Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/PitcherList/status/991478015606624258

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

it's been....man I can't even recall how many years...that I have been legit excited for a Braves season/lineup, this is great

like even if they pick tomorrow to go 10-60 it will still be beyond what I was hoping for, what a fun team

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/991482519924097024

:suicide:

Every team in the NL West is going to run out of players before the end of the season.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Maybe the Astros should give some of that pine tar to their hitters...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sometimes baseball is great and Ken Giles tries to break his own jaw.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

seriously, why did Giles try to break his whole face? there's intense and then there's that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that was seriously a post meltdown meltdown for the books.

https://twitter.com/tomhanslin/status/991511021159374848

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 2, 2018

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The urge to punch Giles in the face was too much for even Giles to ignore

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bonus David Cone re-enactment.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I think Mike Soroka is going to be a Good Pitcher.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's nasty

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Had a notification from MLB At-Bat with a little Statcast video about Acuña's speed on his double and infield single tonight. I wasn't actually paying attention at the time of the single and didn't realize how rad it was -- this wasn't a ball hit into a gap and a fielder comes up with it but just can't make a play; Frazier had to charge for it, but directly toward first, got it cleanly, make a strong throw and Acuña just beat it. He's fast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I caught a little of the Mets/Braves game and the Braves just seem like a fun young team watch. I'm sure there will be growing pains but like the team collectively looked like a bunch of kids and its just really cool.

Of course long term I can't imagine that making for a great record.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/BallparkVids/status/991518705749319680

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Boy howdy I wish the Twins would stop being hot loving garbage sometime soon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that was seriously a post meltdown meltdown for the books.

https://twitter.com/tomhanslin/status/991511021159374848

Should have hit harder and put himself on the DL imo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Bonus David Cone re-enactment.

I love Cone in the booth so much.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

Boy howdy I wish the Twins would stop being hot loving garbage sometime soon.

But not tomorrow, please.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Astros don't deserve Verlander anymore, please return him to Detroit

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Nah, send him to Seattle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Comptroll The Forums posted:

New York gets him now, that's the rules.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Dodgers season over. RIP

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Mariners starting off the month right.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Dodgers season over. RIP

Not looking good at all. Bullpen just a total dumpster fire.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
A long rich history of cheaters. I hope Trevor is successful in uncovering this cheating, so that the Cubs are last true WS champs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

It is really loving surreal watching Kershaw not only throw 88, but completely miss his spot such that a call for down and in ends up belt high right over the middle.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't understand the obsession with exit velocity on hits these days. All it tells you is "hard hit ball is hit hard". What am I missing? Why are people attaching them to every big hit these days?

Average velocity for a player could be a useful measure over a long term, but I don't get popping it up over the replay of every dong hit.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if your numbers go up, it means you're having more fun

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't understand the obsession with exit velocity on hits these days. All it tells you is "hard hit ball is hit hard". What am I missing? Why are people attaching them to every big hit these days?

Average velocity for a player could be a useful measure over a long term, but I don't get popping it up over the replay of every dong hit.

hifi posted:

if your numbers go up, it means you're having more fun

Thats my basic take from it. Baseball is full of fairly meaningless stats and "that home run was hit hard" "how hard was it bob?" "exactly this hard which is really hard because we can measure that now" instead of just "uhh looked really hard!" is one of them.

I don't take it as meaning much of anything, other then maybe "there wasn't much time to react to that line drive and that guy did or didn't do it" which also is just sort of like "oh okay cool I guess".

Basically they are telling you because now they can, im sure you know this but thats pretty much it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Can they tell us if a ball was too high to be a home run yet?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Some Numbers posted:

They're absolutely hammering the ball right now and it is fun as hell

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Can they tell us if a ball was too high to be a home run yet?

Whadda you mean too high?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I think Mike Soroka is going to be a Good Pitcher.

It's only May 2nd but this Braves' season already feels like what it usually feels like when something special is happening for a team. Even the guys who get called up hastily can't fail.

I'm so happy for Albies. He has always been a great kid who seems to love spending time with fans and he's got a very easy demeanor. I think he will really be able to handle the spotlight if he continues to excel.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I showed this to my wife (we pulled the goalie recently) and she was not amused. Meeting Rizzo will not be a reason to push things back.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

GOMS

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Because laser beam homers are fun as hell

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Exit velocity, launch angle, and flight time are cool new stats that have just recently become available in the last few years.

I still think that the combination of those new stats would make for a better and more accurate metric than babip as far as telling if a player is getting unlucky with line drives or lucky with ground balls and bloopers. Though with the amount of dingers the average player hits now babip is painting an even smaller picture than before.

E: I'm sure some old dude was complaining about speed guns that could track pitch velocity way back in the day. More data is better than less data, harder hit balls are better than soft hit balls.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

Exit velocity, launch angle, and flight time are cool new stats that have just recently become available in the last few years.

I still think that the combination of those new stats would make for a better and more accurate metric than babip as far as telling if a player is getting unlucky with line drives or lucky with ground balls and bloopers. Though with the amount of dingers the average player hits now babip is painting an even smaller picture than before.

BACON is better than BABIP for batters, it just isn't as widely available. The biggest problem with exit velo/launch angle and the "Hit Probability" stat they derived is that it doesn't use direction of the ball at all, which is pretty drat important.

Also either launch angle or exit velo used on their own without the other is dumb, useless, and probably being used to mislead you. That said, hell yeah I wanna know how hard dudes are launching the ball on majestic homers, that's just fun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What was that site a few years ago where you could look up any pitcher in MLB and there would be gifs of their full repertoire of pitches? Is that still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so here's a semi-serious question: is there any chance the dodgers dangle kershaw if their season really does go fart? i am assuming he'll opt out, and he'd bring a fortune in Baseball Commodities back if they do indeed decide to walk away from the wreckage

• Locked thread