Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This thread is getting surreal as hell, I guess SMg coming in here broke people's brains?

This was a fun movie but it is crazy to me how hard people will go to defend the Marvel corporate brand's honor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It makes a lot of sense that goons better identify and sympathize with the printer carrying villian over the one poorly handling their grief.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CheesyDog posted:

Yes I remember the time Edward Snowden defeated the Nazis and then the alien invasion and then the AI uprising

This post is funny because it inadvertently also points out that at one point the MCU revealed the US government was run by Nazis who were more Nazi than regular Nazis, and everyone just forgot about it.

Edward Snowden literally revealed to his country that the government was doing constant, warrantless privacy violations on them and a not insignificant portion of the public still agrees with the government that he's a traitor and a bad guy.

Hollismason posted:

It's almost like Thanos is insane.

Literally nobody criticizing Thanos as a villain is saying that he's sane. What we are saying is that "the villain is bad because he is bad" is poor writing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

This thread is getting surreal as hell, I guess SMg coming in here broke people's brains?

This was a fun movie but it is crazy to me how hard people will go to defend the Marvel corporate brand's honor

I mean, you'll defend DC's flicks with just as much ferocity. You like what you like. :shrug:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, you'll defend DC's flicks with just as much ferocity.

To be fair, at least Teen Titans Go! To the Movies looks like it might actually be worth seeing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thanos objective makes sense because its something a crazy person would think. The biggest give away is Mantis when she's reading his emotions flat out says that he's distraught , upset, etc.. he's not just saying that poo poo. He genuinely is sad and upset at wht he did

I think the problem people have is that Thanos is portrayed as a villain motivated by emotion and actually love. That's upsetting but thats kind of true. Love makes people kind of nuts and irrational.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Did the other people on his planet have hosed up ballsack chins or is it just him? The shot of Titan had other purple Skinned citizens but they were too far to confirm the presence of scrotum Jaws.

In the comics, Thanos is an aberration. The rest of his race look like humans, then this purple ugly kid is born and everyone is like "ew" and put off by him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I mean, you'll defend DC's flicks with just as much ferocity. You like what you like. :shrug:

I mean, I like to think I will usually hold out for "this movie sucked poo poo and nothing made sense" style poo poo posts and ignore the smaller and generally correct complaints about the DC movies. E.g. I have agreed with you in the past that BvS theatrical had rushed, sloppy editing that gave the film a loose feel. And while I liked Eisenberg's Luthor, I don't hold it against people who don't

It's crazy seeing people being told to gently caress off and be hit with super aggressive sarcasm because they thought Thanos' motivation was weird and a bit dumb. It was weird and a bit dumb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

Edward Snowden literally revealed to his country that the government was doing constant, warrantless privacy violations on them and a not insignificant portion of the public still agrees with the government that he's a traitor and a bad guy.

I don't know a single person who's emotionally affected by Edward Snowden. No one cares about him. Probably the same way no one cares about Captain America. A teenage kid isn't going to lie awake at night freaking out about Cap being a war criminal.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Thanos is a pretty good intimidating punchy fighty guy, but all his motivation and backstory was dull as dishwater.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thano's goal isn't to like rule the universe. He's not trying to further his own ambitions and that's always interesting with a villain.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine if a garden variety SovCit or other insane libertarian or, like, Kim or Trump got the infinity gauntlet.

Lmao that a totally mad villain is necessarily a bad motivator

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

It's crazy seeing people being told to gently caress off and be hit with super aggressive sarcasm because they thought Thanos' motivation was weird and a bit dumb. It was weird and a bit dumb.
It's really not that crazy. In fact, it's pretty common on the internet.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

why do you guys keep calling Thanos a "printer-carrier"

He never holds a single Inkjet in that movie.

I am dead serious, I don't understand.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I don't know a single person who's emotionally affected by Edward Snowden. No one cares about him. Probably the same way no one cares about Captain America. A teenage kid isn't going to lie awake at night freaking out about Cap being a war criminal.

You are intentionally missing the point at this stage. Before I made that metaphor, I hadn't personally thought about Snowden in like, I dunno, weeks. I am not arguing that people stress out about Snowden every day, I am arguing that showing a video of him to kick off a class would be really weird and awkward, and would almost certainly piss off a few parents who would complain about it loud enough to unnerve the school's administration, or even wind up on the news.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It's really not that crazy. In fact, it's pretty common on the internet.

That's true, and I realize I am fighting the tide with a broom in this case

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elizabeth Mills posted:

They are breathlessly trying to own other people on the internet for being huge nerds and "defending Marvel" by obliquely referencing something that only happened in a comic book 25 years ago and doesn't actually happen in the movie at all

:laffo:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Thano's is like :biotruths:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Elizabeth Mills posted:

lol I didn't notice this

It's a super old SA reference about a goon who carried a girl's printer home then got upset that she didn't want to bang him (upset online, I'm sure he didn't actually proposition her)

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gym coaches, a group of people known for both political awareness and making sure their lesson materials are updated

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Elizabeth Mills posted:

There's a long e/n post about a Nice Guy© carrying a printer across town for a woman and she didn't gently caress him, so we're supposed to feel bad for him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

I am arguing that showing a video of him to kick off a class would be really weird and awkward, and would almost certainly piss off a few parents who would complain about it loud enough to unnerve the school's administration, or even wind up on the news.

Probably would yeah! I'm sure there's some tape somewhere made for public schools with like...Bill Cosby or something in it. Or like showing your kids A Bug's Life in class when the villain of the film is a pedophile rapist. But some teachers don't really care enough to look for an alternative.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The first incel lore

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hollismason posted:

Thor being a dumb dude bro with a heart of gold is like the best characterization of him.

Closer to the actual myth than giving him any hint of intelligence, though mythical Thor is basically Goku with how much he just wants to fight everything.

Mythical Thor is Chaotic Neutral Goku.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, the band room has a poster of Miles Davis and I think he may have USED ILLEGAL DRUGS

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mordiceius posted:

Closer to the actual myth than giving him any hint of intelligence, though mythical Thor is basically Goku with how much he just wants to fight everything.

Mythical Thor is Chaotic Neutral Goku.

I hope that Hemsworth isn't going anywhere soon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

ILLEGAL DRUGS

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The Bloop posted:

The motivations of a literal alien intelligence (who is considered and labeled Mad by his own people) are unsatisfyingly alien to me.
I wish he was more human.
Human military leaders with armies and WMDs never have stupid or evil motivations.
I am very smart.

lol this movie wasn’t made for aliens

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CelticPredator posted:

Most of those kids couldn't give a poo poo about him. The whole point is no one really pays much attention to these people in the same way most people don't care much about war and politics other than a simple "Oh you hear this happened?" "Yeah, boy I tell ya, that's bad/good, anyway gimme that beer."

Lots of people care about war and politics, what sort of insane take is this.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I hope that Hemsworth isn't going anywhere soon.

Thank god for Waititi figuring out what to do with his character, he has too much charisma to waste on the previous Thor schtick

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I talked about Stark's nightmare earlier, where all the heroes are dead but him and there's no one left to defend the world, but given the ending, I think it seems implied he was off base- the real nightmare is the heroes outlive the world they try to defend. Hell, Thor is already in that position.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
While I have mixed feelings in general about the movie, I thought the disintegration scene was actually really well handled. Like yes, of course it's all going to be reversed in Avengers 4, but leaving that aside, I really like the way that it was somehow really restrained. There was very little music (if any?) music to attempt emotional manipulation, and most of the reactions were subdued, just a blank horror at the occurrences. This breaks with Spider-Man's death, but even there it somehow does not dip into the maudlin. This restraint, and the audience's familiarity with the characters, combine to create a scene that had a lot of emotional resonance for me, that I don't think would be present if it was our heroes screaming to the heavens while sad music plays.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CheesyDog posted:

Guys, the band room has a poster of Miles Davis and I think he may have USED ILLEGAL DRUGS

I can't believe I have to explain to you that using drugs is less severe of a crime than literal treason, but here we are.

This is also all one big distraction from my original point - the MCU specifically avoids implementing continuity because it doesn't know how to deal with consequences.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pirate Jet posted:

I can't believe I have to explain to you that using drugs is less severe of a crime than literal treason, but here we are.

This is also all one big distraction from my original point - the MCU specifically avoids implementing continuity because it doesn't know how to deal with consequences.

Nobody gonna care that the guy who saved the world three times wouldn't fill out some paperwork

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Meinberg posted:

While I have mixed feelings in general about the movie, I thought the disintegration scene was actually really well handled. Like yes, of course it's all going to be reversed in Avengers 4, but leaving that aside, I really like the way that it was somehow really restrained. There was very little music (if any?) music to attempt emotional manipulation, and most of the reactions were subdued, just a blank horror at the occurrences. This breaks with Spider-Man's death, but even there it somehow does not dip into the maudlin. This restraint, and the audience's familiarity with the characters, combine to create a scene that had a lot of emotional resonance for me, that I don't think would be present if it was our heroes screaming to the heavens while sad music plays.
gently caress yeah. The sound design in that scene was so loving haunting and on-point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Venuz Patrol posted:

lol this movie wasn’t made for aliens

:crossarms:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Guy A. Person posted:

Thank god for Waititi figuring out what to do with his character, he has too much charisma to waste on the previous Thor schtick

Apparently a lot of Thor is Chris Hemsworth's creation as he added a lot of his own interpretation to the character. My favorite being in Thor 2 when he hangs his hammer on the coat rack, that was a complete improv by Hemsworth. And we all know a lot of Thor 3 was improv'd as well, hopfeully because Waititi saw the true talent in Hemsworth.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CheesyDog posted:

Nobody gonna care that the guy who saved the world three times wouldn't fill out some paperwork

Yea, if there’s one thing you can say about the modern world it’s that it’s not insanely polarized and devoted to dividing itself into warring factions over literally anything.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pirate Jet posted:

Burress literally opens the video with "I guess this guy is a war criminal now." People would absolutely care that a massive public figure was suddenly labeled an enemy of the state. You completely ignored my metaphor: Imagine if a class opened with a video of Edward Snowden. Especially if these were children or teenagers, who have parents who can do the complaining for them, there is a 100% chance there would be outrage over it.

that analogy doesn't even really articulate how big a deal it is since snowden became a public figure after the leaks — it's like if audie murphy were immortal and still a national symbol (with his own museum!) but suddenly started supporting isis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Thanos owns