Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Nice, seeing I'm moving back soonish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Closing the loop on my poo poo Internet issues, it resolved itself after a couple of weeks. There was a gradual improvement over the course of the second week, so lord knows what that was about. Shaw is poop in the lower mainland, though - that much I am starting to come to understand.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I swear Shaw is doing poo poo with torrents now. Despite their constant swearing up and down that they're not throttling or shaping traffic, torrents have gone to poo poo lately. Now I think they're just blocking/throttling when it detects certain trackers. I can torrent anything legit, linux distros, etc, just fine, almost as fast as my connection will allow. As soon as it's something a little more "fun", speeds are poo poo. Tested this on dozens of torrents at this point. Boring, everyday poo poo = fast as gently caress. Fun stuff = slow as poo poo.

Tried multiple VPN's, OpenVPN, different configs in the torrent client, ports, port forwarding, different mixes of TCP/UDP, nothing makes a difference. The only thing that seems to make a difference is which trackers are associated with which torrent.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I swear Shaw is doing poo poo with torrents now. Despite their constant swearing up and down that they're not throttling or shaping traffic, torrents have gone to poo poo lately. Now I think they're just blocking/throttling when it detects certain trackers. I can torrent anything legit, linux distros, etc, just fine, almost as fast as my connection will allow. As soon as it's something a little more "fun", speeds are poo poo. Tested this on dozens of torrents at this point. Boring, everyday poo poo = fast as gently caress. Fun stuff = slow as poo poo.

Tried multiple VPN's, OpenVPN, different configs in the torrent client, ports, port forwarding, different mixes of TCP/UDP, nothing makes a difference. The only thing that seems to make a difference is which trackers are associated with which torrent.

Have you tried downloading a legit thing from a sketchy tracker? They're not exactly known for their proliferation of seeders.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Assuming the VPNs you tried were working properly, theres no way Shaw would have been able to detect which trackers you were connecting to.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Was also wondering if there was an issue with magnet links vs. "legit" ones.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hungry Computer posted:

Assuming the VPNs you tried were working properly, theres no way Shaw would have been able to detect which trackers you were connecting to.

Yeah, I don't know what it is really. Prior to about a month ago, even the slowest torrents I tried were at about 6mbs. Now I haven't seen one break 3, and usually they're at 1.5 or less. Except boring poo poo like the aforementioned distros and the like which will come down the pipe at 27mbs.

I typically use magnet links though, so maybe I'll try a non magnet tonight and see what turns up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
loving christ, turns out it was my VPN (PIA). Never had an issue with them before, and just assumed it was Shaw because the problems started when I got switched to their new billing and got a new modem from them. Which is weird, since PIA would deliver me some torrents, the boring poo poo, at good speeds, but suddenly the good stuff was slow.

Tried NordVPN, got slightly better, but not much. Now tried ExpressVPN, and everything I try chugs along nicely at 10+ megs a second.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, question to ask you guys that are more in the know than me. Might not be the best thread for it, but someone here might know.

My folks will be house-sitting for us late this summer when we are gone for a couple weeks. The problem I have is I cut the cord for TV literally 10 years ago, and my folks are old and still love watching TV. They have Telus Optic TV, and while I obviously don't, I do have 250/250 FTTH Telus as my ISP at my place and I have my place wired with CAT5 in every room.

Anyone know if the folks can simply bring their Telus TV box to my place, plug it into my network and get their TV service?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I think their TV box is provisioned by IP assigned at the router their house plugs into(I’m very wrong about what all that stuff is named. So it won’t work by just moving it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yeah if things worked that way there would be a thriving network of redflagdeals types organizing day-of-week set top box sharing circles.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well that sucks, thanks for being the debbie downers :(

Oh well, would have been an easy way to do it. Too easy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just tell them to bring their modem too

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Would that work?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because if it's anything like Bell's IPTV service it's based on their PPPoE credentials, which presumably they don't know, but are stored in the modem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmm, I think my modem ties into my FTTH though, so I am not sure how it would work with 2 modems.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm mostly joking and you'd have to swap your modem with theirs. This is not actually a practical recommendation.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So I'm looking at moving to a somewhat more rural location, and am trying to figure out my options for internet. Bell & Teksavvy indicate 50mb DSL is available, however I'm concerned that I won't see speeds anywhere near that amount given the location of the property. Is there any way to verify what speed would be available without having a tech come out to check?

Cable is unfortunately not available.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

slidebite posted:

Hey, question to ask you guys that are more in the know than me. Might not be the best thread for it, but someone here might know.

My folks will be house-sitting for us late this summer when we are gone for a couple weeks. The problem I have is I cut the cord for TV literally 10 years ago, and my folks are old and still love watching TV. They have Telus Optic TV, and while I obviously don't, I do have 250/250 FTTH Telus as my ISP at my place and I have my place wired with CAT5 in every room.

Anyone know if the folks can simply bring their Telus TV box to my place, plug it into my network and get their TV service?

Download a bunch of their favourite TV shows and put it on shuffle lol. I’m sure they don’t like watching cable TV for the commercials, so they’ll probably like that solution even more

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TrueChaos posted:

So I'm looking at moving to a somewhat more rural location, and am trying to figure out my options for internet. Bell & Teksavvy indicate 50mb DSL is available, however I'm concerned that I won't see speeds anywhere near that amount given the location of the property. Is there any way to verify what speed would be available without having a tech come out to check?

Not unless there's already active service on that line. DSL is 100% dependant on line conditions so the best you'll get without testing it directly is whatever the providers' service db says is available.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Not unless there's already active service on that line. DSL is 100% dependant on line conditions so the best you'll get without testing it directly is whatever the providers' service db says is available.

Yeesh, that sucks. Place was built in the mid 80's and I doubt the phone line has been updated at all since then. Time to see if I can figure out what service the current owner has.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

TrueChaos posted:

House hunting in rural Ontario I've had good luck with a few things:

- If there's cable, there is likely cable internet
- If there's phone and it's the skinny brown posts on the yards, likely no internet
- If you see the larger cabinets and/or the light teal plastic posts then you might be able to get DSL
- More often than you'd think a rural provider may have run fibre, it's worth a look

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Lots of phone companies are running fibre in old copper areas just because it isn't that much more to run fibre compared to running all new copper lines

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

House hunting in rural Ontario I've had good luck with a few things:

- If there's cable, there is likely cable internet
- If there's phone and it's the skinny brown posts on the yards, likely no internet
- If you see the larger cabinets and/or the light teal plastic posts then you might be able to get DSL
- More often than you'd think a rural provider may have run fibre, it's worth a look

No cable, unfortunately. It's these kind of posts:

So I'm thinking that I'm out of luck.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

No cable, unfortunately. It's these kind of posts:

So I'm thinking that I'm out of luck.

I meant the utility posts on the lawn, like those brown skinny boxes. Given that picture though I'm guessing you're SOL. What part of Canada is this?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Lots of phone companies are running fibre in old copper areas just because it isn't that much more to run fibre compared to running all new copper lines

Not to mention how cheap it is. I had a nice talk with the Execulink installer Foreman out near Mount Elgin, Ontario and he was pumped about how fast they could lay fibre. No legal or easement issues, the county gives the blessing and they're able to just bury fibre near the ditch kilometres per day. The only thing that slows them down is digging out the vaults in front of peoples houses. When they sign up they run a cable to the house.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

8ender posted:

I meant the utility posts on the lawn, like those brown skinny boxes. Given that picture though I'm guessing you're SOL. What part of Canada is this?

South of Ottawa, kinda close to the rideau Carlton raceway.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So at some point Bell's changed their gigabit from 1,000/100 to 1,000/940 :psyduck:

I ain't complaining.

Anything to get symmetrical connections IMO.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
It started rolling out in April. They're calling it 'Pure fibre'.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
So Shaw is like 1s of latency, .3 down and up. Obviously something going on for all of B.C.

I call into business support since I pay for a business connection, the guy on the other end says everything looks fine and bypass my router if I want help.

I tell him this is obviously a province wide issue and if they have any eta on an actual resolution to the problem and he says there is no problem and then gave me sass for calling in because it’s 1am.

loving hate telecom in this country. I hate it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Hey it just came back up. Time to send my recording of these fuckin douchenozzle techs to someone higher up at Shaw.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Nitr0 posted:

Hey it just came back up. Time to send my recording of these fuckin douchenozzle techs to someone higher up at Shaw.

Throw it up on the internet somewhere, I'd be interested to hear it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Incidentally, gently caress Shaw for their "No techs needed to actually flip the button to activate this but gently caress you were gonna drag it out till the 12th anyway cause we gotta make our poo poo prices look enticing somehow lol" poo poo.

E: Before that person tries, no, I did not purchase internet today and expect immediate activation. This was scheduled for the 5th originally on the 26th when I paid for it. Then Shaw delayed cause lolololol.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 6, 2018

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

spoof posted:

It started rolling out in April. They're calling it 'Pure fibre'.

I won't be in the market to switch until my contracts up next March, so I haven't been paying attention to what's going on lol.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I got an ad from Rogers offering gigabit internet. The fine print says up to 500 Mbps. What kind of Hollywood math is this?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

I got an ad from Rogers offering gigabit internet. The fine print says up to 500 Mbps. What kind of Hollywood math is this?

The joys of regulatory capture. What are you gonna do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

If you use gigabits as a unit of measurement, then it's gigabit internet. You get* 0.5 of them.

* Up to

mewse
May 2, 2006

The port on the cablemodem will negotiate to gigabit ethernet

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

500Mbps down + 500 Mbps up = Gigabit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Coxswain Balls posted:

500Mbps down + 500 Mbps up = Gigabit

Zero sum internet