Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Grand Fromage posted:

I wasn't replying to you, just a general warning after I went there to check something out and saw what sort of stuff is on the front page.

poo poo, sorry bro. They usually delineate books and show with disambiguation pages. I basically pop in to read backstory via search function and then close it when I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's a good warning. I looked something up on the wiki and was like, "oh hot drat," because of an off-handed reference in the first paragraph.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I had a plot point of Knights of the Old Republic spoiled for me because I was browsing something that I thought was unrelated on Wookieepedia. Don't go to any fan wikis unless you're all caught up on something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Milo and POTUS posted:

poo poo, sorry bro. They usually delineate books and show with disambiguation pages. I basically pop in to read backstory via search function and then close it when I'm done.

Is cool. I just went to check something and was surprised how quickly I ran into massive spoilers.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

drewhead posted:

In the books it is explained that rail gun rounds travel at a a speed that approaches C. So no, you're not going to see something coming at you at a speed that is indeterminate from that of light.

Yeah, you can, through two avenues.

One, the firing signature will be enormous. Every bit of kinetic energy carried by the projectile needs to be given to it by the launcher, which means the energy input is going to be roughly equivalent to the big boom when it impacts.

Two, if it's moving arbitrarily close to c (which it might not be, but hell, let's go with it), the projectile's going to be forward-scattering gamma radiation off of whatever interplanetary dust or hydrogen atoms it's hitting on its way out. Those gammas will be moving *at* c, so you'd get some warning based on the speed difference.

But really it's the first one. You might not see the bullet heading your way, but you'll sure see the muzzle flash from the gun that fired it.

Phi230 posted:

Nobody uses optical telescopes to track ships because they fell out of popularity after Transponders were standard. Going dark is as easy as turning your transponder off and not receiving or sending any emissions

Barring magical stealth tech, you're going to be emitting IR and will show up like a flare. The Martian stealth tech is basically a magical method to prevent IR emissions.

Everyone should read Stross's Iron Sunrise if you like the whole relativistic kill vehicle + space base planetbusting deterrent force thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

404notfound posted:

Don't go to any fan wikis

This is just good advice in general.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

One, the firing signature will be enormous. Every bit of kinetic energy carried by the projectile needs to be given to it by the launcher, which means the energy input is going to be roughly equivalent to the big boom when it impacts.

There was some “marines in space” series of books (I think it was a trilogy of trilogies, each covering a different time span). In one the early books the three super powers are the US, UN (really the EU, but this was written pre-EU I think) and China.

There’s a low key shooting —well, I hesitate to call it an all out war— incident where the Chinese were attempting a sneak attack on a scientific outpost on Europa. Events are to the point were things are kicking off and a bunch of projectiles on a ballistic trajectory seemingly appear out of nowhere and take out the USN Battleship/Dreadnaught that’s providing orbital support. It hits like a shotgun blast. Shortly before the Chinese ship’s orbit had carried it to the other side of Europa.

Turns out before everyone had hauled rear end out to this outpost, the Chinese had sent a task group out above the elliptical and then there were a bunch of very large fusion explosions that observers wrote off as weapons tests. But the Chinese had used the EM blanket created from that to disguise the firing of their rail guns so the projectiles would intersect on the probable orbital positions of the USN ship above the lab. Six months in the future.

I always though that was one of the neatest depictions of how to conceal things like that. The Roci taking out the UN ship reminding me strongly of that.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, you can, through two avenues.

Both of those things are traveling towards you at the speed of C form the source which for practical intents is the same location as the round . So yea, technically I concede the point. Whatever fraction less than C that the round is actually traveling would be some delta difference of warning right?. I just took their description of being indistinguishable at face value. If one can't distinguish between those two speeds then can one really perceive between flash and boom?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drewhead posted:

Both of those things are traveling towards you at the speed of C form the source which for practical intents is the same location as the round . So yea, technically I concede the point. Whatever fraction less than C that the round is actually traveling would be some delta difference of warning right?. I just took their description of being indistinguishable at face value. If one can't distinguish between those two speeds then can one really perceive between flash and boom?
I'm fairly sure the books or the series never claim railgun shots are at a speed indistinguishable from C.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

drewhead posted:

It can't be the same speed of c, it must be slower. It can be slower to an arbitrarily small degree, but there must be *some* finite interval between flash and boom, and yes, that interval would depend on on difference in speed times the range to the target.

In the Expanse universe I think railguns fire at some some small percentage of c, at most. Firing projectiles at anywhere close to the speed of light would represent a level of tech that's far beyond the context of that universe. Like, the protomolecule could do it, but it's not the kind of thing humans in the Expanse can mount on battleships; a 1 kilogram mass traveling at .99c would have a kinetic energy of 5.4E17 joules, or in the ever-popular tons-of-TNT reference, a yield of 138 megatons. That's not the kind of thing that punches holes in an orbiting deterrence satellite which then explodes, that's the kind of thing that turns the whole thing into a rapidly expanding cloud of plasma the instant it makes contact.

Proteus Jones posted:

Turns out before everyone had hauled rear end out to this outpost, the Chinese had sent a task group out above the elliptical and then there were a bunch of very large fusion explosions that observers wrote off as weapons tests. But the Chinese had used the EM blanket created from that to disguise the firing of their rail guns so the projectiles would intersect on the probable orbital positions of the USN ship above the lab. Six months in the future.

Man, I remember something exactly like that in a book I read, but I've never read something with spehss marines and Chinese forces. Now this is bothering me.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Proteus Jones posted:

There was some “marines in space” series of books (I think it was a trilogy of trilogies, each covering a different time span). In one the early books the three super powers are the US, UN (really the EU, but this was written pre-EU I think) and China.

There’s a low key shooting —well, I hesitate to call it an all out war— incident where the Chinese were attempting a sneak attack on a scientific outpost on Europa. Events are to the point were things are kicking off and a bunch of projectiles on a ballistic trajectory seemingly appear out of nowhere and take out the USN Battleship/Dreadnaught that’s providing orbital support. It hits like a shotgun blast. Shortly before the Chinese ship’s orbit had carried it to the other side of Europa.

I always though that was one of the neatest depictions of how to conceal things like that. The Roci taking out the UN ship reminding me strongly of that.

The Heritage, Legacy and Inheritance trilogies by William H. Keith Jr. Dude's got a bit of a right-wing slant to his books but is pretty good at battle scenes and realistic depictions of technology (even if the technology being depicted isn't realistic, it usually does exactly what its description says it should do). IIRC an alien space station gets taken out by a hyperaccelerated cargo of sand in one of the books.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Polaron posted:

IIRC an alien space station gets taken out by a hyperaccelerated cargo of sand in one of the books.

I want to say this was also a plot point in the Seafort saga though its been quite a while since I've read them.
The books are not... great.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Stable orbits don't. A massive explosion imparts new velocity vectors, and all it takes is a little nudge to degrade an orbit and set it on a reentry trajectory. If it was in Earth orbit, I'd say they'd probably burn up in the atmosphere, but Mars doesn't really have much of that.
Deimos orbits pretty far away from Mars. Phobos is the close one that would probably be both economically important and more damaging to the planet if it was fragmented. Mars has enough of an atmosphere that fragments from tiny rock in a distant orbit like Deimos probably isn't going to cause much damage to the surface at all.

Deimos is tiny and insignificant, and the only real reason people are upset is at the principle of losing a moon (and a small military base).

Eiba fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 1, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah even outside of the sci-fi sphere I'm a real sucker for military plans that are months in the making or that involve elaborate concealment of what you're up to. There are of course numerous actual historical cases of insane battle plans as well, where even when the loss of life sucks to think about the strategy can be really interesting.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow the wiki says the moon's got a population of a cool billion.

It's fun to wonder how many people might be living in Antarctica, if they managed to make the moon hospitable enough for a billion people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kassad posted:

It's fun to wonder how many people might be living in Antarctica, if they managed to make the moon hospitable enough for a billion people.

What would they do? I assume the people on the moon extract helium or minerals or whatever. What do they do in Antarctica?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Well Antarctica might have mineral deposits worth going after, and depending on what climate change did to the region, it may be more inhabitable than you're thinking in the post-climate change world of the Expanse.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
In the opening credits, we see the statue of liberty being put behind a sea wall, and when Bobby goes to see the ocean she's essentially sitting in front of one as well. Think it's safe to say that Antarctica is fairly habitable in this timeline.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
30 billion people live on earth and they melted the ice caps.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Phi230 posted:

30 billion people live on earth and they melted the ice caps.

Thanos was right.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Blackchamber posted:

Thanos was right.

Yeah but he also could just snap his fingers and make enough poo poo and room for everyone if he really wanted to sooooooooo... :shrug:

Grand Fromage posted:

For the spoiler avoiders, don't go to the wiki. There's pretty big ones just right up front.

drat, that sucks. Was it the show wiki? loving hell...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blackchamber posted:

Thanos was right.

Nah Malthus was a dumb bitch and so are people who buy into overpopulation rhetoric

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phi230 posted:

Nah Malthus was a dumb bitch and so are people who buy into overpopulation rhetoric

It was cooler and way more relatable when he was doing it to get a goth gf

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Polaron posted:

The Heritage, Legacy and Inheritance trilogies by William H. Keith Jr. Dude's got a bit of a right-wing slant to his books but is pretty good at battle scenes and realistic depictions of technology (even if the technology being depicted isn't realistic, it usually does exactly what its description says it should do). IIRC an alien space station gets taken out by a hyperaccelerated cargo of sand in one of the books.

Is Ian Douglas his pen name? Because I got curious and dug through some of my book boxes and found them but they have Ian Douglas as the author.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Phi230 posted:

He might've been wrong in some ways, but lol if you don't think that endless growth of energy consumption is something that we as a species can sustain forever.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Proteus Jones posted:

Is Ian Douglas his pen name? Because I got curious and dug through some of my book boxes and found them but they have Ian Douglas as the author.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Keith_Jr.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Turn the Roci into an A-10 and put a big ol fuckin rail gun right on the front.

If you like railgun rabbit holes and have an advanced degree in hyperbolic topology.

Nerd out.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1709.05901.pdf

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
There is a space manoeuvre in the Startide Rising, where the dolphins dump a load of water in their wake for a flotilla of chasing galactic fanatics to run into at near c.

I really enjoyed 5 of the uplift books, The Uplift War is as good an example of Planetary Romance that you will find. Brightness Reef (is it just the first half?) is as bad as TUW is good but it is worth slogging through as the two after that are A grade for multiple :ohdear: galaxy spanning grand space opera. I must dig out my copies for a reread...

Phoneposting.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Collateral posted:

There is a space manoeuvre in the Startide Rising, where the dolphins dump a load of water in their wake for a flotilla of chasing galactic fanatics to run into at near c.

I really enjoyed 5 of the uplift books, The Uplift War is as good an example of Planetary Romance that you will find. Brightness Reef (is it just the first half?) is as bad as TUW is good but it is worth slogging through as the two after that are A grade for multiple :ohdear: galaxy spanning grand space opera. I must dig out my copies for a reread...

Phoneposting.

I wish he'd write another one of those. lots of stuff hinted at in the later books that never got resolved.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wes Chatham's kids learning BJJ is the best thing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiQCPzqnD5X/

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

giving a child that haircut is unconscionable

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Rocksicles posted:

Interesting that he looks like a fun guy and someone you dont want to mess with at the same time, a bit like Amos

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Bad timing, I know.

https://giant.gfycat.com/WillingWealthyCoypu.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/FatherlyScratchyGossamerwingedbutterfly.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/ShadowySpryGarpike.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/PeskyHeartyGlowworm.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/SpottedShorttermAnglerfish.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/CostlyGregariousIcterinewarbler.mp4
https://giant.gfycat.com/HomelyHighFoal.mp4

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Shohreh Aghdashloo is 65 years old but i still would :shobon:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I just want her to read me a bedtime story.

https://twitter.com/AndrewRotilio/status/991823108486000640

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

What time does the latest episode show up on iTunes/Amazon? Midnight EST?

I am disappointed in SyFy's insistence on censoring Best Character's fucks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Well, I guess everybody saw that coming except for Alex. :downsgun:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Avasarala in that flight suit makes me feel all sorts of weird.

I’m very thrilled Drummer is taking over the Space Mormon Battleship.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

pick a side holden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
"poo poo." :smug: