trainer, which wasn't fun. However, the Sealeo in Emerald don't have any Water moves, only in RS, so it is something GF was wary about. Though they also added Kingdra to Drake, so I dunno man. This also contributed towards Wargreymon not getting much done, since the trainers after Phoebe are very unfriendly to him, so I didn't get the chance to use him much. Oh well.

Next update will be pretty soon, since there's a lot of postgame stuff to go over and the sooner we start, the better.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
PokeSpe Norman is a treat and a half.

rannum posted:

Lopunny......??

Lopunny is kinda anthropomorphic and ridiculously feminine in appearance (especially Mega Lopunny, which gets pantyhose).

So I guess it's supposed to be "Lopunny is hot?" or something? But that'd be pretty weird if so.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

PokeSpe Norman is a treat and a half.

Lopunny is kinda anthropomorphic and ridiculously feminine in appearance (especially Mega Lopunny, which gets pantyhose).

So I guess it's supposed to be "Lopunny is hot?" or something? But that'd be pretty weird if so.

God that's probably it
they gave it that pose and a wolf whistle cry, they knew what they were doing

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah good you mentioned it so I didn't have to.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Anyway, you all know what time it is!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

What's been on the horizon the entire LP...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Not doing the Battle Frontier!!!

ah jk

• Locked thread